As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game Grumps: And now back to your regularly scheduled Grumping, already in progress.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    yo let's not casually insult women in here based on looks?

probably gonna buy a set of "grump/not so grump" shirts before they up and replace the jon shirts

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, they're down another 2,000 subscribers since I started watching the counter, I'm betting its going to stop around the 1M mark. Would be depressing if it dropped below that. Still, Jon moving to the other side of the country is a pretty legit reason to quit grumping, although that does seem like the chances of him returning full-time are pretty much nil. :(

Mr Ray on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I feel bad about it, but I unsubscribed. I just honestly don't like the steam train at all(which is sad, because I love the concept), and game grumps without Jon is honestly just depressing me a bit. Especially with how silent Arin has been on the whole thing.

I'll probably check it out in a few months, once some of the better episodes are out and maybe some sonic footage or something comes from the ashes, but... yeah, I got plenty of other stuff to watch. :/

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Dan sounding normal

My feeling right now is that he is trying to sound "on", the enthusiasm seems forced

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote: »
    Edit: I bet Suzy looks so much better without the layer of makeup.

She does not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnhModOBHUg

Her sister says otherwise.

And yes, before you point it out, I know she's wearing makeup too...though it just appears to be so much less...

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Suzy's beautiful. Lookit dat.... 's STYLE.

Going off the average length of the videos they produce and keeping up with releasing two videos a day it kinda works out like this...

Jon & Arin show up, sit down, eat a pizza, play a game. 4 hours of play (if not more if they actually film everything for a week in a single day), 1 hour of setup (camera/mic/whatever).

Barry takes the footage, splits it up into 12 minute segments. Mostly unedited drag and drop into a template previously created. Most time is consumed in the rendering process. Audio provides no real difficulty mastering as it's a single secured environment. Depending on what system specs they are rocking, it would take maybe 10 hours to render out all of the videos for the week. Time they are not spending watching the progress bar by the way.

Next step is uploading and that can take anywhere from half an hour to an hour depending on internet speeds, and generating the thumbnail for the episode (which already has a template). YouTube automatically generates Tweets and Facebook posts for you if you need. Because Game Grumps is partnered with TGS they don't have to worry about any advertising and the likes.

Pretty much, you are looking at around 25 hours (estimated) of work for a weeks worth of Game Grumps. Some of that is waiting on uploads and rendering, some of it is actual working and playing games. It's a mixed bag, but having it be a 'Let's Play' series makes the workflow a lot easier than someone writing/editing/producing content like AVGN or The Game Chasers.

That would sound about right. Like I said, to simplify things I think it's pretty much them goofing around for a bit every week and then Barry doing the follow-up for the rest of the week.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Edit: Whoops, wrong thread. How embarrassing.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    9hUDGiP.png

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey goobers, talking about how Suzy, a person who has as much to do with Game Grumps as Jon's bird, looks with or without makeup is as creepy as it is off-topic.

YL9WnCY.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I am genuinely looking forward to more JonTron videos

They're the reason I started watching Game Grumps

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    "Thanks to the people blindly supporting me with no evidence to back up taking our (my?) side on this. No, I won't give any information that might change anyone else's minds. I can, however, totally confirm that every explanation you've come up with is wrong."

uyvfOQy.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Hey goobers, talking about how Suzy, a person who has as much to do with Game Grumps as Jon's bird, looks with or without makeup is as creepy as it is off-topic.

Can we talk about how Jon's bird looks with or without make-up?

I don't understand the hate surrounding this

I mean yeah, I get it, Jon was cool and I'm going to miss him

But dude obviously had his reasons for leaving, and it's not like he's legally bound to tell me what they are or anything

If he wants to move on, for literally whatever reason, more power to him

I'll be the first to admit that this is the weirdest way to announce it, though

Putting up a video with Jon saying goodbye while putting up a video with his replacement minutes later and starting a new series the same day?

They probably could have spaced that out a bit better.

I don't understand the hate surrounding this

I mean yeah, I get it, Jon was cool and I'm going to miss him

But dude obviously had his reasons for leaving, and it's not like he's legally bound to tell me what they are or anything

If he wants to move on, for literally whatever reason, more power to him

Yeah, as much as I would like a reason, I can understand why he would be reluctant to divulge due to personal (or perhaps legal) reasons.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    They've had episodes going into great detail about them shitting and vomiting, who/what they'd like to fuck, relationships, racism, religion, etc.

I don't think it's odd to find them suddenly not wanting to share this particular bit of info rather strange.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Reynolds wrote: »
    They've had episodes going into great detail about them shitting and vomiting, who/what they'd like to fuck, relationships, racism, religion, etc.

I don't think it's odd to find them suddenly not wanting to share this particular bit of info rather strange.

On the other hand, if you consider they basically kept (some of) their actual personal lives, families, and significant others out of the same episodes, if any of those things are involved (and Jon has already directly told everybody about some personal artistic stuff that led to this in the public goodbye video), it's less surprising.

Essee on

Arin's reluctant to tell people what time he gets up. They're not exactly consistent in this regard.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    When I watched the Ode to Jon, my first thought was of the conversation they had back in March (one or two of the Link to the Past videos) about the state of Game Grumps and their own channels. Ego said he wanted to get more stuff out to stay ahead of Game Grumps in subs, and Jon wanted to do more JonTron.

If they keep up the new format of one Game Grumps (which I actually like, thought I miss Jon) and one Steam Train (...meh...) a night, then Ego has effectively reduced his role as well. I assume he's using the extra time to do more stuff; finger's crossed it's the long abandoned Zelda Sequelitis.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited June 2013
    Antimatter wrote: »
    9hUDGiP.png

Um, okay, so that tells us basically nothing. The rumors going around range from "Arin and Jon had a falling out and Jon got kicked off the show" to "Jon is moving across the country to live with his girlfriend" to "Jon was secretly a velociraptor and has gone to live among his own people". So which of the many speculated speculations is false?

Mr Ray on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    He said the rumors, plural, are false. It means all of them.

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Would it matter if they weren't? Why do you care so much about why Jon left?

It's a ten-minute show on Youtube about video games, not the Kennedy Assassination.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    It's still weird the way he continues past that, though. "The only people who know anything about the situation..." You'd think he'd just say "I said I was leaving to focus on Jontron and that's really all there is" if it was that.

But maybe I'm reading too far into it.

But I do think it's odd to feel slighted by the fact that they aren't sharing it

Using the term "blindly following" as though he's some sort of religious figure or politician, feeding us lies about something which is a Big Deal, is ridiculous. He just isn't saying exactly why he's no longer doing this YouTube channel, and that's okay.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It seems like everyone is reading way too much into it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's more to it. Nothing mind blowing. But what it comes down to is "what business is it of anyone?"

But since I'm a nosy fuck and like to know thing about particular people, I wouldn't mind knowing the nitty-gritty!

Alazull wrote: »

It's a ten-minute show on Youtube about video games, not the Kennedy Assassination.

This is a dumb thing to say. Just because it's not of great importance doesn't mean someone can't be curious. Especially when it's as somewhat nebulous like this.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My guess is Arin wanted to expand the brand but Jon didn't, so Jon said his goodbyes.

edited June 2013
    Opty wrote: »
    My guess is Arin wanted to expand the brand but Jon didn't, so Jon said his goodbyes.

No, see that's a rumor, so its automatically wrong.

The only reason I and anybody else cares is that this whole thing has been very sudden and handled very poorly. There was absolutely no lead-up, no introduction of the new guys beforehand, just BAM, no more Jon and Arin, and by the way here's two new guys for you to project your feelings of confusion and outrage on.

Mr Ray on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The real tragedy is no more animated videos with Jon Kirby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqYhI8tV2o

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The real tragedy is no more animated videos with Jon Kirby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqYhI8tV2o

Or Jon bird.... what kind of animal will Dan be?

You know what would really make me feel better about the whole thing? A new JonTron and/or Sequelitis. I'd go ape shit for either of those.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    How many Sequelitis videos are there? I swear I went on his youtube page and only saw a few.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Like ... 3? 4?

The only one that matters is Megaman X.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah okay those are the ones I saw. They were good and he need to do those.

His Awesome videos are great too.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I get called out (multiple times) on commenting on Suzy but Local H Jay doesn't get called out on posting the off-topic video on the first place. :(

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    So far, the new guy seems to be pretty good. It's certainly drastically different from Jon, and while I miss the old style, I'm glad they didn't just try to imitate it. I do think they need to change the intro though; it's pretty grating.

As for people speculating about the reason for the change; Sure, it's just some silly free internet entertainment, but a lot of people here enjoyed it, and it's human nature to be curious as to what happened. I don't think anyone here is outraged that they haven't gone in depth with the explanation, or is demanding that they reveal the truth. A bit of harmless speculation within a forum thread is perfectly fine and normal though.

• DarmaniDarmani Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »

It doesn't matter cuts both ways on small venue artistic stuff. YES Jon or Arin and so on can juggle the cast, formula, games, whatever BUT the key to the format is this guy and that guy get together and discuss this. They can choose the subjects, alter them, whatever BUT the change is sudden and abrupt and feels its missing fomr outreach and transition. Note susan arendt's departure from the Escapist, the close down of Nintendo Power or 1-UP, and etc. They didn't have to anything but they announced ahead of time the change gave a basic reason for the departure and let it transition/sink in with no emotional judgement.
    Of course it matters if a dude leaves a band it matters. If Richter leaves the late show it matters. He's 50% of a two man routine that trades on the unique internet persona he made and the insights and criticisms he plays off with his friend. changing that is pretty big. Now SOME net shows are more ensemble or start more rotatey. Fast Karate, a podcast I love, has gone through numerous changes and has the occasional guest and allusion and even does guest work. AWO had to break things up as one the trio is a grad student and two of them work under the same magazine so most of their good stuff is reserved for work. But they still do something and release things and try to maintain that us delivering a show to you.
    And if that format changes than acknowledging or going over that change is *perfectly fine* for the audience.
    Sure there are boundaries. but we're utterly changing a key format and appeal of the show or cast and want to let you feel comfortable and okay with this isn't capitulating your individual rights as a human being. Anymore that announcing you've decided not to complete or will delay another book in your series if you're an author.

• symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    I'm loving the shit out of the new guy, I think he's great.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I found the truth
    Super Psyguy ‏@SuperPsyguy
    .@JonTronShow left GameGrumps to film for BBC because he's the new doctor.

Lawrence SimpsonLawrence Simpson ‏@MasakoX
    @SuperPsyguy @JonTronShow and his trusted companion is the robotic parrot, K-Jacques.
    Makes sense, he had to stop now to get English lessons from Grant Kirkhope.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Jon as the Doctor would finally get me to watch Doctor Who.

Anyway I'll be curious how Danny continues to fare in the future. So far he seems decent and knows his stuff, but we've really only seen a couple games that are admittedly very well known. It'll be interesting to see if he falls into the same traps Jon and Arin did like not reading instructions or blaming games for their personal errors. That stuff never bothered me as much as it seemed to bother everyone else but if he can avoid that sort of thing then maybe he'll actually revive some people's lost interest in GG.

This discussion has been closed.