As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

1192021222325»

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Finally played with this a bit. It's better then the first but that's not hard to be. Graphics are much better, animation is weird, the city is cool, the Radnet challenges are completely annoying bullshit of the worst order, writing is terrible. I give it a 6.

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well, any chance of a third Prototype game has been well and truly axed because Radical Entertainment are now effectively dead.

Another developer sacrificed on the altar of profits for failing to live up to the vastly inflated sales expectations that Call of Duty has produced. Gotta say that my feelings towards Activision at this moment are not very nice ones.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Well shit, I kinda wish I didn't buy the most recent DLC as it probably didn't benefit Radical at all

Oh well, I loved both games, I hope the dudes get to form a new studio somewhere and make something

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I can't find another more recent thread on this game, so here we go.

Goddamn, this game is good. Even better than the first.

The highlight for me is the various times that you join with Blackwatch to do a mission. Particularly the one where you're on foot doing a patrol.

The best part is that the developers even anticipated that you might do some funky stuff with that.
    If you go melee mode against the infected you fight, at one point you come up against a Hydra. If you punch it to death, the soldiers say "Is he...boxing with a hydra?"

Later on, you encounter rocket pods and TOWs just lying around. You can pick them up to use without breaking cover. Memorable quote "uhhh, dude? You been working out?" Heller: "I eat a lotta protein"

edited November 2012
    Three months ago I would have agreed with you that the second game was the better of the two. But a couple of months ago I stuck the original in and ended up devoting some time to getting all the achievements in it. Having done that, I realised that the movement is just so much more satisfying in the first game. It's a rougher game overall than the sequel, but I found it so much more fulfilling.

That's not to say that Prototype 2 wasn't great fun, because it was. I'm still very annoyed that there almost certainly won't be a third game. :cry:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    Three months ago I would have agreed with you that the second game was the better of the two. But a couple of months ago I stuck the original in and ended up devoting some time to getting all the achievements in it. Having done that, I realised that the movement is just so much more satisfying in the first game. It's a rougher game overall than the sequel, but I found it so much more fulfilling.

Someone who understands!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I agree with the assessment that the movement is more rewarding in the first game, but satisfying? The whole feel of the movement in P2 gives you much more of a multi-ton creature feel, as it should.

Some particular highlights from tonight's gameplay - Aiming my landing when connecting to Blacknet terminals such that I land directly on the spot and hit Use immediately, so I land with a resounding smash and immediately start nonchalantly typing at the keyboard.

:D

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Having played only a few hours of Prototype 2 I have to say that I prefer the way things are done in the 2nd.

• SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    Yeah, got this from lovefilm last week and it's fantastic, I'm enjoying the gameplay way more than the first.

The whole jocks vs. nerds thing of the dialogue bugs me though, especially in one terminal mission in the red zone where they're randomly planning to
    sterilise poor people

Such a WTF moment.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    I agree with the assessment that the movement is more rewarding in the first game, but satisfying? The whole feel of the movement in P2 gives you much more of a multi-ton creature feel, as it should.

Some particular highlights from tonight's gameplay - Aiming my landing when connecting to Blacknet terminals such that I land directly on the spot and hit Use immediately, so I land with a resounding smash and immediately start nonchalantly typing at the keyboard.

:D

To each their own. For me, replaying the original has definitely convinced me that I prefer Mercer's sheer level of speed and maneuverability over Heller's weight and heft.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on how Heller deals the New Templar Scientists - at least I think that's what they were called. That was definitely one of the best moments in Prototype 2. It's making me grin just thinking about it. :D

MGRSig2.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I think the thing I liked the most about 1 was the large array of spectacular vistas you could end up in. You'd end up miles above the terrain and could go from ground level to high in the sky so easily and quickly.

Heller's great on the ground and close to ground level he's much better than mercer. But most of the stuff you ended up seeing is ground level. It felt constrained. One thing that really annoys me about 2 is that you have to wait for the helicopters to come to you. Mercer could get to them at ridiculous distances. I don't like having to wait around.

I played Mercer so much I look at a picture of new york taken from high above it and I get this incredibly feeling of familiarity.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Running around and jumping was the best part of the first game. Musclemass jumped higher, and was the power I liked most. Throwing things was fun, too. I haven't bought the second. I don't mind heavy, but can he jump around and run fast?

I can't play the first game for long, though. The colours do something to my eyes.

replaying this on a quiet sunday

it will never stop being funny to consume a commander to get into a base, leap thirty metres into the air across the base and land at the hand scanner, and none of the troops raise an eyebrow

"our commander jumping twenty times normal human ability? man, he is such a badass!"

oh, and pushing people into dark corners by running into them, thereby removing them from the vision of their friends so you can stealth consume them

that one is a good oldie too

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    My personal favorite is still turning into the guy you killed a second ago to escape detection.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    violently consuming the commander in plain sight, run around until the alert dies down, come back as recently murdered commander as soliders run around looking for me

Local H Jay on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    replaying this on a quiet sunday

it will never stop being funny to consume a commander to get into a base, leap thirty metres into the air across the base and land at the hand scanner, and none of the troops raise an eyebrow

"our commander jumping twenty times normal human ability? man, he is such a badass!"

Who are you to question orders, soldier?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited July 2013
    I always liked picking up small objects in prototype 2, like a shopping cart, and walking around with it, watching people go "Woah. Okay. That's a bit weird." and standing carefully out of the way of the crazy insane person with the shopping cart.

Then I would carefully put it down and step smartly over to a car and pick it up and watch them double take and freak the hell out and run screaming down the street bumping into other people who turn around to watch the person running past them with their hands out going "What? What is it?" then turning back and seeing the man just standing there in the street holding a car and double taking and then screaming and panicking and...

...and then I would put the car down and jump away. Satisfied.

In Prototype 1 my amusements were significantly less subtle. They did, however, inevitably involve a lot more screaming.

Morninglord on
  • ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I really didn't like the story decisions made in Prototype 2. Alex Mercer was definitely an anti-hero, but for him to go from saving New York from nuclear annihilation and stopping the virus to being the progenitor of an entirely new viral outbreak is a complete 180 that the game does little to try to explain. Also, New York? Again? They may have added two new areas and altered Manhattan but it still feels lazy and unimaginative.

When James Heller's backstory was advertised, I was hopeful. I thought that being a military man who has lost his family and comes into possession of such monstrous powers would make for an interesting character. Nope, he's just another angry black man!

I would've wanted Alex Mercer to go to another city or area and dig deeper into the whole Blacklight conspiracy while fighting a new outbreak, but it wasn't meant to be, I suppose.

Regardless, I did actually enjoy the game itself, and it sucks that the series is dead. I love open world superhero games and I wish I had more to look forward to than inFamous, Batman and the inevitable next Spider-man movie game.

ShatterShock on
    Well there's certainly the money thing that kept the game in very similar looking locales and similar styled gameplay.

steam_sig.png

Well, inFamous Second Son does look pretty ace.

But yeah, I'm bummed we never got to resolve the PARIAH plot or have a playable Dana as the next Runner.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I really didn't like the story decisions made in Prototype 2. Alex Mercer was definitely an anti-hero, but for him to go from saving New York from nuclear annihilation and stopping the virus to being the progenitor of an entirely new viral outbreak is a complete 180 that the game does little to try to explain. Also, New York? Again? They may have added two new areas and altered Manhattan but it still feels lazy and unimaginative.

When James Heller's backstory was advertised, I was hopeful. I thought that being a military man who has lost his family and comes into possession of such monstrous powers would make for an interesting character. Nope, he's just another angry black man!

I would've wanted Alex Mercer to go to another city or area and dig deeper into the whole Blacklight conspiracy while fighting a new outbreak, but it wasn't meant to be, I suppose.

Regardless, I did actually enjoy the game itself, and it sucks that the series is dead. I love open world superhero games and I wish I had more to look forward to than inFamous, Batman and the inevitable next Spider-man movie game.

Saint's Row 4

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    since when is saint's row a superhero game?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    since when is saint's row a superhero game?

Well, it's always been a pretty good supervillain game, but the latest one gives you superpowers and aliens to punch to complete the feel.

Also The Boss is president.

edited July 2013
    Since Saint's Row 4

http://youtu.be/1d4l3llkQH4

It even seems to have the same flying/glide animation, though I guess that's just a normal position

It's no Prototype 3, but it looks to provide the same chaotic over the top open city action I crave

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Saints Row IV is going to be a helluva ride.

I'm playing infamous 2 right now and it's doing a reasonably good job of getting rid of the problems I had with vertical movement in the previous game, but it's still not quite up to what I'd like to be. I've seen infamous second son gameplay that makes me feel pretty reassured about that. Being able to dash straight up a wall is pretty neat.

Infamous 2 doesn't quite get there with movement, but it's real close with the vertical ice jump, the horizontal fire leap, and the electric grapple chain thing.

steam_sig.png

the grapple chain comes far too late in the game for my liking. it's a cool power but it totally redefines movement around the city.

It would also be good if it was a bit more fluid to use, able to be comfortably used in mid air like a spiderman swing. As it is, it's a cool power but having to stop and carefully aim it every time breaks the flow.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the teleport move looks like a lot of fun in the new infamous, very nightcrawler. sad we probably won't get another prototype game, I really like the "superhero open world" genre and there aren't a lot of those.

edited July 2013
    the grapple chain comes far too late in the game for my liking. it's a cool power but it totally redefines movement around the city.

It would also be good if it was a bit more fluid to use, able to be comfortably used in mid air like a spiderman swing. As it is, it's a cool power but having to stop and carefully aim it every time breaks the flow.

I just aim it while floating. It's not easy but getting good at it is pretty rewarding. This really should have been earlier in the game.

The main thing about second son that interests me is the ease of movement he seems to have ground or air. He zips around like its no thang. It's still not on the same scale as prototype 1, but then again, sadly, I think that was something we wont see again anytime soon. I'll be happy with fluidity.

Morninglord on
    Saints Row IV looks to be at the Prototype/Crackdown level. But I know not everyone digs Saints Row's style.

edited July 2013
    I have no idea. It's one of those games I occasionally randomly think I should have a go of and then completely forget when the next game specifically targetted to my interests comes along.

Morninglord on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The elbowdrop-equivalent in Saints Row IV looks awkward to me, but the sprinting looks pretty good.