As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well I can't really blame him for that
    You get a gemstone necklace that embeds itself into your chest and you get armor that shoots energy blasts?

Sounds like magic to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Iron Man's secret origin is revealed
    he was modified by 451 with his parents permission (so they could actually have him) and was designed to be an engineer capable of arming and advancing humanity to a point where they could stand against the likes of the Kree or Skrulls. His drive to innovate humanities defenses and build new weapons and energy sources is literally hardwired into his DNA.

I hate when they do things like this

Why can't Iron Man just be a really smart guy who's good at building stuff?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It bummed me out, I don't feel like reading the rest of his new origin.

It also was that common trait among writers where their new or pet character is so important and intertwined with a long established character's history.

I would much rather read about
    Howard Stark shooting people with a shotgun while dressed in scrubs. Dr. Stark, Pain Management.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I need to see where Gillen takes it

but
    They explicitly say that Tony almost certainly would have been a genius on par with his father or Reed Richards without any meddling(even though he wouldn't have survived being born of course), they altered what he would focus on.

"What separates you and Richards? You and Pym? You and T'Challa? They are men of genius. Men of science. And men of peace."

"You're picking facts. Banner. Doom..."

"...are the closest. Banner made a single weapon. Doom influences no more than an insignificant European nation-state. What is that compared with you. The man who in a few short years armed your governments in a way to let them stand against the forces of the stars? Imagine what would have happened if SHIELD met the Skrull invasions without your weapons."

CYpGAPn.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Man. Avengers Arena 10. What a fucking tour de force. Also aparently issue 13 focuses on the outside world. I'm kind of keen for that. At the same time I jut really really need to know how this all wraps up and filler months drive me MAD

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    "...are the closest. Banner made a single weapon. Doom influences no more than an insignificant European nation-state. What is that compared with you. The man who in a few short years armed your governments in a way to let them stand against the forces of the stars? Imagine what would have happened if SHIELD met the Skrull invasions without your weapons."

What the Hell?
    1. Doomwar is the first thing that comes to mind. Although by all accounts that seems to have been completely ignored by everyone since, which is a fucking travesty. But to say he has no influence outside Latveria is insane.

2. SHIELD was completely neutered by the Skrulls because they were so reliant on Stark tech during SI.

Crimsondude on
  • DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular

What the Hell?
    1. Doomwar is the first thing that comes to mind. Although by all accounts that seems to have been completely ignored by everyone since, which is a fucking travesty. But to say he has no influence outside Latveria is insane.

2. SHIELD was completely neutered by the Skrulls because they were so reliant on Stark tech during SI.
    It seems kinda of strange that they would down play Doom's impact on the world espically after the statement made in New Avengers. "The worst of men know better. GODS know better."

The whole point of the new indestructible hulk series is to showcase just what banner can do when he's not focusing on controlling the Hulk, which as we've seen is quite a bit.

And yeah after SI nobody can really flaunt the effectivness of stark tech vs Skrulls

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so @Solar

Is there anything Hickman could have done, short of bringing back The Sentry, to make the latest issue of Avengers more to your tastes?

Not much, really!

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    He's kinda right about Doom though, in that currently Doom's tech only really benefits Latveria. Sure, he can impact the rest of the world, but that's usually in a negative, conquest style light.

And Banner's just really getting started with the super-science thing, let's see where that takes him.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, 451 says that other geniuses are men of peace, whereas Stark is a dude who makes weapons. The bit about Banner and Doom isn't "Oh yeah, those dudes are useless"; it's "Banner made only one weapon; Doom only makes weapons for his home country".

They're not talking about all inventions; they are talking specifically about weapons, and how Stark, more than anyone else, focuses on making them over anything else.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Yeah, pointing at Indestructible Hulk is off the mark because the whole point of that book is what a change that is for Banner.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Thor/Hyperion friendship = the best fucking thing yes yes

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Just to be clear, 451 says that other geniuses are men of peace, whereas Stark is a dude who makes weapons. The bit about Banner and Doom isn't "Oh yeah, those dudes are useless"; it's "Banner made only one weapon; Doom only makes weapons for his home country".

They're not talking about all inventions; they are talking specifically about weapons, and how Stark, more than anyone else, focuses on making them over anything else.

They also seem to be pointing out that Stark had been essentially arming all mankind by spreading his weapons technology widely, mostly as continuing the family business in his earlier life, but later on as a way to defend the world. He shares his tech out in order to defend his entire world. Doom is all about personal power and hoards his greatest breakthroughs to himself.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Haha oh man, Uncanny Avengers #9 reveals the new horsemen of the Apocalypse, all brought back from the dead:
    Grim Reaper, Banshee, Dakken, and........

Sentry

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that...

is a really fucking powerful horseman

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Haha oh man, Uncanny Avengers #9 reveals the new horsemen of the Apocalypse, all brought back from the dead:
    Grim Reaper, Banshee, Dakken, and........

Sentry

You forgot another fun, silly detail:
    Instead of having War, Famine, and Pestilence, this time they're all Horsemen of Death.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Man, I can't wait til Solar reads this issue, I want his reaction more than the next issue!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I just had a crazy thought regarding the latest Horseman thing
    If the Void is Sentries counterforce, will it still be evil, if Sentry is evil? or will it turn to a force for good, to balance out what the Sentries doing, because the void was always more about countering what Sentry did

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I love Uncanny Avengers so much

It is an ensemble book but every character gets really nice spotlights and it feels dense but not overwhelming and Acuna's art is goddamn gorgeous

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm still thinking about it, but I think I liked the debate between Rogue and Wanda in this issue. It addresses a bit of the criticism that Remender got. It didn't address it fully I think, but it at least got some attention.

If there is a problem with Rogue and Wanda's argument, it's that I know what Remender thinks based on his comments on Twitter and in interviews, and so I know that Wanda is basically his mouthpiece here.

I think he handled it about as well as he could

He didn't shit all over the opposing side's argument and raised some valid points, but he was always going to favor the pro-Alex side what with writing that speech in the first place

CYpGAPn.png
    Is there a link to the pages anywhere?

Also, I just remembered that he foreshadowed a Rogue/Havok relationship in his AoU tie in issue, which makes me hope that Remender doesn't write her coming around to his point of view if that happens.

While Rogue/Havok could still totally happen I don't think having them be together in a weird semi-post apocalyptic alternate timeline where they are leaders of the Morlocks counts as foreshadowing

CYpGAPn.png
    While Rogue/Havok could still totally happen I don't think having them be together in a weird semi-post apocalyptic alternate timeline where they are leaders of the Morlocks counts as foreshadowing

That's true, it's not necessarily foreshadowing. I think it might be, though.

That is

certainly a tumblr right there

CYpGAPn.png
    yeah it's just the first page I found that had capped the whole thing

I do not endorse the opinions of that blogger

I've gotta laugh at Wanda completely glossing over herself when it comes to destructive mutants. Paging Amanda Bynes (topical!)

I think I'm with Centi, that I know Wanda is Remender so of course he's trying to argue that point. Just look at the quick word count between her and Rogue, lopsided. And in terms of this coming from Wanda of all people, I'm not buying it, Remender should have picked Havok to talk.

I just expected that with nearly four months in between "don't say mutant" and this, it would be a better response than ultimately having Rogue resort to being emotional as though she's conceding the point at the end (I take it this is where it ends)

Remender has also said Cyclops will address Alex's speech in UXM so this isnt the only argument that will be seen

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah, right after that last panel they're interrupted.

But yeah, it's still weird to see someone say "Mutants come from all races... Having powers born into us is the only thing we inherently share!" as if you couldn't replace "powers" with "black skin" right there.

The way I see it though, Wanda's never really been part of the "mutant community" that we've seen in the X-books. It makes a little more sense for her to express this point of view than for Havok, who's spent a lot of time around the Xavier school.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think there's something to be said for Alex being a little out of touch with the mutant community as well. He's spent most of his career with the government, and he missed out on a lot of the post-Decimation stuff because he was in space.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Can't you say that about all of X-men though? If they're not in space then they're in another dimension, lost in time, temporarily dead, mind controlled or in limbo (the forgotten character one, not the hell dimension). Once you sign with a super team you're pretty permanently divorced from the vast "normal" majority.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I did find it funny in UA #1 that Captain America said that he picked Havok because he had no shady history (or something like that, I don't have the issue here), because my first thought was "Except for that time that you were leading the Brotherhood."

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    edited June 2013
    Interesting Marvel interview with Christos Gage about Avengers Arena #13, the search issue, and some preview art:

http://marvel.com/news/story/20792/helpmolly_locate_avengers_arena
    As readers have watched the teen heroes of AVENGERS ARENA battle, struggle and in some cases fall over the last seven months, one question has come up time and again: When will the rest of the Marvel Universe react?

On August 14 in AVENGERS ARENA #13, guest writer Christos Gage steps in to help provide an answer.

The writer of AVENGERS ACADEMY, Gage has more than a vested interest in the cast of AVENGERS ARENA, which includes characters he shepherded such as Reptil and X-23, not to mention one of his own co-creations, Hazmat. Joined by artistic collaborator Karl Moline, Gage will explore what has been going on outside Murder World and how characters like Academy founder Hank Pym and Molly Hayes on the Runaways have been dealing with the loss of their friends and charges plus what they plan to do about it.

Marvel.com: What has been going on with the Academy since Arcade kidnapped the kids?

Christos Gage: Keep in mind it’s only been about two weeks. Since the full-time students graduated in the final issue of AVENGERS ACADEMY—available in handsome collected editions as well as digitally!—Avengers Academy has become less a boarding school and more like a community college or continuing education facility, where young heroes come in for short periods to study specific things, like hand to hand combat or flying or whatever, but most of the time they’re out in the world doing heroic stuff and living their lives. So it’s not as if anyone was plucked from the tight-knit group we saw when the Academy students were all living together. When I spoke to Bill about this story, the main thing I insisted on was that no one realizes the missing kids are missing. Because let’s face it, if the Avengers know these kids they took under their wing to train have been kidnapped, and they’re not out there looking for them with all of Iron Man’s tech and Dr. Strange’s magic and so on, then the Avengers are colossal jerks. So what we see is that Arcade has planned everything very carefully. The people who are supposed to notice when folks like Hazmat and Kid Briton go missing think they know exactly where they are.

Centipede Damascus on
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Young Avengers was really good. It didn't feel like it was spinnign its wheels even though it was a total scene switch. As usual it had rad page layouts. I really like how Speed was written and I for once actually dug the faux anime style. I often feel like it doesn't work in western comics but it was subtle enough here to do the trick. Also holy crap the mood switched towards the end. Fricking cool done in one!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    A.I. - Doombot is exactly what I wanted, yes.

Plot point I hope is a red herring
    Hank Pym's anti-Ultron computer virus responsible for the AI shenanigans. Really, I thought we were turning the corner on the whole "Hank sciences up some bad shit" thing.

I really, really enjoyed Avengers AI

Pym is entertaining as hell, Victor and Vision's brotherly relationship is hilarious and Doombot is Doombot.

As for that plot point:
    I don't think it can be outright bad yet. It is life in it's early stages and from what Chang was saying, they had been trying to wipe it clean for a week or so. For all we know this was just retaliation for that.

CYpGAPn.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    Fricking cool done in one!

This also applies to Speed

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg