As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unfinished Business - Games You Liked But Never Compl

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Link to the Past

You get back in there, solider!

august on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never finished Ninja Gaiden, but it wasn't because it was too hard. It really wasn't once I got the hang of it, though the rate the game expected me to get better was a little frustrating sometimes during the beginning of a given section where I would take a lot of damage and get really short on healing only to figure out how to fight the new enemies and then cease to take damage.

Rather, I stopped playing for a reason I've never heard of anyone else not beating it: I had to put in a lot of effort into the game and the game never really rewarded me for it, or it felt like it didn't because of its uneven pacing.

I mean, most of the game is searching for those three pieces of the tablet to place into the thingy at the beginning of the big bad city. Now, to do this, a bunch of non-nonsensical crap happens and I go places that don't really make sense to progress. That's fine, I can go along for the stupid ride that doesn't really want me to understand what's going on, but the first two pieces come fairly quickly. They're pretty much right there as you trek through the city. That's fine. It makes sense and keeps things moving well enough.

And then I spend the majority of the game running around and killing some more stuff. Ice caves, fire caves, sewers, catacombs, whatever. And what do I get at the end of it? The third piece.

Great. I spent all that time and effort for the last piece. The first two may have been placed in easily accessible locations like in glass cases in a cathedral, but the third, oh no, that one's not easy. The third piece is placed beyond zombies, fiends of numerous descriptions, caves made of ice, caves filled with lava, soldiers, tanks, helicopters, giant electrical worms, and obvious traps.

I didn't really know where the game was going with all this, but I got that third piece of the tablet and opened a portal to the starting town, I just lost all my motivation. I did all that to get next to nowhere. At least at first I felt like I was making progress. Then Team Ninja decided that progress is for suckers and told me to fuck off and jump through hoops to accomplish next to nothing.

Great.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I get about halfway through any given game before the mechanics start to become stale. Very few games do enough to change it up and make it interesting for the whole game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find that it's mostly RPGs that I get stuck on and walk away from. Usually because of either: A stupid long fetch quest, or a needlessly difficult boss.

In paper mario: 1000 year door, It was over a year between when I got to chapter 7 and when I actually decided to play again and finish the game. The reason: in order to reach the next area, you had to 'chase' a character around the entire world, revisting every single location form the game.

about a year ago I stopped playing final fantasy x near the end even though I had been really into the plot/enjoying the mechanics. I reached the boss where you had to constantly rotate your characters around to keep them safe from his aoe breath attack. it was a lame gimmick and after my second game over there I walked away.

some games I've left partway that I at least intend to return to eventually:
    metal gear solid 3
    chrono cross
    final fantasy x
    contact

SaraLuna on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pretty much every JRPG and SRPG i've ever played (which is a huge list as they are pretty much my favorite types of games) i usually play until i hit a spot i'd need to grind to get past, which is usually 20-30 hours in, then just stop because i absolutely hate grinding. And by grinding i don't mean difficulty, i love difficult games, what i can't stand is when they stick parts in where if you've just been killing things and following the story along rather than constantly reloading one area and killing everything inside theres no way you'll be high enough leveled to pass it. The worst offenders are disgaea 1/2 and all the followups, they start off as an SRPG then about 10 hours in they switch over to "olol strategy means nothing, go grind in the item world olol" :|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    OCD is a contributing factor for me a lot of the time. I want to get everything in the game there is to do, but then the enormity of that task becomes apparent and I eventually lose interest in the game altogether.

My best friend is the same way...the only game i know of that proved to be too much for him was Dark Cloud 2. He did indeed love that game, though.

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jeez, I'd say at least 75% of the games I own could be classified as unfinished. There's so many I couldn't even start to list them all.

Problem for me is that I buy so many games that I always turn my attention to whatever the newest game is. That and I'm pretty busy with work and other things. It gets to the point where I actually have to force myself to play and beat a game.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OCD is a contributing factor for me a lot of the time. I want to get everything in the game there is to do, but then the enormity of that task becomes apparent and I eventually lose interest in the game altogether.

My best friend is the same way...the only game i know of that proved to be too much for him was Dark Cloud 2. He did indeed love that game, though.

Man I wanted to like that game so much. I was totally digging the story they had going and I was excited about crafting and city-building, and then they started hitting me with those stupidly long randomized dungeons and I just couldn't keep going.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fuck you, Warrior Within. Godsmack? Are you serious? Fuck you.

That's my entry.

SithDrummer on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Reasons why people don't get through games they start:

1. the 'novelty' of the new game wears off
    2. they are too busy with other things in their life
    3. they end up with other games and then start those instead of finishing one
    4. they get busy and forget, then come back and realize they don't remember what's going on, then say fuck it.
    5. the game in question is just too goddamn long and they lose the feeling of 'need to see the game to the end', even if they did in fact enjoy the gameplay
    6. someone gets stuck on a part and just doesn't have the time/energy to invest in it to figure out how to get past that part
    7. Game is just too difficult period.
    8. so many 'side quests' or other 'things to do' in the game that a player never bothers finishing the 'primary plot/goal/story/etc.'
    9. The multiplayer aspect of a game becomes the only reason to play the game, and the player 'gets enough out of the game' just from that
    10. A game has you doing a repetitive task, or is very repetitive in its gameplay, to the point where you've simply "had enough" and don't care to finish it
    11. games like Warrior Within are too fucking painful to play.

that's what I think.

Also, if a person finds the game boring, obviously they might not finish it.

delphinus on
    edited August 2007
    Fuck you, Warrior Within. Godsmack? Are you serious? Fuck you.

That's my entry.
    Hell I bought the game TWICE - once on Xbox and once on PSP - and never beat either. :P

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pretty much everything that's been said here is what happens to me with games (ninja gaiden too hard for example).

On a side note but I bought a 2 month gamecard for WOW...started a nightelf druid...got to level 38 and got over it. The idea of grinding to level up so I can wear better armor so I can grind again against some harder guys really wore thin with me. (please don't hate me)

Coreo on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FFX pissed me off and I never finished it.
    I got to the final boss and in realizing how short that made the game, I stopped right there. I enjoyed FFX a lot and was pissed at how short it was.

I just said to hell with Majoras Mask. I recently played through OoT again and it just feels to much of the same without that epic taste. Maybe hit it up some months from now.

I never finished Yoshi's Island or Mario RPG so I am going through them right now.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I always get like this. I leave several games unfinished, and then when the mood strikes me every few months, I finish em en masse. My latest swoop included a weekend of completing FFXII and Twilight Princess among others.

Currently on there are Okami and Skies of Arcadia. But they'll have to wait until MP3's done with.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got to the final boss and in realizing how short that made the game, I stopped right there. I enjoyed FFX a lot and was pissed at how short it was.
    I didn't think FFX was short at all. Are you sure you were actually at the final boss?

mntorankusu on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't think FFX was short at all. Are you sure you were actually at the final boss?

It was pretty short. You can blow through it in a weekend easy. Not to mention, the linear nature of the game meant you had to go out of your way to do side-quests, which for the most part were retarded.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FFX wasn't short to me, it was too damn easy

Lulu + Doublecast + 1 MP + MP Turbo + Ultima and/or Flare = how can anything I face possibly hope to stand against me

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used to give hyped up games exceedingly long times to impress me, like 4 hours.....now i go by the rule "If I'm not enjoying it within the first hour Im done". So, I was not able to finish:

Doom 3
    Oblivion
    STALKER
    virtua fighter 4 and evolution

and man did Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay blow Doom 3 out of the water. Played it for the first time last week on the PC. holy crap was it good times

tracertong on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    oh, I forgot:

games that have 2 gameplay "modes" but one is so terrible it keeps you from the good one.
    witness Prince of Persia: SoT and TTT - Incredible puzzle/platforming bogged down by terrible combat (I didn't even bother with warrior within after hearing about it's focus on combat, ignoring other offenses)

In Sands of Time, I reached a room (it was a kitchen/dining hall I think) where waves and waves of dudes come at you. After about 20 deaths I put that one away.

The Two Thrones was vastly improved with it's combo-for-insta-kills system, but that wasn't able to prevent the rape-point: the double boss guys after the 2nd chariot event. My roomate (who was much better at the combat than I) nearly destroyed my xbox controller fighting those guys. He managed to kill them after almost 6 hours of attempts. After seeing him take so long to do it, I gave up after about 5 tries.

SaraLuna on
    edited August 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    I used to give hyped up games exceedingly long times to impress me, like 4 hours.....now i go by the rule "If I'm not enjoying it within the first hour Im done"

Doom 3
    Oblivion
    STALKER
    virtua fighter 4 and evolution

I still stick by the 4 hour rule myself (Or one evening of play). My thinking is that typically the first hour you are just learning how to play, and some games take a little bit to hit their stride.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • CaptarcherCaptarcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For me it was Legend of Draggoon. The final boss was so hard. I finally looked up the final video online and watched it. I lied to myself for years, saying i really beat it. still got it around somewhere.

There will be a sequel out soon!

Captarcher on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It was pretty short. You can blow through it in a weekend easy. Not to mention, the linear nature of the game meant you had to go out of your way to do side-quests, which for the most part were retarded.
    I know it took me longer to beat FFX than FFVII, which doesn't really mean anything, but it's really all I have to go by when it comes to length.

I never really think too hard about how long a game is unless it's ridiculously short or ridiculously long, I guess.

mntorankusu on
    edited August 2007

If you consider 50+ hours short...

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Suikoden II. Luca Blight.

Magna Carta. Nightmarishly bad localization.

Vanguard Bandits... ridiculously unfair battle.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines: the Kuei-Jin.

Phantasy Star II: the science lab dungeon.

There's plenty, but they're the key offenders right now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

Or 15...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2007

I don't even know what I'd do for 50 hours in that game.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    whaaaa? :confused look:

FFX is a game I didn't not finish either (just didn't enjoy anything about it), but I know it was longer then 15 hours

SpikedFreak on
    edited August 2007

Or 15...

:shock:
    What? Do you run from every battle or something?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited August 2007

Or 15...

No way. It's possible to steamroll through FFX. I was about 80% through the game in two days.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Reznik wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII: ...that I just don't care about any of the characters or the story so there's nothing motivating me to play...

coldbird. on
    edited August 2007
    I must concede the point, because I'm apparently full of crap. I just looked at my save game to discover I did spend just a hair under 50 hours in it.

I am willing to bet that a significant chunk of that time is running around putting spheres into slots arbitrarily in the various temples trying to solve the "puzzles"

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2007

Or 15...

No way. It's possible to steamroll through FFX. I was about 80% through the game in two days.
    Not to derail this thread even further than it already is, but I'm calling bull on this. Unless you played through those 2 days straight without stopping.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Baldur's Gate II.

I wear it as a mark of shame. When my training period ends I'll use it to burn off some of the unemployment boredom.

Suriko on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh there are plenty of games I've played that I have not beaten, but a few come to mind:

-Oddworld: Abe's Exedous. The trials, from Disc One. Sooo hard!
    -Silent Hill 2, I love it but it's too damn depressing.
    -Pokemon Blue. Way back when I got rid of it with 120 pokemans owned. Still regret getting rid of it.
    -And, shame of shames, I have yet to get the "real ending" in Cave Story. It's so damn hard! But I love it so! I'm a masochist or something...

Curly_Brace on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never beat Fallout. I got the water chip, and then
    Hay there's an army, go fight it lols
    That kinda bothered me and I never went back. I had tons of fun with it up until then, though.

I accidentally spoiler'd myself on the ending of Shadow of the Colossus, and after that I didn't play as often so I only beat two or three more colossi before I just stopped playing. Not on purpose or anything, but other stuff came along and I never got around to it. But I will some day, I swear :(

I never even got to Baldur's Gate in the first BG. I've beaten BG2 several times and played through it partially countless more, though.

Let's see... I played Battle for Middle Earth 2 for a while and enjoyed it, but I never finished either campaign.

I still haven't finished the main quest in Oblivion. I think I have two characters that are supposed to be going to Sancre Tor, but I just haven't. There's too much fun shit to do to worry about Oblivion gates.

I've never finished any C&C game, but I think I came close in Red Alert 2.

Walrus Pete on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    11. games like Warrior Within are too fucking painful to play.

Man, there is a guy I work with who thinks Warrior Within was the best PoP game. I seriously thought he was joking when he said it. Like I laughed. I want to slit his throat with the broken edge of the DVD.

YodaTuna on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This would fall under "almost every game I play"

Just off of the top of my head -

KOTOR - I don't know why I haven't finished this game. I've gone from the start to the star forge two different times yet I keep quitting at that point.

X-COM: UFO Defense. One of my favorites, quit at 20% or so

Deus Ex, quit at 90%

Splinter Cell (all of them) - quit at various points anywhere from very early to the final battle (chaos theory)

Gears of War - quit after the first level in single player

Too many others to list. These are all games I like, mind you.

Why do I do it? Mostly because I lack the time to play a game all the way through before the next big release comes along. Deus Ex and KOTOR are my top two games of all time, yet I've never finished them. Bioshock may end up the same way.

Games I like that I have finished have been relatively short - Max Payne, Max Payne 2, GRAW1 and 2, Rainbow Six Vegas.

Besides Bioshock right now I am making a concerted effort to play and finish Halo 1 and 2 before 3 is released.

Game I am most proud of having beaten - Kid Icarus.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Captarcher wrote: »
    For me it was Legend of Draggoon. The final boss was so hard. I finally looked up the final video online and watched it. I lied to myself for years, saying i really beat it. still got it around somewhere.

There will be a sequel out soon!

ZUH?!

We're probably the only two people that liked it, dude. Wasn't nuts on the story but really liked the battle system.

As for me:

I also have never beaten A Link to the Past. Nor do I really want to. I loved the game at first but after OOT and WW it just didn't feel that fun to me.

Warrior Within (for the Godsmack related reasons posted above. Also, "YOU BITCH!")

Gears of War. This game is the prime example of the novelty wearing off before the game reaches its end.

And chalk me up to the "too bored with FFXII" to finish it column. I tried twice. But fuck, that was some boring shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Reading through this thread since my reply, there were a couple more games I never completed:

Oblivion: the main quest is god awful, and exceptionally boring. I hate being the sidekick to that Boromir-voiced guy, and I hate closing damned oblivion gates. I just quit

Twilight Princess: I did not enjoy this game at all. I kept quitting out of boredom or frustration at silly puzzles, but forcing myself to go back because everyone here is all over it. I finally quit when I was on a bridge that caught on fire and I couldn't figure out how to get off or stop the fire or whatever. I just stopped caring, and sold it the next day.

Resident Evil 4: I stopped playing the GC version when I had Ashley pulling switches while I covered her. It wasn't difficult, just repetitive and boring. I did buy the Wii version, but only got an hour into it before I quit. Maybe I'll go back in early '08.

So I'd say I get aggravated at repetitive tasks, and just can't be assed to continue doing them.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Twilight Princess: I did not enjoy this game at all. I kept quitting out of boredom or frustration at silly puzzles, but forcing myself to go back because everyone here is all over it. I finally quit when I was on a bridge that caught on fire and I couldn't figure out how to get off or stop the fire or whatever. I just stopped caring, and sold it the next day.

If my roommate hadn't done the ice block puzzle, I would have quit right then and there. I hate that shit.

UnbreakableVow on