As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 6/26/13: Pepperoni.

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
All-New X-Men #13, Bobby sums up my reaction to the whole M-word thing:
allnewxmen13a_zpsd153406d.jpg

Hawkeye #11, bros before bows, you dumb dog:
hawkeye11a_zpsdcbc9f2e.jpg

hawkeye11b_zpse1b800fd.jpg

Uncanny X-Men #7, Magik be crazy, yo:
uncannyxmen7a_zps0a2d717b.jpg

uncannyxmen7b_zps0b49c2bd.jpg

uncannyxmen7c_zpsa660e402.jpg

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I cracked up at Iceman's expression. Such perfect disgust.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Young Iceman is pretty dang great, honestly

doubly so since Kitty and Iceman are dating which makes her having to deal with his wisecracking younger self hilarious

CYpGAPn.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Pizza Dog has made a terrible mistake. Goodbye new York style pizzas, hello overpriced novelty BLT pizzas.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    They probably don't even have pepperoni in L.A., just some dehydrated soy stuff with goat cheese on a gluten free crust.

Pizza Dog is now expendable, long live Cosmo.

TexiKen on
    Justice League:
    Black Adam demands Billy give him his power or he will kill Mary and Freddy, Billy remembers something that was told to him earlier about family. He says Shazam, Black Adam remains unchanged and looks behind him:
    u9yQLit.jpg?1
    F6rFYsl.jpg?1
    2su3BXM.jpg?1

He also pulls this trick again with Tawny, the tiger he visits at the zoo as a memory of his parents. Who goes all Battle Cat.

The issue ends with their school getting wrecked in the fight and Shazam saying "Uh, sorry about that. I guess, school is cancelled?" And all of the kids go nuts.

It is just such a fun, upbeat story that is the exact opposite of most of DC's output these days.

I cannot wait for the proper solo book.

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    FF #8 - They're not really robots, fool.
    h7zs7Gm.png

Wolverine and the X-Men #32 - The Musical
    w0yACQ2.jpg

Age of Ultron #10 AI - Don't worry, I'm a doctor.
    OHlcYq1.jpg

Young Avengers #6 - Snails
    amIjcIh.jpg
    PFzIbTm.jpg

I could have just as easily gone with Prodigy's intro, but it makes me really happy that Kate Brown stepped up to the McKelvie & Norton page layout challenge

UnbrokenEva on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    And green peppers mushrooms olives chives

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Damn, that's cold.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    h7zs7Gm.png

can we just

acknowledge how great matt fraction is

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oh oh oh also Daredevil #27 - shadowy figures
    All issue the comic cuts away from the action to scenes of mysterious figures lurking in the shadows around everyone Matt cares about - Foggy, his employees, his (ex?)-girlfriend, his ex-wife. As expected, Bullseye exerts his leverage:
    IuQQgmx.jpg
    6Gy0UDa.png
    ilu mark waid

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Damn, that's cold.

But who doesn't love cold pizza?

The only downside to the Hawkeye comic is I have to wait more than an hour between issues. So good.

edited June 2013
    Antimatter wrote: »
    h7zs7Gm.png

can we just

p2Cpuj8.jpg

sure, yeah

we can definitely acknowledge that.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man when is somebody gonna get Danny out of that dumb white and gold costume

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, is that that a n ice sculpture of the monster from the end of the Thing?

That is cruel, Bobby. Just cruel.

man when is somebody gonna get Danny out of that dumb white and gold costume

I kinda like it, but not as much as the green & gold

I figure if a new costume is coming it will be when Heroes For Hire finally happens

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Antimatter wrote: »
    h7zs7Gm.png

can we just

Have I mentioned that my brother hung out with them at Coachella?

Blankzilla wrote: »
    Justice League:
    Black Adam demands Billy give him his power or he will kill Mary and Freddy, Billy remembers something that was told to him earlier about family. He says Shazam, Black Adam remains unchanged and looks behind him:

He also pulls this trick again with Tawny, the tiger he visits at the zoo as a memory of his parents. Who goes all Battle Cat.

The issue ends with their school getting wrecked in the fight and Shazam saying "Uh, sorry about that. I guess, school is cancelled?" And all of the kids go nuts.

It is just such a fun, upbeat story that is the exact opposite of most of DC's output these days.

I cannot wait for the proper solo book.

Did Johns have a stroke or something?

Though they did wreck a school, so it met the minimum threshold for awful shit that has to be in every DC book.

Crimsondude on
    They wrecked an empty school at night dude

there is a SCHOOL'S CANCELLED and kids cheering outside gag

you're looking for shit that ain't there

CYpGAPn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Those are some choice moments from FF posted earlier, but if there was one moment that gave me the most joy out of any comic I've read so far tonight, it's this.
    n4a9iwn.jpg

ujeADX9.jpg
    0N1Tmu5.jpg

for reference:

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    "...if you say it with enough derogatory."

Balefuego wrote: »
    Those are some choice moments from FF posted earlier, but if there was one moment that gave me the most joy out of any comic I've read so far tonight, it's this.
    n4a9iwn.jpg

ujeADX9.jpg
    0N1Tmu5.jpg

for reference:

this is where the insane amount of research Fraction did before taking on the Fantastic books really shows

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Every single panel posted made me smile.

n4a9iwn.jpg

ujeADX9.jpg
    0N1Tmu5.jpg

for reference:

this is where the insane amount of research Fraction did before taking on the Fantastic books really shows

I mean, I used to watch that cartoon as a kid, as soon they mentioned rings + her suit I got excited and I thought "oh man like the cartoon!"

and then she said it

8->

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh my god I hadn't looked at the mattastic four tumblr in a while

tumblr_mhlux90s7S1s4ps86o1_1280.jpg

Captain America #8

Remender wasn't joking when he said he was going to put Cap through some real shit.
    zR1aDqE.jpg
    qhiDONo.jpg
    YWAzdWp.jpg
    9VQzgJ1.jpg
    PKSqRCp.jpg
    RDUjdJP.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    what the fucking shit, Remender

The letters page even has a little note from Remender

AYnMigo.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It makes perfect sense if you have read the whole arc
    Steve has been trapped in Dimension Z for 10 years, meanwhile a far far shorter amount of time has passed in the 616.

So Sharon comes in to save Steve after what a month maybe? Sees him near death with some teen holding a gun to his head yelling about how he is a Zola and will kill him. Takes the logical shot.

She had no idea about Ian or what Steve has gone through. She just made what she thought was the right call.

CYpGAPn.png
    It makes perfect sense if you have read the whole arc
    Steve has been trapped in Dimension Z for 10 years, meanwhile a far far shorter amount of time has passed in the 616.

So Sharon comes in to save Steve after what a month maybe? Sees him near death with some teen holding a gun to his head yelling about how he is a Zola and will kill him. Takes the logical shot.

She had no idea about Ian or what Steve has gone through. She just made what she thought was the right call.

that's the same logic used to justify Man of Steel's ending

Remender still wrote a story where that was a logical thing to have happen

and thus my what the fucking shit stands

Remender's note helps a little. The unrelenting bleakness combined with me not really liking JRJR's art all that much is souring me on the book though. His faces are occasionally okay, but about half of them I'd rate just above a Chaykin-face in terms of quality.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Captain America
    Dang Sharon, you never do shoot to wound, do you?

I'm not sure how anything in that page is at all analogous to Man of Steel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Blank's statement that Sharon shooting Ian was logical in the circumstances is analogous to people saying that it was logical for Superman to kill Zod because he had no choice.

in both cases the situation was a deliberate choice on the part of the writer so "it was the logical thing to do" is kind of a pointless statement"

Blank's statement that Sharon shooting Ian was logical in the circumstances is analogous to people saying that it was logical for Superman to kill Zod because he had no choice.

in both cases the situation was a deliberate choice on the part of the writer so "it was the logical thing to do" is kind of a pointless statement"

yeah but
    the whole problem I thought, and I havent seen Man of Steel so maybe I am confused about what people don't like about it, is that they constructed a specific circumstance to have Superman act out of character.

No one is out of character here

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I would disagree heavily.
    Sharon Carter, a trained SHIELD operative and black ops spy, killing someone is way way way different than goddamn Superman.

CYpGAPn.png
    I would disagree heavily.
    Sharon Carter, a trained SHIELD operative and black ops spy, killing someone is way way way different than goddamn Superman.

my issue isn't that she acted out of character, I object to both scenes for different reasons

but in either case the way to avoid them would be to write a different scene

logic and character motivations aren't the issue, as in both cases the creative process would have been "I want X to happen, how can I put the characters in a position where it does"

Remender does a much better job of having the awful fucking moment fit with the story

but he still put an awful fucking moment in the story.

shorter version: It's not a badly written scene by any stretch

it's just fucking bleak and awful and not what I'm looking for in a Captain America comic

That is fair, and totally understandable. Saying "Nah, this isn't for me." Is totally fine

But I feel critically judging something by saying "This is bad because it isn't a different thing. " is kind shitty

Man of Steel's ending would be fine if it was like Sentry or Hyperion or something but fails miserably because it is Superman.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2013
    I guess I am confused as to what makes this any more awful or less acceptable than any of the stuff he wrote in Uncanny X-Force like Fantomex murdering kid apocalypse or Wolverine drowning his own son in a shallow puddle.

Unless I am mistaking your phrasing of the word awful, if you mean in story it's awful then well yeah, obviously, but I think the fact that a character who has been around for less than 8 issues is invoking this sort of strong emotion is a testament to the storytelling.

And I can respect if people just aren't interested in a story about Cap getting torn down, not everything has to be for everyone, it just sounds like you're coming awfully close to saying "this should not exist" which is the part where I frown disapprovingly at you.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also if this is too much for you, you should probably never read Fear Agent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm not sure where I'm failing to explain myself

I'm not comparing the ending of the comic to the ending of MoS. I'm comparing the defense of the ending you made to the defense some people made of the ending of MoS

having heard the argument "it makes sense in the situation the character was in" so many times with regards to MoS, it strikes me as equally bullshit in other contexts. The story happens because the writer wrote it that way, not because "the character would do that". This isn't a roleplaying session with Remender as the DM and someone else playing the characters. Remender did a decent job making it internally consistent, yes. That's not the issue. I don't like that it happened at all and that it is a realistic thing for the character to do is no real comfort.
    How many bullets is Sharon going to put through Steve's heart though? I mean goddamn

you are gonna be so jealous when I get my cotton candy in issue 10 though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]