As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Magus` wrote: »
    Oh also, is the 780 going to be the best not-crazy-priced video card for the foreseeable (read: half a year) future? If so I was considering maybe getting one if I can find a good vendor and a good sale to replace my 6870 cause I have to assume my GPU is more of a bottleneck than my CPU at this point, and I can always get a second one in the future when I start working on my 'full' upgrade. If it looks like a decently better card will be here before then, however, I may wait since I don't really need any performance upgrades currently.

Radeon 8000 series would be out somewhere in that half-year future as the current speculated release is sometime Q3 2013(july-sept), but AMD is rumored to be doing the same thing as Nvidia with that generation in that it's just a slight clock bump and refresh of the current gen cards. So nothing really exciting for at least a year in the gpu world.

You might as well wait and see what AMD's lineup looks like if you really don't need to upgrade for a couple of months.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So I guess, just how much dif Will I see from a 400 to a 700 GPU on Nvidia? I am all ready going to want a new HD. No space is bad.

It would be a big boost, but looking at Diablo III benchmarks it seems like your current machine should do very well with it. Have you tried playing with just one monitor hooked up to see if you get better performance?

steam_sig.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Oh also, is the 780 going to be the best not-crazy-priced video card for the foreseeable (read: half a year) future? If so I was considering maybe getting one if I can find a good vendor and a good sale to replace my 6870 cause I have to assume my GPU is more of a bottleneck than my CPU at this point, and I can always get a second one in the future when I start working on my 'full' upgrade. If it looks like a decently better card will be here before then, however, I may wait since I don't really need any performance upgrades currently.

Radeon 8000 series would be out somewhere in that half-year future as the current speculated release is sometime Q3 2013(july-sept), but AMD is rumored to be doing the same thing as Nvidia with that generation in that it's just a slight clock bump and refresh of the current gen cards. So nothing really exciting for at least a year in the gpu world.

You might as well wait and see what AMD's lineup looks like if you really don't need to upgrade for a couple of months.

Right now I'm just using a 6870 which is.. honestly not as good as I'd had hoped when I got it, not to mention it has this thing with some games where it doesn't use it's fully power and they run like crap. I'll wait and see what pops up, though I'll probably be more interested come Black Friday time. Right now I'm 1680x1050 but I will be upgrading to a 1440p monitor and I'll definitely need to upgrade then.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Okay so i'm getting weird artifacting at desktop, but never in 3d applications(tested with battlefield and a bit of skyrim and such). Card is running well within spec everything set to stock. I've doublechecked my cables and reinstalled drivers on both the whql and beta releases.

Kinda stumped here. I really don't want to have to go through a return on this card. Anyone have any ideas?

The artifacts appear as random lines or bits of other windows laid over an existing window. Sometimes some flickering on the borders of a window. Clicking on the window or desktop where it's going on always causes it to go away so right now it's just a minor annoyance but my concern is that if i leave it be my card will be out of warranty and explode itself, or more likely i'll get around to waterblocking(thus voiding warranty) it and then it'll explode

This is on my 780

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I remember that 'back in the day' the 2D and 3D on a card was handled fairly differently but I don't really know if that's still a thing. I take it you've done the prerequisite Google search for said artifacting?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    If it's fine in games that sounds like some kind of driver issue. But...send it back shortly before the warranty is up if it doesn't clear up with a driver update? So basically just wait and pray. Handy advice, I know.

Yeah pretty sure it's a 2d kinda thing. All that google suggested to me was that either it is indeed fucked and i'll need a new one or maybe low voltages in 2d clocks which is a thing titans do sometimes apparently

I guess i'll mess around with power settings to see if i can get it to go away

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I gotta wonder how strong 780s will be in SLI and how long they'll last for the future for 'average' level games. To be honest, everytime I upgrade a part I always feel kind of let down with the performance. Especially when I'll load up a fairly old game like Quake IV and have my computer still dip below 60 FPS on a noticeable basis. WHY CAN'T YOU RUN LIKE I EXPECT YOU TO, THINGS?!

2x 780s is hilariously overpowered for any single monitor resolution right now i think.

My one will run bf3 ultra everything except msaa at 2x at an average of 60+FPS on a 2560x1600 resolution.

Of course you can get THREE 760s for the price of one 780 so it's a tough argument to make unless you somehow want even more performance than 2x of those, or you need the vram.

I really like it and plan on dropping a second in next year probably for that SLI goodness bit it's totally an absurd overkill card.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    If it's fine in games that sounds like some kind of driver issue. But...send it back shortly before the warranty is up if it doesn't clear up with a driver update? So basically just wait and pray. Handy advice, I know.

Yeah this is basically where i'm at. The problem mysteriously cropped up yesterday morning and if i had a decent card to use in it's stead while i was waiting for a replacement i wouldn't even blink at returning it. But right now if i pull it i'll have to use a little geforce 210 or stop using this box entirely for a week or three until i get the replacement in so i'm hunting alternatives before actually sending it back

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    See, the issue is everyone is like "Oh yeah, get X card/CPU and you can run Y game at 60 FPS no problem." and then I do and it's never true. Like, maybe I'm missing something but I always seem to get lower performance in things than I expect/are told to expect and it's getting to the point where I'm just like yeah, let me throw something crazy at you that is way more than you need so I can be 100% sure you will fucking run at 60 FPS and not dip to like 30 or lower despite the fact that I'm kicking the shit out of your requirements.

Mind you, I'm probably way more anal in regards to FPS drop than other people but I am not lying when I say even a 5-10 FPS drip from 60 FPS is noticeable as shit to me. People who claim to not tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS blow my mind.

edited July 2013
    hrurm

what CPU and whatnot are you running on?

I admittedly have stupid CPUs and while usually that's not the bottleneck sometimes it still ends up being the sticking point in certain scenes. And/or storage subsystem

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Mind you, I'm probably way more anal in regards to FPS drop than other people but I am not lying when I say even a 5-10 FPS drip from 60 FPS is noticeable as shit to me. People who claim to not tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS blow my mind.

Im the dude that gets mad when it drops from 90 down to 70 so i feel ya there. There's a reason i run silly hardware.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I run a FX-4100 which is 3.6ghz quad-core. I know AMDs kind of suck, but it's all I could get at the time.

Here's a recent example - Borderlands 2. Not what I would call a particularly heavy duty game in terms of graphics (though certainly nice looking) and even at fairly moderate settings I'm not entirely sure I've got that game to run at 60 FPS for more than 2-3s seconds at a time. Oddly enough in a lot of games, strafing side to side seems to have a constant FPS but moving the camera with my mouse often causes a few frame drops, not sure why.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    A 760 will give 2-3x the framerate at the same resolution/settings compared to a 460.

Your CPU is fine for now, so I'd just do the video card and an SSD. Don't worry about water cooling unless you want to get into overclocking.

That said, the 460 should be handling D3 without any major problems - I'm not familiar with the game, so I don't know if the section you are referencing is particularly intense, though.

I have a 460 mildly oc'd to 800 and had D3 maxed out with no problems. I never played all 4 levels just 2.5 before becoming bored.

Shoulda tagged @DyasAlure in this since he's the one asking.

The bridge I speak of has lots of fire animation. I think that is what kills it. That and when a sorcer puts up 20 spells at once. Or WD.
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So I guess, just how much dif Will I see from a 400 to a 700 GPU on Nvidia? I am all ready going to want a new HD. No space is bad.

It would be a big boost, but looking at Diablo III benchmarks it seems like your current machine should do very well with it. Have you tried playing with just one monitor hooked up to see if you get better performance?

I have not turned of the second monitor. It is hooked up to a tv, but downsized for overscan.
    I remember that 'back in the day' the 2D and 3D on a card was handled fairly differently but I don't really know if that's still a thing. I take it you've done the prerequisite Google search for said artifacting?

I'm not an expert, but I would say it is. I had a weird thing were my monitor wasn't plugged in all the way. 2d i.e. desktop worked fine. load up any 3d game, black screen. re plugged in cables fine. weirdest thign.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    i've reseated the cable a few times. I may try it with displayport instead of DVI though to see if that helps.

Although since i just played battlefield for a few rounds suddenly the artifacting is gone. Computers are literally run on black magic i think

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Also re Diablo3 specifically, that game just hangs sometimes. My experience i can consistantly get a frame drop from shooting archon disintegrate through large packs of dudes, and this on a sandy E+crossfire 7970s. Ain't a thing gonna keep it from occasionally hiccuping it's just how that game goes

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    So I thought I would post this here in case anyone else has one of these coolers or perhaps has had a similar experience. I have a Corsair H60 on a sandy bridge 2500k. Two nights ago I suddenly got some very high temps. I believe my max reached was 87C which I believe is quite high for these chips. I removed my H60 block and discovered the thermal paste I had originally put there had moved. You could see a white ring where it had been, but it had gravitated down to the bottom right corner of the chip and all in big fat backwards L shape.

Called up a mate who had some arctic silver and re-did my chip and I'm back to idling 30s and gaming in the 50s but it was quite a surprise to me. At least 2/3 of the chip including most of the center of the chip had no thermal paste on it at all. It has been nearly 2 years to the day that I build this machine so it was certainly time to redo the thermal paste. If you have an H60 and you removed the original paste and used something else be sure and check your temps out.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Magus` : At some point, you're going to just have to plug your nose and jump, or else you'll always be waiting for the "next best thing" in terms of vidcards.

Based on my experience with WoW performance, at some point you become CPU bottlenecked vs. GPU bottlenecked. That may be what you're seeing with games like Borderlands. Or, depending on what temps you are seeing, your CPU could be throttling to keep itself cool.

Well I wanted to reward myself with a good computer for working a year at my job. I probably won't wait that long, I just wanted to know if there is anything I SHOULD wait on, is all. Also WoW performance had always sucked for me. Even on low settings.

edited July 2013
    That's odd. I'm running a Q9450 with a 7950 card and I'm CPU-bottlenecked (now) from running at Ultra at 2560x1440.

It could also be your net connection. Are you running wireless or wired? What speeds do you typically see for your net connection?

Mugsley on
    I don't play WoW anymore but I usually get 20 to 30 mbits on speed tests.

Like outside of raids it wasn't too bad, but certain fights (like the black ooze guy in Dragon Soul) would make my computer drop to like 1-2 FPS and this is not a joke. Like I'll see raid videos that are silky smooth and be like HOLY SHIT HOW DID YOU DO THAT

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Whats your latency(ping)... download speeds don't mean much in multi-player games beyond a certain rate.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    It was like 20-50ms, depending on the day and if I was in a raid or not. I only ever got WoW to run at 60 FPS in the most sparse of areas. Inside dungeons, especially during fights the framerate would tank. 25 mans were just horrendous and nothing I did seemed to fix it ever.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    So, and I'm not sure what of these factors seems to have brought this about, when I switched over my computer to it's new case and cooler, I noticed that one of my CPU pins was a little wonky. Straightened it out as best I could, ended up having to 'reset' Windows 8, and re-download Planetside 2. Suddenly the game actually hits 100+FPS in the Warpgates, and tends to hover around 35-50 FPS in large battles. *boggle*

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    A quick bit or reading and it seems WoW is heavily CPU dependent and the AMD procs just don't hold up well compared to Intel.

Check how they rank on Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I would expect similar from Borderlands.

Anything cpu heavy will crawl on an fx4100

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Been thinking about some more upgrades for my PC with next gen around the corner.

Satisfied with my graphics card (650 Ti) for now but I haven't updated the processor since I first got the computer. It's an AMD Athlon II X4 640, was thinking of upgrading to a AMD FX-8300 later in the year but don't have AM3+ on my current motherboard so it's looking like thats going to be the thing I focus on first.

Was looking for something nice and cheap, found this.

Think that would have legs for two or three years? Won't be trying to put anything too amazing on it, been a console gamer most of my life so I'm good with just decent graphics, medium settings and what not.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Are you sure that your current motherboard can't be updated to support AM3+? I am pretty sure there are some AM3 boards that can do it with a firmware update.

That said, most of us are probably going to recommend you switch over to Intel if you're buying a new motherboard anyway.

Gaslight on
    I believe my PC came with a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX.

From what googling I've done, it seems it's a no go for compatibility with AM3+.

The PC is a HP Pavilion p6716f Desktop. I've upgraded the graphics card (mention in the other post) and the power supply to a corsair 430 (planning to upgrade that soon too) in the past but other than that, it's as I bought it.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Been thinking about some more upgrades for my PC with next gen around the corner.

Satisfied with my graphics card (650 Ti) for now but I haven't updated the processor since I first got the computer. It's an AMD Athlon II X4 640, was thinking of upgrading to a AMD FX-8300 later in the year but don't have AM3+ on my current motherboard so it's looking like thats going to be the thing I focus on first.

Was looking for something nice and cheap, found this.

Think that would have legs for two or three years? Won't be trying to put anything too amazing on it, been a console gamer most of my life so I'm good with just decent graphics, medium settings and what not.

What is your current motherboard and RAM? I'm not sure what the FX-8300 series costs (can't find it for sale) but it looks like the other AMD processors in that range are $150-200? If you want to spend that much you should go with an Intel chip.

Beyond that, I'm not sure a $300 processor/mobo upgrade is even going to get you that far. From the chip you have now, you would probably want to go with one of the high-end i5s to really see a boost.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2013
    What is your current motherboard and RAM?
    Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB according to my computer properties. Not sure if thats the right answer, current motherboard is N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX.

150 bucks for a new processor is about my limit and even then probably going to wait and see if I can find it cheaper around the holidays.

Dr. Chaos on
    So my desk is kind of falling apart/has needlessly sharp edges. Any suggestions for a new one? I would only need it for a computer, not as a workspace or anything. Also I'm tall so something not super close to the ground would be nice.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So my desk is kind of falling apart/has needlessly sharp edges. Any suggestions for a new one? I would only need it for a computer, not as a workspace or anything. Also I'm tall so something not super close to the ground would be nice.

Folding Table?

Unless that cramps your style.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    If you live in the Boston area, I've got a table/desk that I used to use at work. It's just sitting in my basement now. Yours if you can pick it up yourself.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    I do not, but that one @Mugsley linked seems fine. I have no need for a bunch of excess stuff so.. whoo! Thanks!

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    If you don't have an IKEA nearby the shipping will probably be insane, which is what happened to me when I was looking for a desk. I ended up going with this:

http://www.amazon.com/South-Shore-Axess-Collection-Black/dp/B003FGWY1O

It's pretty good for the price, although some folks have been shipped missing and duplicated pieces. Had no problems personally. I got the chocolate, which is a lot darker in person than it appears in the first picture.

This discussion has been closed.