As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things you want to teach your kids

1234568»

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I clearly remember my parents would indicate that it was time for the feather duster, but it'd be a good few minutes before they came back with it. On reflection, I'm absolutely sure they were trying to contain their own anger before laying out the consequence.

The suffering I experienced while waiting for it though was probably more nerve-wracking than the physical pain, let me tell you.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    And there are a lot of cases I have come across where parents DO start knocking their kids around, and later on admit separately that they did it because they felt frustrated that their child had broken the rules because it proved to them that they were failures as parents.

That's not punishing your kids to get them in line. That's you taking your own personal shit out on your kid. Shut it down.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Don't make fun of your kids.
    It's fun like once in a blue moon but they have feelings too ok?

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    My parents used a wooden spoon to smack our behinds.

One time when my brother was going to get a smack, he quickly stuffed a book down his pants and when my mom hit him the spoon broke.

She claims it is because the neck of the spoon was really thin.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    nuka wrote: »

yeah a lot of parents take this too far, it's something that can be hard to draw the line on

often what you need is a clear signal that "okay, that's the limit, enough now guys thanks" and for everyone to step back when that signal comes up

cuz man, some kids will just straight up say "I know they're joking, but it's only funny because they know it's also true, which hurts"

shit and it goes both ways, too - my dad struggles if the rest of us have gone too far when we're making fun of him

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »

yeah a lot of parents take this too far, it's something that can be hard to draw the line on

often what you need is a clear signal that "okay, that's the limit, enough now guys thanks" and for everyone to step back when that signal comes up

cuz man, some kids will just straight up say "I know they're joking, but it's only funny because they know it's also true, which hurts"

shit and it goes both ways, too - my dad struggles if the rest of us have gone too far when we're making fun of him

If you make your own kids cry you have shot so far past the limit you've reached the Oort Cloud.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I would like my daughter to tell me when she's fallen asleep so i can move her from her rocking chair to her crib

But that's probably hard to do when you're asleep, I guess

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I dunno. We always preferred it when we'd just get in trouble and get popped to having to kneel on the concrete garage floor holding a phone book overhead. Getting a smack was quick and it was done with.

• Options
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I clearly remember my parents would indicate that it was time for the feather duster, but it'd be a good few minutes before they came back with it. On reflection, I'm absolutely sure they were trying to contain their own anger before laying out the consequence.

The suffering I experienced while waiting for it though was probably more nerve-wracking than the physical pain, let me tell you.

Ahaha, I remember my Dad doing something similar to that.

Once or twice my dad would switch me. Basically like a paddling, but with a stick recently taken from a tree, and stripped down to make it more fine and whip-like. If I remember right, I had to lie down while he smacked me across the back/butt with it a few times or so and then I was sent back to my room.

I don't remember exactly, as it wasn't a thing that he did very often, but I don't remember him being particularly angry about it, nor do I really remember it being all that bad, in hindsight. I think it was one of his more genuine attempts to discipline me properly, early on.

Also, the worst part about it? He made me go out and get the stick for him.

Literally adding insult to injury. Heh. And definitely made the anticipation far worse than the act itself.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I thought this thread title was " Things you want to touch your kids" and I was very scared.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular

This is what I remember from spankings and punishment from my parents. I think having brothers and seeing how horrifying the punishment was was more effective than the pain from the punishment itself.

I distinctly remember hating my parents being mad at me, mostly because they would be disappointed and not want to talk to me in a civil tone for awhile

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One time my Mum smacked my sister Melanie with the wooden spoon and it broke.

Mum burst into tears while Melanie burst out laughing.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a better sense of when it is appropriate to spank and when it is not

Sometimes I think my kid is too young for it to work as a punishment, and sometimes I think the abrupt physical sensation is an appropriate conditioning mechanism

I can count on one hand the number of times I have spanked him and I can count on zero fingers the number of times I have felt it was appropriate in retrospect

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    As a Social Worker, I

As an abuse survivor, I