As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria. I farmed up 150 Pieces of Meat and all I got was this lousy belt.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    all engineers are getting it
    Yay!

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    It is, however, a mandatory one month wait to build it given that it requires thirty 1-day cooldowns.

Supposedly it can be sold and used by non-engineers though so it could probably be a cash cow for a while.

What do you mean why am I stockpiling living steel right now? >.>

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    also, did they remove drops from all scenarios?
    because seeing binan village really sucks now without getting 5 stacks of cloth out of the deal

No? I am real unsure as I still see green item drops

Are you sure? In my experience you can get greens and other assorted crap from the cache, but apparently you can't get anything from the mobs anymore. I've been doing a ton of normal and heroic scenarios recently and haven't seen any loot at all.

Which is bullshit. There's no incentive whatsoever to go help your friends and guildies gear up, aside from the warm fuzzy feeling. I'll never understand why Blizzard hates alts so much, when alts are the reason the majority of their long time player base keeps playing.

MSL59.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they disabled loot from mobs in scenarios.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they disabled loot from mobs in scenarios.

Makes sense.

I mean, Scenarios are already mind numbingly boring, unreliable sources of loot, give no rep from kills, and the least amount of daily VP you can earn.

Might as well remove any real benefit from running them to just hammer the point of how painfully bad they are home.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    They did indeed remove all loot from mobs in scenarios, both Normal and Heroic.

Edit: With regard to time:reward value, the cache in Normals has been buffed pretty ridiculously; I can and regularly do get 450-463 blues, 476 epics (not world drops, the ones tailored to heroics), 1-2 BoE greens, decent amount of gold and some JP for each.

Now, Heroic scenarios are a different matter. They can either give you a 516 (rarely) or nothing.

It's, ah...it's usually nothing.

Halfmex on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    in a recent interview, someone said that the heroic scenarios were "what they originally envisioned when developing the feature." I don't know why they set out to make short, yet still tedious instances without loot though. nor why they originally presented them as a replacement for leveling group quests, then implemented them only for max level characters.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they're a way to 1) give players a relatively challenging group task that doesn't require a tank/healer and 2) insert little bits of story that don't or can't necessarily take place in the game world.

I don't really see what the problem is with them, they're quick and they're a great way to farm vp

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    they're a way to 1) give players a relatively challenging group task that doesn't require a tank/healer and 2) insert little bits of story that don't or can't necessarily take place in the game world.

I don't really see what the problem is with them, they're quick and they're a great way to farm vp

The problem is that aside from a bag at the end, they provide zero rewards.

5mans give more VP, more JP, rep if you need it still, loot from kills, loot from bosses (even if its just a shard), and are (aside from possibly Scholo and Monastery) faster than Scenarios. Plus, faceroll or not, they still require something resembling roles.

Heroic Scenarios can be a really good source of VP, but their loot is way too rare, and at least for the ones I've done aren't much harder than the normal version (except brewing storm...) but just take a lot longer unless most everyone in your group doesn't need the 516 stuff anyway. But they still have the problem of being too long, no rep, no loot, etc.

I don't think I've ever finished a Scenario and felt like I had fun. Aside from all of the logistical objective problems with them, I just personally don't find them fun, at all.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever finished a Scenario and felt like I had fun.
    I did twice. First time I did Dagger in the Dark and Dark Heart of Pandaria.
    Then again, I die a little every time I see the Brewmoon Festival loading screen.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular

5mans give more VP, more JP, rep if you need it still, loot from kills, loot from bosses (even if its just a shard), and are (aside from possibly Scholo and Monastery) faster than Scenarios. Plus, faceroll or not, they still require something resembling roles.

Heroic Scenarios can be a really good source of VP, but their loot is way too rare, and at least for the ones I've done aren't much harder than the normal version (except brewing storm...) but just take a lot longer unless most everyone in your group doesn't need the 516 stuff anyway. But they still have the problem of being too long, no rep, no loot, etc.

I don't think I've ever finished a Scenario and felt like I had fun. Aside from all of the logistical objective problems with them, I just personally don't find them fun, at all.

Man what? Are you running 5-mans with the crew from Method and then play scenarios with a blind guy and a bot? There is no, absolutely no way that you can finish the Pandaria 5-mans faster than scenarios if you approach them with the same amount of skill and knowledge.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    well, you could probably blitz through like, temple of the jade serpent or something faster than you could do a couple of the longer heroic scenarios. But in general hscens are much faster VP than five mans

also I'm not sure why the only reward being the VP/box at the end is really a problem. I never went into a five man thinking 'oh man a chance to get a few random greens' or whatever

NREqxl5.jpg
    MetalMagus wrote: »

Man what? Are you running 5-mans with the crew from Method and then play scenarios with a blind guy and a bot? There is no, absolutely no way that you can finish the Pandaria 5-mans faster than scenarios if you approach them with the same amount of skill and knowledge.

It's rare that I get groups in LFD anymore that don't just burn through things so fast you barely have time to stop and loot; particularly if I'm the tank.

It's rare that I get in scenarios that one person isn't afk'ing and the other person is doing 10k dps and constantly dying.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Normal scenarios are pretty crap unless you're waiting for an LFR queue or something, but Heroic Scenarios are salvation. Om nom nom easy VP.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'm not sure I'm missing the point or just getting really good value out of my VP and tokens. I have VP capped once since MoP dropped. I have yet to feel so far behind a gear curve that I can't reliably contribute to an instance, scenario or raid in whatever current gear I have. I do the first camp of GL dailies for 10 tokens, every day I remember or can reliably do so (being i528 makes it ridiculously easy and fast); and I'll do the AC dailies if they are Xuen or Jade Serpent. I haven't done LFR in a month since there is no gear that drops which can help me; and I'd rather do something else with my time right now than roll the dice on Runestone drops.

Mugsley on
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular

It's rare that I get groups in LFD anymore that don't just burn through things so fast you barely have time to stop and loot; particularly if I'm the tank.

It's rare that I get in scenarios that one person isn't afk'ing and the other person is doing 10k dps and constantly dying.

So the answer is yes. I'm sorry for your run of bad luck with PUGs, but that certainly doesn't make it indicative of the entire system.

If I join up with a guild that has normal ToT on farm for a full clear and then wipe 2-3 times on each boss in LFR thanks to idiots and noobs, that doesn't make LFR harder than the normal raid.

• AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    So my guild finally made it to Lei Shen. My favorite LFR fight, now in normal! Anyway we're having trouble with the first transition phase, someone always seems to die. I think the problem may be that they stack up for Static Shock or Overcharge then get zapped by Diffusion Chain, any tips? Oh and if it helps we're spliting up the groups 4-3-2-2 with a healer in each group and the two tanks in the last.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Advocate wrote: »
    So my guild finally made it to Lei Shen. My favorite LFR fight, now in normal! Anyway we're having trouble with the first transition phase, someone always seems to die. I think the problem may be that they stack up for Static Shock or Overcharge then get zapped by Diffusion Chain, any tips? Oh and if it helps we're spliting up the groups 4-3-2-2 with a healer in each group and the two tanks in the last.

They die during the split up phase?

What we did was have the two tanks alone in two of the sections. They won't get most of the moves this way - I think they still get bouncing balls (and may need to hold onto an add for a few mins if they get two swirlies). For the other two, everyone spread out, once someone is overcharged, group up on them, then spread out again. For the second Overcharge, wait a second or two before grouping up, because it almost always coincides with a Diffusion Chain.

We got rid of Diffusion Chains the first time and then after that first transition we basically had everyone stack up the entire time (put a mark on someone and everyone stand on that guy). That takes care of double overcharge you get when that panel levels up, and you're good for static shock too. Second transition phase everyone just stack the entire time, except when going to grab swirly balls. I think we got rid of Overcharge the second time, although I can't remember if it even matters in the last phase.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

yeah. diffusion chain and static shock are on diferent timers. Get close but don't stack until the right time (for shock).

We have him at 18% on heroic. Might extend lockout this week, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

steam_sig.png
    For us, it ultimately came down to some extra gear and additional experience in the transitions. Get your warlock (if you have one) to put a portal up for the people who will have to run diagonally to their section of the platform.

The biggest realization for us was that if people are using damage mitigation for the Overcharge, the ~400k that goes out will get divided among everyone else and kill them. So instead, people would burn personal cooldowns and eat the damage individually (Deterrence, Block, Shams can Astral Shift + Sham Rage, Druids can use....something).

For Diffusion Chain, get the tanks to do what they can to taunt the adds off everyone, unless the adds can be burned down. People need to be spot-on with bouncing bolt too.

I know we changed which pillar deactivates first but I can't remember which one specifically. I want to say Bouncing Bolt was first but it may have been Diffusion Chain.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

They die during the split up phase?

What we did was have the two tanks alone in two of the sections. They won't get most of the moves this way - I think they still get bouncing balls (and may need to hold onto an add for a few mins if they get two swirlies). For the other two, everyone spread out, once someone is overcharged, group up on them, then spread out again. For the second Overcharge, wait a second or two before grouping up, because it almost always coincides with a Diffusion Chain.

We got rid of Diffusion Chains the first time and then after that first transition we basically had everyone stack up the entire time (put a mark on someone and everyone stand on that guy). That takes care of double overcharge you get when that panel levels up, and you're good for static shock too. Second transition phase everyone just stack the entire time, except when going to grab swirly balls. I think we got rid of Overcharge the second time, although I can't remember if it even matters in the last phase.

This strat is the one I've seen touted as the best for 10m, for what it's worth.

So the answer is yes. I'm sorry for your run of bad luck with PUGs, but that certainly doesn't make it indicative of the entire system.

If I join up with a guild that has normal ToT on farm for a full clear and then wipe 2-3 times on each boss in LFR thanks to idiots and noobs, that doesn't make LFR harder than the normal raid.

But it does make it less fun and something you'll probably avoid in the future; because your experience was bad, and the rewards were worse than what you could get the other way.

edited July 2013
    One more day and I can get my cloak. Since I got fucked out of it this week (seriously, fuck you Titan Runestone drop rate). I am gonna make sure I get home early to run Lei Shen LFR (hopefully not twice) and power through the stupid fighting Wrathion thing. Which I have watched videos for. I hope I can burn him down like the one rogue in the video did, because fuck those adds, I don't want to deal with them.

Edit: Oh, also, we cleared Heroic MSV last night :P haha... only a little behind there ;) It's funny how trivial some of the fights are in ToT gear + the raid-wide mob debuff. Our strategy for Heroic Elegon was actually to get like 7 stacks of the spark stuff and burn him to ~55%, let the floor fall out, then when it comes back, burn him to sub-50% and nuke him. He doesn't even go into phase 3 :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Epic quality (purple) Valor items sold by all other Mists of Pandaria faction quartermasters no longer have reputation requirements, and will now cost Justice Points instead of Valor.
    yay for alts I guess ^^

edit: that's the 489 stuff, 522 is still for valor
    makes sense given that i guess there will be new honor gear with an even higher ilvl
    on that note
    it's not 500 JP for 250 honor -.-

boo for me wanting to buy honor trasnmog gear sometimes

Enosh20 on
    edited July 2013
    Are they going to make Justice easier to get at least? It's kind of annoying right now. Scenarios seem to be the best way, otherwise there aren't many options (you can get some from the chests at the end of treasure scenario too).

Warlock82 on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Are they going to make Justice easier to get at least? It's kind of annoying right now. Scenarios seem to be the best way, otherwise there aren't many options (you can get some from the chests at the end of treasure scenario too).

Depending on the dungeon, they do actually give a lot of JP. If they have lots of bosses, you get shit loads.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited July 2013

LFD is far and away the best way. Each boss gives you like 150 JP now. Just chain running LFD can max your JP in a few hours if you get decent groups.

Which is pretty nice that old VP gear is finally going to be JP. Gearing up to 489/496 will be able to be done in a day now for alts, should you want.

Which is the way it should have fucking been in 5.2.

Is the Shado-pan Assault VP gear getting reduced cost? Even if not, not a big deal, all the gear has a low rep requirement now, and that'll be the best use of VP for alts that are earning all that JP to get into LFR.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited July 2013
    Oh did they add that then? I haven't bothered with LFD in awhile since I hate most of the dungeons. And pugs.

And yes, SP Assault gear is like 33% cheaper

Warlock82 on
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    You no longer need teams for arenas.
    Big changes are coming to World of Warcraft’s Arenas that will make participating more convenient and competitive than ever before, and some of those changes may begin appearing on the PTR very soon.

Today, competition is limited to the realms within your Battlegroup, and your ability to participate in the Arena system requires having a static team with friends on the same realm. In the upcoming Patch 5.4, we’re building on technological improvements we’ve made over time (such as region-wide matchmaking) to expand the pool of competitors and improve the Arena experience for all World of Warcraft players.

One of the first things you’ll notice in Patch 5.4 is that you’ll no longer need to join or create an Arena team to compete. Instead, queuing will work much as it does for Rated Battlegrounds: you can queue for an Arena battle in a party of the appropriate size (still 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5), and your opponents will be selected based on the average Match Making Rating of your party.

For the most part, the mechanics of Arena will remain the same. You’ll still gain and lose personal rating based on your wins and losses, though your Conquest Point cap will now be based on your Personal Rating. The rating requirements to purchase items will also be based on your Personal Rating.

The change will confer a few advantages over the old static-team-based system:

You’ll no longer need to worry about invitations, joining, or leaving an Arena team. Now you can play with who you want, when you want.
    You’ll be able to join a cross-realm group and queue for Arena matches with friends from other realms.
    The Arena ladder will no longer be sorted according to Battlegroup. Just like Rated Battlegrounds and normal Battlegrounds, now all Arenas will be region-wide. You’ll be competing with a field of opponents that includes every Arena player in your region.

As before, at the end of an Arena season, the top players will still earn titles and mounts.

We’re excited for these changes, and we’re eagerly looking forward to hearing your feedback. Please join us on the PTR when these updates go live to check them out for yourself.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Honestly, the only thing I miss about having/needing a team? The team names. I dunno, there was just something kind of cool about that. But otherwise, awesome!

So tonight my guild decided to do the Twin Consorts achievement (kill Moonbitch before Sunbitch). The thing is we had so much dps that we killed Moonbitch before her phase ended.

Which meant that there were no meteors for Sunbitch. Which meant her Blazing Radiance stacks kept going up and up and up. The fight ended with her at like 80 stacks. It was so nuts, but also so fun. I parsed like 94 on World of Logs too.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    We've done that in LFR before. Just like, hell with phase 3 right?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Last night Prince Malch dropped his pet, so yay no more Chess!

Though I think the game just threw the last one, just marched Llane up to where I had the 3 ranged types (whatever the queen and bishops are) could beat on him, while a grunt was also beating on him, and in cleave range when I moved up Blackhand.

All I have left are the ones from Curator, Tidewalker, A'lar, and Astronomancer. Once I'm done with one of those I can start adding the Deepholm dungeon back into my weekly rotation for a shot at that mount.

edited July 2013
    They made Chess so easy now that it's not even really a hassle. I kept doing it just for the hell of it even after I got that piece, cuz I still needed stuff near the end (like Illhoof/Curator) and figured I might as well finish the place.

Also, yay I get my cloak tonight. I'm super excited :D

Warlock82 on
    I'm waiting for some point where the PvP people will be bitching up a storm about "shitty LFA" and how people are just farming points and how it's horrible. It will happen.

• MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    You still need to form your own group so it should be all good.

Unless I'm misreading something.

[2. Trade] LFG Arena farming! Full on Rogues. ilvl 540 required!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    They made Chess so easy now that it's not even really a hassle. I kept doing it just for the hell of it even after I got that piece, cuz I still needed stuff near the end (like Illhoof/Curator) and figured I might as well finish the place.

Also, yay I get my cloak tonight. I'm super excited :D

Chess is pretty RNG, sometimes llane will jump out and bumrush your pieces before you can kill the healers and it's really rough to recover from that.

Sometimes you win with 80% of your pieces up. Hate chess solo, thankfully I have two netherspace abyssals already but I still can't sell the spare. Not in too terribly much of a hurry to keep doing Prince for more crap I can't sell. :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah the ways in which they have made the Chess event "easier" are things that never really made it difficult to begin with.

Get rid of the ten second debuff that prevents you from switching pieces and the fight is suddenly not only doable, but actually kind of enjoyable

They increased the time in between Medivh cheating and I think nerfed Heroism/Bloodlust for the AI. The way I do it, I pretty much never lose since the changes.

• AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Welp 27 wipes later and no Lei Shen kill, what a shame. I tried telling our raid leader about the tips you guys gave but he didn't want to try them until like the end of the night and by then I think everyone was just too tired to think anymore. Oh well I'm sure we can get him next week with a bit more gear and at least we know what to expect now.