As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I think it might depend on the rest of your system and what game you're playing but I would never consider 2 SLI 760s to be "way better" than a single 770. In Metro Last Light, which is currently probably the most graphically demanding game out, you're going to see an additional 10 FPS with an additional nearly 150 watts in power consumption not to mention the cost of $260x2 vs $420. With the rest of these games in their test you'll get on average 15-20 FPS. If these cards could be found on sale for less than $250 or really more like $200 each it would be one thing. Personally I could never justify the extra noise, power consumption, and cost for such pathetic performance increase. And I don't know anything about micro-stutter but if true it sounds annoying.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    kepler gets close to double performance from a second card, depending on the game in question. This was true for 600 series and continues with the 700 series.

There's no possible place where a 770 adds an extra 80-100% increase in performance over a 760

The question of if you need more performance than one 770(or one 760 for that matter) is a totally different one. But SLI scales really really well for anything that actually uses it and anymore most every game that isn't an indie title uses it.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What's a good, free anti-virus software? I plugged in the speakers and it sounds like a bunch of commercials are playing over each other.

Run House Call (change settings to do a full system scan), maybe also a a BitDefender quick scan (scroll down on the right) then throw BitDefender free on there.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    My system in theory will be something like this:

Intel Quad Core at 4Ghz+
    16 GB RAM (maybe 32, RAMdisk, anyone?)
    SSD main drive, SATA storage drive

And actually I can't think of anything else that would tie to the GPU? Stuff like case, speakers and so on wouldn't matter.

Edit: Mind you, I don't give two shits about AA/AF so those would basically be off if the performance gain was substantial. I just want to run most games at 60 FPS at 1440p. I'd be ok if every once in awhile something was so goddamn beastly it would choke a bit more, so yeah.

Magus` on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Anyone that was following along, I ran Windows MRT, Malawarebytes and Kaspersky and nothing came up. I then ran Kaspersky's TDSSKILLER which found some rootkit and all seems well. What a strange thing.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    It will be 1440p. Right now it's 1680x1050.

For 60 fps at ultra settings you're going to want a fair bit of horsepower.
    A 770 would do a good job, or SLI some 760s.

Probably do the dual 760. We'll see what the consensus is when I actually start building the thing. :P

Oh that reminds me. My new case has audio jacks for headphones/microphone on the top. Is that easy to connect? Can it connect to onboard audio?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Yes, there should be header ports on the motherboard for connecting onboard audio to audio jacks on the case.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    From the sounds of it, I think I want to save for a 770. I don't go above 1080 so I think I'm ok. I'm also used to running at lower settings, as long as I don't lag. As I'm coming from a 460, I guess I will get huge improvement too. So at 50 bucks a month, I can get it in just under a year. When are 800's comeing out? I think someone said year and half for one, and if I'm almost at a year maybe I should wait.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you keep waiting for the next thing to come along, you'll never get there in the end.

For 1080p, a 770 will be a fantastic card. For instance, I have a 680, which the 770 is about 10-15% more powerful than, and I play BF3 at Ultra graphics settings with a nice smooth fast framerate.

Let me rephrase that. I am looking at being able to save $50 a month. To get the money for a 770 looked like 10 months. 10 months from now when I have saved the money would it be worth waiting a few months. Or buy at 10 months when I have saved money.

Now if I get a windfall, unlikely, I understand buying now.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    No tax return money or christmas/birthday money coming in in the next 10 months?

It's a long wait, but you'll be happy at the end of it.

With your current Athlon II X4 you'll be CPU bound on most games before a 770 runs out of puff.

I want to buy a house, and am trying to be good. That being said, if the CPU will be my next gate after a 770, than I might get that when I save.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So i am starting to wonder about the best way to next gen proof my rig

i'll try and give you guys some basic specs off the top of my head, i'll go into more detail when i get home later tonight

Mobo: M5A97 Pro
    CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE
    GPU: HD 7850 (i think, i'll double check later)
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 (again i'll have to check later for more detail than that)
    PSU: Novatech 1000 W
    HD : 250 GB Samsung SSD, 1.5 TB western digital green (i think), 500GB Hitachi drive

I currently game at 1920x1080 res but i'm considering getting a better monitor, if it wouldnt result in a performace drop that is

Casual on
    If the 'better monitor' has a higher native resolution, then yes it will require more horsepower to get similar results.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    @Casual I'd probably wait a year, then consider an upgrade to Broadwell and a GTX 8xx series card.

If you're having issues right now with framerates, I'd upgrade the graphics card and nothing else.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Performance right now is actually pretty good, games seem to run just fine on high settings.

My concern here is being future proofed for the larger requirements that ports will have once the new conoles hit the shelves.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Performance right now is actually pretty good, games seem to run just fine on high settings.

My concern here is being future proofed for the larger requirements that ports will have once the new consoles hit the shelves.

No use in "future-proofing" until the new games come out. Your $500 (or whatever) will buy better stuff further on down the line.

steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »

My concern here is being future proofed for the larger requirements that ports will have once the new consoles hit the shelves.

No use in "future-proofing" until the new games come out. Your $500 (or whatever) will buy better stuff further on down the line.

Whelp, I guess that answers that then. Wait and see it is.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Whelp, I guess that answers that then. Wait and see it is.

I'd be surprised if console launch title ports push current PCs all that much more anyway; at least to begin, there shouldn't be a very big jump.

No case? (get a Corsair case)

Also, Ivy Bridge over Haswell? S'cool if you have reasons, but otherwise isn't it a better idea to go for the newer socket?

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

Also, Ivy Bridge over Haswell? S'cool if you have reasons, but otherwise isn't it a better idea to go for the newer socket?

Updated the post as I forgot the case. Thanks.

That's the thing I'm not up on any of the differences in the two. The i5-3570k was kind of the last thing I've read up on, which was a while ago. What's the difference in the two? And would I require a different mobo if I switched to the Haswell?

Haswell is the first architecture on the new 1150 socket. It's still 22nm, Intel will be dropping down to 14(I think)nm scale with the next architecture, on the same socket.

So, no new CPUs on socket 1155, yes further room for upgrades down the track on the new socket 1150.

Also, Haswell is slightly faster and has a couple of other new things happening like better on board graphics (irrelevant in your case, unless you do a lot of ripping movies and such), and on-chip voltage regulation etc. etc.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

Updated the post as I forgot the case. Thanks.

That's the thing I'm not up on any of the differences in the two. The i5-3570k was kind of the last thing I've read up on, which was a while ago. What's the difference in the two? And would I require a different mobo if I switched to the Haswell?

If you're building a new system, there is no real reason to not go Haswell. There's a lot of whining online from Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge owners about how it isn't an amazing upgrade for them, but you can ignore that.

For the motherboard, this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128617) is pretty much exactly the same unless you really needed that second LAN port.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So it's time for me to upgrade (thanks a LOT ARMA 3 Beta...).

Anyway, I'm currently running this:

Win 7
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II X4 490
    2xGB DDR2 400MHz
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB

I'm currently spec'ing something out like this:

Win 7/8 (not sure yet...)
    MSI X79A-GD45 Plus Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Winki 3, OC Genie II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 4 PCIe X1
    Intel Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache
    16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory
    Video Card - (ATI Radeon 7970 3GB ??? totally unsure!!!)

So my question is, would this constitute a significant performance upgrade? I'm thinking the additional memory and video card alone would bump up my performance, but I wasn't entirely sure about the CPU. But we're dealing with over two years (maybe 3 or 4?) since I last put new components in, so I'm just assuming that the obvious answer is "yesy".

Also, if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, I'd gladly hear them.

Thanks!

edit... Hmmmm....

CyberPowerPC (who I used once in the past with very good results) is offering this right now, for 1401.25, shipped to my front door, with the standard warranties, etc:

•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
    •HDD : 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
    •MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    •MOTHERBOARD : * (4-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 5, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI [+11]
    •SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    •VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+262] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

I priced out just the parts listed above (which does not include the case, cooling, and a few freebies, etc. that are part of the deal they are offering) on NewEgg.com and it came to 1318.19 , shipped.

Assuming there is nothing amiss with that configuration, I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Anyone online care to talk me out of it in the next 5 minutes?

Yall on
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Right, I think it's time to upgrade. Given that half the games I own won't even install (it only runs sse1 instruction set rather than 2 or 3 or whatever we're up to now) on this computer let alone run. And I have to underclock to play minecraft or it overheats and shuts down but that may be a thermal paste issue. Performance is at the point where if I scroll a webpage whilst watching a video on Youtube the video and sound stutter.

Built my computer in 2004 from midrange bits, I was of the impression that mid range is best bang for buck as at the upper end a big jump in price only yields a small improvement in performance, I assume this is still true?

Current spec is:
    Athlon XP 2500+ (with I think the stock HSF)
    1GB Ram
    Nvidia FX5700LE 256MB video card
    Abit NF7-S motherboard
    A pair of sata HDDs, 300GB and a 200/400GB (can't remember what the second is)
    Windows XP

Obviously pretty much anything would be a significant upgrade from this, but can I put something together that's fairly good for say £400? I could go a bit higher but would prefer not to if possible. It's going to be a couple of weeks till I have the money available so can wait a bit if something big is on the horizon (though I'm aware you can wait forever for the next big thing)

Probably not worth salvaging any thing from this tower so looking at a whole build (case, PSU, drives, etc) but I don't need mouse, keyboard or monitor. Like this tower I'm happy to go for solid mid range rather than bleeding edge.

And on the overheating front, my idle temps from speedfan for the CPU are 58-62C and once I hit 65C it just turns off (thanks god minecraft autosaves eh?), it's bit dusty in the case but not that bad, could it be the thermal paste is kaput and a reapplication would give me a slight new lease of life? For the few quid a new tube costs it's probably worth a try right? And yes, I'll pick up some canned air at the same time :)

Thanks for any thoughts on what I should get.

ETA: Main use will be web browsing and some gaming, I mostly play Minecraft at the moment, would like to play Portal 2 but it won't install, Left4Dead installs but massive artifacting and about 3fps means it's unplayable. Dwarf Fortress bogs down very quickly. I'd like to play more recent games too but haven't kept up with what's out there. Happy to play the newest games on lower settings provided they're comfortably playable.

And I guess I'll need an OS, I know it's another chunk of money but I'd rather be legit.

Ashaman42 on
    With the way prices are in Europe and the fact that you want a new legit OS, £400 is a very restricted budget.

You can build something that will easily embarrass your current system with that money, but it still isn't going to be very spectacular.

Yall wrote: »

Win 7
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II X4 490
    2xGB DDR2 400MHz
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB

MSI X79A-GD45 Plus Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Winki 3, OC Genie II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 4 PCIe X1

So my question is, would this constitute a significant performance upgrade? I'm thinking the additional memory and video card alone would bump up my performance, but I wasn't entirely sure about the CPU. But we're dealing with over two years (maybe 3 or 4?) since I last put new components in, so I'm just assuming that the obvious answer is "yesy".

Also, if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, I'd gladly hear them.

Thanks!

edit... Hmmmm....

CyberPowerPC (who I used once in the past with very good results) is offering this right now, for 1401.25, shipped to my front door, with the standard warranties, etc:

•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
    •MOTHERBOARD : * (4-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 5, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI [+11]
    •VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+262] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

I priced out just the parts listed above (which does not include the case, cooling, and a few freebies, etc. that are part of the deal they are offering) on NewEgg.com and it came to 1318.19 , shipped.

Assuming there is nothing amiss with that configuration, I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

$1300 and no SSD?

And am I missing something here, X79 is a big waste of money for gaming purposes.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

Win 7
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II X4 490
    2xGB DDR2 400MHz
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB

Thanks!

edit... Hmmmm....

$1300 and no SSD?

And am I missing something here, X79 is a big waste of money for gaming purposes.

Yeah, no SSD. Mobo was a free upgrade due to holiday weekend.

With the SSD I decided I was going to wait until the prices dropped even more regardless of the build. At any rate, based upon some light digging, it seemed like a good enough deal so I grabbed it. Corsair case, win 8 64 bit pro. Some silly lighting and liquid cooling blah blah blah. Ultimately was cheaper than doing the same build myself.

A four way SLI mobo. Jesus christ.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It is completely silly to be getting a 4-way SLI/Crossfire X79 motherboard and not an SSD.

Well he said he got it for 'free' so.. yeah. But yeah, get a SSD if you can manage it.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Basically every x79 board is gonna be badged as 4way since they've got the PCIE lanes to spare. It's not really a cost add the way it is on 1155/1150. it's just the nature of the chipset. UP4 is a pretty low end x79 board

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Well, pants. Remember about two weeks ago I posted about one of my RAM sticks not working anymore? I just got in another pair of sticks and tried to install them. Moved the last stick over one slot and installed the two new ones in the proper #1 and #2 slots. Wouldn't start up.

Took out the old stick. Wouldn't start up.

Put the old stick in slot #1 and took the others out. Works fine.

I wonder if, instead of the RAM stick, it's the socket I messed up? That'd stink since I'd be limited to three sticks at any one time, but if it's true I'll be running with 12GB.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Stick the new sticks in #1 and see if it works. Then other slots. Once it fails you'll know it's the slot for sure.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    For the record, my physical slots go like this:
    [CPU] [D,B] [C,A]

Original configuration: A, B
    1-stick configuration: A
    First test: Old in C, new in A,B. No go.
    Next test: New in A,B. No go.
    Just-did test: Old in A, New in C. Working right now.

It may have messed up both slots on that side, which is even worse as any upgrades will be limited to 2x 8GB. On the plus side, it may also mean I can return this RAM I just bought if the old stick works fine in slot C.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited July 2013
    Experiment complete, old sticks work fine in A,C. Looks like slots B and D are shot. Will see if I can return my new RAMs and get my $70 back.

So what was the moral of this story?
    Screw DDR3 sockets.
    Oh, and make sure you secure your sticks all the way, I guess?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I had my PSU fail yesterday I believe. Ever since I upgraded my video card I've been coming home to my PC being powered off which I figured was the cat stepping on the power switch of the UPS and shutting everything off.

Yesterday I was playing Trine 2 and it just powers off, thought it was a power surge at first since it started back up within 5 seconds. No video, no beeps so I pulled the video card and tried the onboard, same thing, pulled the RAM, still no beeps. I'm pretty sure it's the PSU, I checked some calculators online and my recommended is 650W while my PSU is only 600W so I think it just blew something.

Going to pick up a Corsair TX750v2, local store has two with different product numbers, $11 difference while on clearance sale. From what I can find the only difference is the fan controller.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=036009
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=054102

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
This discussion has been closed.