As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Boardgame Night(s) in Melbourne - It's Up to Each of You!

• RapacityRapacity Registered User regular
    Hey, so I'm heading to Pax Aus and I'm looking to jump in on board games night if people are still up for it. I can't provide a location but I got a decent amount of board games I could bring (Munchkin, Star Fluxx, Pandemic, Say Anything, Smash Up). Even if we only get a small group of 6-8 adults I would still be up for it.

So even if there aren't a lot up for it, why not just us get together and find a small place we can game together and have a few drinks?

Interested in some board games the night before Pax Aus for 2014? Check the link below

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184666/traditional-pre-pax-boardgames-night-2014
  • SeblySebly Registered User new member
    I'd love to come. However travelling interstate with carry on only so I can't really bring any games :(

I'm staying at the Atlantis Hotel in the CBD.

I was sorta the same sebly but i am bringing luggage, down there for a bit visiting friends and relatives as well and since I'm only bringing the essentials I got plenty of room for boardgames =P.

So my question now is, how are we gonna go about organizing groups? Contacting each other via mobile? skype? fb?
    Also what about locations? Has anyone got a location down yet?

Interested in some board games the night before Pax Aus for 2014? Check the link below

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184666/traditional-pre-pax-boardgames-night-2014
    I was sorta the same sebly but i am bringing luggage, down there for a bit visiting friends and relatives as well and since I'm only bringing the essentials I got plenty of room for boardgames =P.

So my question now is, how are we gonna go about organizing groups? Contacting each other via mobile? skype? fb?
    Also what about locations? Has anyone got a location down yet?

• TruhlsrohkTruhlsrohk Registered User new member
    Can someone create a list of Venues that will be Playing / offing games on the Thursday Night?
    It would be a good reference point. Probably to hard to also mention the games on offer?

You could always reply to this and add the venue and times:-)

• RandomNinjaRandomNinja Registered User new member
    Given there's such a variety of hotels that people are staying at, perhaps a local games store is a better venue? Within Melbourne CBD, there's Games Laboratory and Good Games Melbourne. Both stores are generally open late on Thursday evenings and have plenty of table space! If someone gave them a heads up, I'm sure they wouldn't mind? :)

• ehronlimeehronlime Southbank, Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hi guys, I'm local to Melbourne and have been board gaming here for a while. Here are some non-hotel (or hotel in the sense of a pub) board gaming options:

Good Games
    Address: 365 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000
    Phone:(03) 9670 0102
    Website: http://www.goodgames.com.au/stores/vic/melbourne.html
    Hours:
    Sunday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
    Monday 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
    Tuesday 10:00 am - 12:00 am
    Wednesday 10:00 am - 12:00 am
    Thursday 10:00 am - 12:00 am
    Friday 10:00 am - 12:00 am
    Saturday 10:00 am - 12:00 am

Generally decent store, plenty of tables and local gaming groups. Mainly focused on Magic and other TCGs, but they have store copies of board games and some wargaming terrain (last I checked). One downside is that it is upstairs from an Asian grocery store, so you might miss it if you're unfamiliar with the place. A big plus side (for me anyways), is that my favourite comic book shop in the CBD is right across the road. So if you're jonesin' for your weekly comic fix and want to play some games, it's a good place to be. Once again, due to the paucity of cheap shop space in the CBD, the comic shop is on Level 1 of an office building, but it's totally worth it. The staff there are really knowledgeable and friendly and support lots of local events and comics.

Psst:
    All Star Comics
    Address: Level 1/410 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000
    Phone:(03) 9642 0071
    Website: http://allstarcomics.com.au/, http://ascmelbourne.blogspot.com.au/
    Hours:
    Sunday 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Monday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
    Tuesday 12:00-6:00 pm
    Wednesday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
    Thursday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
    Friday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
    Saturday 11:00 am - 5:00 pm

Games Laboratory
    Address: 279 La Trobe St, Melbourne Victoria 3000
    Phone: 0422 336 483
    Hours:
    Monday 10am - 8pm
    Tuesday - Friday 10am - 10pm
    Sat 10am - 9pm
    Sun 10am - 5pm

Larger venue than Good Games, also staffed by very nice and helpful guys. They run Magic, Netrunner and free boardgaming nights too. I'm not sure whether they have store copies of games, but they do sell some board games and there are a lot of tables and plenty of free space. Big plus is that it's very close to one of the major train stations in the city (Melbourne Central) and the 57 tram to the PAX site runs nearby as well.

There is also Dungeon of Magic in Royal Arcade in the city, but it's not a very big space, which might not suit this discussion.

If game shops are not your thing, perhaps consider popping by one of the regular gaming groups? I know Eurogames at the Royal Standard Hotel, which I attend, has a regular game night planned for the Wednesday before PAX. It's run at a hotel (pub) near the city, close to Vic Market. You can check out the Meetup group calendar here: http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-games#calendar It's a really nice group of people, very diverse and friendly. However, we've come close to crowding out the pub with just a couple of times, so I'm not sure how it can handle an influx of gamers. If you're staying nearby though, it's worth checking out. The pub also has a good rotation of tasty local beers (more than just your regular VB/Carlton swill) and some decent imports.

If you're here for more than just PAX weekend, Cafe games has an event scheduled on the Saturday before PAX at the Celtic Club. This group is much larger and focuses on more casual games (so no marathon games of TI3 or Through the Ages here). Personally I've never been to a Cafe games event since my interests tend more toward Medium Strategy games, but by all accounts it's a fun group. I'm sure I'm missing out on other game events, but you can also check out http://www.melbournegamers.com/ which is a forum for organizing game groups in Melbourne and also the Melbourne forum at boardgamegeek: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/38/boardgamegeek/vic-melbourne

Almost there. Finally, I personally have a small collection of board games (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ehron) and would be delighted to share if an event gets organised. I could also help with booking a location/organizing if you need someone sort of on the ground (if there's interest).

My boardgames: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ehron
    My blog & podcast about games and comics: http://theactionpointspodcast.com
    My hair: Lustrous and full bodied
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Community driven events are part of what makes PAX so great. Clearly there is interest! All it really takes is someone to call (or 'warn', depending on your point of view) the expected venue and then post an announcement. Someone (local) pick a place, call them up and ask if they are willing to host us. The pre-PAX gaming night at Prime has grown exponentially and I think was well over 100 people in 2012. It remains to be seen how many will attend in Melbourne. Gamers (especially video gamers) tend to be shy introverts that are easily intimidated by public spaces and unfamiliar events, so even if we WANT to go, we may chicken out.

I think most people are staying in/around the CBD, so a venue in that area would make the most sense.

I think it's safe to assume that there will be at least a dozen people, possibly several dozen. We should plan on starting around 4PM and go as long as the place will let us stay. Again, using Prime as an example, some hardcore people will be playing until after midnight if it's allowed!

Once the location is set, people can bring games. Many of us are travelling (myself included) and won't have room to pack anything large. Don't expect the host to provide everything for us. In fact, I would expect the place to provide tables and a room, and that's it. It's a community event and WE make it happen. For this to be successful after it is set up, it is going to require that the community step up and bring some games as well.

Even though I'm coming all the way from the US, I'll volunteer to bring a copy of The Resistance and a very worn copy of The Great Dalmuti. Both are small and can be packed in a checked bag. Let's make this happen!!!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Ax0rAx0r Registered User regular
    So my friends and I are still bringing a car full of board games. As we're driving from Sydney, we won't be getting there before 6pm (and probably later), but still want to hook up with some fine folks for gaming. Will have plenty of games to share.
    We're staying at Docklands Private Collection apartments. If nothing else is going we could probably have some people join us in the apartment for the evening, but a bigger space (like Good Games) would be ideal.
    In fact, if Good Games aren't already aware of PAX and having a stall at the show with games to sell, they're doin' it wrong.

• frigginbrowniefrigginbrownie Registered User new member
    Hey all. I'm attending PAX and like my board games. I live in Docklands and my building has a decent sized library which can be booked out for private functions. Not sure how many it holds (I'd say about 25-30) but it has a big centre table that could fit 3-4 games side by side, along with some smaller tables/couches. Would this suit anyone? Happy to take some photos next time I head downstairs.

• apollo323apollo323 Registered User regular
    I could bring a copy of a few Z-man games (Bell Bottom Bad Asses, Killer Pygmies etc). If I'm flying down (from BNE) on Thursday, then I'll be sure to look it up :)

Hey Ehronlime, Thank you very much for all that info its appreciated.

So there are a fair few people posting the past week so I'm trying to think how to go about organizing it. I might give Games Lab or Good Game a call and see what kind of availability they have and if they can make room for a group of say 20 people for now? Any objections or does anyone else have any other ideas? I'll see what we can do with the spaces we currently have.

Sounds good, Rapacity, it will be interesting to see how many people we can get there.
    My friends and I are 4, between the people posting here and their friends, I'd expect at least 20.
    Also, frigginbrownie's suggestion also sounds good.
    If we get a couple places organised, even a little bit, the powers that be can post up notices about them on the official facebook page and twitter.

It's coming!

• KrorKror Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm really into a Pre-PAX board game party, for sure. I'm a Melbournian, and my household (all current or ex uni students), totals at 5 attendees, with probably about 5-10 or so close friends that are also going. I'm pretty sure that I could wrangle up most of those people (if not all of them) to come along, but I don't have the time myself to set it up (Work and similar level commitments are keeping me completely busy until the 10th at the very earliest, which I'm thinking is going to be too late to organise anything).

But me and my huge group of people would definitely be interested in doing something, and I will be talking to them in the next few days to see if there's anyone who has time to help with the organising. I'll refer anyone to this thread, of course... but I don't think any of them are members of the forums yet. So if anyone has something going, feel free to drop me a PM, or post here... and I'll refer anyone with time to them through either email or (hopefully) forcing them to join the forums.

Hey guys i just got off the phone with Games Laboratory and they are interested in hosting. They have a few games they can rent out but its mostly BYO / Buy. Getting a list and capacity details emailed to me.

I let them know we are looking at about 20 people at the moment but what we need to do now is get the official numbers down and get a proper number that we can give Games Lab. Also what I would like to do is get a list of what board games people are bringing or looking to bring so we have a general idea of what we have.

Hey Kror that's awesome as well if you can get a decent group going. Have you got any Board games you can bring along as well? If you can get a definite number for the Thursday that would be great. Also need to organize a start time as well. I was thinking 4-6 hrs would be a good number, depending on other people and work commitments as well. Since I'm coming down from the Gold Coast I'm not working so the Thursday arvo is wide open for me.

Good work, Rapacity!

So, my groups is 4 people.
    Games that we can bring:

Cosmic Encounter
    Betrayal at House on the Hill
    Sentinels of the Multiverse + all expansions
    Race for the Galaxy + Gathering Storm expanison
    Smallworld + all expansions
    Smallworld Underground
    Arkham Horror + some expansions
    Twilight Struggle
    Space Alert
    Chrononauts
    Zombie Dice
    7 Wonders
    Citadels
    Descent 2e (also 1e, though the game is worse and the box is much bigger)
    Mansions of Madness + expansions
    Dominion
    Game of Thrones
    Galaxy Trucker
    Ticket to Ride
    Cthulhu Gloom
    Pandemic
    Netrunner
    Star Fluxx
    Dixit

There's probably some others that I've forgotten.
    Some of those we will definitely bring, the bigger box stuff and very long games will probably stay at home unless some people are really keen to play them - so if you see something here you really want to try, let me know and I'll make sure to pack it.

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    with my luggage capacity as limited as it is i am only bringing zombie dice.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • SeblySebly Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    Put me down as coming. I get in to Melbourne on Thursday and need something to do :)

Sebly on
  • urbaerurbaer Registered User new member
    On the Sunday of PAX, Northern Suburbs Euro Gamers will be at Bar Nancy from 3-11pm (for those not attending that day or who want to kick on).

It's a smaller venue than the Celtic.

Bar Nancy is located at 61 High Street in Northcote (directly adjacent the #86 tram stop on the corner of Westgarth Street). It is also within easy walking distance of Merri station (South Morang/Epping line), Westgarth station (Hurstbridge line) and the #250/#251 bus route.

Details will be posted on http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-games/ soon(ish).

• urbaerurbaer Registered User new member
    On the Sunday of PAX, Northern Suburbs Euro Gamers will be at Bar Nancy from 3-11pm (for those not attending that day or who want to kick on).

It's a smaller venue than the Celtic.

Bar Nancy is located at 61 High Street in Northcote (directly adjacent the #86 tram stop on the corner of Westgarth Street). It is also within easy walking distance of Merri station (South Morang/Epping line), Westgarth station (Hurstbridge line) and the #250/#251 bus route.

Details will be posted on http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-games/ soon(ish).

• troubleshootertroubleshooter Registered User regular
    Glad to see this thread is heating up.
    I'm a Melbourne local and keen to help organise board gaming outside of the con. I have a vehicle I'll likely be bringing to PAX each day and I'll be bringing a selection from below:

Eclipse
    Agricola
    Puerto Rico
    Sabotuer
    The Resistance
    Dixit
    Dominion
    Cards Against Humanity
    Catan
    Carcasonne
    Tsuro
    Space Alert
    Cash n Guns.

Very keen to get a 4-6 player Eclipse game going at PAX or outside.

Urbaer, I live in Preston, so I'll likely be down to crash the Euro gamers party, I've been meaning to join that group for some time.

Ax0r, I'm keen for (but have yet to play) Betrayal at House on the Hill, 7 Wonders & Twilight Struggle. And could be convinced to play Arkham Horror, Small World and Ticket to Ride.

Also, will this forum be the best place to keep on the go communications going during PAX?

Hey everyone i just got a message back from the guys at Games Laboratory.

"We've got seating for 140 players, and are usually at about 30% capacity on Thursday - though on the pre-PAX Thursday we could be a little busier.

As for a list of games, we've got;

Pandemic
    Dominant Species
    Settlers
    Carcassonne
    A Game of Thrones LCG
    Agricola
    Viewpoint
    Munchkin
    Lords of Waterdeep
    Citadels
    Dungeon
    Guillotine
    Fluxx
    Qoridor
    Pictionary
    The Black Pirate
    and some more card games

Cheers!"

So depending on how many people are keen we have space for up to about 50 people or so which would be amazing for the very first pre pax boardgame night. I want to thank ehronlime for the info and games lab for jumping on board and giving us the space to actually do this.

Ax0r, Troubleshooter and Kror can you send me a PM once you have a definite number and a list of games again so i can secure numbers and games for the night please. Anyone else interested please send me a PM so i have a way of keeping track without scrolling through the forums please. Just number of people you have and what games is all. Once we get some numbers down what i might do is get contact details from everyone and what time everyone is available from so we can really kick this into next gear. I think best way will be to have those really keen communicate via SMS and if we really do want to kick it up a notch Yug has offered to post a message via the pax aus twitter feed too. We have a lot of options open but over the next week we really need to get a lot of the details sorted so its not a last minute rush, Games Lab are really doing us a big favor so if we can give them as much notice as possible then we will be good to go on thursday.

• ehronlimeehronlime Southbank, Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for jumping on that Rapacity. Been kinda busy with some reports due before the end of the financial year :p I work in the city, so I'll swing by down to Games Lab after work (probably reach there 6ish). I'll round up some friends and get back to you with numbers as soon as I can. In terms of games, I have my collection listed up on BGG (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ehron) if anyone has any specific games they'd like to try, otherwise I'll just bring a selection of my favourites.

My boardgames: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ehron
    My blog & podcast about games and comics: http://theactionpointspodcast.com
    My hair: Lustrous and full bodied
    edited June 2013
    sounds good, Looks like 4pm-6pm seems to be the time when everyone is showing up at the moment. Looks like we have about 20-30 people set in (give or take the few maybe). Just remember to drop me a PM so i can keep track of numbers that way.

*Update 26/06/13* I just ran some preliminary numbers we have 21 Confirmed and 10 Maybes with a few more people yet to post numbers of groups so right now we are probably looking at solid 30 and 15-20 maybes counting those people once they pass me numbers.

Rapacity on

Updated Rapacity with a list of what I'll be bringing. Anyone who wants something in particular, let me know.

As for things I'd like to try:
    Libertalia, String Railway, Cyclades, Ghost Stories, Castles of Burgundy, Agricola (never bought because it seems so dry - show me why it was #1!).
    And anything in the top 20 or so on BGG

Obviously can't play these all on the Thursday evening, but that's what tabletop freeplay is for, right?

• troubleshootertroubleshooter Registered User regular
    Ax0r, I'd be happy to teach you Agricola at TT freeplay (hope you enjoy subsistence farming in 17th century Europe), I've played Libertalia once and liked it, so I'm down for that. And heard good things about Cyclades, keen for that as well.

We have to get in some games of The Resistance... Saboteur as well.

Is there a list of what will be available at TT Freeplay, or is that a bit ridiculous?

Hey all,

@Ax0r pretty much lol

I've asked Kror to give me a hand he's gonna set up a Facebook group to drum up some more interest as well. Any more details I'll pass it on as it arises but as of right now we are good for Thursday. I will be there from 4pm (I will rock up a bit earlier just to make sure everything is good). I might ask Yug to throw out a post on twitter via Pax Aus feed.

• apollo323apollo323 Registered User regular
    I'm not getting into Melbourne until like 10pm now :(

Hopefully there will be more opportunities throughout the three days :)

edited July 2013
    @apollo323 There will be a designated area at Pax Aus where you will be able to sit down and play some boardgames with other people attending pax and some other events on Sat night offhand too (I don't know what's going on with those though).

Also Food and drink are fine so long as people don't make a mess, no alcohol though please. This is what Games Lab have messaged me.

Rapacity on

• BlargosaurusBlargosaurus Registered User regular
    I'll be getting into Melbourne from NZ on Wednesday morning and will just be bringing some Munchkin and CAH. My hotel is in Docklands, so I'll be able to walk down to the Lab after I do a bit of exploring the city. I'm definitely in to try some new games.

edited July 2013
    Hey guys and gals,

Posting an update here on what is happening.

So we have 30 more confirm spots remaining for the pre-pax boardgames night. Games Lab are hosting 2 events that night but have kindly given us room for our event too. Food and Drink are allowed as long as you don't make a mess and no alcohol (requested by the games lab staff).

We currently have 29 confirmed so we have room for another 30 confirms. Please make sure if you are confirming that you send me a PM through the forums for now.

Also, kror is being a great help and has set up a facebook group for us. https://www.facebook.com/groups/180555802122094/

Lastly out of those who have confirmed is anyone intending on playing any large war games so we know if we need a larger table.

As of now most people have either stated 4pm or 6pm as the time they are available so we'll start at 4pm and go from there.

Rapacity on

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'll be around for this, really glad something is going on :^:
    Unfortunately, coming in from the UK I probably won't be able to bring any big games, but will have Zombie, Cthulhu & Dino Dice + some Munchkin & Flux.

• trif2012trif2012 Registered User new member
    I'll be in Melbourne on Thursday afternoon so I've signed up for the PrePax game night. I'll just be bringing some small card games - Cards Against Humanity, The Aristocrats, Pax Porfiriana and Palastgefluster (and maybe some others.)

• Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Man I should have joined this forum about 3 months ago.... Count me in, I got plenty of the above already mentioned games, plus a bunch of games that generally don't get transported like Risk, Diplomacy, Ikusa, Super Dungeon Explore, Ticket to Ride, Dominion + all but 2 expansions...

edited July 2013
    Hey everyone,

So we are a little over a week away now from Pax and the Pre Pax Boardgames night. Everything is all set we are good to go. If anyone is intending on doing a larger board game that requires a bigger table please let me know ASAP as I may not be able to guarantee you space if you leave it till last minute.

*Edit: The reason for this is so Games Laboratory can rearrange the space so that we can fit in comfortably. Depending on how many larger tables we need they will reconfigure the space to suit our needs. This is why i have asked for notice and will not be able to guarantee a larger table if no one requests it. I have asked for 1 just in case but do not rely upon it.*

Apart from that, we have 50 confirmed so far with a few more I'm waiting on responses for which is a decent turn out so far.

Rapacity on

• Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have games like Risk/Diplomacy/Super Dungeon Explore which are a little real estate hungry, but not sure if anyone will be wanting to play them...

Yeah, the question of how large a game needs to be to qualify for a "large table" is a good one. Many games can be compact but are a better experience if they're spread out.

Just one week to go! Make sure to have a look at my list of games above, and let me know if there's something specific you'd like to try.

In general I think we are talking about large epic games like Twilight Imperium that has a lot going on and needs a lot of space. I need to get a hold of them anyways to finalize some more numbers and get details on layout sorted for the night.

• KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, being 10,000k away from my boardgames means I'll be bringing none along. However, I'll bring a warm body or two along. Pre PAX gaming at East has been awesome. Hmm.... Will try to head along to your even there Rapacity, you seem pretty decently organized. Not sure if my mate has already sorted plans, but I imagine we'll be there!

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • WeeMadAndoWeeMadAndo Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Coincidentally, my small board game group usually meets at Games Lab on alternate Thursdays and had been organising an expanded event to cover our visiting friends for the 18th too. So we'll be there as well.

*edit* Unless of course, you have 50 people confirmed already on top of their usual MtG crowd that night. Yeah...

WeeMadAndo on
This discussion has been closed.