As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Noah's Art Camp] AC Group of supreme organization.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    @iruka unfortunately not. I have no mirrors in my house that I could set up to see myself in, so I tried to hold a hand mirror in my one hand and paint with the other - it didn't work out so I gave in and just did portrait studies and imagination portraits.

Abandoned the gouache, watercolour is at least portable. I can't manage the medium to save my life, so I'm just going to clumsily head out and try to learn a little every day. For what it's worth, a tricky medium really makes you appreciate what you have in digital, and reminds you to slow down and be deliberate.

• KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    How has this class been for you guys so far, are you getting a lot out of it? I'm curious to know what the videos are like.

• skyturtleskyturtle Registered User regular
    He did the first critique thing today on livestream. I missed it because I don't check facebook all the time. He posted a link to the video on youtube I can message it to you guys if you want if it falls off the facebook front page.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I was there and asked a couple silly questions! He showed someones master study and it was incredible.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    skyturtle wrote: »
    He did the first critique thing today on livestream. I missed it because I don't check facebook all the time. He posted a link to the video on youtube I can message it to you guys if you want if it falls off the facebook front page.
    oui plox

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    We just got an email with a link to all the videos nicely listed on an HTML page (No posting that link either, since theres no other security on it), The critique video is included.

So I just didn't get around to any plein air. Adding that to the list of things for after camp is over. -_-

Totally starting on some photo studies today though!

I never got around uploading any plein air stuff:

pleinairwatercolour1.jpg

pleinairwatercolour2.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

To be fair, these are basically still life studies, since I couldn't manage doing any environments in the medium - bummer.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Like Frank, I also didn't do a single plein air. I sux.

But here are some self portraits I did today, before moving on to this week's assignment. Slowly, very slowly, honing in on getting likenesses, but I won't know for sure until I start doing faces that aren't mine.

selfies2.jpg

Fugitive on
    Photoref stuff

photoref1.jpg
    photoref2.jpg

Fug. yes.

Original study
    photoref3.jpg

Dishonored/HL2-inspired imagined thing
    photoref3-1.jpg

I started off having a pretty solid idea where I wanted to go with it, but then I had to step out for a couple of hours and when I came back, I had no idea where I was or what I was doing.

Critique going on right now, if any of you are around

Fug, you kicked some ass this week! Really awesome work.

I did a few quick photo studies:
    week6_photostudy1.png

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Frank, try to "think less" and "observe more" in regards to the colors. As an example - the soldier's uniform isn't green like you've painted (though green is often what we go to when we think "soldier"). It's practically the exact same set of colors as the ground he's on, as it should be for proper camouflage. There's also no purple at all in the mountain, though in other photographs of mountains in the distance, it can be common to see them as blueish or purple.

Similarly, with the cityscape, the lights reflected in the water are a bright kind of brick-orange with a brighter/hotter pale "yellowy peach" color in the center, rather than the dark beige color that you have from the street.

You matched the other colors relatively well, but that might just be something to think about! :)

These are the exact kinds of studies I'm planning on doing soon.

NightDragon on
    edited June 2013
    Thanks ND! I struggle with color quite a bit, so I appreciate the feedback.

Also guys, a critique session will be starting soon!

Edit: Spent the morning on a fur study for this weeks assignment. I tried exaggerating the colors some and didn't use my soft brush once. It was really tough!

week7_texture_fur.png

Edit2: Looking at this now, the colors are pretty off in most areas. : \

I definitely need think less and observe more!

aaaand a metal armor study! I think the colors came out closer here and I really like painting reflective things. I think it's much easier than furry things, in some ways. Lots of fun!

week7_texture_metal.png

F87 on
    Nice armor f87!

some photo studies from the previous week
    tumblr_mp2ng5G86T1sr9r88o1_1280.png
    tumblr_mp2ng5G86T1sr9r88o7_1280.png
    tumblr_mp2ng5G86T1sr9r88o5_1280.png

@Skyturtle - Thanks! I really like your first one. The second portrait could use some more punch in terms of values, I think.

Here is a material/edge imaginative sketch:

week7_texture_imagine1.png

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    WHOOPS I better start posting some of my work! Here are the ones I'm less sure about, I would love any feedback:

What is perspective even???:

7.jpg

30 minute en plain air (I carried my wacom & netbook around for these):

19701%20driftwood%20bay%20LDS%20church%20parking%20lot.jpg

Color study of a painting by a certain Michael (said painting in spoiler):

meetflit.jpg
    tf2_agentflit.jpg

Assorted imagined sketches:

jump.jpg

futurescape.jpg

lava.jpg

Agentflit on
  • fenryskfenrysk Registered User new member
    i actually went to school with Noah, and when I last spoke with him at Spectrum, he was very impressed with the level of work his students were turning out, and seeing it in person, I am too. Keep up the hard work guys!

edited July 2013
    Decided to finish my afternoon with a quick photoref and then oops suddenly it's dark out and there's Zelda fanart in front of me.

excusemeprincess.jpg

And the landscape reference it came from.
    IMG_9033.jpg

Fugitive on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuug that is pretty dang kewl

Thanks.

It would probably look better without the big green Zelda but it was idea I wanted to execute a month ago, and the photoref happened to line up with the type of color palette I wanted so I decided to give it a shot.

Material studies
    tumblr_mpcusbQoBK1sr9r88o1_500.png

tumblr_mpcusbQoBK1sr9r88o2_500.png
    tumblr_mpcusbQoBK1sr9r88o3_500.png
    above ref'd from Nick Sachos - Blush on deviant art
    tumblr_mpcusbQoBK1sr9r88o4_500.png
    tumblr_mpcusbQoBK1sr9r88o5_500.png

Sky, those are pretty good - I think you could emphasise the edges more to get different materials to read better though (check the fur coat v skin on the lady - if you use noah's brush on both the edges on her skin wont be super soft, it can be tricky)

I only did a few material studies cause I hated it, but this is probably the only one that was seriously considered:

materials-study-bee-flipped.jpg

Figure studies this week! get hyped!

Damn, Kev! That edge control is awesome. Great texture!

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    The fuck? Holy shit Kev...

kevindee I didn't know that was yours in the fb group. wow, super impressive.

No new lesson yet?

edited July 2013
    I didn't get the email and he didn't update the secret page but he linked to it on facebook.

Edit to add: The download link is wrong in the facebook post but he corrected it in the comments.

skyturtle on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Good news for those of us who are just tagging along: Noah has released week 1's video for free in honour of British Experiment Day yay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kQfF-P70V2Q

m3nace on
    I didn't really understand the explanation for studying exclusively from dead people, how does that change your perception? I really like William Wray, Kazuo Oga and Dice Tsutsumi so I'm going for it.

edited July 2013
    I think artists tend to teach in absolutes a lot to dissuade people from damaging practices, with the expectation that once you're savvy enough to understand why that rule is there, you're savvy enough to know when and how to break it.

It's been a few weeks since I've seen the video, so I can't remember exactly what he said or how he said it

But I think the point he was mostly getting at is that it's easy to get caught up in what's trendy now, and let that overly influence your art, and that can mean you get caught up in fads and bad habits that don't necessarily make you better as an artist. There's a cultural filtering effect that happens with respect to older works, and doing master studies of those works means you end up learning methods that have withstood the test of time and be in a better position to iterate on those. You can still study contemporary artists - hell, some of my master studies came by way of an extremely girly anime - you just have to be careful, because if you do that too much you run the risk of becoming a copy-cat of someone already alive and working in the field. Or you might get tunnel vision and lock yourself into current trends that are burning hot, but extinguish in a couple years and everyone is kind of sick of them.

Imagine if you were doing these studies in the 70's, and you really liked fantasy art, so you studied the most popular fantasy art available to you at the time. Eventually you'll probably end up making the same generic velvety airbrushed 70's fantasy art that you find on discount blacklight posters at Spencer's Gifts. Or say you really liked anime in the 90's, so you modeled your education around learning to draw like this, then the 00's roll around and suddenly you kind of bored with melty-faced anime girls. So then you transition to studying how Jhonen Vasquez and Roman Dirge design their characters, and 5 years later your work has a distinct Hot Topic edge to it that even you yourself find kind of unappealing in retrospect.

At the moment, there are a lot of artists that draw like Pendleton Ward, who weren't drawing like Pendleton Ward a few years ago.

Not saying that you'll definitely fall into that trap if you don't study artists from before your time, and it's entirely possible that you can get along perfectly fine having never done a study of an artist who stopped making work before you were born. But even if their body of work doesn't quite excite you, there is probably a certain area in which they really excelled, be it color or composition or specific rendering techniques, and that can be extremely captivating. And those techniques are probably things that have aged incredibly gracefully, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at their work to begin with. That's probably worth studying.

Fugitive on
    edited July 2013
    the way he phrased it is "time has weeded out bad art" or something to that effect. It's the art that "stands the test of time" to prove its worth. Art that is in fact good (by that I mean) art that can teach you VS art that influences you that may not have as much substance. I'm influenced by a lot of artists that lack a lot of foundation in their style. Exaggerated anatomy, exaggerated perspective, and I can't learn real perspective and anatomy from them. I can absorb their habits and mannerisms that make me like them, but it isn't going to teach me foundational skills.

There are a lot of phenomenal concept artists whose works are incomplete that, in studying their work, would teach me less than I would get from an old master.

ninjai on
    Sure if you wanna be succinct about it.

Fugitive wrote: »
    Sure if you wanna be succinct about it.

:P

Haha, hmmk, well said.
    Fugitive wrote: »
    You can still study contemporary artists - hell, some of my master studies came by way of an extremely girly anime -

I'm such a huge fan if we're talking about You Yoshinari, this guy is practically a god among men who can do it all. Leaving Gainax and starting up his own studio was a serious gusty move and I'm super excited for their new anime which should be out in a couple months. Imaishi, Sushio, Yoneyama, they all make me cry inside something fierce.

Yoshinari is the undisputed king of bosses

Some photo and texture references

texture1.jpg
    texture3.jpg
    texture2.jpg

photoref7.jpg
    photoref8.jpg

edited July 2013
    Nice work, Fug.

I was hoping the link to the figure video would have been fixed / re-mailed. I never actually watched it because I couldn't find it. : \

Still, I did some figure gesture/sketches:

week8_figure_gestures.png

week8_figure_studies.png

F87 on