As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    ArchdukeFerdinandArchdukeFerdinand Registered User regular
    Assuming helmets are kosher, I'm planning on putting together the Biker from Hotline Miami. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    elleecstaticelleecstatic Registered User regular
    I wanted to go as FemShep but I like sitting down...

So probably my jedi consular from SWTOR and Flemeth from DA2 will show up @ PAX.
    Does anyone know if lightsabers can be carried onto a plane? I called the airlines and all I got was a "wha?"

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Helmets are fine.

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    I wanted to go as FemShep but I like sitting down..

Oh goodness you just made me laugh soooo hard. I have Shep armor. I have been to three cons in it now. Each time it is an inner battle of how long can I stand until I try to figure out a weird way to "sit". And we will call it sitting for the sake of me not having a better word. But really it is more like advanced leaning.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    KagzKagz OklahomaRegistered User regular
    So I have officially thrown out my original plans and I am pursuing getting an FFXIV archer/bard outfit done. I have been hooked sense i first got in the beta. Hopefully I am able to manage it.

• Options
    BoxerReneeBoxerRenee Registered User new member
    This is gonna be my first convention/cosplay. I'm going as Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, and I'm way too excited. Hopefully people will know what I'm from. :)

• Options
    WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Edit: sorry, wrong thread :p

WolfmanASTN on
  • Options
    yrocurpantzoffyrocurpantzoff Registered User new member
    This is going to be my first con cosplaying, and I'm going as Joel from The Last of Us for sure one day, and I'm shooting to get everything together for a Booker DeWitt one too,

Though, I'm debating with Joel if I should worry about the gas mask because I don't know how much of a hassle it would be to take even a very clearly fake one on an airplane.

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Packing it in your checked luggage should work just fine.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    dreamninjadreamninja Registered User regular
    So I might be cosplaying this year...even though I never have done so before...my friend is slowly but surely whittling away at my resistance... If she succeeds...I will be going as Emizel from Disgaea...mostly because I would wear that hoodie everywhere if I made it...and I mean everywhere...like to the grocery store and everything...and 2 months is just enough time to grow my hair out long enough to completely bleach blonde...and someone's going to have to explain to my girlfriend...

• Options
    ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Got a few questions. I realize the no weapon policy is still in effect. As nerf weapons and such tend to be allowed wondering what the policy would be on Orange tipped airsoft? I'd be willing to be checked/taged as well as wrap the grip in orange if that will allow me to use em for my cosplay.

Here are two of the primary chooses I've been looking at to complete my set.

Shotgun_MTX_8870A_S_lg_zps077b4f4a.jpg
    GP_UHC_135S_lg_zps1346a143.jpg

About 75% sure, this will get denied. But Honestly my cosplay does not work with gaint super soakers since the game uses real weapons not fiction based toys. Willing to make some compromises to fall within rules/policy.

Chazzon on
  • Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    Chazzon wrote: »
    Got a few questions. I realize the no weapon policy is still in effect. As nerf weapons and such tend to be allowed wondering what the policy would be on Orange tipped airsoft? I'd be willing to be checked/taged as well as wrap the grip in orange if that will allow me to use em for my cosplay.

About 75% sure, this will get denied. But Honestly my cosplay does not work with gaint super soakers since the game uses real weapons not fiction based toys. Willing to make some compromises to fall within rules/policy.

A quick Ctrl+F for "airsoft" on the original post tells you your answer.
    Welcome to the PAX Prime 2013 costume thread!
    A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It fires or can fire any sort of projectile. {Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire)

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

Time to get creative!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what constitutes "deactivated nerf"? Can batteries simply be removed from a battery powered blaster or a ziptie placed in such a way to prevent firing or priming?
    Prevent firing. Batteries removed is not deactivated. Removing the firing mechanism is the easiest and most acceptable way.

It's worth noting that pulling the guts out of a Nerf gun will not damage it. Just keep all the bits and screws and you can restore it back to firing status after PAX.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Chazzon wrote: »

I'm 100% sure these are not allowed.

No airsoft guns of any kind are allowed: functional, non-functional, orange tipped or not.

• Options
    ZasielZasiel Registered User new member
    Excited to start on dryad Soraka from league and maybe Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2, as well. Must get moving now!

• Options
    KagzKagz OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I am with you Zasiel, I need to get motivated and get to work or it won't be done in time.

• Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Zasiel wrote: »
    Excited to start on dryad Soraka from league and maybe Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2, as well. Must get moving now!

Tiny Tina! Do it! I'm making Gaige!
    On that, I'm making progress most days - I have a lot of my FemShep armor done, and a good amount of my Gaige stuff finished too. I'm getting pretty pumped about both of these costumes!

I'm considering making a gun from Borderlands 2 by modding a nerf gun, but I don't know which gun to make, and which of my existing guns to use... hopefully I'll figure that out soon though!

apocalypticash on
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    im done with my costumes i'm just trying to figure out how i'm going to pack them all lol My Friday/Sat ones take up a lot of space im thinking ill get some garment bags to keep them together and hopefully from breaking during travel.

• Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Went to a larger convention earlier this month so I'm a bit costumed out so Minette is going to wait when I have more time/money. Buying the materials for White Mage and Zacharie soon. Also bringing my Touhou costume since I have some friends interested in doing a small group.

• Options
    dreamninjadreamninja Registered User regular
    spent today picking up a bunch of material...tomorrow....we dye!

• Options
    I am loving the fact that so many of you are redirecting others to the OP, you all make me so proud and happy!!
    Makes me feel like the typing was worth it ;)

I should go.
  • Options
    Travman93Travman93 Billings, MTRegistered User regular
    0f015b229a7b11e2a54722000a9f1597_7.jpg
    Allowed for an Ash costume?

• Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    as long as there aren't pointy bits on the chain? looks like a bike chain so i'm guessing it would be fine. you can tell that it was something made by hand and not a real chainsaw. hopefully it isn't too heavy!

Membino on
  • Options
    You tell me, is it sharp, is the chain real? If not then its fine.

• Options
    Travman93Travman93 Billings, MTRegistered User regular
    Yes, the chain is nothing but a bike chain. The body is modified from a gallon of Arizona Diet Green Tea, so nothing lethal there.

• Options
    SujunSujun Registered User regular
    It'll be my first time cosplaying at pax, other going as my boring self, yes I myself is a character that I dress up everyday out of the doors to society other than my own home. I am a hobo at home lol.

I'll be bringing Kat from DMC *high five, wutwut* , ada wong from re6, and a clicker from last of us~~

and I wish there will be more people who'd love to join the clicker horde idea~ huhu

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    Sujun wrote: »
    I'll be bringing Kat from DMC *high five, wutwut* , ada wong from re6, and a clicker from last of us~~

and I wish there will be more people who'd love to join the clicker horde idea~ huhu

SWEET, I definitely want to get some shots with Clickers in my Umbrella suit! =D

• Options
    a0011a91a0011a91 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but we will be at pax prime 2013. The whole set of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
    480657_174899635990899_1251926912_n.png

We are "Power Rangers Seattle" on FB.

a0011a91 on
  • Options
    ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    a0011a91 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but we will be at pax prime 2013. The whole set of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
    Including Yellow and Black? Fantastic!
    I'll have to get a photo with all of you. My inner child thanks you.

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • Options

What days? Or will you be dressed up everyday?

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Hopefully I run into you guys this time, met Red and Pink on the walk back one night, but they were out of costume at the time.

Sharkey1337 on
  • Options
    a0011a91a0011a91 Registered User regular
    Yes including black and yellow. We will be there Fri, Sat, and Sun.

995901_223923304421865_450969732_n.jpg

• Options
    You all have made my inner child so happy =D

I should go.
  • Options
    Trying something new this year. I will be giving away my own business cards! Well, not for business, but for cosplay. When I take tour pic I'll give you my card and you can find your picture on my Facebook album that will be open to thee public.
    Aren't I clever? Lols. I just know how much I love to see the pictures of my own cosplay that I wanted to be able to share with you guys that joy.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular

995901_223923304421865_450969732_n.jpg

OMG. My inner 2nd-grader is having a fit right now. I'm pretty pumped about your group!

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    I happen to own the same jacket Charlie Day wears in Pacific Rim. I'm probably going to wear that and tell people I'm cosplaying.

• Options
    Trying something new this year. I will be giving away my own business cards! Well, not for business, but for cosplay. When I take tour pic I'll give you my card and you can find your picture on my Facebook album that will be open to thee public.
    Aren't I clever? Lols. I just know how much I love to see the pictures of my own cosplay that I wanted to be able to share with you guys that joy.

That is a really good idea!

• Options
    Thanks! I got a couple business cards last year from media people, but I thought 'Why can't I do that?' So I am. :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm surprised more people don't do that. It gets suggested in the "newbie advice" thread every year. Gamer contact cards are great :)

• Options
    Vista prints has a thing going, get 250 custom cards for $10. It's a really good deal

Pax Attendee/Enforcer: