As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tam and Friends [DOODLE] Hour [NSFW]

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    2061tsm.jpg
    Sonic wrote: »
    Trying to shake the rust off

061913-wdish.jpg
    Kallisti wrote: »
    shanna_cundal_card_illustration_by_kalikopia-d69s41z.jpg

Calling this one finished, I've been toiling away at it for ages and I'm ready to move on. Thanks a million to @angel_of_bacon for being super informative and helpful!

Tam on
    akbzuw.jpg

262v8jk.jpg

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I found this neat glass sculpture in greg's pocket, and started to paint it along with my lighter. Trying to really look, and it's taking a looong time. any trick to block in color faster? or is it just practice. I tend to work light on a white BG then add a layer and go darker. Its been taking a while.
    pipe_zps4586bae0.jpg

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    HellAngel of BaconBoy cross post from the chat thread because hey, why not

DSC_0160.jpg

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    @NakedZergling - Interesting glass sculpture!

@Tam - Damn you Tam! Why do you make it look so easy??

• SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular

061913-housecause2.jpg
    O_o

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    AoB's lecture to kallisti inspired me to do a few of these duel lighsource selfy's.
    this is on of em, Work in progress.

null_zps5bec44ca.jpg

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I found this neat glass sculpture in greg's pocket, and started to paint it along with my lighter. Trying to really look, and it's taking a looong time. any trick to block in color faster? or is it just practice. I tend to work light on a white BG then add a layer and go darker. Its been taking a while.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/rabidwombat/pipe_zps4586bae0.jpg

Without really seeing your process it's hard to say. I think a pretty okay operating procedure is to block in the basic colors as soon as you can with the values mostly where they should be, and then refine from there. I see a lot of white halos around some of the color blocks, which tells me you're laying in your colors in these kind of discrete groups. There's nothing necessarily wrong with doing that, but it can make it difficult to get a really good sense of what a color or tone should be if you're just laying it down straight onto white.

If you do a neutral tone wash (like a median gray, or a color group that mostly occurs in the study) over your sketch, it can help in a lot of ways. First, it removes the psychological barrier of having blank space, because everything has a tone or a color. Second, by setting up a tone, it's a lot easier to calibrate the rest of the colors and values relative to that. Since our perception of color and value is pretty much entirely affected by their relationship to each other, getting basic colors blocked out as quickly as possible and tweaking them from there is a lot easier than trying to paint straight onto a white canvas. Getting all of the colors into the study as early as possible, even if they're just sort of in the right ballpark, is better than spending a lot of time trying to get exactly the right color for a shadow on your first stroke.

Fugitive on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/rabidwombat/pipe_zps4586bae0.jpg

Without really seeing your process it's hard to say. I think a pretty okay operating procedure is to block in the basic colors as soon as you can with the values mostly where they should be, and then refine from there. I see a lot of white halos around some of the color blocks, which tells me you're laying in your colors in these kind of discrete groups. There's nothing necessarily wrong with doing that, but it can make it difficult to get a really good sense of what a color or tone should be if you're just laying it down straight onto white.

If you do a neutral tone wash (like a median gray, or a color group that mostly occurs in the study) over your sketch, it can help in a lot of ways. First, it removes the psychological barrier of having blank space, because everything has a tone or a color. Second, by setting up a tone, it's a lot easier to calibrate the rest of the colors and values relative to that. Since our perception of color and value is pretty much entirely affected by their relationship to each other, getting basic colors blocked out as quickly as possible and tweaking them from there is a lot easier than trying to paint straight onto a white canvas. Getting all of the colors into the study as early as possible, even if they're just sort of in the right ballpark, is better than spending a lot of time trying to get exactly the right color for a shadow on your first stroke.

good stuff! THANK YOU. I think i saved layers to show process. i don't know how to make a gif so ill post them in sequence.
    pipeprogress_zps9bbc4b7d.jpg

• fourtyjrfourtyjr Somerville, MARegistered User new member
    edited June 2013
    Hey peeps! I've been lurking here for ages (on and off for years) but never quite worked up the nerve to post.

Decided to finally give it a shot with a bit of fan art I started yesterday.

I'm not quite done yet. Still have to do a detail pass on Ellie's face and the Clicker, but I think Joel is pretty much done. Think I might make the thing they're leaning on a bit more interesting when I'm done too.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add a brick.

The coloring style is heavily influenced (pretty much straight lifted) from @Chipps Pete Cambell gif which I thought was friggen awesome.

Any thoughts/crits welcome!

ALDa85T.jpg

fourtyjr on
  • KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    speedpaint01.jpg

Gonna try to push myself to do a speedpaint a day =P

• Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Guh, environments and design, my greatest weaknesses.

environment_desert_tower_zps2ada9d39.jpg

EDIT: One more:

environment_abu_dhabi_zpse9ec0b42.jpg
    Ref

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    VikingKing from a g+ hangout art session with buddies.
    pv6cuDM.jpg

Trying to be more "painterly" no ref...
    paint_zpsd995013c.jpg

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Incredibly cool Zerg. The light from the eye looks awesome.

m3nace on
    nwhrgj.jpg

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
  • SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    Sometimes I comic make (spoilt for h-scroll)
    tumblr_mou545SkLM1sucozqo1_1280.jpg

• MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    @Sonic You need to comic make more! I'm really liking it.

MuddyParasol on
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    Went to a sketch group thing and was told to redesign a character whose design I hated. I thought about it for 5 minutes then was just like, "Of course."

tidus_redesign_zpsc68350dd.jpg

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    hatchet comic

the kind of girl who keeps a hatchet in her purse?
    probably has an ax to grind
    womp womp

• SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    hatchet comic

the kind of girl who keeps a hatchet in her purse?
    probably has an ax to grind
    womp womp

Well he did make her his axe girlfriend. :winky:

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    Oh shit you guys! Stop this madness!!

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I had sitting on an idea for an axe joke, but I couldn't hatchet.

ninjai on
  • Monkey BoxMonkey Box Registered User regular
    Haven't posted in awhile. Ya know its getting too talented in here when you're nervous to post in the doodle thread. Well, here goes.

PicsArt_1372059528741_zps890a546b.jpg

Crashino hunks break yer bones
  • fourtyjrfourtyjr Somerville, MARegistered User new member
    Now that I've broken the posting barrier, gonna try putting another one out there.

Have a campaign running and last week, my dude (Manotaur) found a fancy new pair of gloves with a pretty epic description. Decided they needed to be drawn.

hRwXdY6.jpg

• zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    Oooof moving sucks. Here's something.

Kkg6SKB.jpg

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    that is quite something

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    Not my usual fare, but here's a simple loop of character from a comic I'm working on titled "Load"

vUU1jaP.gif

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    fZkbxyl.png

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    speedy Death Valley from photoref.
    doodle2013-6-24.jpg

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    From my webcomic, Magenta the Witchgirl.

Magenta-explains-it-all_zpsfd5876a8.jpg

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    There be some wicked arts a droppin' on this page.

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    spock1.png
    The likeness is pretty awful, but oh well.

I can't paint without reference anymore. And painting with reference is less exciting than just taking off with my imagination. I need to study the way light and atmosphere affects environments so I can just get my wacky ideas onto paper without stressing over the fundamentals so much.

Mangoes on
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I recognized Leonard Nimoy almost instantly.

His expression kinda reminds me of this guy. The colors are nice. Also, dat lens flare.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hah, well funny you say Leonard Nimoy! It was actually based on Zachary Quinto; but the only reason I stopped trying to fiddle with the likeness was that I found it to be an interesting mix of the two Spocks.

Also that lower lip is totally bothering me. hah

Mangoes on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Another photoref speedy, of something that is probably the dumbest thing in the world to try to paint quickly.
    doodle2013-6-25.jpg