As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When does it stop hurting? [Grieving]

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
My younger brother passed away three years ago in a car accident. Probably the roughest moment in my life, unsurprisingly.

Generally day to day I'm fine except for his birthday (today) and the anniversary of his death. No matter how much I mentally prepare myself and remind myself it's just another day/ , I just can't keep it very well togethere these days. I think about him more, think about a lot of what if's (What if our relationship had been better, what if I hadn't given him the money to buy the car, etc) that I know I shouldn't dwell on.

Any experience going through this? Sorry if the actual seeking of advice is vague.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Generally it just gets further away and comes less often. I'm 11 years past and every once in awhile something'll just hit me like a punch in the gut and, bam, day is now a sad one. Songs that remind me are the ones that really get me the most.

Things just keep moving, and the more distance you have plus the more experience you have with loss (because loss is a big part of life), the more you get used to sometimes just being sad.

Everyone will eventually experience something like it, it's a part of being human. I'm sorry you're having to go through it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I lost my parents about 7 years ago and I was in a similar condition for a long time - birthdays weren't so bad since they never acknowledged theirs, but there were certain dates that were just bad days for me.

I found that mentally preparing myself, like you did, was my biggest mistake - it forced me to dwell on something I had finally stopped thinking about day to day, and just got me ready to have a shitty day as a result. Four years after they were gone, I was getting ready to get married, and I realized that those days had come and gone and I didn't realize it for weeks. Since then, some aggressive ignorance - skipping the "it'll be ok" ritual and planning a few months ahead of time (so far ahead so that it's just another obligation on the calendar, not a reminder itself) to be somewhere that won't remind me for most of the day, has been getting me through those days.

Mostly, at least - it doesn't take much of a reminder to undo all that careful lack of work, but it still puts me in a better starting position.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Instead of giving you my own anecdotes, I'm just going to link a letter from Dear Sugar (Cheryl Strayed). It's the most helpful thing I've read, and is more eloquent and thoughtful than I could ever be. I'd try to summarize the bits that are directly applicable but I think it would be a disservice to the letter. On a day like today, it will probably only make you hurt worse, but hopefully the way a massage hurts - in a way that you know is fixing something.

In case you can't access the site:
    Dear Sugar,

1. It’s taken me many weeks to compose this letter and even still, I can’t do it right. The only way I can get it out is to make a list instead of write a letter. This is a hard subject and a list helps me contain it. You may change it to a regular letter if you wish to should you choose to publish it.

2. I don’t have a definite question for you. I’m a sad, angry man whose son died. I want him back. That’s all I ask for and it’s not a question.

3. I will start over from the beginning. I’m a 58 year-old man. Nearly four years ago, a drunk driver killed my son. The man was so inebriated he drove through a red light and hit my son at full speed. The dear boy I loved more than life itself was dead before the paramedics even got to him. He was twenty-two, my only child.

4. I’m a father while not being a father. Most days it feels like my grief is going to kill me, or maybe it already has. I’m a living dead dad.

5. Your column has helped me go on. I can’t explain it, Sugar, but it’s true. My life has been a lot different from yours, but your big heart moves me. No matter what you’re writing about, even if the particular situation has nothing to do with my life, your words feel sacred to me. They hold me up. I have faith in my version of God and I pray every day and the way I feel when I’m in my deepest prayer is the way I feel when I read your words. I’ve never told you this because I’m not the type to write comments on web sites or send fan notes, but I’d like to say it now, in hopes that even if you opt not to publish this, you’ll read it and receive my gratitude for the comfort you’ve given me.

6. I see a psychologist regularly and I’m not clinically depressed or on medication.

7. Suicide has occurred to me (this is what initially prompted me to make an appointment with my psychologist). Given the circumstance, ending my life is a reasonable thought, but I can’t do it because it would be a betrayal of my values and also of the values I instilled in my son.

8. I have good friends who are supportive of me, my brother and sister-in-law and two nieces are a loving and attentive family to me, and even my ex-wife and I have become close friends again since our son’s death—we’d been cold to one another since our divorce when our son was 15.

9. In addition, I have a rewarding job, good health, and a girlfriend whom I love and respect.

10. In short, I’m going on with things in a way that makes it appear like I’m adjusting to life without my son, but the fact is I’m living a private hell. Sometimes the pain is so great I simply lie in my bed and wail.

11. I can’t stop thinking about my son. About the things he would be doing now if he were alive and also the things I did with him when he was young, my good memories of him, my wish to go back in time and either relive happy memories or alter those that are less happy.

12. One thing I would change is when, at 17, my son informed me he was gay. I didn’t quite believe him or understand, so I inquired in a negative tone: but how can you not like girls? I quickly came to embrace him for who he was, but I regret my initial reaction to his homosexuality and I never apologized to him for it. I believe he knew I loved him. I believe he knew I wanted him to be happy, no matter what path his happiness might take. But Sugar, for this and other things, I am tormented anyway.

13. I hate the man who killed my son. For his crime, he was incarcerated 18 months, then released. He wrote me a letter of apology, but I ripped it into pieces and threw it in the garbage after barely scanning it.

14. My son’s former boyfriend has stayed in touch with my ex-wife and me and we care for him a great deal. Recently, he invited us to a party, where he informed us we would meet his new boyfriend—his first serious one since our son. We both lied and said we had other engagements, but the real reason we declined is that neither one of us could bear meeting his new partner.

15. I fear you will choose not to answer my letter because you haven’t lost a child.

16. I fear if you choose to answer my letter people will make critical comments about you at the end of your column, saying you don’t have the right to speak to this matter because you have not lost a child.

17. I pray you will never lose a child.

18. I will understand if you choose not to answer my letter. Most people, kind as they are, don’t know what to say to me so why should you? I certainly didn’t know what to say to people such as me before my son died, so I don’t blame others for their discomfort.

19. I’m writing to you because the way you’ve written about your grief over your mother dying so young has been meaningful to me. I even printed out one of your columns and read it to my psychologist because it had such an impact on me. I’m convinced that if anyone can shed light into my dark hell, it will be you.

20. What can you say to me?

21. How do I go on?

22. How do I become human again?

Signed,

Living Dead Dad

Dear Living Dead Dad,

1. I don’t know how you go on without your son, sweet pea. I only know that you do. And you have. And you will.

2. Your shattering sorrowlight of a letter is proof of that.

3. You don’t need me to tell you how to be human again. You are there, in all of your humanity, shining unimpeachably before every person reading these words right now.

4. I am so sorry for your loss. I am so sorry for your loss. Iamsosorryforyourloss.

5. You could stitch together a quilt with all the times that that has been and will be said to you. You could make a river of consolation words. But they won’t bring your son back. They won’t keep that man from getting into his car and careening through that red light at the precise moment your son was in his path.

6. You’ll never get that.

7. I hope you remember that when you peel back the rage and you peel back the idle thoughts of suicide and you peel back all the things you imagined your son would be but wasn’t and you peel back the man who got into the car and drove when he shouldn’t have and you peel back the man who the man your son loved now loves and you peel back all the good times you had and you peel back all the things you wish you’d done differently, at the center of that there is your pure father love that is stronger than anything.

8. No one can touch that love or alter it or take it away from you. Your love for your son belongs only to you. It will live in you until the day you die.

9. Small things such as this have saved me: how much I love my mother—even after all these years. How powerfully I carry her within me. My grief is tremendous but my love is bigger. So is yours. You are not grieving your son’s death because his death was ugly and unfair. You’re grieving it because you loved him truly. The beauty in that is greater than the bitterness of his death.

10. Allowing such small things into your consciousness will not keep you from your suffering, but it will help you survive the next day.

11. I keep imagining you lying on your bed and wailing. I keep thinking that hard as it is to do it’s time for you to go silent and lift your head from the bed and listen to what’s there in the wake of your wail.

12. It’s your life. The one you must make in the obliterated place that’s now your world, where everything you used to be is simultaneously erased and omnipresent, where you are forevermore a living dead dad.

13. Your boy is dead, but he will continue to live within you. Your love and grief will be unending, but it will also shift in shape. There are things about your son’s life and your own that you can’t understand now. There are things you will understand in one year, and in ten years, and twenty.

14. The word obliterate comes from the Latin obliterare. Ob means against; literare means letter or script. A literal translation is being against the letters. It was impossible for you to write me a letter, so you made me a list instead. It is impossible for you to go on as you were before, so you must go on as you never have.

15. It’s wrong that this is required of you. It’s wrong that your son died. It will always be wrong.

16. The obliterated place is equal parts destruction and creation. The obliterated place is pitch black and bright light. It is water and parched earth. It is mud and it is manna. The real work of deep grief is making a home there.

17. You have the power to withstand this sorrow. We all do, though we all claim not to. We say, “I couldn’t go on,” instead of saying we hope we won’t have to. That’s what you’re saying in your letter to me, Living Dead Dad. You’ve made it so fucking long without your sweet boy and now you can’t take it anymore. But you can. You must.

18. More will be revealed. Your son hasn’t yet taught you everything he has to teach you. He taught you how to love like you’ve never loved before. He taught you how to suffer like you’ve never suffered before. Perhaps the next thing he has to teach you is acceptance. And the thing after that, forgiveness.

19. Forgiveness bellows from the bottom of the canoe. There are doubts, dangers, unfathomable travesties. There are stories you’ll learn if you’re strong enough to travel there. One of them might cure you.

20. When my son was six he said, “We don’t know how many years we have for our lives. People die at all ages.” He said it without anguish or remorse, without fear or desire. It has been healing to me to accept in a very simple way that my mother’s life was 45 years long, that there was nothing beyond that. There was only my expectation that there would be—my mother at 89, my mother at 63, my mother at 46. Those things don’t exist. They never did.

21. Think: my son’s life was 22 years long. Breathe in.

22. Think: my son’s life was 22 years long. Breathe out.

23. There is no 23.

24. You go on by doing the best you can, you go on by being generous, you go on by being true, you go on by offering comfort to others who can’t go on, you go on by allowing the unbearable days to pass and allowing the pleasure in other days, you go on by finding a channel for your love and another for your rage.

25. Letting go of expectation when it comes to one’s children is close to impossible. The entire premise of our love for them has to do with creating and fostering and nurturing people who will outlive us. To us, they are not so much who they are as who they will become.

26. The entire premise of your healing demands that you do let go of expectation. You must come to understand and accept that your son will always be only the man he actually was: the 22 year-old who made it as far as that red light. The one who loved you deeply. The one who long ago forgave you for asking why he didn’t like girls. The one who would want you to welcome his boyfriend’s new boyfriend into your life. The one who would want you to find joy and peace. The one who would want you to be the man he didn’t get to be.

27. To be anything else dishonors him.

28. The kindest and most meaningful thing anyone ever says to me is: your mother would be proud of you. Finding a way in my grief to become the woman who my mother raised me to be is the most important way I have honored my mother. It has been the greatest salve to my sorrow. The strange and painful truth is that I’m a better person because I lost my mom young. When you say you experience my writing as sacred what you are touching is the divine place within me that is my mother. Sugar is the temple I built in my obliterated place. I’d give it all back in a snap, but the fact is, my grief taught me things. It showed me shades and hues I couldn’t have otherwise seen. It required me to suffer. It compelled me to reach.

29. Your grief has taught you too, Living Dead Dad. Your son was your greatest gift in his life and he is your greatest gift in his death too. Receive it. Let your dead boy be your most profound revelation. Create something of him.

30. Make it beautiful.

Yours,

Sugar

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Joe Biden discussed grief a bit over a year ago (he lost his wife and daughter in a car accident)...it is very much worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZ6UfXm410

Skip to 3:36 if you'd like.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    It doesn't. You just get more used to it over time. My uncle killed himself many years ago, and my Dad (his older brother) still reaches out for support every birthday. My dad is 70 and has been through more shit in his life than I can count.
    The silver lining - the fact that it hurts like that means you really cared.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    It doesn't.

The best advice I've ever gotten on the subject was exactly that. The pain never really goes away, you just learn to live with it a little better every day. After this kind of loss, your life has changed. It will go on and you'll be able to laugh and smile and love again, but it will never be what it was before. Accepting that fact is an important part of being able to keep on going.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Another lesson, at least for me, is the realization that I would rather have that pain than nothing at all. That doesn't mean to cling to grief, but feeling sad when remembering those we've lost is part of how we know they are still effecting us, in a way.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    10 years here. It doesn't. It just... doesn't.

But eventually, if you're lucky... maybe you stop being angry.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Thanks guys.

@MrTlicious , that was a rough read today but it did help alot.

I think the comforting thing is that I'm going through something normal. It felt weird (and made me feel guilty) that I would only become this upset on these days.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    As the others said, it never stops hurting, but it gets a little easier over time. It's been seven years since I lost a parent and that will never, ever, stop hurting. But it's more of a scar than an open wound now.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    The only advice I can offer is that while the grief may not go away, perhaps you can transform it. I lost my partner of 7 years to suicide 2 days before christmas in 2001. For 6 months, i didn't move. I was simply numb. I honestly had to be made to eat and bathe. Eventually, as time went on, I learned to be less angry and more accepting, and worked towards turning my grief into a remembrance. I miss him every day, even as I write this, however, though he's gone, nothing can take away the times that we Did have. I'm a little weird, I got a commemorative tattoo as well, to remind myself that while I'm not with him anymore, he's finally at peace. I acknowledge that your situation is largely different, however the hurt and the anger are shared amongst survivors of most of these situations. So, perhaps one day, instead of being hurt that your brother isn't with you, you'll be able to celebrate that he was.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    1 1/2 years here.

It comes and goes, especially close to birthdays or specific dates, important dates, and yeah, some days I'll just be sitting in my car, or at the gym and remember something that I really want to tell them, and then get frustrated I can't, but it does get easier the further I get from it.

I know I'm just kind of echoing what other people have said while adding my own spice to the pot, but it also helps to hear that you're not alone and all that.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    I have found that Buddhism helps me a lot. Not proselytizing, but as you progress through life, developing a knowledge of any philosophy or system of thinking that allows you to view the world in different ways helps you understand your place in it, and the nature of your self and how you relate to events, change, and impermanence.

Not saying you can intellectually just change something like this obviously, but many philosophies are all about the nature of change, suffering, and about how we can be happy in the type of world where these things are a part of our reality.

Sorry to hear about all this, by the way. A sad part of life.

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    Yeah, it sounds hokey, but as a staunch atheist (agnostic, but who gives a shit), I found comfort in my own version of Buddhist thinking. After my friend committed suicide I came to the realization that religions were there in part to help us deal with all of this grief. And while you don't have to subscribe to a particular one, having a system of beliefs that is congruent with tragedy is the way we gird ourselves from paralyzing pain.