As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Australia 2013 - Cosplay thread

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Zalchiah wrote: »
    I have been telling myself to make the Blood Dragon Armor from ME2/3.
    Side thought, I wonder if they'd let me wear it at PAX because I'm also an Enforcer...

Yes they do....as long as your "Enforcer" markings are clearly visible to everyone.

There might be other rules but this is the one that sticks in my mind.

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    RiketzRiketz Registered User regular
    vjreddy12 wrote: »
    Riketz wrote: »
    Annnd they said I couldn't make swords outa leather :d

Damn Riketz, you can surely work that hide :D...

Will hopefully get a chance at PAX to meetup and take a good closer look.

Sure thing ^_^

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    wooooahhh so much quality !!! 42 days to go, I'm still creating :D

here's my progress! Im still working on the tabbard, and clothes gotta do shoulder pads still as well but they scare me D=
    armour.jpg

• Options
    tomjonesytomjonesy Registered User new member
    Do you think they'd allow a sword like this in?
    http://www.playwell.co.uk/wushu-double-flexible-broadsword-w-dragon-scabbard-38-p-4882.html
    It's metal but it is blunt

• Options
    NeenerNeener Registered User regular
    Zalchiah wrote: »
    I have been telling myself to make the Blood Dragon Armor from ME2/3.
    Damn I hate being lazy/poor.

I wonder if it's too late to get cracking and join in the fun because looking at some of the previous posts have got me damn excited.

Side thought, I wonder if they'd let me wear it at PAX because I'm also an Enforcer...

Ah man, I'd love to see the Blood Dragon set from ME :O

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    tomjonesy wrote: »
    http://www.playwell.co.uk/wushu-double-flexible-broadsword-w-dragon-scabbard-38-p-4882.html

Read the first post again and if you are still unsure please ask again.

• Options
    AaronC wrote: »

Read the first post again and if you are still unsure please ask again.
    I've read it over and over, and it mentions nothing about swords that are blunt. However, I'm worried if they see that it's metal they will not allow it through even if it has no pointy or sharps bits, and won't even bother checking if it isn't sharp/pointy (not open to dispute).

• Options
    Are they sharp or pointy enough to to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure? If so, then they aren't allowed. If not, they are allowed. I can't know that from looking at a picture, but if they aren't pointy enough to pierce then they are fine.

• Options
    I once cut myself with plastic scissors >__>

• Options
    Are they sharp or pointy enough to to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure? If so, then they aren't allowed. If not, they are allowed. I can't know that from looking at a picture, but if they aren't pointy enough to pierce then they are fine.
    I guess so, I have to first figure out how to get them shipped to Victoria though :P
    I was just worried that because they're metal they might immediately assume they're sharp and not even bother checking.

• Options
    sarokthebluntsaroktheblunt Registered User new member
    Hi Everyone! My partner and I are coming as Velma/Geisha and Shaggy/Ronin and would love to find our Daphne and Fred that would like to join us in our mashup!

If you're at all interested in being our samurai/geisha/empress/shogun/daimyo whatever-your-take-on-a-Tokugawa-Japan mash up with Scooby Doo as Daphne and Fred, then please let us know! We're happy to go on our own, but we'd love to make it a true 'gang.' If you'd like to know more about us before committing, we can have coffee or tea or cupcakes or Scooby Snacks together and have a chat!

Thanks everyone, so far, it's looking amazing and I couldn't be more excited! :D

• Options
    DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    I guess so, I have to first figure out how to get them shipped to Victoria though :P
    I was just worried that because they're metal they might immediately assume they're sharp and not even bother checking.

First off, I AM NOT A LAWYER. Nothing in this post is intended as legal advice; rather it is advice of a general nature. You should contact Victoria Police and/or a competent lawyer to determine exactly what you can and cannot bring into Victoria.

They may be fine under PAX rules, but you should check with Victoria Police as to whether the item is prohibited within Victoria. Swords are listed as Prohibited Weapons, and so cannot be brought into (or possessed in) Victoria without Chief Commissioner approval. It may be that a completely blunt item might not meet the definition of "Sword" ("Sword, being a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a long blade having 1 or 2 edges and a hilt or handle." - sch3 s47 Control of Weapons Regulations 2011 (Vic)), but you would have to check first. I certainly wouldn't risk bringing one in unless I was absolutely sure it was legal.

The Firearms and Weapons division of Victoria Police can be contacted at licensingservices@police.vic.gov.au

---
  • Options
    mandylionmandylion Registered User new member
    Got my ticket in the post today :) Eep, it's only 28 days away! So excited!
    I'm only planning one cosplay, as I can only attend on the Saturday.

I was planning to do the elf mage from Dragon Age Origins (based on this concept art by Jason Chan), for PAX.
    Have most of the materials, but haven't started yet...
    Mage2.jpg

If I don't finish that, I've got my Alice: Madness Returns Silk Maiden cosplay, which I wore last year at Supanova (Melb/Syd) and Manifest. Just need to finish detailing the handle of my vorpal blade.
    7829341624_c727ce4a3d.jpg
    Manifest 2012 by batasan, on Flickr

• Options
    vladauvladau Registered User new member
    Hi
    me and a few friends are planing on doing TF2 cosplays for the weekend, but we are not sure if we will be allowed in with our props, so i wanted to check here before we turn up on the day.
    we plan on bringing the props in the pictures below (rocket launcher is not finished yet but will be before pax) will we be allowed in?

tumblr_md4aipm1Tb1rck2kgo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m8zqy5Kstx1rck2kgo1_1280.jpg
    400px-Soldier_Rocket_Launcher.jpg

• Options
    NeenerNeener Registered User regular
    Those should be okay, I think... I mean, they look cartoony and not really realistic, right? ._.

• Options
    Those look fine to me.

• Options
    vladauvladau Registered User new member
    thanks, i would hate to turn up and be told that i could not enter because of them.

• Options
    Ae'SilverAe'Silver Registered User new member
    Hey, does anyone know if an un-strung longbow will be a problem?
    By unstrung, I mean I will actually take the sting off so there's no chance of firing anything.
    Im just asking because it isn't a toy bow or a costume thing, it's my actual bow I use.
    But yes, again, there wont be any string.

Thanks heaps!
    :]

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That shouldn't be an issue, as far as I know.

• Options
    Unstrung will be no problem

• Options
    intrasonicintrasonic Registered User new member
    In relation to toy guns not being allowed if "It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)", would something like these be okay?

474135_368699146495934_181022882_o.jpg

471936_432051673494014_1061274403_o.jpg

• Options
    No.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Also if you are outside of australia you would probably not even get those threw customs...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    intrasonicintrasonic Registered User new member
    I'm located in Australia and those are battery operated toys that have been painted. They don't shoot anything, they just make sounds and have flashing lights. Those pics aren't of my own toys, but I was hoping to paint up my own Hello Kitty style toy to bring along. So are you guys saying that something like that is too realistic?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    intrasonic wrote: »
    I'm located in Australia and those are battery operated toys that have been painted. They don't shoot anything, they just make sounds and have flashing lights. Those pics aren't of my own toys, but I was hoping to paint up my own Hello Kitty style toy to bring along. So are you guys saying that something like that is too realistic?

AaronC is the authority on that matter, and that is precisely what he is saying.

Thing is, there's plenty of real guns that people do that to, and those are replica models, even if they're plastic toys.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    They will not be allowed.

Regardless of the paint job or theme they look to much like real guns. The fact they do not fire anything is not a consideration on the decision.

• Options
    RoxyRoxy Registered User new member
    Would this be allowed?

It will be made out of EVA foam. Just wondering if I continue making it in time for PAX or if I should make something else if this one isn't allowed.

2013-06-27_00002_zps4c4c6b5e.jpg

• Options
    marz_1982marz_1982 Registered User regular
    The first item I've made (ever) for a cosplay outfit... Guess what I'm doing? :D

7FqFL6z.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it came out, I wasn't going for perfect but I think it's pretty cool :P Now to get the rest of it ready, might be a bit harder since I have zero sewing skills. Oh well, before this I had zero bead-work skills, so yay!

• Options
    Roxy wrote: »
    Would this be allowed?

It will be made out of EVA foam. Just wondering if I continue making it in time for PAX or if I should make something else if this one isn't allowed.

It's clearly not a real gun, or based on a real gun, so yes it will be fine.

• Options
    Is this sword ok to get in?

01RzmsF.jpg

• Options
    Is it sharp? What is it made from?

I don't mean to be snark people, but lets be honest. I can't tell from pictures if it meets the rules or not. I apologize for getting a bit frustrated. Please read the original post and if you still have questions let me know. Remember, fake swords are ok!

The only things that aren't allowed under PAX Rules are things that look like real guns, things that are still capable of shooting a projectile and sharp / pointy things.

If your sword doesn't have a sharp edge it will be fine.

• Options
    HubboHubbo Indie Developer MelbourneRegistered User new member
    Would it be too dodgy to come as a character from your own game? :-)

This will be my first cosplay as well. Glad to see the cosplay alive and kicking at the recent OZ ComicCon. I'm going along the lines of a ninja type character:

Hero-masked.png

I wanted to have the katana a little more realistic than some of the prop swords you can buy. So I bought all the pieces for a real sword including the scabbard/saya but excluding the actual blade, with the idea of glueing/joining the handle directly to the scabbard/saya. I thought this might be best to give a great look but also avoid any issues with having pointy bits :)

katana-pieces.jpg

Only problem now is I decided to change the fuchi, but I'm not skilled enough to finish the wrapping on the handle. So if anybody knows anybody in Melbourne that can do Tsukamaki please let me know!

• Options
    KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    Seems I will be ready on time too! Last thing is to drop by Akihabara to get the glasses. Y'all see a tall Brit strolling around dressed as Narukami Yu, come say hi :D

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • Options
    protowilsonprotowilson Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    edited July 2013
    So glad to see that there'll be other TF2 cosplayers! If you see us, come say hi!
    For the record, I'm guessing I won't be able to take the flamethrower inside, and I have an imitation fireaxe made of wood that I can tote instead.

mod edit: removed image embed, > 500k

http://25.media.tumblr.com/528f119be992acf08b38eeb54683762d/tumblr_mldpi9xxPU1qhyho6o3_1280.jpg

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    That is some heroic cosplay effort, hope to see you on the floor!

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Flamethrower looks fine to me. It's clearly not real.

• Options
    FuzzyPredatorFuzzyPredator MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Yay!!! My outfit arrived! Going as Ezio :P

• Options
    leesingaleesinga Registered User new member
    Okay here's my question.
    i've got a saturday pass and a cosplay outfit.
    recently noticed the "cos we can" cosplay event is held on sunday?
    will cosplay dress up be accepted on all days or am i going to be the idiot shirt less in a traditional lee sin cosplay?
    really apreciate some insight thanks!

• Options
    Cosplay is fine on any day.

• Options
    alysaelalysael Registered User new member
    Wow...!! I just joined the PAX Forums to see how big the turn up will be (cosplayers-wise) at PAX Aus, and I'm so happy to find this thread!

I'm really looking forward for next weekend! (Meanwhile, I'm going to go back to sewing my cosplays ahha..... I've only finished 1/4 cosplays I've got planned for PAX haha >A<!)

So excited to see everyone's cosplays :D

League Team: www.facebook.com/InterstellarGaming
This discussion has been closed.