As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man this sucks. I made a huge mistake of looking at his wife's twitter from the last few days

so depressed now

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure their show isn't on their mind right now Krathoon.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I sincerely hope they still have a bombcast this week. Mostly because I feel like those guys are part of my family, and really need to hear candidly from them how they're holding up.

Also, I will be framing my "Fuck Ryan Davis" t-shirt.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Man, this blows.

It's like..damn life.

How often do you see a guy that seems to just genuinely love what he does and loves just being...and he's gone. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Read the news as I was listening to this piece of music: Tragic and surreal.

• The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Wow that is terrible news. I almost feel like I knew the guy since I've been listening to the podcast every week for the last 3 years.

And how the hell have they been putting out videos for the last 5 days while knowing this news?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This is just fucking terrible. Ryan was a hell of a video games writer and a funny dude, and I'm going to miss hearing him talk about his dumb fucking summer jams every week.

=[

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    :cry:

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Wow that is terrible news. I almost feel like I knew the guy since I've been listening to the podcast every week for the last 3 years.

And how the hell have they been putting out videos for the last 5 days while knowing this news?

They have an automated system for uploading content, so all of it would have been made before they knew.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I followed him on Twitter and thought it was strange he stopped tweeting. I had just thought maybe he unplugged for a while and was enjoying his honeymoon and celebrating a new stage of his life.

Never did I imagine this. I've listened to them since they were Giant Bomb, even listening to Interview Dumptruck. I just absolutely loved and respected these guys and the game industry certainly lost one of their greatest journalistic voices.

Crayon on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I never met the man, but it feels like I've lost a friend.

This is exactly how I feel :( I've been on the verge of tears here for an hour. There is a giant hole left in the video games journalism industry today.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It's been 2 hours since I found out, and I think I finally get why this hurts so much. Looking at my computer right now, I have every single Bombcast downloaded, 3 Favorites folders worth of my favorite GB videos, another Favorites folder of just GB threads from this forum, and I don't even wanna know how much memory of my computer and brain is devoted to just stuff from/inspired by/in tribute to Giant Bomb. Every Tuesday night for years I have listened to minimum 1 hour of the weekly Bombcast and I've heard his voice. Every week I've heard his voice. I've listened to most of the Bombcasts, tried to watch as much QLs and stuff, and the GOTY and E3 casts in particular are magic, at least in good part due to him. Ryan Davis, and Giant Bomb in general, have been in my life (albeit off and on) since the site's inception in 2008. That's longer than I've known some of my friends who I have met and shared conversations with. And I didn't really notice all of this stuff until now.

I've devoted so much time to Giant Bomb that I didn't even know about or notice, and it makes it so hard to know that one of the main people behind it is now gone. Actually, that's probably a disservice. Since I started listening to the stuff from the beginning, it's become apparent that if any single person in the group can be considered Giant Bomb's father, it was Ryan Davis. His humor encapsulated the spirit of it all. And that laugh was always wonderful.

I feel like I've lost a really good friend. Ryan Davis is what I think when I think about Giant Bomb. And I will miss him.

• The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

They have an automated system for uploading content, so all of it would have been made before they knew.

That makes sence.

Fuck, I just realised that we will never hear: "Hey everyone, it's tuuuuuuesdayyy" again :(

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I sincerely hope they still have a bombcast this week. Mostly because I feel like those guys are part of my family, and really need to hear candidly from them how they're holding up.

Also, I will be framing my "Fuck Ryan Davis" t-shirt.
    It seems like a fitting form for a sort of wake. I know we don't have any right to experience it, but

Yeah I don't know how to finish that sentence, and I've spent way too long just staring at that fragment so I'm just going to add this and hit reply.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I was looking forward to the Giant Bomb panel this year at PAX, especially after what Ryan pulled at the PAX East panel. The whole convention is going to be a little less bright now that he's gone. :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    :(

Sometimes the world is a real shitty place. At other times it is lit up by people like Ryan Davis.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

They haven't exactly been putting out videos for the last 5 days. The last site updates before this were on the 5th, and that was just 8-4 Play and a Patrick video that was probably filmed before then. Before that, there weren't any updates period on the 4th.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This next week will be the rough one.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    If we are going to cry about Ryan Davis, they might as well be tears of laughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb97Ahy0NNg#at=228

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    This is fucking awful. I feel so bad for his wife, the GB crew, and his friends. Giant Bomb will never, ever be the same.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    fuck

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    I liked his work on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ChMgmgGX4

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    What the shit?!

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    That's awful, his health has always been a concern but I certainly never expected this :(

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    A man of passion and creativity. I am so sad to hear that the gaming community has lost a person like that. Can't even imagine what his wife and family must be feeling.

Thank you very very fucking much, Ryan, for what you gave to us.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please refrain from speculating on his death. Yes, Ryan was a big man, but that doesn't give us license to throw around a bunch of wild hypotheses.

A little respect for the deceased, please.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yep, looks like they're bumping up some old favorites of Ryan.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    steam_sig.png
    Apparently Child's Play has a setup where you can donate in Ryan's name.

https://donate.childsplaycharity.org/e4d75311efca5db0ae3fadc3425c6273

steam_sig.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't often make use of emoticons, but :cry: is pretty much all I got here. It's a hell of a loss.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Jesus this is terrible. Terrible.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    This man loved games. And made content that people like us would enjoy about those games. This should be remembered.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    His poor wife. Fuck.

I remember him talking on the Bombcast about the holiday they had when he proposed to her. Dude was so excited.

Not sure how I'd feel about them trying to do the same show again. There's no replacement for him.

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    This news has ruined me since I first heard this morning. It is a huge loss to his wife and family of course, but also Giant Bomb as a whole, all the fans and gaming media in general. Ryan produced the best gaming podcast on the internet in my opinion. When he's not MCing it, it's not the same. He was the faceman\hypeman of Giant Bomb and now that here we are. Giant Bomb won't be the same.

I never knew him in person, but with a site like Giant Bomb you get to know each and everyone one of those guys almost like a friend. It feels like a friend has passed. I listened to the Bombcast every week and each of those guys is like my gaming older brother.

Also, I'm the same age as Ryan and it reminds me that we can never take things for granted. This isn't some YOLO crap, it's real. Be good to each other.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    :(

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This clip of him and Jeff (and Vinny?) imitating a radio call in show gets me every time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaO5gwyVcsg

This one always cracks me up, from the Gamespot days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nlUiRexKjk

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The timing of this - for him and his wife - is just really not fair. I hate describing it like that but what else is there? This is the worst. RIP Ryan, and my thoughts and prayers are there for his friends and loved ones.

This discussion has been closed.