As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Very strange. I've heard the man speak for hundreds of hours, so he's not a stranger, not really. But he is.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    this harmonix thing is making me laugh and cry in equal measures.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Please refrain from speculating on his death. Yes, Ryan was a big man, but that doesn't give us license to throw around a bunch of wild hypotheses.

A little respect for the deceased, please.

Regardless of how he died, people should consider this:

Never miss the chance to tell people you love them.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    maybe my favorite ryan QL. THATS YOUR ASS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgocqJ9Em04

Ah_Pook on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    D:

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    It really couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Ryan wasn't shy about telling things how they were, but he was one of the more positive forces in the industry.

steam_sig.png
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    The Harmonix tribute was great. Some more great memories being shown at

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    Absolutely devastating news... Ryan, man.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Just started getting into giant bomb, but I did enjoy watching his quick looks. Saddest part is that he just got married, man. Prayers going out to his wife and family.

Steam: offday
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I feel like my uncle died. Not some real uncle, but that mythical uncle that came to visit every so often, but somehow knew more about every subject you liked than you did. The funny guy, who no matter what was happening made every experience better. How the fuck do I feel all this for some dude that I didn't even know. Just an awesome voice in a podcast i've listened to for years. Ugh. This is hitting me way too fucking hard.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    He'll be horribly missed. Few people in the world manage to combine warmth and wit in such a world-improving manner.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Wow, that's so sad. His wife must be falling apart. You think you'll have many years with your spouse.... not that you'll lose them right after the wedding. Just awful. I was never a big fan of the Bombcast but he seemed like a good guy. He deserved better.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I've been with Giant Bomb since the beginning, when it rose from the ashes of Gerstmanngate. It quickly became my favorite personality-based video game website, filling the hole left by 1up.com falling apart. I always knew that time would eventually do away with Giant Bomb; that retirement, better jobs, moving and/or family would eventually end it. However I always thought that Jeff and Ryan would be there until the very end. I'd never believe that either of their lives would end before their careers did. It's too early to call doom on the whole website, but I know for a fact that Giant Bomb will never the same without Ryan Davis.

Thanks Ryan, for entertaining me over countless Tuesday nights. You were one of the good ones.

ShatterShock on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    His wife is taking it a lot better than most would, then again she's Ryan Davis' wife so you know she's probably awesome.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This isn't right.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    His wife is taking it a lot better than most would, then again she's Ryan Davis' wife so you know she's probably awesome.

Kind of want to virtua-choke the replier who thought calling a grieving widow a "cunt" is apropos.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I think this is my favorite Ryan Quick Look, with Vinny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwfvpKKGHQ

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Every time I think I'm getting over this, I see this thread title again and the finality of things washes over me again. It's amazing how much the death of someone you've never met can affect you.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

They've had about a half a week to mourn privately. It probably helps a bit.

But yes, knowing the type of dude Ryan was, his wife is probably as cool as he was.

I was thinking recently about celeb deaths which would really get to me. I could only come up with like, Weird Al. I kinda just figured the GB guys would be around a lot longer. Weird Al is pretty old.

:-(

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Such a fucking bummer. Guy was one of the best. I bet the GB offices are packed with condolence gifts from most of the goddam industry.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Kind of want to virtua-choke the replier who thought calling a grieving widow a "cunt" is apropos.

Dude only has two posts to his name; just a troll. Ignoring is the better option.

But yes, knowing the type of dude Ryan was, his wife is probably as cool as he was.

I was thinking recently about celeb deaths which would really get to me. I could only come up with like, Weird Al. I kinda just figured the GB guys would be around a lot longer. Weird Al is pretty old.

I remember when Weird Al's parents passed away 10 years ago from carbon monoxide poisoning. Felt pretty bad for the guy. Bad luck like that shouldn't happen to nice people like Weird Al.

Or Ryan Davis.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    What can I say that hasn't been said already. We lost someone great today. I'm sad. That's all that Ican type.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited July 2013

Weird Al keeps an extremely healthy lifestyle, though. My wife saw him at Whole Foods while we were waiting for our clothes to finish at the laundromat.

Disclaimer: This is not a speculation post. I'm just sayin', Al's gonna be with us for a long ass time.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

Weird Al keeps an extremely healthy lifestyle, though. My wife saw him at Whole Foods while we were waiting for our clothes to finish at the laundromat.

Disclaimer: This is not a speculation post. I'm just sayin', Al's gonna be with us for a long ass time.

I can't believe it's been 10 years since Weird Al's parents died in that accident.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I can't believe he's 53.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Like many many others I never met ryan, but I feel like I've known him for years. He positively influenced alot of people, and it fucking sucks that he had to go so young

Here's hoping giantbomb can stay strong and keep doing what they do.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I can't believe he's 53.

53 is not that old. I agree though. He will probably be a 90 something.

Krathoon on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Like many many others I never met ryan, but I feel like I've known him for years. He positively influenced alot of people, and it fucking sucks that he had to go so young

qq8wLQe.jpg

I have a hard time imagining the Bombcast ever being the same without Ryan at the helm. He was by far the best host of the bunch.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    CarbonFire wrote: »

qq8wLQe.jpg

I have a hard time imagining the Bombcast ever being the same without Ryan at the helm. He was by far the best MC of the bunch.

It won't be the same; but that doesn't mean it can't still be enjoyable. I'm sure Ryan wouldn't want them to stop on his account.

Even the few bombcasts they did without Ryan were still pretty good. I have no doubt that, among all the podcasts I listen to, I'll still be looking forward to the Giant Bombcast every week. But it will never be the same. The next GB podcast I listen to will be the last one that Ryan was on, and I have a feeling that's going to be extremely difficult to get through.

• GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been expressed, but the tears I'm stifling at work say more than words could. Ryan and the crew have been my backbone in some shaky personal years and this loss couldn't be felt more.

It goes without saying that my deepest sympathies go to his wife, friends and family. I hope the broader community is tactful in this time of mourning, but if anything can inspire our cynical, fragmented asses into respectful solidarity it's the big man's legacy.

Thanks for an immeasurable contribution to the industry and life at large, Ryan. You will be missed.

I can't imagine what they're even going to do for tomorrow's show.

steam_sig.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    after Patrick's move, the bombcast was already starting to experiment with the format somewhat, ryan's passing will probably force the issue

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So sad.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • exisexis Registered User regular

Shit, I hope they hold off on returning until next week. I mean, they all just found out today as well right?

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »

Shit, I hope they hold off on returning until next week. I mean, they all just found out today as well right?

No, they almost assuredly knew on the 3rd, or close to it. They probably didn't want to announce it during a holiday when most people wouldn't see it, and give Ryan's family and close friends time to grieve in private.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    Ryan's dad is on twitter and posted a picture of young Ryan

Ryan @taswell on his first train trip in Europe, he loved trains pic.twitter.com/LlIOgfT8Lu

BOs21xDCcAEN0fW.jpg

This discussion has been closed.