As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assignment] [design] - Brand Yourself!

2»

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    @Esiotrot
    post a bio in the "about me" section! it's the first section left-to-right and seeing that part under construction it makes the viewer unsure if all the other sections will come across similarly unfinished. You could always dispense with that segment entirely and have three segments, if you push the biography/cv into your contact page.

• Options
    ChippsChipps Registered User regular
    I know I'm still green here but I'd be interested in participating if it's not too late, looking over the resources now.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The monthly activities are open to participate in all month, so its not late at all! January is still young.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    What kind of branding/design advice do you folks have for someone with a long last name?

Just roll with it? I've never really thought of applying a "company name" to what I do, but it might be easier than trying to slap my last name into a design.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I went with "LauraMakesArt" because there are like 5 Laura Wilsons who do some form of visual art

• Options
    I always liked my nickname "DTG" (Danny the Greek), but it seems so immature, now. Also, I may be Greek, but I don't speak a lick of the language. Hrmm hrmm. DTG is fun to play with, though, design wise. *desk doodles*

• Options
    What are your real initials? That may be better than something you will feel embarrassed to tell the true meaning of.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    For anybody looking for more reference/inspiration, this is one of my favorite sites to browse:

http://faveup.com/business-cards/latest

That's the business card section, but they have a lot of other categories you can look through.

• Options
    ND!!!

Weren't you planning to do some website work? DO IT WITH US!!!

Also nice link!

• Options
    That's a good idea, too. I'll see kind of designs I can come up with. Thanks.

• Options
    D:

I did, and then...I remembered that bug-fixing/cross-browser checking is 99% of the work. Also I told myself I'd be recoding it in divs (rather than the current setup in tables) and I have to learn how to do that as well.

But.......yes......dammit.....I should be doing it. :\

FINE I'LL START TONIGHT AAAAAAAAH

• Options
    Yay!

Websites are hard, I know I need to add another page to mine, so that there's a little about section and clear contact page.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Iruka, this thread is awesome. Hopefully I will be able to use some of the stuff from this thread.

If we come up with anything soon hopefully we can get some critiques. :)

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    if people are working hard and getting good feedback, maybe i'll extend this one at the end of the month.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I spent all of yesterday recreating one of my old animations, done in 720x576 with some weird cropping, to 1080p, with some additional artwork added.

Hopefully with this I'll have enough to fill up a motion reel.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to do some website upgrading; probably not gonna change the appearance at this point but I need to turn the front 'blog' into an actual blog, and update a bunch of stuff including the portfolio. So I may as well throw my hat in here in order to give myself an extra kick in the pants about the whole thing.

• Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    My banner and logo are old, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any critiques and I will retouch them.

mpblogheader-by-muddyparasol.jpg

sig.png

LJK are my initials

Otherwise I'll work on my avatar and/or business cards...

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Motion reel is done

http://youtu.be/MMqjQUNu8tE

Flay on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    sig.png

LJK are my initials
    "lol joke" is all that springs to mind when i see this. the internet has ruined me. nice work though.

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Super simple, but I kinda like it:

artraged2013header.png

The block on the left is what happens if you take a JRH made out of blocks in a 3x3 grid, then overlap them with a (roughly) 25% opacity. I know that doesn't read at all but it did make for a nice pattern.

Edit: Also, updated my site - www.artraged.com

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    IMO that logo seems a little too compact, @nakirush. The rest of the site looks great though!

You've won me over with your blue color scheme...(I am totally not biased whatsoever)...

<_<

>_>

NightDragon on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I like the clean navigation bar and the general idea.

I do think some aspects could use some thought though. To me, the constantly changing background seems a bit overmuch. It also flickers when going from Home to Gallery which, I don't know if you intended it or not Nakirush, seems like a bug?

Also, I'm not a fan of a Home/News/splash page loaded before the portfolio or gallery page. Its a portfolio, just load the portfolio immediately. It may seem silly, but my view is that you are sending this website to people for one purpose - to see your art. Why complicate things?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    @ND, you gonna launch that new site?

@Flay, I forgot to post how the motion reel looks nice! You need your contact info at the end though, or something like that to end out on.

@CommunistCow did you ever get some branding work done?

@MuddyParasol I feel like your banner could be more interesting if it was more about you and not a sort of "Hang in there, baby!" poster. Your logo is cute, but the elephant and the photoshop grass and the purple seem to be very disconnected with that. Maybe A more illustrated parasol?

I got a little freelance that got in the way of finishing my business cards, maybe I'll knock these threads off, but leave them open so that people can still use them.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Well this is branding work I was going to help my wife with and she has been super lazy and hasn't wanted to start anything. So we have done a whole lot of nothing.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    @ND, you gonna launch that new site?

Finished/launched as of an hour or two ago! :) Woot

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Still plugging away at this.

artraged_2013_header_blue2.png

nakirush on
  • Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    @MuddyParasol I feel like your banner could be more interesting if it was more about you and not a sort of "Hang in there, baby!" poster. Your logo is cute, but the elephant and the photoshop grass and the purple seem to be very disconnected with that. Maybe A more illustrated parasol?

Good point about the banner and the disconnect. I'm going to start brainstorming / thumbnailing tonight on a new banner and see what I can come up with. Thank you!

• Options
    So... minus 12,000 points for taking me 5 months to get this done, but here are two redesigns of my blog header:

blog-header-wipa.jpg

or

blog-header-wipb.png

What I'm aiming for is something fun, simple, almost childlike, while still staying professional (the kind of thing you'd expect on a children's book illustrator's blog).

I'm not loving the font, but I thought it was best to keep it the same as the font theme of the rest of the blog. Is that a mistake?

Any crits / opinions?

• Options
    I realize that you are going for muddy parasol, but it seems like a poopy parasol. I dont know how you would avoid that, really, but glooping brown is not easy to make appealing.

• Options
    Curses! I was worried about that from the beginning, but I had hoped that this draft had avoided that. Thank you for the crit! It's nice to see it through someone else's eyes. I think working on it, I get so close I stop being able to see the forest for the trees.

My other thought was to ditch the poopy mud and just go with a super simple parasol

blog-header-wipc.png

I like the look of it but with no reference to Muddy, would that still fit with the "brand"? Or maybe I should just start over and go a different route.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Why exactly is your brand a muddy parasol?
    edit: other than it being your forum name

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    m3nace wrote: »
    Why exactly is your brand a muddy parasol?
    edit: other than it being your forum name

MuddyParasol has served me well. The connotation, fun, rough and tumble, not taking itself too seriously, fits what I'm aiming for with my brand. It's different enough to be memorable and invoke curiosity. Plus, a nice benefit is it's uniqueness; you do a Google search for MuddyParasol not only is my brand first and foremost, my brand is the only thing Google comes up with.

In more formal settings MuddyParasol takes a backseat to "Landon Kanillopoolos Inc.". But MuddyParasol is a great brand, I'm very happy with it. Now if only I could find a way to illustrate a non-poopy muddy parasol!

I may in the end just embrace the poopiness...

I see that PoopyParasol.com isn't taken.

MuddyParasol on