As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    SteevL bringing back the tears

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I am just sitting in bed being super bummed out by all of this.

It still feels kind of unreal to me, like I will wake up tomorrow and this will just be some weird dream.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    exis wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    I can't imagine what they're even going to do for tomorrow's show.

Shit, I hope they hold off on returning until next week. I mean, they all just found out today as well right?

No, they almost assuredly knew on the 3rd, or close to it. They probably didn't want to announce it during a holiday when most people wouldn't see it, and give Ryan's family and close friends time to grieve in private.

Maybe. I assumed that would be the case, but twitter feeds from Patrick, Jeff, Vinny, etc seem pretty normal/positive right up until about 12 hours ago or so.

This sucks, though (from Patrick's twitter feed on the 4th):
    A day of extremely mixed feelings. Doesn't feel like it's been a whole year since my dad passed. Life moves fast.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I don't follow Giant Bomb, but clearly this guy has made an impression on a lot of people. A co-worker I don't often talk to saw that I had PA open on my browser and she came over to ask if I had hear the news about Ryan... then offered me an extra ticket she had to PAX.

If I do end up going to PAX as a result of that interaction, I will pour one out in Ryan's honor.

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    I can't imagine what they're even going to do for tomorrow's show.

Shit, I hope they hold off on returning until next week. I mean, they all just found out today as well right?

No, they almost assuredly knew on the 3rd, or close to it. They probably didn't want to announce it during a holiday when most people wouldn't see it, and give Ryan's family and close friends time to grieve in private.

Maybe. I assumed that would be the case, but twitter feeds from Patrick, Jeff, Vinny, etc seem pretty normal/positive right up until about 12 hours ago or so.

This sucks, though (from Patrick's twitter feed on the 4th):
    A day of extremely mixed feelings. Doesn't feel like it's been a whole year since my dad passed. Life moves fast.

No one can claim to know when or what the GB crew knew and when they knew it. Besides, a lot of people today have written in their eulogies that they found out either today or over the weekend or last week and just didn't say anything. People were likely spreading the news among close personal circles, slowly.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Another podcast clip. This one is back from when they were doing weekly readings of Virtual Console descriptions. I was laughing so hard in the car when this came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqPJwxUlWo

That moment Ryan realizes he heard this same exact description the previous week and they read it together in union...

• Mike LemmerMike Lemmer Registered User regular

That was just them hiding the tears behind smiles. The GiantBomb crew and their closest friends (Dave Lang, John T. Drake, etc.) all knew about it a day after it happened, but they kept mum about it. Why? Because it was a holiday, because they wanted to give the family time to grieve and hold the funeral first... not sure. But I take the fact none of this leaked beforehand as a sign of how much they loved & respected him.

I gotta feel for some of them, I mean Dave Lang had to do an entire convention while holding that back:

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It's so strange and wonderful to be mourning along with people I have never met over someone most of us never knew.

One of my favorite Ryan moments right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zYf5r_46A

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

That was just them hiding the tears behind smiles. The GiantBomb crew and their closest friends (Dave Lang, John T. Drake, etc.) all knew about it a day after it happened, but they kept mum about it. Why? Because it was a holiday, because they wanted to give the family time to grieve and hold the funeral first... not sure. But I take the fact none of this leaked beforehand as a sign of how much they loved & respected him.

I gotta feel for some of them, I mean Dave Lang had to do an entire convention while holding that back:

Yeah, in one of the photos Ryan's wife posted on the night of July 4th, after it went down, Jeff is there.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They had to basically be cordial and stoic for the past few days in secret while they mourned privately. That means no replying to people who might have wished the new couple a happy life, or asked about the GB skeleton crew attending PAX Aus.

They've probably been through hell these past few days.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    SteevL wrote: »
    Ryan's dad is on twitter and posted a picture of young Ryan

Ryan @taswell on his first train trip in Europe, he loved trains pic.twitter.com/LlIOgfT8Lu

BOs21xDCcAEN0fW.jpg

He sure DID love trains!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5q085jWoHA&sns=em

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Hey everyone it's Tuesday... :cry:

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Totally feel gutted.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I posted this on my blog today, thought I would share it as it has some of my favorite moments with that wonderful man.

I found myself this afternoon at the library. I was sitting in the Children's Section and was sitting at a far table as the library had been taken over by a magician who was there for the summer programming. I had just finished tutoring my three kids and was flipping through my cellphone to sort of waste a bit of time before I planned for tomorrow. All around me was raucous laughter and small children being entertained by magic. I myself was finding comfort in my moment of peace surrounded by this chaos. However after landing on the G&T section of the Penny Arcade forums which I frequent often, I saw a thread title that made me pause.

My mind began to race, it had to be fake. A joke perhaps? I rushed to the Giant Bomb home page and found this. It felt like a punch to the gut. My moment of calm dissipated and I found myself on the verge of tears. Ryan Davis, a man who I look up to and listen to many times a week during podcasts, Quick Looks and livestreams had died. He was 34 and had just been married days before.

His laugh was unmistakable and his charm could be felt through the computer speakers as he said, "Hey everybody it's Tueeeesday!" and opened the Giant Bombcast every week. He was affable, a wonderful guy and someone who was just so genuinely funny. I always wished to meet him as he had that nature about him that said, "We don't know each other, but I'd love to meet you."

Here are some of my favorite moments with him:

Ryan Davis Drinks Breast Milk (During that Giant Bomb Panel at PAX)

Ryan Davis is a NARC (Giant Bombcast)

Ryan Davis' Tower Box Nightmare (Thursday Night Throwdown)

Ryan Davis discovers a young Brad Muir (Thursday Night Throwdown)

Ryan Davis plays Hotline Miami (Quick Look)

Ryan Davis (and Giant Bomb Crew) play Cards Against Humanity (Thursday Night Throwdown)

Ryan Davis says Never. (Giant Bombcast)

Ryan Davis is a cowboy. (Game of the Year Awards 2011)

Ryan Davis enjoys a massage. (Giant Bombcast)

He was and is a big inspiration to me and my own future. Thanks duder. You will be missed dearly.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    My god, that's awful. Such a great guy, taken away far too young from his loved ones, close friends, and many, many fans.

When I think of the Bombcast, I hear his voice. It won't be the same without you, man.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I hope they do a live stream at some point where they just reminisce about all the fun times they got up to with Ryan, in-between playing clips of their favorite Ryan moments. I think I'd enjoy that.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Allforce wrote: »
    Hey everyone it's Tuesday... :cry:

:(

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    The worst part about this is that, unlike how I felt when other entertainers I've liked have died, I only viewed their work sporadically. I watch or listen to Giant Bomb stuff nearly every day though. It's going to feel weird to tune in week after week and never hear his voice again.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've never watched or listened to Giant Bomb myself, but from this thread, other places on the internet and some of my friends today I have learned what a huge force Ryan was in the gaming community.

So I guess as a way to remember his life, if someone has never done anything Giant Bomb related before, where should one begin?

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've never watched or listened to Giant Bomb myself, but from this thread, other places on the internet and some of my friends today I have learned what a huge force Ryan was in the gaming community.

So I guess as a way to remember his life, if someone has never done anything Giant Bomb related before, where should one begin?

I'm gonna crosspost from the SE++ thread
    GUYS

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Get on Twitter and tweet @This_Year and let them know you'd like to see a Ryan Davis tribute
    This Year Collection ‏@This_Year 3h
    I'll happily put one together if people are interested. Tweet and let me know. RT: @aaronistweeting will we get a Ryan Davis Tribute?

So, if you go to http://www.thisyearcollection.org/ or if you have iTunes, find the This Year podcast subscription page

They basically recap podcasts, going through them for the best and funniest bits and condensing them into one long version of the podcast

They've done a few years worth of Giant Bomb's stuff now, and they're all worth checking out. They're long (the 2012 is eight hours long), but if you love it, you'll want more, and there'll be plenty of episodes of the actual Bombcast to go back through

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Thank you!

I'm gonna crosspost from the SE++ thread
    GUYS

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Get on Twitter and tweet @This_Year and let them know you'd like to see a Ryan Davis tribute
    This Year Collection ‏@This_Year 3h
    I'll happily put one together if people are interested. Tweet and let me know. RT: @aaronistweeting will we get a Ryan Davis Tribute?

So, if you go to http://www.thisyearcollection.org/ or if you have iTunes, find the This Year podcast subscription page

They basically recap podcasts, going through them for the best and funniest bits and condensing them into one long version of the podcast

They've done a few years worth of Giant Bomb's stuff now, and they're all worth checking out. They're long (the 2012 is eight hours long), but if you love it, you'll want more, and there'll be plenty of episodes of the actual Bombcast to go back through

Oh, thank you for this!

I'll definitely be listening to the earlier stuff I haven't really heard before!

• simacsimac Registered User regular
    I never met Ryan Davis, hell - I didn't even know what he looked like until today. But he and the 'Bomb crew have been the soundtrack to three hours of my week for years.

As others have said, he will be sorely missed. RIP, dude.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    oh my god that year collection thing is incredible

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

The best of Ryan is tucked away in podcasts and livestreams. I've seen a memorial thread on the Giant Bomb forums that has a lot of highlights in it. Giant Bomb's front page has some choice content from him in its top slot, as well.

You may dig through TANG, which is a series in which he reviewed every movie that was an adaptation of a video game, and, later, started through every movie to feature video games as a central plot element. Sadly, this went on hiatus years ago and he never got around to picking it back up.

After occasionally yelling at Jeff and Vinny from across the room during their Persona 4 Endurance Run (let's play), he got roped into doing one of the two dueling Deadly Premonition runs, alongside Brad Shoemaker. He actively hated doing endurance runs, and, in between getting completely giddy about absolutely everything that happened at the end of that game, complained about it incessantly. So, naturally, he turned around and did one for Chrono Trigger with Patrick Klepek, which was frequently frustrating to watch due to their inability to read things that are right there on the goddamn screen.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    This feels different than when other celebrities die. For others I know their characters or their music, but with Ryan I felt like I knew him as a person. All of the GB guys, I think, are just out there being who they are so this feels like losing a friend. I didn't just appreciate what Ryan Davis brought the GiantBomb and their podcast, I feel like over years of listening to him on the bombcast and watching him in quick looks that I appreciate Ryan Davis as a person. And despite never really knowing him or even meeting him, I'm going to miss him the same way that I miss friends who've passed away.

camo_sig2.png
  • natetwocnatetwoc Registered User regular
    Saw this when I got home yesterday and was so shocked. Saw it while checking Polygon and thought to myself "This can't be real, there's no way". The Bombcasts will never be the same...

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    One thing that will never stop being funny is watching a grown man flush a pie down a toilet while cackling like a madman.

The part where he has to brace himself against the wall to catch his breath between giggling fits pretty much sums up Ryan, I think.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    F*cking Joseph Kahn. :)
    Whoa I just found out @taswell passed away. He sent me so many nice tweets about TORQUE. Cheered me up. Really appreciated. I will miss him.

He might be the snarkiest mofo on the internet but he does some good stuff.

This is my latest ad - for Johnnie Walker Blue Label in China.

It stars Bruce Lee.

You should watch it first then come back and read the rest.

Seriously, watch it first.

OK.

The making of the ad:

My good friend BBH Creative Executive Johnny Tan and I first talked about doing this concept a year ago. We shot it in Hong Kong, and then we worked with vfx company The Mill in London to create a completely CGI Bruce Lee over nine months. EVERY shot of his head and every detail in there is completely cgi. We got Shannon Lee, Bruce Lee's daughter, to come aboard and we really picked her brain to make sure that everything was accurate from look to soul. We wanted to be as respectful to the man and legend as we could.

A big thank you to Johnny, Shannon, Mill, and everyone who tirelessly worked on this.

I think Ryan would have loved this.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    His wife is taking it a lot better than most would, then again she's Ryan Davis' wife so you know she's probably awesome.

Kind of want to virtua-choke the replier who thought calling a grieving widow a "cunt" is apropos.

Who is he

I'll punch him in the face over the internet

I've done it before, I'll do it again

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Friend of mine just posted one of the rememberence articles out there on his facebook. Seems silly but at a time most of my friends wouldn't really understand the impact a man on the internet has had on what I imagine is tens of thousands of people at least it was good to share some of our favourite bombcast moments with each other.

I wonder how you articulate this kind of thing to someone who isn't really a part of any online community? I think the best I've seen was on the GB forums, someone said something along the lines of "quietly coping with the loss of a man who brought joy into my life on an almost daily basis."

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    One thing that will never stop being funny is watching a grown man flush a pie down a toilet while cackling like a madman.

The part where he has to brace himself against the wall to catch his breath between giggling fits pretty much sums up Ryan, I think.

oh man, i missed seeing this originally. incredible.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    It's not quite the same, but when I was talking to my wife she likened it to her being profoundly sad when folks like Deforest Kelley and James Doohan passed away. They're certainly bigger celebrities, but it's what she immediately jumped to.

camo_sig2.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I noticed this thread's title right before going to sleep last night; shocking and sad news.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    This is hitting home for a completely different reason: that guy was my age (I turn 35 in October). Just scary.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    This is hitting home for a completely different reason: that guy was my age (I turn 35 in October). Just scary.

I turn 35 in October, too. It's a bit scary.

I passed him numerous times at PAX East, especially at ACAM, but I never wanted to be "that guy" stopping a celebrity to say hi. I really regret that now, at least to tell him how much of a smile he put on my face every week. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    simac wrote: »
    I never met Ryan Davis, hell - I didn't even know what he looked like until today. But he and the 'Bomb crew have been the soundtrack to three hours of my week for years.

As others have said, he will be sorely missed. RIP, dude.

Duuude, if you never watched their videos, you've missed some of the best entertainment in gaming.

steam_sig.png
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    F*cking Joseph Kahn. :)
    Whoa I just found out @taswell passed away. He sent me so many nice tweets about TORQUE. Cheered me up. Really appreciated. I will miss him.

He might be the snarkiest mofo on the internet but he does some good stuff.

This is my latest ad - for Johnnie Walker Blue Label in China.

It stars Bruce Lee.

You should watch it first then come back and read the rest.

Seriously, watch it first.

OK.

The making of the ad:

My good friend BBH Creative Executive Johnny Tan and I first talked about doing this concept a year ago. We shot it in Hong Kong, and then we worked with vfx company The Mill in London to create a completely CGI Bruce Lee over nine months. EVERY shot of his head and every detail in there is completely cgi. We got Shannon Lee, Bruce Lee's daughter, to come aboard and we really picked her brain to make sure that everything was accurate from look to soul. We wanted to be as respectful to the man and legend as we could.

A big thank you to Johnny, Shannon, Mill, and everyone who tirelessly worked on this.

I think Ryan would have loved this.

A little confused as to the relevance of Joseph Kahn (and why he's referred to as "Fucking" Joseph Kahn?), or the linked ad?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
This discussion has been closed.