As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Just imagine the thousands of beers that have been poured all over the ground in the last 24 hours.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    F*cking Joseph Kahn. :)
    Whoa I just found out @taswell passed away. He sent me so many nice tweets about TORQUE. Cheered me up. Really appreciated. I will miss him.

I think Ryan would have loved this.

A little confused as to the relevance of Joseph Kahn (and why he's referred to as "Fucking" Joseph Kahn?), or the linked ad?

He directed the movie Torque.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    There was a non-GB podcast/video Ryan did with some Gamespot guys around the time they went to CBSi that was great fun to watch. He was basically there to hear them speculate about certain things, and then he would completely tear them apart. Wish I could find it, but I'm not completely sure how to locate it at the moment.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Ryan and Jeff had(have) an unhealthy love of the movie Torque.

It's pretty funny.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ryan's father has been tweeting out pictures of him as a kid today. Right in the feels. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm listening to the last Bombcast, from the day before Ryan passed, and Brad said something a little unfortunate.
    When discussing changing the format, Brad said "Next time Ryan's not here, let's do e-mails first."

:(

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    There was a non-GB podcast/video Ryan did with some Gamespot guys around the time they went to CBSi that was great fun to watch. He was basically there to hear them speculate about certain things, and then he would completely tear them apart. Wish I could find it, but I'm not completely sure how to locate it at the moment.

If you search Ryan Davis on youtube, it's still the top result.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h9rNzcI5g4

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    http://hollywoodlife.com/

This is perfect.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    so Patrick Klepeck just tweeted, "Podcast."

depressing episode incoming

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's amazing, I can't screen cap it right now but someone should.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

This is perfect.

Crammed in between Kanye&Kim's baby, and Miley Cyrus' lip balm.

Truly, in death as in life.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That's amazing, I can't screen cap it right now but someone should.

For posterity.

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-09%20at%209.07.38%20PM.png

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

This is perfect.

pretty amazing

edit: the gallery of pics is like whoa

Ah_Pook on
  • either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    It's super short but this is one of my favourite Ryan bombcast moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtXTT9_WXY

You can't ask Ryan to control the clown.

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Zxerol wrote: »
    so Patrick Klepeck just tweeted, "Podcast."

depressing episode incoming

They must push through it though. It seems like they are leaning on Patrick's stuff, the Throwdown, and Unprofessional Fridays this week and the rest is retrospectives.

It is going to be weird though.

Krathoon on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'll admit, I didn't consume nearly as much GB as I should have, but Ryan Davis was still easily recognizable as awesome. RIP man, you left the world a better place for a lot of people.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    I'm shocked any content is going up this week, to be honest.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular

This is perfect.

I love that it's filed under "Home > Ryan Davis"

THEY MADE A CATEGORY

steam_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »
    I'm shocked any content is going up this week, to be honest.
    Nothing. Stops. The. Bombcast.

steam_sig.png
    Oh god, the image they used for this podcast. Now I'm sad again and I haven't even started the podcast.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    And the podcast starts out with Jeff talking about the new e-shop releases, because of course it does. :cry:

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    And the podcast starts out with Jeff talking about the new e-shop releases, because of course it does. :cry:

That's what happens when you don't have Ryan to lay down the law, Jeff gets drunk off the power and reboots the NDX.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    In case you can't see the cover photo for this week's bombcast here's it without the cassette stuff.
    0B3LknU.jpg

Kanden on
    Popping open a hard cider for this.

• sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    Ohh that podcast was brutal half way through I had to start mixing vodka in with my root beer. I will always miss Ryan Davis, the guy was a huge influence on me and was one of the reasons I got into video game journalism. A lot of the things I do when hosting my podcast I got from years of listening to Ryan on Giantbomb. Not only that, I have been listening to the Bombcast since 5-13-2008 during the end of my sophomore year of high school. Ryan and crew got me through some bad times in my life. Ryan I only met you once at PAX Prime 2012 but you were an inspiration and I am going to miss you every tuesday.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-f2y1QC_yg"]youtube.com/watch?v=e-f2y1QC_yg[/url]

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This was an incredible celebration from Ryans closest friends.

Jeff's "Thanks Ryan" at the end really makes it sink in.

Really feels like I've lost a close friend.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Idle Thumbs pushed out this week's episode today (Tuesday) in light of the news. It wasn't entirely focused on him but they opened it and closed it on him and a sort of farewell.

I went back and listened to Idle Thumbs episode 107, which is from when the XBox One was revealed - Ryan Davis was a guest. And it was a great episode. It's still worth listening to.

Fuck, they got my waterworks going with the end of that podcast.

God dammit, I was hoping that would cheer me up.

Crazy the way the universe works, the last time everyone seen him he was at his happiest and sounds like most if not all of them got a 1 on 1 personal moment with him to remember.

I do not envy Jeff though not one bit.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    There's not enough amusement and enthusiasm in the world, and there's a little less of it now. It's something of a comfort to know how universally Ryan was loved, and that everybody seems to be holding up as well as they're able, but damn. I'll miss him.

From how they talked about him, he sounds way more integral to the tone and credibility of Giant Bomb than I had previously thought. With Patrick no longer full time, I wonder how they're going to proceed in the future.

edited July 2013
    From how they talked about him, he sounds way more integral to the tone and credibility of Giant Bomb than I had previously thought. With Patrick no longer full time, I wonder how they're going to proceed in the future.

Thankfully the game press crew is really tight knit and I think finding someone who can put their own spin on stuff will be a hard (emotionally) but not impossible task. Especially since GB is such a fluid place to work.

Also suck that he lost his feel for writing, but explains the missing AC3 and God of War reviews.

bloodyroarxx on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I just finished the podcast. Just. Goddamnit. I truly wish I could tell Ryan thanks for what hes done. I have listened to every single bombcast (I did data entry at work, 5-6 hours a night of podcasts) and the entertainment that man generated. Just.. fuck.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

I'm hoping Patrick Skype's into the show. I used to hate the guy but for the last year or so, I've found his love of indie and niche games (niche as in games like 999) a refreshing change.

Ryan's death still hasn't really sunk in. I guess it might when I listen to the new Bombcast in a couple of hours but it might take another couple of weeks. It was just so easy to take for granted that those 4-5 guys would sit around a table every week and talk shit for 3 hours, while I listened to them. Still wish my initial thought of "oh great, a dumb tasteless joke" was true.

But on the bright side, I think Ryan would get a HUGE kick out of this:
    izQJMhlcNLD9o.png

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I've been trying to figure out why Ryan's death hit me so hard. I mean, I've been a fan of GB since it was briefly Arrow Pointing Down, and it only took a few episodes for the Bombcast to become my del facto source of news. I'd quit reading reviews for the most part because the guys talking about a game was more than enough for me to know if I'd like it or not. But I never met the man, never talked with him, so I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I had tears rolling down my face reading the thread. But I've thought about it and I think I've worked it out.

There's a child-like quality to what they do, and especially in how they all seem to love it, that speaks to a lot of us. They play video games and goof around with their friends all day and never seem to forget that it's just about the coolest job in the world, and we get to share in some of that. It's like Ryan and the guys are Peter Pan and we're the Lost Boys following along in whatever adventure they've got planned. But Peter Pan isn't supposed to die.

Thanks Ryan. I never met you, but you made me smile when I was low, and for that I'll be eternally grateful.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Yep, I cried at that picture. I lost someone close a ways back and that just flooded me with that imagery. I've only managed to listen to a few minutes of the podcast so far.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Okay, yeah, I was wrong about it taking a couple of weeks. Drew audibly breaking down just destroyed me and I'm only halfway through.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was walking through the city late last year drifting in and out of shops trying to pass a few hours in any conceivable way. Scrolled through available podcasts and started listening to the Giant Bombcast.

Was hooked from that moment, he drew me in. Past couple of months I've listened back through all of the podcasts from the past 3.5 years. It was quickly apparent how funny and skilled the dude was at speaking and entertaining. I will miss having the privilege of listening to him every week.

Through and through seemed like a great human being.

Standing ovation to the Giant Bomb crew for putting together a podcast this week, very emotional and hard hitting. And for being outstanding people. Bless you.

Thank you Ryan Davis.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.