As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf [Phalla] 2 - Votemurdered has fallen. ObiFett(The Mad King) Victory!

premiumpremium Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Critical Failures
Dwarf Fortress 2: Necromantic Boogaloo

zdwarf_zps81c8c45e.png

Overseer’s Log
3 Felsite - 546

The Elven caravan arrived today, trying to sell us all kinds of useless wooden armor and weapons. Zas was ordered to try and buy their food, booze and lumber instead. Otherwise today has been fairly uneventful.

17 Felsite - 546
Zas has had some success, we’re taking all of the Elves lumber off their hands and a good amount of food and booze in exchange for a few crates of jewelry and other crafts. Ordered the haulers to start moving bins from the stockpile.
Some fisherdwarves went to fish by the old tower and haven’t been seen for a while, which is odd since there are no carp in these parts. We will send out a small patrol to investigate.

23 Felsite - 546
Well, the Elven deal is off. Apparently they were offended that we were including the wooden bins with our trinkets to make it easier for them to handle. These are the same wooden bins that they sold us cloth in just last year. They’re packing up all their goods and leaving in a huff. If these idiots come again next year we’re just going to dump a huge pile of junk all over the trade depot and they can pick it all up by themselves.
The patrol hasn’t found any trace of the fisherdwarves, and now a few hunters and woodcutters have gone missing as well. We’re going to send a few proper militia squads out to see if something has moved into the tower. It’s just a rundown relic of a civilization past, I’m surprised the old thing is still standing.

26 Felsite - 546
The Elves didn’t get far. The squads were lost.
Maybe lost is the wrong word, because I certainly know where they are right this very second.
We ordered every dwarf back inside and sealed the gates. Not all of them made it back in. Those who didn’t joined the Elves, our missing Dwarves, our squads, and a large assortment of random other undead in trying to find a way into the Fortress.

What the heck?

This is a Phalla, Penny Arcade Forums version of the party game Mafia.
This phalla is based on Dwarf Fortress.
Familiarity with the source material is not necessary but may enhance your enjoyment of this phalla.

This sounds interesting! May I please know more?

General rules of Phalla can be found here.

Each day, you must vote for one player to be killed. Votes must be placed in Bold Red. The winner of this vote will be publicly lynched, beaten, or otherwise have their life ended.
Tie votes are bad, as always.

In addition, everyone should try make at least two non-vote posts each day. Failure to vote or contribute will lead to warning and replacement.

Vote close is 0:00 Mountain Time(2:00 Eastern Time). All votes and actions at 23:59 Mountain Time and before will be counted, while any submitted after will not.

Do not directly quote host PMs, or share screenshots of them. Paraphrasing is ok.

Do not anonymously contact anyone.

When you die you may make one ghost post which cannot contain any game related information. After that please do not discuss the game with anyone still alive.

Are there any special mechanics I should know about?

Of course!
Every dwarf has the ability to perform various labors.

At the start of the game any player can perform the following labors:
Mining - Produces Ore and adds it to the stockpile.
Brewing - Produces Drinks and adds it to the stockpile.
Cooking - Produces Food and adds it to the stockpile.
Other labors will become available as the game progresses.

Oh! But what are the resources used for?
Ore - When a certain Ore threshold is reached, one dwarf will have a Strange Mood. More information about this will be revealed once the threshold is reached for the first time.
Drinks - Every dwarf will consume 1 Drink every night. Every night the fortress runs out of Drinks each dwarf will lose 1 point of Sanity.
Food - Every dwarf will consume 1 Food every night. Every night the fortress runs out of Food each dwarf will lose 1 point of Sanity.
Other resources will be revealed as the game progresses.

Current stockpile levels of each resource will be included in the narration.

Sanity? What’s that?
Sanity is essential to keep the fortress running smoothly. A dwarf that runs out of Sanity will begin to Tantrum. A dwarf who is Tantruming will not be able to perform any normal actions until they regain some sanity. The Tantruming dwarf may Accost another dwarf, regaining a single point of sanity but causing the accosted dwarf to lose a point.

That's all very nice, but what if I have a question?

Ask for clarifications in Bold DarkOrange. You may PM me with clarification requests, or post them directly in the thread. If you have questions about your role please send me a PM.

What should I do if I wanted to contact someone privately?

Make sure you invite me to any proboards you might form.
Please add me to all PMs related to this game.
Do not add other players to existing PM conversations.

Anything else I should know?

Special thanks to @Mill for some feedback on the mechanics.

Order of actions:
Labors -> Resource Consumption -> Vote -> Defensive/Misc Actions -> Offensive Actions

Can I get a sample role?
Sure! In fact, have 3!
You are a Brewer. You specialize in producing precious alcohol for the fortress. A Dwarf Fortress cannot expect to last long without a steady supply of booze, every dwarf needs alcohol to get through the working day.

Abilities:
Competent Brewer - You are better at brewing than other dwarves, generating more Drinks when you perform the Brewing labor.

Actions Available:

Mining - Produce 4 Ore and add it to the stockpile
Brewing - Produce 5 Drinks and add it to the stockpile
Cooking - Produce 4 Food and add it to the stockpile

Sanity: You begin the game with 3 sanity.

Victory Condition: Eliminate all threats to the fortress.
You are a Cook. You specialize in preparing various biscuits, stews and roasts for the fortress. Every dwarf needs to eat, and your usual job is to cook things like quarry bush leaves, alpaca milk, and dwarven syrup into something edible to a dwarf.

Abilities:
Competent Cook - You are better at cooking than other dwarves, generating more Food when you perform the Cooking labor.

Actions Available:

Mining - Produce 4 Ore and add it to the stockpile
Brewing - Produce 4 Drinks and add it to the stockpile
Cooking - Produce 5 Food and add it to the stockpile

You are a Miner. You spend your days mining ores, gems and stone for the fortress. What kind of dwarves would you be if you didn’t need those?

Abilities:
Competent Miner - You are better at mining than other dwarves, generating more Ore when you perform the Mining labor.

Actions Available:

Mining - Produce 5 Ore and add it to the stockpile
Brewing - Produce 4 Drinks and add it to the stockpile
Cooking - Produce 4 Food and add it to the stockpile

I'm so down for this, how do I sign up?

Please make a post in Bold Limegreen or something else that I’ll notice indicating your desire to sign up. If you would like to sign up for the reserve list, please indicate it in your post.
When you sign up you may also suggest/vote for a fortress name in Bold Dodgerblue. If you would like to vote for a randomly generated name, just vote ‘random’ or something similar.
When you sign up please make up a name for your character and send it to me via PM. As always, it’s probably a good idea that you don't make it something that could be used to identify you.
Failure to submit a name to me will result in you being assigned a random dwarven name.

This phalla was designed for 45 players, but I can scale it up if we have more interest.

premium on

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Player List:
    1. Phyphor - Day 4
    2. Grunt's Ghosts - Day 1
    3. I needed a name to post. - Day 1
    4. Cythraul - Day 6
    5. Bedlam - Day 5
    6. Auralynx
    7. Iron Weasel - Day 2
    8. Invictus
    9. OminousLozenge - Day 4
    10. kime - Day 2
    11. ObiFett
    12. KetBra - Day 6
    13. blaze_zero - Day 7
    14. Retaba - Day 5
    15. Infidel - Day 7
    16. Buddha73
    17. Zombie Hero - Day 3
    18. SeGaTai - Day 7
    19. Baidol - Day 5
    20. The Ender - Day 7
    21. Void Slayer - Day 5
    22. CesareB
    23. The Anonymous - Day 3
    24. jdarksun - Day 1
    25. SLyM - Day 6
    26. Assuran - Day 6
    27. BradicusMaximus - Day 6
    28. Demurist - Day 5
    29. Flarne - Day 6
    30. PsychoLarry1
    31. Trust - Day 2
    32. Draygo - Day 3
    33. Typhus733SaberOverEasy - Day 4
    34. Nion - Day 7
    35. Teucrian - Day 2
    36. JPants - Day 4
    37. Langly - Day 5
    38. MikeyCTS - Day 4
    39. Twenty Sided - Day 4
    40. Winky - Day 1

Reserves: blahmcblah

Clarifications:
    Does haul corpse have to target a specific corpse? Can it? If so, what happens when two dwarfs target the same corpse?
    Corpses are just numbers as far as this is concerned

Nion wrote: »
    Do the people attending the party get to know the player names or the dwarf names (or both) of the other people attending?
    Both

Auralynx wrote: »
    Just to have asked:
    What happens if we tie the mood vote?
    I flip a coin, which guarantees whoever you don't like will win

JPants wrote: »
    If we have enough drinks to "feed" the living dwarves, but not enough to cover the extra drank by the party dwarves, what happens? Does everyone lose a sanity? Is the party canceled and no extra sanity or knowledge given to those who sign up for the party?
    Partygoers take their extra drink before the regular amount of drinks are taken.
    If there are not enough drinks for the partygoers to get their extra drinks, the party will be declared "lamer than an elf funeral" and nobody will gain the extra sanity. Names of present dwarves will still be given out. Then everyone in the fortress will lose sanity because if there aren't enough drinks for the party there certainly aren't enough drinks to get everyone through the working day.

JPants wrote: »
    Will any party attendees be able to tell if an undead is also attending the party?
    Only names will be revealed

Invictus wrote: »
    Each night the fortress runs out of food or drink, does every dwarf lose a sanity, or just every dwarf who is not both fed and liquored up lose a sanity (and lose two sanity if they are neither)?
    Every dwarf loses the sanity.

What happens when a dwarf accosts a tantruming dwarf?
    The dwarf who is accosting the other tantruming dwarf would regain sanity as normal. The tantruming dwarf who was accosted would have the sanity gain from accosting another dwarf cancelled out by the sanity loss from being accosted. Sanity has a lower limit of 0.

blaze_zero wrote: »
    How do we regain sanity?
    A tantruming dwarf may accost another dwarf, earning them back a single point of sanity but costing the accosted dwarf a point

Are there conversions in this game? I'll extend the question out to thralls, millers, and reliable masons while I'm here.
    CD, CD, CD, CD

Is there a chance that the accosted dwarf will be injured/killed?
    The only injuries would be hurt feelings and damaged sanity

Narrations:
    Opening Narration

Day 1 Results

Day 2 Results
    Day 3 Results
    Day 4 Results
    Day 5 Results
    Day 6 Results
    Day 7 Results

premium on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phyphor withdraws from society...

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Down for ale!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The players don't need the trade, but they are sending a message to the outside world.

PHALLA IS ALIVE.

liEt3nH.png
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    !signup

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Dwarf Bedlam is depressed until he gets an EPIC SOCK!

I'm going to have to change my avatar...

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Just a quick note that I'll be out of town until sometime Sunday evening, so I am very likely not going to start this game before Monday no matter how fast signups move.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    You have discovered a large cleft through the phalla.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Random Fortress Name

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Yup.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

Kime Fortress, because it has to die twice to fall!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh, also:
    Votemurdered

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Preparing Elevation...
    Randomly is the only way to name a Dwarf Fortress!

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hellow

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    !signup

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Ready to cook up some trouble!

Also Smallville

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I have come to befriend you all!
    whatever everyone else wants

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    !Yay another day 1 death!?!
    !Votemurdered

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    If we don't kill you day 1, @Infidel then you will be immortal and kill us all. Its for our protection.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Votemurdered

liEt3nH.png
  • Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Time to grow a beard!
    Bear Mountain Fortress

Buddha73 on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Also, Votemurdered is too good not to do.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Agreed votemurdered

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    sign

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    ]sign

PSN SeGaTai
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Strike the earth
    Votemurdered

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The Ender has come! A large forumer twisted into phalla form. It is crazed for blood and flesh. It's eyes glow lime. It's villager role is unkempt.

Now you will know why you fear the night.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Void Slayer cancels tie vote: path not found

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Votemurdered

With Love and Courage
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I didn't miss the sign-ups!

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    But I'm too tall to be a dwarf

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    But I'm too tall to be a dwarf

I am not :(

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    This is a masterwork signup post. It is encrusted with limegreen colors. It menaces with spikes of bold.

edited July 2013
    Just in case: if the reason why Votemurdered is a good idea for a name isn't clear to you, click here. You don't have to agree, of course, but it'd be a shame to miss out on one of the earliest - and still the best, IMO - Let's Plays of DF. Fair warning: The language gets salty!

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Huh, I thought we named our last fortress after that LP but it didn't have that option. So yeah votemurdered is good.

The Ender wrote: »
    Votemurdered

Steam
    Oops, meant to remove quotes in lazy effort to not bbcode. The no-editing-vote-posts side of me won't let me just edit my signup.

Steam
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    hello

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)