As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS Monster hunter broke my R button

BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
So after many hundreds of hours of 3ds fun the R shoulder button started to go and shortly after became completely non responsive. I tried doing some research and it seems the buttons just get dirty inside and is apparently a fault with all ds/3ds models. I took it apart and cleaned it the best I could but it didn't help so I need to buy a replacement part.

I really don't want to buy some cheap ass quality item from china and am having a hard time finding places online that seem reliable. I'm going to call Nintendo and see if they well let me buy the button or a set. I really don't want to send it in and not have it for a few weeks and pay shipping costs/insurance for the system when it's no longer under warrenty. Things are tough in my life and this thing helps keep my sanity so I'd rather keep it with me so I have the option to still play some things while I wait for the parts.

Does anyone know of or have any advice on what places I should look at?

not sure if it's important but they look like this.
Original%20L%20&%20R%20Button%20Switch%20With%20Ribbon%20For%203DS%20A%20(1).JPG

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    May want to look into the Circle Pad Pro -- I'm only familiar with the XL version, but it gives you additional R buttons -- on the down-side it makes it much bulkier. I think it's a huge improvement for playing Monster Hunter, especially underwater stuff.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    Just be happy that Monster Hunter only broke your R button and not your soul. I've had luck finding replacement parts like that on Ebay and Craigslist. I know they're pretty unreliable, but without an R button you won't be able to run from Brachydios and his explosion spam.

StrifeRaZoR.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    When the shoulder button on my original DS broke, I took a bunch of paper and put it into a tiny little ball, and put that between the button and the receiver. And it works like a charm. And has for years.
    Also, fuck Brachydios.

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    MH already has my soul at 180+ hours and nowhere near finished with it.

Called nintendo and they gave me a spiel about how I should get a specialized technician to look at it and they don't sell internal parts. This was after I already told them I took it apart to clean it. I really hate it when companies think everyone is an idiot and can't do a simple repair like this themselves.

So I spent $13 on ebay and ordered the part. Unfortunately all these things are made in china which I have had bad experiences with.

We'll see how it goes I guess.