As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    god im like 10 minutes into this podcast and i dont know if i can handle this today

• MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Ya, it gets easier to listen to as it rolls on. There is some healing going on, but it is still pretty painful for these folks.

Laughs are still had.

steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Made it through the Bombcast.

I honestly smiled and even laughed through it, those guys clearly loved Ryan. Though when they're audibly fighting through tears and emotion, man that was rough (specially as the birthday of my brother who passed away 3 years ago is still fresh on my mind).

Still, I can only hope that when I go, people will share the sort of stories that those guys told about Ryan. He seemed like a great person.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    man that podcast was really good. parts of it are brutal though.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I still have Ryan's final podcast to listen to, followed by last week's. I'm traveling in a few weeks and I have a feeling I'd prefer not to listen to this latest one while on a plane or train. Gonna need some private time for that one.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    If his cause of death does turn out to be something weight related (i.e apnea or heart attack), I hope Giant Bomb and his family raise awareness of the importance of exercise and healthy eating for gamers. Hopefully even the speculation has encouraged some people to take better care of themselves.

fwKS7.png?1
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It still bothers me that people are speculating that he died because of his weight. We have no clue, and people are using the opportunity to interject their personal views on weight. Give it a rest. Don't take every event as an excuse to waggle your finger at people.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    So they're of course under no obligation, but I gotta say that I was dissapointed that PA didn't make any mention of Ryan's passing.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I thought Ben wrote an article about it.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So they're of course under no obligation, but I gotta say that I was dissapointed that PA didn't make any mention of Ryan's passing.
    PAR did a few days back.

edited July 2013
    Ryan and Jeff had a great extended interview with Mike and Jerry at PAX a few years ago. I remember it being a great interview, and it was also interesting because they were being filmed by 2PP for the first season of the PA Show.

edit: Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwpPmnUqmA

SteevL on
    I know Ben did it, but let's face it, Mike and Jerry are the face of PA. Something in the front page would have been nice. Even if they didn't know the guy, this seems like a really huge moment that has touched tons of their fans and the gaming community at large.

Like I said, they're not under any obligation to do so and my annoyance is mostly irrational.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Is it just me being weird, or is the fact that Ryan won't ever get to play Hotline Miami 2 or Saints Row IV kinda sad?

Undead Scottsman on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    If his cause of death does turn out to be something weight related (i.e apnea or heart attack), I hope Giant Bomb and his family raise awareness of the importance of exercise and healthy eating for gamers. Hopefully even the speculation has encouraged some people to take better care of themselves.

Giant Bomb Quick Looks have showcased more physical activity than any other site that I've seen, thanks to their Kinect coverage. I don't give two shits about Kinect, but I'm always giddy when I see that a new Kinect video has been posted.

steam_sig.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Ryan and Jeff had a great extended interview with Mike and Jerry at PAX a few years ago. I remember it being a great interview, and it was also interesting because they were being filmed by 2PP for the first season of the PA Show.

edit: Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwpPmnUqmA

Thanks for posting that.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Is it just me being weird, or is the fact that Ryan won't ever get to play Hotline Miami 2 or Saints Row IV kinda sad?

Seriously the first thing i thought was how we wouldn't get to ever play a xbone or a ps4. I am still so crushed by this days later that this is the first I have been able to post about it. I was so forlorn the first day that my girlfriend kept asking me if I was OK. I didn't even really say much about it I just had that look on my face.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    The last five minutes of that podcast were fucking brutal.

On my way home, I just had another favorite Ryan memory pop into my head: their interview with the guy at the Speedtree booth at GDC 2010.

Starts at about 55 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw6_47sabKg

Also stay tuned for Ryan walking around inside a giant hamster ball equipped with a VR helmet, and later get "injected" with Zombrex.

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    The last five minutes of that podcast were fucking brutal.

Vinny getting choked up almost got me. That was a rough podcast.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I make a 2 hour drive every Saturday for work and that's usually when I listen to the Bombcast. This is gonna be a crappy Saturday.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    We have to lighten the mood in here, it's only appropriate.
    fudge_2.jpg

Spoilered for big-ass picture.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I know it's about Ryan and all, but "Chris Rock as Patrick" is the coup de grâce.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Personally, I loved Michael C. Hall as Drew. Can never unsee that, now.

4hNKbHH.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    How could they not have Will Smith as Will Smith?

Yeah, I've always thought Drew looked strikingly like him.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I know it's about Ryan and all, but "Chris Rock as Patrick" is the coup de grâce.

The expression on his face is what really sells it. "Hey man, I don't know, either."

steam_sig.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I feel privileged to have been able to listen to that podcast.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    61bfgup.png

steam_sig.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do we have a giant bomb thread in G&T?

I think we should make this a Giant Bomb thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Yeah, I've always thought Drew looked strikingly like him.

Drew was Dexter for Halloween a few years ago. Henley shirt, Miami PD badge, gloves, etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    On my way home, I just had another favorite Ryan memory pop into my head: their interview with the guy at the Speedtree booth at GDC 2010.

Also stay tuned for Ryan walking around inside a giant hamster ball equipped with a VR helmet, and later get "injected" with Zombrex.

It started as a sort of nudge nudge joke, but by god if they didn't stick with it year after year, checking in on SpeedTree and seeing what new games it was in.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

Geeze, even Pachter is getting a little choked up. :(

One thing I'm going to miss is how great a comedic pair Ryan and Jeff were. They worked incredible well off one-another, and some of the funniest bits of Giant Bomb was their dual improv.

It started as a sort of nudge nudge joke, but by god if they didn't stick with it year after year, checking in on SpeedTree and seeing what new games it was in.

I also forgot how Vinny posted a picture of a "dragon tree" as the first comment to that video on the GB site:

1301374-135_shot_detail_1.jpg

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Agreed. Why should SE++ have all the fun? :)

Is TotalBiscuit worthy of its own thread? His new FPS video is pretty good.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Good call, thread title updated. Let's keep it moving folks, lots of Tuesdays coming up.

I can't believe Jeff drank two soda's in a row in that soda challenge they have on the front page right now. Ryan seemed crushed by one.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Vinny's hair is what weirds me out the most about that video.

Let's not make this thread as self-referential and exclusionary as the SE++ one, though. Please?

4hNKbHH.png
This discussion has been closed.