As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - The thread is going down! Abandon thread, abandon thread!

19495969798100»

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    So, uh, I meant to buy this, and instead bought this.

I was very confused when I opened the box, this thing is tiny. It is astounding how similar the listings are, especially the price. I didn't even know these little things existed. Can I use this on the desktop I'm building? My mobo is a Gryphon Z87.

Looks like you can buy an mSATA to 2.5" SSD adapter cards for $20 but you might just want to return it?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    It will work, but your going to need an adapter for sata to msata. And those are $10-15, with the one you bought already being $5 more then a normal desktop version I would just send newegg an email and get an exchange.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    How do these adapters mount to the mobo?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    How do these adapters mount to the mobo?

It's either a cradle that goes around the msata ssd or just a cable, either way it plugs into your mobo like any other sata device.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    No, you'll have to send it back and order the right kind of drive. You might be able to buy a mSata adapters, but it would be easier to just send it back.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Nice. I shaved like $200-250 off. Now I have to decide if I still want to pay $169 for the Corsair 600T. A case in the $80 would be more practical but that stormtrooper look is so enticing.

As the owner of a 600T, I feel comfortable recommending that you get something else. Maybe one of the Fractal Design mid towers. The 600T is great to build in, but for the price you don't get the level of cooling you should, and it doesn't allow you to do much with the fan setup.

What of either of these?

Corsair 200R

Fractal Core 3000

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Ugh, that's annoying; everything else is here today. Oh well.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Nice. I shaved like $200-250 off. Now I have to decide if I still want to pay $169 for the Corsair 600T. A case in the $80 would be more practical but that stormtrooper look is so enticing.

As the owner of a 600T, I feel comfortable recommending that you get something else. Maybe one of the Fractal Design mid towers. The 600T is great to build in, but for the price you don't get the level of cooling you should, and it doesn't allow you to do much with the fan setup.

What of either of these?

Corsair 200R

Fractal Core 3000

At around that price range I'd go Bitfenix Shinobi.

At around $100 you could go with the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 or Define R4.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is it possible to find a USB 3.0 add in card with an internal header (my case supports 3.0 but my mobo predates it) that does not require molex or SATA power and works in a PCI-E 1X slot, or will I have to go with a powered card?

I don't even need USB 3.0 speeds, I just want to utilize the two non-functioning USB ports that are on the front of my case for other USB 2.0 things.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I don't know of an expansion card that isn't powered, likely due to how much power USB3.0 is rated to provide, but you can just get an adapter for the header itself.

You'll get 2.0 speeds (and power delivery, unfortunately) but at least they won't sit idle.

Also I've sent the message for the thread to be closed, and the new thread is here.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh lord. Upgraded from a Radeon HD 4870 to a 6870 last year. At first I wasn't seeing much improvement, but going back with my new monitor, I can play games fairly smoothly at 2560x1440 if I kill AA and shadows, keeping textures and the like high. So, definitely an improvement.

But looking at GTX 770 and having to tell myself I don't really need it.

but dang that would be a leap up

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
This discussion has been closed.