As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This is the Ryan Davis page headline on his Giant Bomb wiki page now
    Ryan Davis was a former GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Was not mean.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I swear to Christ, if I wake up tomorrow and Ryan's wife is pregnant I am going to lose it.

i had this very same thought.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Someone please explain nanner's tweet to me please

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I had a weird dream last night about how the community got together, globally, and everyone took a picture of themselves in dark attire with a printout of the artwork up at thanksryan.com, and there were thousand of them which made up a giant mosaic of Ryan's face

it was super cheesy but made me feel fuzzy inside

Also the scenario changed from people to lit candles somehow. Dreams.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    :<

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Let us all remember Ryan by ska dancing to one of his favorite ska jams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

Also, Ryan's dad is on Twitter and just posted a photo of Naked baby Ryan. I have seen Ryan Davis' dick.

He has truly beaten us all, even in death.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Ryan left GameSpot along with Brad Shoemaker, Vinny Caravella, and Alex Navarro soon after Jeff Gerstmann was let go in the infamous "Gerstmanngate" incident of 2007. Ryan soon started a blog titled "Arrow Pointing Down," where he and Jeff recorded a podcast. In early 2008, Ryan began teasing Giant Bomb. It's a website. About video games. It's a video game website. About video games. And pancakes. Also, anime.

no...

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    I swear to Christ, if I wake up tomorrow and Ryan's wife is pregnant I am going to lose it.

While the timing would be absolutely awful and it's a shame for any child to grow up not knowing a biological parent

I'd have a hard time looking at that as bad news

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    comments on the Microsoft reverses DRM news: 787
    comments on the news of Ryan's passing: 5261 and counting

holy shit

well yeah

who gives a shit about corporations and policy when we had a living person taken from us

yeah i mean, that's totally a testament to ryan

the xbox thing was the biggest news thing giant bomb ever broke, and set all sorts of traffic records for them, bringing in tons of people outside of the site's readership

but it's all a drop in the bucket in the face of the outpouring of support from today. i'm genuinely floored by just how far-reaching ryan's loss was felt, scrolling through twitter briefly i was surprised several times seeing the names of some people i had no idea liked giant bomb, let alone had such respect for ryan. it's astounding what a consistent impression he made on people.

i'm gonna miss him a lot.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

While the timing would be absolutely awful and it's a shame for any child to grow up not knowing a biological parent

I'd have a hard time looking at that as bad news

I think Ryan mentioned a few times that he had been dating his Beyonce/wife for about 10 years, but I don't know if they ever had kids in the plan. Certainly not outspoken, known to us random strangers plans, like Patrick.

I originally wrote that sentence above in present tense, and had to go change it.

It's still weird to me.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

oh, christ

I need to drink this beer faster

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    This is the Ryan Davis page headline on his Giant Bomb wiki page now
    Ryan Davis was a former GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Was not mean.

Yeah, Jeff changed that personally. ;-;

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    W0PWDky.png

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My sister works at a private school and one of her students' parents showed up on my twitter feed offering condolences and talking about times they shared drinks, because he works for 343.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so

robots!

• Options
    W0PWDky.png

RIP in the coffee....

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
  • Options
    oh man, I got a reply from John Drake on twitter from telling him to keep it real

johntdrake ‏@johntdrake 58m

@TheSpookiest THE REALEST. I WILL BE KEEPING IT THE REALEST. IN SUMMERJAMS AND EVERYTHING ELSE. :)

I fuckin love this guy

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Dave Lang wrote something
    About Ryan

I’m typically not someone who gets drawn up in public displays of emotion. I’m generally more of the “deal with it quietly while drinking" sort, but so far that hasn’t really worked out.

A lot has already been written and said about Ryan, so I’ll just get right to it and lay out the two thoughts I can’t escape from:

Thing 1: When I first started regularly interfacing with the press I was horrible at it (as I type this I can hear Ryan saying “Waassss horrible?"). I was stiff, nervous, and utterly dull. I’d get done with an interview, listen to it, and be completely displeased with how I represented myself and my company. But what option did I have? I couldn’t actually just be me, right? I’d say something really dumb and make people hate me or the company, and I couldn’t risk that. Only a crazy person would do such a thing.

Then one day I had a thought: “Hey, dummy, all that stuff you’re terrified of, well Ryan does that all the time and for the most part people love that dude." After several mental attempts at derailing this logic, I decided to be sincere and not soften my personality in public. In essence I decided to be more like Ryan. I decided to be genuine in what I say and how I say it. I decided to let people get to know me. If nothing else I’m happier with how the interviews turn out now. Thanks, Ryan.

Thing 2: The military has a term for things that enhance the ability of their troops in the field, they call these things “force multipliers." A force multiplier can be anything…a technology, a skill set, a weather condition…so long as it makes your fighting force more effective than your opponent. An example would be elevation in a ranged skirmish. The geographic features are a force multiplier for the elevated units.

Ryan, and indeed the whole Giant Bomb crew, are Friend Multipliers. I met so many awesome people through them, people I consider dear friends, that I wouldn’t have met otherwise. Ryan and the Giant Bomb guys accepting me as a friend was a good enough credentials check for the rest of their crew to accept me with open arms. So now I’ve got a lot more awesome friends. Thanks, Ryan.

It’s hard to praise Ryan in a bubble. So much of what made Ryan, Ryan was the way he is woven into the fabric of what Giant Bomb is. It’s almost impossible to separate his contributions from those of Jeff, Brad, Patrick, Vinny, or Drew. Because of this a lot of the thanks for Thing 1 and Thing 2 go to those guys as well. I’m not thanking them now, though, because next time I see them those motherfuckers are getting the biggest hugs of their goddamned lives.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

What if its... um

the opposite?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Don't think I'll be finishing speed racer tonight. Just too distracted. Need to get some sleep or will be useless tomorrow

Everyone have a good night. Get some ice cream or something that'll help cheer you up. I had a piece of cake a while ago with some strawberries, it helped.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

What if its... um

the opposite?

if you mean what i think you mean

god damn that would be fucking grim.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Ryan Davis seems like the kind of guy that was built to have his life celebrated rather than mourned.

With that said, what a bunch of bullshit to wake up to this morning. He was clearly a cool dude.

• Options
    Ryan Davis seems like the kind of guy that was built to have his life celebrated rather than mourned.

With that said, what a bunch of bullshit to wake up to this morning. He was clearly a cool dude.

This is why John Drake has kept me happy today

He has been bubbling over with a level of joy that would make Ryan Davis proud

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, guys, can we not speculate on things that would make the news even worse?

• Options
    0TYqsTP.jpg

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Anyways, just judging from her twitter after that bit from earlier, I think she just had a fresh batch of grief.

• Options
    Jeff needs to grow that mustache for reals

• Options
    That picture has actually been my Mac and PS3 wallpaper for some time

I went ahead and made it my Facebook cover pic today

• Options
    When my grandpa died it didn't really hit me that hard because he was a 95 year old man and had lived a long, full life. Even when he died, he did it in a pretty great way. He died in his car, in front of his house, after putting it in park. Because that's how a chemical engineer dies in his tenth decade of life.

When my uncle died, it fucked me up because it was so sudden and he was much younger than my grandpa. He also wasn't a grandpa, he was always full of life and joking around. He owned a Porsche. He had a goatee. Then he up and died. And, as shocking as it was, at the wake I realized, we should get drunk on expensive wine, eat too much food, and have a bunch of laughs, because that was the way he lived his life. As sad as his death was, he didn't lead a sad life.

This isn't at all as serious to me as that, but I think about what I learned from those experiences, so I'm going to drink some bad beer, watch some dumb videos, and laugh a bunch, because that's the sort of thing he'd want us to do. That's the sort of thing he'd want our dumb butts to be enjoying.

I mean, I guess.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Oi anime experts, is Mardock Scramble worth a look?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Daniel Day-Lewis wishes he could pull off a handlebar 'stache like Vinny does

• Options
  • Options
    GUYS

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Get on Twitter and tweet @This_Year and let them know you'd like to see a Ryan Davis tribute
    This Year Collection ‏@This_Year 3h
    I'll happily put one together if people are interested. Tweet and let me know. RT: @aaronistweeting will we get a Ryan Davis Tribute?

• Options
    GUYS

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Get on Twitter and tweet @This_Year and let them know you'd like to see a Ryan Davis tribute
    This Year Collection ‏@This_Year 3h
    I'll happily put one together if people are interested. Tweet and let me know. RT: @aaronistweeting will we get a Ryan Davis Tribute?

Twittered

• Options
    I just realized that, aside from grabbing something to eat, I haven't moved from my chair all day

Ugh

I'm actually kinda glad to be going back to work tomorrow

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I am 100% legit scared of sleeping.

It is almost impossible for me to sleep a normal schedule because I can't stop thinking. That is just one of the most frightening concepts in the world to me, probably because I equate the absence of active thought with death, or a death-like state. Hearing about people passing away in their sleep only exacerbates this.

This probably wouldn't be so bad if I actually dreamed/remembered my dreams, but this literally happens once every 6 months or so, and it is always some horrible monstrosity of all my failures and self-doubts that I have waken up vomiting.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i'm not scared of sleeping but i am extremely paranoid about oversleeping

to the point where i really can't get a good night's sleep when i have to get up early because i'll spend all night checking and double-checking that the alarm is set and then checking it some more because maybe i accidentally turned it off the last time i checked it

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i love sleep to the extent that i have a problem waking myself up by getting excited when i realize i am drifting off to sleep

UmPiq.png
This discussion has been closed.