As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    ho boy today is video artifacting on the desktop day

This rig was running perfectly until this morning i guess but now i'm getting random flashing and artifacts on occasion. This on my new 780 and an hp zr30w

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »
    The first time I saw a UPS was on a military base. Why would I want one for household use? I have one day left of Amazon Prime left and I'm thinking of getting one.

They clean and protect the power, like a power strip, only much better. And sudden loss in power can cause you to lose data or have it be corrupted. In extreme cases it can even damage components. The same reasons they had them on the military base really.

They're just a good way to protect your investment in computer equipment.

I'm going to South Korea, will this one be suitable for varying voltage? (Today is my last day of Amazon Prime.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Specs say input is limited to 90-140V.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »
    The first time I saw a UPS was on a military base. Why would I want one for household use? I have one day left of Amazon Prime left and I'm thinking of getting one.

They clean and protect the power, like a power strip, only much better. And sudden loss in power can cause you to lose data or have it be corrupted. In extreme cases it can even damage components. The same reasons they had them on the military base really.

They're just a good way to protect your investment in computer equipment.

I'm going to South Korea, will this one be suitable for varying voltage? (Today is my last day of Amazon Prime.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Specs say input is limited to 90-140V.

UPS are built for a specific input voltage, so for South Korea you would want a 240V UPS, and they also use a different plug shape then NA, but an adapter will take care of that.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Quick question for you ladies and gents, regarding which platform I should go with for my upcoming build.

I'm looking at doing my first serious, from scratch build in about 6 years and I want to do something that's flexible enough to last for the next 4-5 years for both gaming and running 4-5 virtual devices at a time (I do a good bit of android and other mobile programming/development) and a couple of compute heavy tasks. Problem is I haven't really been keeping track since the first AMD quad cores started rolling out, so I'm not all that up on the latest couple of revisions.

Big question I'm asking myself is do I go for a X79/2011 build with a 3820 or 3930K and as much RAM as I can shove in the mobo and look at going to an Ivy-E chip somewhere down the line, or would a X87/1150 build w/ a 4770K be able to keep up in the long term?

Budget I'm looking at is between $2000-2500 and it'll be a full or E-ATX tower as my big ass hands don't like working in smaller form factor cases and a closed looped liquid solution for CPU cooling.

For heavy virtualization work the extra ram on x79 and potentially the extra cores/threads actually are pretty nice. I'd say a modest 2011 motherboard and a 3820 would see you pretty well and probably not cost much more than an equivalent haswell setup, other than the extra ram.

Basically you'll pay more for the motherboard but less for a quad core i7 on x79 right now as compared to haswell.

Alrighty, kinda what I was thinking with what research I've been able to do this week. X79 it shall be.

Plus I should be able to OC a Sandy-E easier than a Haswell if I ever get the itch.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I can't tell you if the extra cores from the 3930k will be worth the extra cost above a 3820 for your specific workload but definitely if ram matters x79 is the no brainer choice

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ok Computer Thread, this is my old rig:

Athlon II X2 250 @ 3GHz
    8 GB DDR3
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    2x XFX Radeon 6850 Crossfire
    2x 160 GB Sata 5400 rpm HDDs
    Antec 900w power supply
    Antec P180 B case

About what would you say it's worth?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So this is something I've been considering with my computer:

Skype is a pretty cheap alternative to a traditional landline and since I have my computer on all the time, I may as well use it. The thing is, I'm not big on using a headset on the fly and was wondering how hard/expensive is it to get a phone that just.. well.. acts like a phone, but uses Skype?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Houn wrote: »

Athlon II X2 250 @ 3GHz
    8 GB DDR3
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Antec 900w power supply
    Antec P180 B case

Perusing eBay listings, you could probably get somewhere between $100-200 for your pair of graphics cards depending on the precise model and condition.

The rest of it I frankly don't think is worth much to try to resell. Maybe the PSU, I dunno. That is a hella overkillicious PSU for your system, though. No reason not to carry it over to a new build unless there's something wrong with it or it's non-modular and you really want it to be modular or something.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Skype is a pretty cheap alternative to a traditional landline and since I have my computer on all the time, I may as well use it. The thing is, I'm not big on using a headset on the fly and was wondering how hard/expensive is it to get a phone that just.. well.. acts like a phone, but uses Skype?

Easy. My friends phone is a Skype number on his phone. I'm pretty sure iis a regular cordless and not anything special. I can ask if you need more info.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    My computer is together and appears to be stable. Damn I am just continually amazed with how quiet it is.

I have the following build up and running now:
    Intel i5 Haswell 4670 3.4 GHz
    16 GB GSkill 1866
    Asus H87M Pro Micro Mobo
    Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler
    Asus Geforce GTX 770
    Seasonic X Series 650 PSU
    Corsair 350D Case
    and some new Noctua Fans

I cannot be happier with this build, it is whisper quiet, to the point where i keep wondering if its on. I am really impressed with the Asus Geforce GTX 770's sound as well as the Seasonic X Series PSU. I have never worked with a fully modular PSU before, I dont think i could do any differently now.

And the case, I cannot recommend the 350D enough, its a awesome case, so easy to work with. Its got enough space above the mobo for the the H50 and more. The only real complaint I have is there is no magnetic dust filter for the top opening of the case, and I am finding it almost impossible to find any custom dust filter sizes for sale (short of some company from south africa). Anyone have any tips on making your own dust filter?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

Athlon II X2 250 @ 3GHz
    8 GB DDR3
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Antec 900w power supply
    Antec P180 B case

Perusing eBay listings, you could probably get somewhere between $100-200 for your pair of graphics cards depending on the precise model and condition.

The rest of it I frankly don't think is worth much to try to resell. Maybe the PSU, I dunno. That is a hella overkillicious PSU for your system, though. No reason not to carry it over to a new build unless there's something wrong with it or it's non-modular and you really want it to be modular or something.

Nah, that's my old rig before I upgraded, and yeah, the PSU is redonk; the previous one had blown out, and a friend had that one laying around (won it at a PAX) and let me have it as a replacement.

Well, I'll see about asking for $300 OBO for it on the local sale lists. Prefer to offload the whole thing rather than part it out, because I'd mostly rather it be gone than get Top $ for it.

• Options
    Barcardi wrote: »
    My computer is together and appears to be stable. Damn I am just continually amazed with how quiet it is.

16 GB GSkill 1866
    Asus H87M Pro Micro Mobo
    Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler
    Asus Geforce GTX 770
    Corsair 350D Case
    and some new Noctua Fans

I cannot be happier with this build, it is whisper quiet, to the point where i keep wondering if its on. I am really impressed with the Asus Geforce GTX 770's sound as well as the Seasonic X Series PSU. I have never worked with a fully modular PSU before, I dont think i could do any differently now.

And the case, I cannot recommend the 350D enough, its a awesome case, so easy to work with. Its got enough space above the mobo for the the H50 and more. The only real complaint I have is there is no magnetic dust filter for the top opening of the case, and I am finding it almost impossible to find any custom dust filter sizes for sale (short of some company from south africa). Anyone have any tips on making your own dust filter?

Panty hose

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Post what you have now and what you do/want to play. If D3 is your primary jam, a relatively modest upgrade should work. If you want to max Crysis 3, that would be a more substantial change...
    I will post my specs when I get home. I have been out of hardware for a while, and I didn't even build it. I will have to look up my parts at home. I want to get back into this stuff. And get a new rig. D3 I think is just the newest game I play, and it lags on act 3 burning bridge. I am a steam gamer, and a lot of that stuff isn't the newer, though I might get something.

Other thing I do with my PC though is Photoshop, Illustrator. I know I have 8 gigs ram, but forget what kind. So I need to be able to do that as well, but without my specs, I get you can't help. Like I said, I will post tomorrow.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Your specs will help, but you can get an idea of what you may want from this. then fine tune it with feedback/suggestions.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well one thing I want to know, I have been diehard Nvidia. What are peoples thoughts for?

How much dif does a SSD make?

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Ati vs Nvidia depends on your price point. See: This article for a pretty good monthly breakdown. But other than price it's a toss up.

SSD's provide a great speed increase on boot/shutdown and depending on the program/game can really improve load times. Most people swear by them once they use one, but they're not totally vital strictly speaking. But if you're building a new rig and you can fit one into the budget it's probably a good idea, just have a big mechanical for storage.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Currently it's pretty hard to go past a GTX 770 for performance/dollar for the vast majority of gamers.

• Options
    How much is that one?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, besides the 760, anyway.

But, MORE POWER, right?

• Options
    NM, looked it up. 400. I feel like I game with poor house. I have never spent that much on a card.

• Options
    It depends on your specs/resolution/settings, but I've pretty much never paid more than $100-$120 for a card and been happy. So basically just get the best card you feel comfortable forking the cash over for.

• Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    NM, looked it up. 400. I feel like I game with poor house. I have never spent that much on a card.

You don't have to get a $400 card to be happy with your rig. What's your budget?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    well I need to look up what I have now. I only have a 250gig harddrive, so I think that is first upgrade as I can't find any space for things. I will post my computer stats in about 2 hours when I get home.

I don't have a set budget per say, but me and fiance are trying to save for a house. She plays on my rig as well, so I want it to be pleasant for us though. Guess as cheap as I can and not feel like I can't game. I have always aimed at 200 for vid card. I have no idea were I got that figure though. guess I just picked it one build 3 computers or so ago.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

16 GB GSkill 1866
    Asus H87M Pro Micro Mobo
    Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler
    Asus Geforce GTX 770
    Corsair 350D Case
    and some new Noctua Fans

Panty hose

I'm still trying to figure out why you're using the hottest opening in the case as an inlet. Let that hot air rise out of the case!

No shit, though, use either Swiffer cloths or used dryer sheets that are cut down to fit the opening. The Swiffer cloths may be a bit too thick to promote good airflow.

• Options
    edited July 2013

You may also want to check out http://www.ooma.com as another alternative.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

16 GB GSkill 1866
    Asus H87M Pro Micro Mobo
    Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler
    Asus Geforce GTX 770
    Corsair 350D Case
    and some new Noctua Fans

Panty hose

I'm still trying to figure out why you're using the hottest opening in the case as an inlet. Let that hot air rise out of the case!

No shit, though, use either Swiffer cloths or used dryer sheets that are cut down to fit the opening. The Swiffer cloths may be a bit too thick to promote good airflow.

Convective forces are incredibly weak compared to even a very low power fan. The myth in pc cooling that you're working against it needs to die.

Top intake can yield some really good results depending on case and component layout(I've personally tested this)

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    well I need to look up what I have now. I only have a 250gig harddrive, so I think that is first upgrade as I can't find any space for things. I will post my computer stats in about 2 hours when I get home.

I don't have a set budget per say, but me and fiance are trying to save for a house. She plays on my rig as well, so I want it to be pleasant for us though. Guess as cheap as I can and not feel like I can't game. I have always aimed at 200 for vid card. I have no idea were I got that figure though. guess I just picked it one build 3 computers or so ago.

Assuming your CPU is relatively modern, an upgrade to a GTX 760 ($250) and an SSD (variable depending sales) are the two biggest things you can do. The SSD will make your Photoshop/Lightroom/etc stuff waaaay faster and the 760 will be a huge game improvement.

All we really need from you spec-wise is the current CPU, RAM amount, and video card.

• Options
    If any of you have an Asus N56U router, there's a firmware update out there to grab. Granted, before last night, I hadn't looked for firmware in about 3-4 mos so I have no idea how long it's been available.

• Options
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-870A-UD3
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 5112MB used, 11264MB available

Display 1 (tv)
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_13703842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4050 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
    Shared Memory: 3071 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (30Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: HDTV
    Monitor Id: PHL3531
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(i) (60.053Hz)
    Output Type: DVI

Display 2 (monitor)
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_13703842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4050 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
    Shared Memory: 3071 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Dell E228WFP
    Monitor Model: DELL E228WFP
    Monitor Id: DELD015
    Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)
    Output Type: DVI

• Options
    edited July 2013

Some thoughts:
    CPU/Mobo: i3-3220 Dual Core or i5-3350P Quad Core - $190/$237
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 $53
    Case: NZXT Source 210 $35
    Power Supply: Seasonic 520W $70
    Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM $70
    Graphics Card: The GTX 760 is hot shit right now but might be out of your price range at $250. The GTX 660 is probably the next step down at around $200.

So there's a setup that will run you anywhere from $620-$720 assuming you can't use any of your old parts. I'd have to see your old specs to see how it might compare to what you have now.

EDIT:
    OK, I see what you've got above. Is this a prebuilt, or did you or someone else custom-build it?
    Check your power supply and see what the wattage is. With the CPU and 8GB of RAM you already have, you might want to go with just a graphics upgrade and a hard drive. Looking at CPU benchmarks, I don't think the i3 would be any upgrade at all and the i5 I suggested would be a slight upgrade.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd recommend spending a bit more on the vidcard and looking for a 250+ GB SSD to migrate into. I suggest checking Newegg regularly since they have been doing 3-4 day sales on select SSDs about once every week. The rest can wait a bit if you don't have the $700-$1000 available to put into a new system.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Some thoughts:
    CPU/Mobo: i3-3220 Dual Core or i5-3350P Quad Core - $190/$237
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 $53
    Case: NZXT Source 210 $35
    Power Supply: Seasonic 520W $70
    Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM $70
    Graphics Card: The GTX 760 is hot shit right now but might be out of your price range at $250. The GTX 660 is probably the next step down at around $200.

So there's a setup that will run you anywhere from $620-$720 assuming you can't use any of your old parts. I'd have to see your old specs to see how it might compare to what you have now.

EDIT:
    OK, I see what you've got above. Is this a prebuilt, or did you or someone else custom-build it?
    Check your power supply and see what the wattage is. With the CPU and 8GB of RAM you already have, you might want to go with just a graphics upgrade and a hard drive. Looking at CPU benchmarks, I don't think the i3 would be any upgrade at all and the i5 I suggested would be a slight upgrade.

Custom. I have a friend from way back that works at a computer store. I went in said I want to spend around 1k, and I want to be able to play aion. This is what I ended up with.

PSU= I 600 w

edit:
    how much dif does a new gpu make?
    It is a 5 fan case. I was curious about water cooled, but That scares me. I dont' know anything about. 2 in front, 1 side, 1 top, 1 back.

Can you tell ram speed without turning off machine?

How much does faster ram mater? I wonder if D3 is entirely because of internet lag. possible.

Speakeasy test:
    Your Speed Result:
    Download Speed: 25626 kbps (3203.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5075 kbps (634.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

DyasAlure on
  • Options
    RAM speed does not matter when it comes to games.

• Options
    So I guess, just how much dif Will I see from a 400 to a 700 GPU on Nvidia? I am all ready going to want a new HD. No space is bad.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So I guess, just how much dif Will I see from a 400 to a 700 GPU on Nvidia? I am all ready going to want a new HD. No space is bad.

Lots.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A 760 will give 2-3x the framerate at the same resolution/settings compared to a 460.

Your CPU is fine for now, so I'd just do the video card and an SSD. Don't worry about water cooling unless you want to get into overclocking.

That said, the 460 should be handling D3 without any major problems - I'm not familiar with the game, so I don't know if the section you are referencing is particularly intense, though.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    a5ehren wrote: »
    A 760 will give 2-3x the framerate at the same resolution/settings compared to a 460.

Your CPU is fine for now, so I'd just do the video card and an SSD. Don't worry about water cooling unless you want to get into overclocking.

That said, the 460 should be handling D3 without any major problems - I'm not familiar with the game, so I don't know if the section you are referencing is particularly intense, though.

I have a 460 mildly oc'd to 800 and had D3 maxed out with no problems. I never played all 4 levels just 2.5 before becoming bored.

Shoulda tagged @DyasAlure in this since he's the one asking.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular

16 GB GSkill 1866
    Asus H87M Pro Micro Mobo
    Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler
    Asus Geforce GTX 770
    Corsair 350D Case
    and some new Noctua Fans

Panty hose

Oh, no the top opening of the case is my outlet, not in. That is where my CPU heatsink is hooked up for exhaust. Its worked wonderfully so far. The trouble is that the opening on top is the size of 2 160mm fans, so im just concerned that over time dust will settle in there as my CPU cooler heatsink is only 140mm in size. Ill try the panty hose trick.

The in flow for this case is in the front of the case, and already has its own dust filter.

• Options

You may also want to check out http://www.ooma.com as another alternative.

Hrm, not sure. The whole 'may have additional fees based on region, etc' is kind of weird, and the 149 dollars base fee is.. hrm. I'd have to know how it compares to Skype. Not to mention I currently don't have a landline so I don't know how that would affect anything.

@Banzai5150 More info would be fine. Feel free to PM me or message me on Steam.

• Options
    Oh also, is the 780 going to be the best not-crazy-priced video card for the foreseeable (read: half a year) future? If so I was considering maybe getting one if I can find a good vendor and a good sale to replace my 6870 cause I have to assume my GPU is more of a bottleneck than my CPU at this point, and I can always get a second one in the future when I start working on my 'full' upgrade. If it looks like a decently better card will be here before then, however, I may wait since I don't really need any performance upgrades currently.

This discussion has been closed.