As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Midnighter!

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=84411

First look at the new Midnighter comic!

DouglasDanger on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I gotta agree with one of the posters there. "Kill a mass murderer or die"? They could've just asked him and he would've done it for fun.

Scooter on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I gotta agree with one of the posters there. "Kill a mass murderer or die"? They could've just asked him and he would've done it for fun.
    yeah, the drama's kind of robbed by him kicking a man's head off in the first panel.

Conditional_Axe on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The art looks good, but the premise seems kind of stupid. Everyone know the Midnighter kills badder guys for fun anyways. I am sure the Midnighter will plow through this army and kill the mass murderer (will Ennis make it be Bush or something?) and then Midnighter will kill whoever captured him.

DouglasDanger on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, the Midnighter is Wildstorm's Wolverine now?

I can dig it, I guess.

Though maybe not for too long.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited September 2006
    Now that you mention it, it does sound kind of familar.

Scooter on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:6245e7365b]the mass murderer is actually Apollo.[/spoiler:6245e7365b]

Mai-Kero on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You could spoiler tag it then.

gredavin on
    edited September 2006
    Well it's just a guess, and not a very good one at that. I could see it happening, I guess, maybe.

What exactly did Worldstorm reboot?

Mai-Kero on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    that's a big MEH.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That was easily the stupidiest three pages of bullshit I've seen in a while. He blocked .50 cal bullets with a fucking metal staff? And since when did Abhrams(or however its spelled) tanks fall into use with (unidentified USA middle east enemy name here).

This Midnighter comic seems to be targeted towards ignorant youth while recycling the same old "bad ass fights armies of superior enemies alone and wins without a scratch ala wolverine".

I can smell the sloth of the hack writers from here. Must miss comic!

Caveman Paws on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Why does Garth Ennis keep writing Superheroes? He fucking hates then and it shows.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
    edited September 2006
    That was easily the stupidiest three pages of bullshit I've seen in a while. He blocked .50 cal bullets with a fucking metal staff? And since when did Abhrams(or however its spelled) tanks fall into use with (unidentified USA middle east enemy name here).

This Midnighter comic seems to be targeted towards ignorant youth while recycling the same old "bad ass fights armies of superior enemies alone and wins without a scratch ala wolverine".

I can smell the sloth of the hack writers from here. Must miss comic!

I thought he was fighting American troops til he made the Allah reference.

Scooter on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thats what I thought as well. I suppose that those could have been stolen tanks, but from what little those sneak peek panels provide I wouldn't even consider wasting my cash to find out.

Caveman Paws on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Why does Garth Ennis keep writing Superheroes? He fucking hates then and it shows.

I think it's funny that he tends to write traditional superheroes, even ones like Wolverine that can generally fit into more realistic stories, as tremendous jokes, while then turning around and writing other guys with superpowers in funny costumes as super-serious hardasses who kick people's balls up into their skulls and then bang a bus full of cheerleaders.

Munch on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wait i thought midnighter was supposed to be batman.
    Now there making him into wolverine?
    man wildstor wants to just cover the whole damn stereotype spectrum huh?

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DarkClaw%20JB.jpg

august on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    august wrote:
    Darkclaw

Possibly the most ill-concieved of the mixed characters of the Analgram Universe. Even worse than The Flash combining with Ghost Rider (what the hell was that?).

The obvious character to match Batman with would have been Daredevil. It just makes sense.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wait just one gosh-darn minute there, does Darkclaw have paws instead of feet?

Deans on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    How can you not combine the two most overrated characters ever?

I had a subscription to Wizard when I was a kid, though, and an Amalgam of Batman and Cap that they showed in one issue was pretty good, as was a Joker+Venom mix. Others such as Evil Ernie+Hulk and Wolverine+Flash didn't work quite so well.

robosagogo on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    The second Dark Claw comic, drawn B:TAS style, was pretty fun for what it was.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Rociel wrote:

I think it's funny that he tends to write traditional superheroes, even ones like Wolverine that can generally fit into more realistic stories, as tremendous jokes, while then turning around and writing other guys with superpowers in funny costumes as super-serious hardasses who kick people's balls up into their skulls and then bang a bus full of cheerleaders.

Of course when he really wants to write a superhero he gets them down.

His Superman bits in Hitman were awesome.

How was his Legends of the Dark Knight run?

Bloods End on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    How can you not combine the two most overrated characters ever?

I loled

Regina Fong on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Got the issue.

[spoiler:30a98d93cd] It's Hitler [/spoiler:30a98d93cd]

Hensler on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just thought of 1,000,000 possible combinations for this storyline to end. I just finished the first run of the Authority, so it'll be cool to get in on the ground floor of this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    The second Dark Claw comic, drawn B:TAS style, was pretty fun for what it was.

I actually liked all the amalgam stuff. Generation Hex, Iron Lantern, Bullets and Bracelets, etc. It was really fun.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if I want to start a new thread for this, and I don't see an old thread covering it. SO, is anyone following all or some of the books in the "Wildstorm Relaunch?"

Yesterday, I picked up the first issues of almost all of the new series. Stormwatch: PHD looks pretty interesting. Gen13 looks cool, but I didn't follow the original series so I don't know how much it differs (if at all). That's all I've read so far, but I did get Wildcats, The Authority, and Midnighter.

It seems like Gen13 and Wildcats are getting a complete reboot, but Stormwatch and The Authority are not. It's as if the origin of the Gen13 stuff is happening later in history than all the Ellis Authority stuff (which is my only prior knowledge of the Wildstorm universe). I would think that the Gen13 origin stuff had already taken place, if the Ellis Authority stuff is part of this relaunch's past. Can anyone give guidance on how to sort this all out?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That Authority "issue" should have taken 2 fucking pages, not a whole god damn book. There is no way we can tell whats going on with that from there.

Supposedly, everything except Planetary is getting rebooted. Planatery only has one issue left, and supposedly it'll give an in-continuity reason why everything is getting started from scratch.

So far, the only book I've really liked from Worldstorm has been Stormwatch.

Hensler on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Issue three.

[spoiler:e87a911fca]Pompety-pom-pom. Pompety-pom-pom.[/spoiler:e87a911fca]

It looked so clichéd at the outset, but I'm glad I've been following it now.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited January 2007
    bobgorila wrote:
    Issue three.

[spoiler:11aec6b18c]Pompety-pom-pom. Pompety-pom-pom.[/spoiler:11aec6b18c]

It looked so clichéd at the outset, but I'm glad I've been following it now.

[spoiler:11aec6b18c]It was so awesome. I felt like I was reading Nextwave for a second there with the Pompety-pom-pom. Part of it reminded me of Dirk Anger.[/spoiler:11aec6b18c]

Mai-Kero on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm just gonna say that Speed Demon was an awesome as shit idea, just really badly written.

but, you know, lol amalgam.

Newtron on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rociel wrote:
    Because people still buy it, not knowing that the chances are good the only reason the hero is a godlike killing machine is some sort of back asswards stab at current heroes.

The Muffin Man on