As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    That's actually very similar to what I have now and I didn't think about the shipping. Hrm.. I'll have to think about it.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I do not, but that one @Mugsley linked seems fine. I have no need for a bunch of excess stuff so.. whoo! Thanks!

I just use an ikea table top and legs, but if you can't actually go to the store shipping from ikea isn't usually worth it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So... still looking for a replacement for my 6870. I was interested in the 760, on account of being significantly more broke-ass than just a month or two ago, and then I saw this.

Doesn't seem like it's worth the trade up, honestly. Hell, the 6870 is just straight up better in some ways. I didn't foresee this at all.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    When it comes to actual games and not synthetic benchmarks the 760 would be a massive step from a 6870.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/780?vs=854

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The 7950 is also reasonably priced for its performance.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Thank you for that. Seems I've got my next purchase decided on. :)

EDIT: Shit, seems I'm torn between the 7950 and the 760 now.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I would go 760, seems like such a value. I'm not sure the 7950 is $50 better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I would go 760, seems like such a value. I'm not sure the 7950 is $50 better.

Well... about that...

Also.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'd still get the 760 because the 7950 is not $50 better, and you do not want a reference AMD cooler card.

Cormac on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'd still get the 760 because the 7950 is not $50 better, and you do not want a reference AMD cooler card.

Have there been problems with the reference coolers I'm not aware of?

• Options
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

Have there been problems with the reference coolers I'm not aware of?

None that I know of but they're going to be a lot louder than a non-reference design. I figure that for the same price or just a little bit more money a card from MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, and maybe XFX would be money well spent for a cooler running quieter card.

• Options
    An issue I've had with my 6870 (besides it being balls old now) is that it's pretty terrible at managing its own internal clock speed during games. It's supposed to only give as much power 'as needed' but half the time it doesn't use nearly as much power as the game is asking and instead runs at like 30% capacity. I've basically had to set it up so that it just goes full bore during a game, regardless of what it is.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I don't know if I would buy a Power Color GPU. No firsthand or even secondhand negative experience I just feel more comfortable with the bigger names (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, plus EVGA for Nvidia cards and Sapphire for AMD).

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So, I can save like 50 bucks a month, and am on no timeline for a new vid card. With this in mind, how much should I save for what card? I want one that will last me a long time (relative), and not opposed to prices, just curious what the thoughts are. I want Nvidia I'm pretty sure, and a 700 series.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't know if I would buy a Power Color GPU. No firsthand or even secondhand negative experience I just feel more comfortable with the bigger names (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, plus EVGA for Nvidia cards and Sapphire for AMD).

I got a Power Color card that had the wrong BIOS. Twice (returned the card without realizing the exact error, replacement had the same problem). Same card from the same batch probably, and they did sort the problem out and it may have been a rare thing, but I had already switched brands by then. So personally I avoid them just in case.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you have no time limit and your current card will suffice for now, wait for a GTX 890.

Realtalk though, a 770 would be tits awesome, and will be good for a few years.

• Options
    If you have no time limit and your current card will suffice for now, wait for a GTX 890.

Realtalk though, a 770 would be tits awesome, and will be good for a few years.

When is the 890 out? That would be like double my card as I have a 400 something. :)

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Not for at least a year, probably closer to a year and a half.

And it'd be a monumental upgrade from a 460...

A 770 would be a great card for you to save up for though, they're really powerful, even a card-killer like Metro Last Light should be fast and smooth on a 1080p monitor.

• Options
    Not for at least a year, probably closer to a year and a half.

And it'd be a monumental upgrade from a 460...

A 770 would be a great card for you to save up for though, they're really powerful, even a card-killer like Metro Last Light should be fast and smooth on a 1080p monitor.

Not sure I want to wait a year and half, so I think I will aim at 770.

• Options
    Is a 780 not worth the cost over a 770 or something?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I think the 780 is probably at the same place relative to the 770 that the 680 was to the 670...that is, such a marginal advantage in real world performance that the extra cost can't be justified.

• Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    No, the 780 is not worth the cost unless you want to play games on an 4k resolution or something.
    The 760 will be the much better choice if you plan to play on 1080p.

• Options
    I'll be running things at 1440p. Perhaps I should get dual 760 or..? I mean I probably won't be running something like Crysis 10 but at the same point goddamn I want shit to run at 60 FPS.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    If you don't mind SLI 2x760 is way better than one 770 and not a whole lot more expensive.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Alright, good to keep in mind, thanks!

• Options
    But... but... micro-stutter!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    thats part of not minding SLI.

Personally, having run SLI and CFX setups for the past year and a half or so i don't notice microstutter so long as the cards involved are fast enough to get very high framerates on the display/settings you're using. Other people have more issues with it.

I still think a single 760 is a better call than a single 770 if you're actually on a budget.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Micro-stutter? :?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Micro-stutter? :?

Each frame isn't rendered in the exact same amount of time, so say if your getting 60 FPS, each frame usually isn't being rendered in 1/60th of a second, it can vary. With SLI/CFX the variance in frame rendering is increased, so you may get things where you have 60-100 fps, but one frame taking 0.1-0.5 of a second to render and then the rest come really quick after that.

Some people don't notice it, others do and it really bothers them.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's one of those "can't unsee" things. I didn't really notice until a friend pointed it out to me once. Now it's all I see. Said friend has a really good rig, but it's SLI and damnit if that shit doesn't drive me crazy.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Well if you really want sli/cfx setup but can't stand micro-stutter, then you can always go for 3 gpus.

Some quirk of the way alternate frame rendering works on sli/cfx, makes triple gpu have the same frame variance as a single gpu.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    This conversation is making it difficult for me not to snag a 760 as an upgrade from my current 560 Ti.

I am feebly trying to convince myself that I won't see much difference at 1080p, since there's no way I'll be upgrading my monitor past that any time this decade.

• Options
    Now I'm torn. If I go with one GPU, I'd get no microstutter but risk dropping below 60 FPS on some games in the not too distance future. If I go with two, the FPS won't dip below 60 (better fucking not) but I might get annoyed by microstutter. If I get THREE, it solves issues one and two but holy hell the cost and I can't imagine the gains are above 10% over 2 cards.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    So my old PC that I gave my dad a couple of years ago has been acting up. At first I thought it was a HD issue so I replaced it, then just reformatted to a SSD which seemed to fix it for a while. Now the CPU spikes usage to very high even close to 100% while idle. It's an Intel e8500 w on an Asus P5Q Pro I built probably close to 5 years ago. All the temps look good not really sure what else to do :(

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I take it with the HDD change came a fresh install? Then again, even if you did that your dad might've installed something rather unfortunate. I can't say without knowing his level of skill with a computer, however.

Magus` on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Format it again, regardless. :P If rebooting doesn't fix it, formatting will!

What's the issue other than it using the CPU? Slow? Freeze? Virus filled?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    He said it wasn't starting up, but he hasn't tried to use it for weeks. My parents typically encounter a problem and leave it until I come by. The reliability history just showed that a Windows update may have been corrupted, so I formatted and it seems good, still spikes when I look on Performance tab of task manager. Not sure how accurate this is though. For good measure I also took apart the PC and reseated the heatsink since it looked crooked to me. Any other tests I should run?

• Options
    Now I'm torn. If I go with one GPU, I'd get no microstutter but risk dropping below 60 FPS on some games in the not too distance future. If I go with two, the FPS won't dip below 60 (better fucking not) but I might get annoyed by microstutter. If I get THREE, it solves issues one and two but holy hell the cost and I can't imagine the gains are above 10% over 2 cards.

Just get a 770?

What res are you gaming at?

There's always the Titan...

• Options
    It will be 1440p. Right now it's 1680x1050.

• Options
    What's a good, free anti-virus software? I plugged in the speakers and it sounds like a bunch of commercials are playing over each other.

This discussion has been closed.