As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Noah's Art Camp] AC Group of supreme organization.

1235»

• KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    F87 I don't know what you know so far, but you might be interested in this blog, it's super awesome for getting down the basics of gesture: Rad's How to

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    F87 wrote: »
    Nice work, Fug.

I was hoping the link to the figure video would have been fixed / re-mailed. I never actually watched it because I couldn't find it. : \

Still, I did some figure gesture/sketches:

week8_figure_gestures.png

week8_figure_studies.png

The email I got had the correct link in the banner (which gmail blocks unless I click the "display images" thing), but not the "Watch the 2 hour demo" button.

I went ahead an PM'd you the video link.

Anyway, this week's lesson sounds like it might be the first time I'm actually on top of the assignment, since half of it is stuff I do in my free time, and half of it is stuff I do for freelance work anyway, so heck yes.

Fugitive on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    @Kallisti - Nice link, I will check it out. After the camp, I plan on doing another self-portrait, some master studies, more plein air and now some more gestures! Lots to do.

Thanks @Fugitive, I appreciate it. I'm excited about concept week as well!

The demo video this time was pretty awesome. I tried out the word association/thumbnails!

week9_concept.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm thinking about calculating the ridiculous amount of shit we were supposed to do over the course and make a end of the year deadline for myself, seeing how much of each thing I can complete before then. Anyone want to try with me?

Yeah I could maybe do that.

I was kind of planning on just incorporating as many of these studies into my daily routine as possible, which has basically been my practice since the class began

But maybe it would be more goal-oriented to also set a finish line for some of the assignments since I almost definitely wouldn't do some of those otherwise (example: almost definitely not going to do any plein airs of my own volition)

There's no way I'm going to accomplish his weekly goals in weekly timelines, but I really want to hold myself to continuing these studies. Its kinda what I want to do in the enrichment threads, but I also like making those threads really accessible to different types of artists, and art camp is pretty much focused exclusively on digital painters.

I can make a wall of people still trying to accomplish they goals, and subsequently you can "turn-in" relevant work in a slow trickle, but hopefully keeping the art camp thread alive will remind us that we paid for someone to pressure us to do this.

• mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Hello everyone! I just found out about this art camp, and after reading through the thread decided to sign up.
    I know it's late in the game but I felt it was good medicine to get me back studying properly.

I've got a quick question though. How does Noah send out links to his earlier videos and assignments? After making the payment I received a confirmation email from Paypal and a link from Noah with a free video for signing up for his mailing list, but nothing regarding the art camp itself. There doesn't seem to be a link on his website for those who signed up either. Is there something that I should be doing, or should I wait for further contact?

There's a webpage floating around with all of the current videos and supplementary materials, but I have no idea how to access the link since it doesn't appear that he includes it with the latest videos.

I might send him an email or facebook message if nothing comes across your inbox within the next few days.

Thanks for the feedback!
    After checking in my inbox a couple hours later, a message with the proper links had been sent. Now to get to work~

• KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    The demo video this time was pretty awesome. I tried out the word association/thumbnails!

Could you explain the word association process? I'm intrigued..

I may have missed/fudged some numbers here, but check this out. Every time he threw in a extra master study, color study, or imagined sketch, I just threw it into their overall totals:
    Full List of the assignments from artcamp (totals)

50 3-value compositional master studies
    90 color studies From the masters
    12 Full color, finished Master Copies

20 still life color studies.
    8 full-color still life paintings. Fully finished paintings.

63 Imagined sketches

20 quick Self portrait block-ins. Take 15-20 minutes and do a block in of the whole face

4 full-color, finished self-portraits

20 pages of plein air drawings

10 plein air paintings

30 photo studies

10 metal studies
    5 fur studies
    5 full landscape studies
    5 your-choice material studies

50 gesture drawings
    5 full-figure studies
    4 pages of drawings of strangers
    8 hand or foot studies

20 word-lists

Build reference library

Its somewhere near 420 drawings/sketches, though only 24ish of those were supposed to be "finished". Personally, I'm going to retool these totals to better fit my personal needs (Focus on master studies/landscapes/photo, I don't really need to be assigned imaginative sketches, I tend to do them anyway)

• skyturtleskyturtle Registered User regular
    Not sure if you guys saw it, Noah announced on the FB group that he'll rerun the camp in winter with the same materials free for people who paid for summer. Check out the fb group for more info.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Some concept stuff I did this week:

week9_concept2.png

week9_concept3.png

week9_concept4.png

I can't believe we are on week 10 already.

Edit:
    Guys!  Someone else needs to post some art on this page! C'mon!

Thumbnails! I did a set of studies and a set of my own. These are a lot of fun and way more enjoyable when I actively try to use few values.

week10_comp_study.png

week10_thumbnails.png

My imaginative ones aren't as interesting as I'd like. I need more creative focal points. I also may try the abstract thumbnail method at some point.

F87 on
  • BegforrainBegforrain Registered User regular
    I'm way late to this party. WEEK 1

tumblr_msoq19iLa11ryrwkio1_1280.png

edited September 2013
    Just some quick observations

Make sure your values are being kept in check. Particularly in your landscape master studies, your brightest brights are going almost completely white, much brighter than the pieces you're working from. Similarly, your colors are getting preeetty close in most places, but again, you've got some spots that need a bit of extra work. I'd advise you to make sure you're getting those as close as possible. For instance, in the bottom right study, you've put a lot of pink around the cloud that is actually more of an orange/peach in the actual piece. In the top right piece, the area directly below the clouds is depicted as a sort of orange-ish yellow, whereas your study has a sort of mottle of pinks and yellows and dull oranges.

It might be useful to take a bit of extra time to really dial in those values and colors to be as accurate to the source as possible. It will take longer, but it will go a long way towards training your eyes.

Fugitive on
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Fug. I think I'm kind of in the same place you were in that these are taking me way longer than I think they're supposed to be taking and while I can see some colors I've chosen are just plain wrong, I sort of abandon them in an attempt to get quicker. But that's probably the wrong way of going about it. Here's s'more!

tumblr_msxa65YcaO1ryrwkio1_1280.png

First longer master study.

tumblr_mtr6fiA6kV1ryrwkio1_1280.png

ref
    4032_o_albert_bierstadt___the_yosimite_valley_zps9287cfb7.jpg

More color studies!
    tumblr_mtr6dqa6wf1ryrwkio1_1280.png

Bro, your killing it! Looks awesome. Keep it up.

Do you notice any improvements? Are you taking the time to think about what you are struggling with, and where you need to focus your attention?

Thanks!

I think I'm definitely getting the hang of how colors interact with each other and the longer study really helped me see the steps towards taking a thumbnail to a more refined level. That being said I think I still struggle when it gets down to the nitty gritty detail rendering, so I think I'll be more patient about that on the next one. As long as I keep pushing myself out of the comfort zone with these assignments I think it'll become more apparent to me where I should be diverting my efforts.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah, uh....dang, @Begforrain. Those studies are awesome - and your color perception is really, really good!

Thanks for saying so! I really dig the colors in your work so it's a huge compliment!

Here's my second master study, but I kind of ran out of steam at the end because I've been on Week 1 for wayy too long. tumblr_mub3gy3q3x1ryrwkio1_r1_1280.png

and the ref:
    tumblr_mub5orZ7ZN1skc99to1_1280.png

Nice! Makes me want to get back to master studies after November.

Noah has since come around to the idea of doing different tracks/schedules for people who have jobs, So I wouldn't get too caught up on the time its taking you. Its more important for you to do it at a pace that you are absorbing as much as possible. Its good not to dwell on the master studies and mix in the other assignments, though, especially the observation ones.

I'm still working on these slowly due to working full time ^_^;; Currently somewhere in between self-portraits and landscapes, but decided I needed to go back and try another master study:

Thomas+Moran+master+study_a_smaller.jpg

Couldn't quite finish it, but spent too much time as it is already and I need to move on to the next thing. However, I feel that it definitely was time worth spent.
    Also, Thomas Moran was a color theory monster.

• sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Camp starts again 6th November. I'm thinking of doing it this time around. Would you guys who have done it recommend it overall? It seems you have produced some really good work as a result.

• sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    OK well I've signed up! If noone else is doing it this time round I'll probably post in my own thread to more easily track the phenomenal improvement haha.

I'll be doing the assignments, but I don't know how well I'll be able to keep up with a full time job. Last time around the amount of work he was giving out was just too much overall.

@sampangolin

Shit, I totally thought I responded to that post but I guess I forgot. I was going to suggest you hang back and wait for the new spring session, as hes planning to retool it to be better, and hopefully get off of facebook. That being said, I think you'll enjoy the session. You can totally post in here and in your own thread, if you want.

I may try and to a master study or two as the winter session rolls through, 'cause fuck it, I know I should.

• BoomSamsonBoomSamson Registered User regular
    Anyone have a good site for Old Master paintings that I could do Week 1's Master Studies??

http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/user-gallery-edit/paintings-for-master-studies-large-collection/5wJiuReWxKvTJA?projectId=art-project&position=0,26

Heres my giant collection. I suggest using google art project or wiki paintings to find a work you like, then just google image searching that painting itself to find the best version.