As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel] at Redundant Threads

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well... Google was probably using ads based off your search history so I gotta wonder what you're searching that would lead to semen banks dot com being an acceptable ad for you.

Invisible on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Why in the high fuck did google ads decide I need a banner for sementanks.com in a Phinas and Ferb trailer?
    I've seen some shit on the internet and I am no where near that level of hating myself to actually goto a site with that as their url.

It was actually an ad for cement ankhs. The business owner is pretty much the Egyptian Tobias Fünke, and English is his second language so can you really blame him for some minor spelling errors?

Convincing his family he's not gay didn't get any easier though.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    That trailer is the embodiment of everything people worry about when Disney buys a property.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    That trailer is the embodiment of everything people worry about hope for when Disney buys a property.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So the Marvel Heroes game has gotten me wanting to try and read a Marvel comic after, I dunno (looks at clock) twenty years or so. I'm thinking of trying that new Marvel Now X-Men with Rachel Summers and Rogue in it. Am I just gonna be totally lost here if I want to enjoy stories with two of may favorite characters in them?

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I am no comic expert and I've only read a few "event" comic storylines but from my limited knowledge the "Planet Hulk" saga was awesome so that one could be worth checking out

The first and second "ultimates" are also cool contained stories that I managed to jump into without knowing basically anything about anything

The Annihilation saga was also a lot of fun but then I'm a sucker for bombastic space stuff :)

I haven't read any Marvel Now stuff though, sorry

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    So the Marvel Heroes game has gotten me wanting to try and read a Marvel comic after, I dunno (looks at clock) twenty years or so. I'm thinking of trying that new Marvel Now X-Men with Rachel Summers and Rogue in it. Am I just gonna be totally lost here if I want to enjoy stories with two of may favorite characters in them?

Having read that issue, I don't think you'll be lost. The villain is a guy with a little history to him, but they lay out his deal in some exposition at the beginning. Also a person shows up at the end who you won't know, but I bet they'll explain who she is for newer readers in the next issue.

But that series only put out its first issue last week, so if you want to read a bit more, you could read this story pretty easily I think:

X-Men Legacy: Back to School - It's got Rogue and Rachel and some other people you might not know, but it's a pretty good read.

Oh yeah, you should know that Rachel's going by Rachel Grey now, ever since Cyclops cheated on Jean with Emma Frost a while ago. Oh, and Jean's dead. Again. Been dead for about eight years now, actually. It's kind of impressive.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    should we start a new thread since we are post 100?

After they lock the thread, we might want to let it lie for a little bit, like until the next trailer for Thor hits.

After they lock the thread, we might want to let it lie for a little bit, like until the next trailer for Thor hits.
    Why? There's plenty of Marvel stuff to talk about.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Adds Karen Gillan as Lead Female Villain
    Doctor Who fans are about to get a Marvel crossover. No, the good Doctor isn’t stepping in for a role, but his companion is. Karen Gillan has recently been cast in James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy in an unnamed role as the film’s lead female villain. She’ll join Lee Pace and Michael Rooker on the evil side of the line, while Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and David Bautista will be the film’s heroic leads. The odd assortment of actors also includes the recently-added Glenn Close and John C. Reilly, though when the lead characters feature a walking tree and a talking raccoon, “odd” becomes a relative term. Production on Guardians of the Galaxy will begin in the next few months in London and the film opens on August 1, 2014. News of Gillan’s casting comes via Heat Vision.

Well, apparently some newspaper in Glasgow just ran a short story about Karen Gillan's role and who she's playing. Might be baseless speculation, but I admit, it makes a bit of sense.

0f934495b7d46a7d390a0ef10878f551.jpg?itok=3gchYlqm
    Angela

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    She's not nearly statuesque enough to play that character.

Plus, Angela isn't really a cosmic character, so it'd feel really out of place.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Having read that issue, I don't think you'll be lost. The villain is a guy with a little history to him, but they lay out his deal in some exposition at the beginning. Also a person shows up at the end who you won't know, but I bet they'll explain who she is for newer readers in the next issue.

But that series only put out its first issue last week, so if you want to read a bit more, you could read this story pretty easily I think:

X-Men Legacy: Back to School - It's got Rogue and Rachel and some other people you might not know, but it's a pretty good read.

Oh yeah, you should know that Rachel's going by Rachel Grey now, ever since Cyclops cheated on Jean with Emma Frost a while ago. Oh, and Jean's dead. Again. Been dead for about eight years now, actually. It's kind of impressive.

But Jean is around, since the original team has been brought to the present to... you know what, never mind.

You'll be fine reading X-(wo)Men, and there's always wikipedia if you are confused or want to know more about something.

This is why it makes a bit of sense.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #5
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS AND NEIL GAIMAN (W)
    Sara Pichelli (A/C)
    Variant COVER by Paolo Rivera
    ANGELA Variant Cover by TBD
    Skottie Young Variant Also Available
    • Spinning out of the dramatic conclusion of Age of Ultron, dimensions collide and Heaven’s most fearsome Angel pushes the Guardians back on their heels.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Doctor Who fans are about to get a Marvel crossover. No, the good Doctor isn’t stepping in for a role, but his companion is. Karen Gillan has recently been cast in James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy in an unnamed role as the film’s lead female villain. She’ll join Lee Pace and Michael Rooker on the evil side of the line, while Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and David Bautista will be the film’s heroic leads. The odd assortment of actors also includes the recently-added Glenn Close and John C. Reilly, though when the lead characters feature a walking tree and a talking raccoon, “odd” becomes a relative term. Production on Guardians of the Galaxy will begin in the next few months in London and the film opens on August 1, 2014. News of Gillan’s casting comes via Heat Vision.

Well, apparently some newspaper in Glasgow just ran a short story about Karen Gillan's role and who she's playing. Might be baseless speculation, but I admit, it makes a bit of sense.

Angela

Uhhh... isn't angela a spawn character?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Gaddez wrote: »
    MetalMagus wrote: »

Angela

Uhhh... isn't angela a spawn character?

Was, until Neil Gaiman won the rights to her in a lengthy court battle. And apparently decided let Marvel use her.

EDIT: Just fact-checked myself. The court awarded both sides half-ownership (along with a couple others). Gaiman and McFarlane settled later which gave Gaiman full ownership.

Tomanta on
    Yeah, Gaiman letting Marvel use Angela is a really interesting situation. I'm not aware of any other time a creator-owned character has turned up in canon in a corporately owned comic.

edited June 2013
    Yeah, Gaiman letting Marvel use Angela is a really interesting situation. I'm not aware of any other time a creator-owned character has turned up in canon in a corporately owned comic.

Kirkman's Invincible showed up in Marvel Team-Up, which was canon for both universes involved.

1163402-marvel_team_up_014_page_15_super.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
    Dang, I didn't know that story was considered canon.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    She's not nearly statuesque enough to play that character.

Plus, Angela isn't really a cosmic character, so it'd feel really out of place.

I'm sure either they can give her more clothing, or Karen will have a personal trainer, or both.

Look at Sif and Hill.

newSig.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Winter Soldier from the upcoming Captain America movie:
    screen_shot_2013-06-08_at_5.11.36_pm_large.png

The dots on his cyberarm are tracking points for the CGI cleanup which is why his elbow doesn't have anything on it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I remember a couple months ago, trying to look online to see if there was a plot summary for the last 10 years of so of Spawn to see what the character has been up to.

Couldn't find one.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bad. Ass.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Thanks for the response bud! I was out of contact till this morning to check this. I'll check out that trade as well. Looks like there have been quite a few changes to the X-folks. I guess I should just spend a day in Wikipedia learning what has happened in this time. I'm surprised Rachel isn't the Phoenix anymore though. That kind of blows. Ah well. Here's to trying to read comics again.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

Thanks for the response bud! I was out of contact till this morning to check this. I'll check out that trade as well. Looks like there have been quite a few changes to the X-folks. I guess I should just spend a day in Wikipedia learning what has happened in this time. I'm surprised Rachel isn't the Phoenix anymore though. That kind of blows. Ah well. Here's to trying to read comics again.

Wiki-ing House of M, Messiah Complex, Utopia, Schism and Avengers Vs X-Men should catch you up to the broad strokes of the world for current X-Men stories, and then maybe individual characters to fill some stuff in (Rachel's backstory ran very wide, for instance, before rejoining the Earth in the story CD mentioned).

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Is there a new thread yet? I can't find one.

Downey is in for Avengers 2 and 3.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hugh Dancy would make a pretty good Bruce Banner from his performances on Hannibal.

Watched Avengers again. Something about the way Chris Hemsworth digs into the shawarma at the end makes me laugh every time. It's just so Thor.

edited June 2013
    Guy like him, you expect to have a good meal after a battle.

EDIT: I really want a quick scene in Dark World where Thor tries to explain shawarma to the big guy (who's name I can never remember).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »

EDIT: I really want a quick scene in Dark World where Thor tries to explain shawarma to the big guy (who's name I can never remember).

Volstagg the Voluminous

Ok, Sif, Fylandrall (probably not spelling that right), Volstagg...

Who's number 3?

newSig.jpg
    Fandral the Dashing, Hogun the Grim and Volstagg the Voluminous.

Nocren wrote: »

After reading Siege, I'm hoping for more Asgardians screen time. That was an interesting event.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So Deadpool showed up on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, voiced by Will Friedle. It was... actually pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E78EKj5kAt8

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    That was kind of surprisingly dark for that cartoon... every jetpack he pulled off was a dead man. Unless they were robots?

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    That was kind of surprisingly dark for that cartoon... every jetpack he pulled off was a dead man. Unless they were robots?

They've all got parachutes too, it seems.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    That's not a bad interpretation of a teenaged Deadpool, which is what I assume they were going for.

But I'm still going to assume that Ultimate Spider-Man is unsalvageable.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man is super unsalvageable.

The fact that they canceled the excellent Spectacular Spider-Man to make room for this trash makes fills me with even more hate. Ugh, turning Peter Parker into JD from Scrubs is horrible.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Spectacular Spider-Man was canceled due to a licensing agreement with Sony.

We'll get final confirmations at SDCC, but for now most of the entertainment news sites are reporting an unconfirmed report that Benicio Del Toro will be playing the Collector, Lee Pace is Ronan the Accuser, and Karen Gillan is Nebula (which nobody saw coming cause we all thought she'd be playing a red head).

I'm putting money that the reason Vin Diesel was asked to visit the Marvel Studios was so he could be the voice of Groot.

This discussion has been closed.