As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTN: Smelly Nerds

ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
**Allow me to preface this by saying that I am not using the term "nerd" in a derogatory sense. I am simply referring to the culture of folks who read this.**

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start showering. And brushing your teeth. Perhaps even change your shirt every now and then.

While at the concert last night I was CONVINCED that someone nearby was blowing ass throughout the whole Freezepop set. Finally I tracked it down - there was a guy standing next to me with greasy, long, unwashed hair. Every time he breathed in my direction it smelled like I was head-fisting a dead horse. I'm not saying that I am necessarily the epitome of hygiene, but how can you not smell that kind of odour coming off of yourself? It borders on offensive.

In fact, if you know that you were the guy that so revolted me with your AoE stench, please see me and I will buy you a bar of soap and some Old Spice.

Chizzer on

• SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LoL one booth was handing out soap. Dont recall what one.

I was not said guy... i've showered and brushed my teeth so im good.

Even changed clothes ~_^

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • KirbyPuckettKirbyPuckett Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I told some guy he smelled like Taco Bell and that he should shower.

Also, wear a fucking belt! During the 1-Up panel this guy in front was not wearing a belt and I saw his entire hairy ass like 100 times.

KirbyPuckett on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i don't think anyone would take "nerd" in a derrogatory way. i do agree, though. some of the "fluffier" people get quite a pungent odor to them.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • EskimoAznEskimoAzn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was walking in the Exhibition Hall, and kept smelling this...fart odor.
    I think this guy walking in front of me was letting out some gas continuously.
    Anyway, I tried to walk past him so I wouldn't have to smell it, but he was walking too fast (possibly to get rid of the "evidence trail!") and there was no room for me to move aside (man, it was so packed in there), soo...I had to hold my breath for like...2 minutes.
    I thought I was going to pass out and die!

EskimoAzn on
    "It's because I'm an Asian, isn't it???"
  • DrowsyKittenDrowsyKitten Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Only at giant nerd infestations (and perhaps 3-day marathon events) will you find endless waves of disturbing and varied body odors. Now, I understand that nerds are naturally repulsed by the idea of good hygiene and <gasp> deodorant, but surely this does not mean we should lose hope in them.

My suggestion for next year? See if you can't get a deodorant company as a sponsor, and provide samples for distribution at your event. Axe, for instance, has definite appeal to the opposite sex while retaining the dignity of man over cosmetics. Breath mint distribution is a good start, but think of how much more can be done to increase the appeal of mass nerd gatherings!

Not to mention, you might just save a nerd from his curse of perpetual virginity.

Suggestion paid for by the Association of Women Against AOE Stench.

DrowsyKitten on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No Axe. Axe sucks.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MorelloMorello Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Axe works just fine :)

Yes, please, it's been said but please don't set the nerd movement back another 5 years by being "that guy." Shower, wear clean clothes, use deodorant, and keep yourself groomed. Take multiple showers a day if you need to -- feel better and get a chance with "that cute chick you saw."

This is a -girl- telling you this, guys. Hell, they're the only reason most of wear pants, let's bathe while we're at it :P

Morello on
  • megormegor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God, the smells have been BAD.

There was a polite ask that people SHOWER before, but alas no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxdRitYd0ng

megor on
  • Runningblind0913Runningblind0913 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Chizzer wrote: »
    **Allow me to preface this by saying that I am not using the term "nerd" in a derogatory sense. I am simply referring to the culture of folks who read this.**

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start showering. And brushing your teeth. Perhaps even change your shirt every now and then.

While at the concert last night I was CONVINCED that someone nearby was blowing ass throughout the whole Freezepop set. Finally I tracked it down - there was a guy standing next to me with greasy, long, unwashed hair. Every time he breathed in my direction it smelled like I was head-fisting a dead horse. I'm not saying that I am necessarily the epitome of hygiene, but how can you not smell that kind of odour coming off of yourself? It borders on offensive.

In fact, if you know that you were the guy that so revolted me with your AoE stench, please see me and I will buy you a bar of soap and some Old Spice.

Did you actually find the source? I was in the middle of the zerg and I was getting the same smell of nauseating stench, it was so bad (adding to a band I already do not like) that I just had to leave. By the time I made it outside the zerg though the air was noticeably more breathable.

Runningblind0913 on
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, the source was just the dude beside me and his overwhelming shield of -1 social humanism.

Chizzer on
  • Runningblind0913Runningblind0913 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God it was disgusting, I mean, I expected smells, and until then they where surprisingly mild. Even the guys you expected that wouldn't shower had. But that smell was physically revolting to the point where I just couldn't take it.

Runningblind0913 on
  • uxaxiuxaxi Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    For serious.

I actually believe people shower before they go, but some just don't clean between their fat rolls well enough.

Thats where the smell comes from.

I think = \

uxaxi on
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't really smell too much bad body odor but I did smell some pretty nasty farts. They were groooooooooooooooss, haha. :-)

Dopeski on
  • FeWbEeRsFeWbEeRs Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Large crowd, packed tightly together around a small stage, add mr never left my mothers basement but to go to PAX, could possible equal the worst smell ever...

Indeed I too had to leave numerous times to just get a breath of fresh from all the people crammed in one area....but seriously what and the hell did you expect? it to smell of flowers?

FeWbEeRs on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    3 days
    3 showers
    WTF is wrong with people.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I went to PAX yesterday and no one really stank.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Most of the time, it was fine. But occasionally ... yeah, it was bad. All it takes is for that one guy to show up within your vicinity, to ruin your day.

I was pleased that during the 1UP Yours panel, even though we were all pretty tightly packed, no one reeked. I could enjoy the panel in peace. :)

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't have a chance to sweat - I'm about 5'10 and 160lbs - with not enough fat on me to insulate myself. The AC has had me in a near hypothermic state for 3 days. It's bloody cold in here.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • LacoLaco Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I was actually able to recognize people on Sunday that I had seen on Friday, because they were wearing the same shirts.

Laco on
  • EskimoAznEskimoAzn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Laco wrote: »
    I was actually able to recognize people on Sunday that I had seen on Friday, because they were wearing the same shirts.

Well, I guess as long as they didn't have much body odor...:|

EskimoAzn on
    "It's because I'm an Asian, isn't it???"
  • SimplicitySimplicity Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There should be no reason for them to wear the same shirt every day because with all the free swag you could get atleast shirts.

Also there are showers located in every hotel...with free soap. =].

Simplicity on
  • baubertbaubert Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Did you people not see the swag shirts that said "real nerds shower"? Those were amazing!

baubert on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah Technomancer Press was selling those.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There must be something about pax. TWICE I forgot to put on deodorant. Luckily I'm a girl and I hardly ever smell, so it wasn't noticeable.

I crossed paths with only two smelly people. unfortunately they smelled like urine. (no joke)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    baubert wrote: »
    Did you people not see the swag shirts that said "real nerds shower"? Those were amazing!

not swag, you had to buy those.

but still seroiusly during the concerts it got pretty bad at parts. usually though it was okay.

xxhennersxx on
  • StrawberryFieldsStrawberryFields Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah the concerts were the worst. Being packed together with a bunch of people who seemed to have trouble bathing regularly was difficult, especially when you end up next to somebody who obviously is very out of shape because walking around all day can be really hard, and can result in a lot of sweating.

I think that booths with hygiene products would be a fantastic idea. Also, above the urinals and on the backs of stall doors where you can read them from the toilet they could post maps to the nearest hygiene table, prefaced with a title that reads something like "It's been a long day of sweating and eating cheap junk food. You fucking stink, whether you realize it or not!" or a pop-up ad style flier with a concerned looking nerd and the phrase "Me? Stink up the exhibition hall? It's more likely than you think! Get deodorant now!"

StrawberryFields on
    <3
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I smelt no smellies at all.

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Most of the time, it was fine. But occasionally ... yeah, it was bad. All it takes is for that one guy to show up within your vicinity, to ruin your day.

I was pleased that during the 1UP Yours panel, even though we were all pretty tightly packed, no one reeked. I could enjoy the panel in peace. :)
    Unfortunately, this is not true. My "24-hour" deodorant began wearing off around the time that thing started, but I didn't want to lose my seat. So, my sincerest apologies to the people who had to sit next to me, especially for those times when I raised my camera above my head.

Apparently even hardcore extreme sports deodorant simply cannot withstand the rigors of a nerd convention.

Azio on
  • SylvanbabeSylvanbabe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah for escalaters! it's even worse when you are at a multi story convention and there is the stench left in the elevator.....

Sylvanbabe on
    ~Annichka~
  • StrawberryFieldsStrawberryFields Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this is not true. My "24-hour" deodorant began wearing off around the time that thing started, but I didn't want to lose my seat. So, my sincerest apologies to the people who had to sit next to me, especially for those times when I raised my camera above my head.

Apparently even hardcore extreme sports deodorant simply cannot withstand the rigors of a nerd convention.

But you tried, and for that we thank you. Chances are if you DID actually stink it was probably significantly less offensive than if you hadn't tried at all. :P I think at the end of Saturday night even I started to smell at least a little bit when I was dancing with my arms up in the air and I'm not very large, am a fairly active person regularly, and slathered on the deodorant at least twice that day. I think most of us were sweating from the walking and the carrying of lots of swag, the dancing at the concerts and being packed into crowds everywhere we went, and the drunken sweats for those of us who walked down the street, got drank in The Elephant or some other establishment, and came back to PAX. Considering how gross many of us were by the end of the day, I'd say that this year's odor issue has been significantly less of an issue since last year, and the year before that.

StrawberryFields on
    <3
  • HoolieHoolie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Enforcers ought to have the power to turn away people whose smell is especially offensive and who obviously haven't showered for a few days. It ruins it for other people.

Maybe they're people who didn't get a hotel room and just snuck around all night in the Convention Center all weekend...

Hoolie on
  • Mr. Bawls JanglesMr. Bawls Jangles Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not gona lie, I was smelling bad after Friday's concert. But it was not for lack of knowing how to use soap. Every day I was wearing deoderant and every day I showered. It really isn't that hard to take 10 minutes of your precious time to make sure that other people's experience at PAX is less enjoyable. True, nothing could keep PAX from being awesome(even over priced Bawls) but its just such an annoyance. Tip for next year for those who don't feel like showering: go to thinkgeek.com and buy the caffeinated soap. That way its a win-win situation.

Mr. Bawls Jangles on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If i ever reaked of anything it was whiskey... and that was way after PAX was done for the night on Friday.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It wasnt even always people that smelled bad, but people that would fart. I swear it smelled like something died in someone's pants when I was waiting in line for the GH2 tourney. People just need to just stop tearing their anus in public.

polishdog90 on
  • zyphlarzyphlar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It wasnt even always people that smelled bad, but people that would fart. I swear it smelled like something died in someone's pants when I was waiting in line for the GH2 tourney. People just need to just stop tearing their anus in public.

Haha with a Taco Del Mar downstairs I think that might be wishful thinking ;)

You know what I think the smell issue is? 30,000 people who sit on their ass all day suddenly mallwalking for 16 straight hours, with swag no less. "A shower every other day" suddenly becomes "Shower 3 times a day." It's like Nerd Boot Camp.

zyphlar on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry if I smelt like Chinese food at the first show, other then that, I was pretty safe.

teamquiggan on
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PAX07 smells were so much better than the smells of PAX06. A few times I 180'd out of a tabletop room because somebody had shit their pants in there but otherwise, the bad smells were generally fleeting.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • sarranadesarranade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Only at giant nerd infestations (and perhaps 3-day marathon events) will you find endless waves of disturbing and varied body odors. Now, I understand that nerds are naturally repulsed by the idea of good hygiene and <gasp> deodorant, but surely this does not mean we should lose hope in them.

My suggestion for next year? See if you can't get a deodorant company as a sponsor, and provide samples for distribution at your event. Axe, for instance, has definite appeal to the opposite sex while retaining the dignity of man over cosmetics. Breath mint distribution is a good start, but think of how much more can be done to increase the appeal of mass nerd gatherings!

Not to mention, you might just save a nerd from his curse of perpetual virginity.

Suggestion paid for by the Association of Women Against AOE Stench.

Could you imagine that smell?
    30,000 smelly, hairy nerds [i say that in love!] plus the Axe cover-up [so you can still smell the stench underneath, as well] all bunched together in one small place.
    Plus, bad breath.
    PLUS, ass cracks.
    Oh god.
    I'd rather have the natural body oder. :3

(Run-on sentences ftw)

sarranade on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I showered every day and refreshed my deodorant half way through a couple of the days when we went walking for like 9 blocks to find food rather than pay retarded hall prices.

This year though the odor was not nearly as bad as the other years. I think its partially people are getting better about it and better ventilation. There was one dude though, christ he was horrible. he really thought he was about 12 inches smaller around his waist than he was. He had a maroon shirt on and was always at the "we sell japanese crap" booth. He was scary and made my nose hurt so bad

Grath on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
This discussion has been closed.