As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Let's not make this thread as self-referential and exclusionary as the SE++ one, though. Please?
    Let's not shit on other forums.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Let's not make this thread as self-referential and exclusionary as the SE++ one, though. Please?
    What does this even mean

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    ...yeah, we're entering weird meat dimensionidol-worshipping territory:

http://youtu.be/BOkI2BF7i2U

Best part? Vegan going on 14 months.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What does this even mean

Us gamers, am I right

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

Exclusionary? How so?

• Options
    The SE++ thread is exclusionary enough to have me as a regular

If I can fit in there, y'all will be fine

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Never mind, don't know what I meant.

Also, sorry SE++ thread, I'm not in a good headspace.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The SE++ thread just moves way too fast, so I've never bothered posting there.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Ugh, how is it that they they don't have a mobile site? Want to watch this on my phone but cant.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It still bothers me that people are speculating that he died because of his weight. We have no clue, and people are using the opportunity to interject their personal views on weight. Give it a rest. Don't take every event as an excuse to waggle your finger at people.

. . .still not seeing how thinking "It might have been weight related" is somehow seen as some personal attack or interjection of "lifestyle choice. . ." People speculate when they don't know. Just the way it is.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It still bothers me that people are speculating that he died because of his weight. We have no clue, and people are using the opportunity to interject their personal views on weight. Give it a rest. Don't take every event as an excuse to waggle your finger at people.

. . .still not seeing how thinking "It might have been weight related" is somehow seen as some personal attack or interjection of "lifestyle choice. . ." People speculate when they don't know. Just the way it is.

We've also been asked by Rorus not to speculate, so lets not do that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Haha, randomly came across this clip that I never witnessed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3nTf5s_zo

Ryan and Brad have no idea what just happened.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Wow the bombcast was pretty brutal at the end there. I didn't even know the guy existed before this week, but I almost cried. Funny how half the stories were about how much he smoke, drank, and ate.

Sounds like he packed a lot of living into the time he had.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    To be fair, I think very few of us would have people telling stories about that sick time we had next to one another on elliptical trainers at the gym.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Haha, randomly came across this clip that I never witnessed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3nTf5s_zo

Ryan and Brad have no idea what just happened.

I can't see the video, and I know which video this is exactly. Someone showed me the cake flush for the first time a few days ago, its not that literally funny, but every time they laugh, it makes you laugh too.

I feel bothered by this in a way I normally dont get bothered by people dying. And I wonder if its just my mind going "he just had so much more relevant/irrelevant things to say that I would have wanted to hear", and it makes me super sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Do we have a giant bomb thread in G&T?

I think we should make this a Giant Bomb thread.
    Agreed. Why should SE++ have all the fun? :)

Is TotalBiscuit worthy of its own thread? His new FPS video is pretty good.
    @Archsorcerer we have a general YouTube gaming show thread poking around somewhere.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    New mailbag:

http://youtu.be/sUVh_bc8Png

Look like UPF is still on. And apparently someone's running Cube World in the background.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hvq7InWUYIc
    Giant Bomb put up their own video of favorite Ryan moments.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The whole Grand Slam Tennis part around 16 minutes is awesome.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aw dammit, the slow-mo over soft music at the end got me. :(

• Options
    Ahahahah.. I just decided to subscribe to a year of giant bomb and I didn't realize there's
    Wacky thank you audio. I'm glad I got to hear it since it had Ryan in it.

• Options
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Look like UPF is still on.
    Scratch that:

mHoFDrf.png

They wiped the site schedule too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Makes sense. Apparently Patrick was going to do Spooking with Scoops but knew he'd have to talk about Ryan and didn't want to.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    They cancelled their PAX Aus appearance since it was supposed to be Jeff & Ryan.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    "Last week we asked you to show us you trying to suck your own cock."

That part and the Goodefellas segment, oh my God, I can't stop laughing.

I wasn't a Bombcast listener, so this didn't hit me. I mostly just browse GB's written content.

34 is far too young, and he clearly had just started his career. It's all the more cruel that he died on his honeymoon.

All the best to his widow, and anyone else left in grieving.

EDIT: I just watched the flower video, and thought I'd throw this out there:

Unless the bereaved people ask for it, it's usually best not to send gifts unless it's just money (which is almost always appreciated). A lot of the time it's just extra stuff that the family or coworkers have to deal with / find storage for / eventually toss out, and sometimes it's just a painful reminder that nothing will fill the void that just opened. Rarely does it make a bereaved person happier or ease the pain.

I know anyone who sends that has good intentions, and wants to do something for / give something to someone that just suffered a loss, but I really don't recommend that anyone sends flowers or stuffed animals or candy.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    People send them stuff all of the time - it's not unusual. I don't see a problem with flowers but a bunch of "sorry your friend died" stuffed animals would be a little strange to keep around.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They cancelled their PAX Aus appearance since it was supposed to be Jeff & Ryan.
    That's a shame.

I was going to ask if Ryan had ever been to Australia, but I don't think any answer would positively affect my mood, so I might as well not.

• Options
    My favorite part of that Ryan video is Vinny and Ryan annoying Dave with their Batman goon impressions.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I was going to come in here and talk about how Jeff's opinion (which I've recently discovered) on Yoshi's Island is terrible, but it seemly wholly inappropriate at the moment.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Jeff has a lot of terrible opinions. It's why we love him. He's the original Game Grump.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm just writing this out of my own greediness seeing as how I've experienced a lot of loss in the past year, ending with my mother-or maybe I just want to say something. I don't know, and I'm sorry if this is considered a bump for the sake of a bump. What I do know, is that the Giant Bomb crew was a part of my weekly life, even in the two years I didn't really play video games. I have a job that affords me the availability to listen to podcasts almost constantly, giant bombcast being one I looked forward to weekly. They were people I understood, that I nodded my head to in agreement and even shook my head at. They...were friends I had never met, but friends all the same. I was always excited for the podcast, even when not knowing what new games they were talking about because it always felt like they were people at my house just discussing...life.

He will be sorely missed, and it never quite hit home until I saw the flowers and gifts in that video because I know how it feels to receive those and how much it takes to not welt up with tears and to just let go and give in to that fear of tomorrow, of knowing the person you cared about will not be there tomorrow. I do hope this gets some people to hug their daughters closer, call their sister or brother or mother that they haven't spoken to in so long even if they don't quite get you or your chosen lifestyles or choices, but to just...talk to them.

• Options
    I was going to come in here and talk about how Jeff's opinion (which I've recently discovered) on Yoshi's Island is terrible, but it seemly wholly inappropriate at the moment.

That would have been tasteless.

Like Jeff.
    I love Jeff but how can anyone possibly dislike Super Metroid!

• Options

I loved that one podcast from a few weeks back when he discovers that Patrick likes Yoshi's Island and starts trying to argue with him, and then brings it up again out of nowhere like an hour later.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I loved that one podcast from a few weeks back when he discovers that Patrick likes Yoshi's Island and starts trying to argue with him, and then brings it up again out of nowhere like an hour later.

I appreciate his opinion on Nights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQnClqCSIfk

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I feel a little awkward whenever some asks me why I'm bummed. I say an entertainer I liked died, and of course nobody I know listens to the bombcast, so they don't know the name Ryan Davis. What they DO know is the video of the toilet cake that I made them watch awhile back, so I have to say "You know, the guy who dropped a cake into a toilet?"

I feel like I'm doing the man's body of work a discredit by describing him as such. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I feel a little awkward whenever some asks me why I'm bummed. I say an entertainer I liked died, and of course nobody I know listens to the bombcast, so they don't know the name Ryan Davis. What they DO know is the video of the toilet cake that I made them watch awhile back, so I have to say "You know, the guy who dropped a cake into a toilet?"

I feel like I'm doing the man's body of work a discredit by describing him as such. :)

He'd probably find it pretty funny to be described that way

• Options
    I think Ryan would be happy to know that his life's work is described that way.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    From Iron Galaxy's Twitch.tv chat:
    California Extreme Tribute to RYAN DAVIS:
    2515038-bpfpkz1ccaaof9l.jpg

Edit:
    The Giant Bomb Forum thread it was posted in.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Jeff is right about Yoshi's Island

All of you are the crazy ones!

UnbreakableVow on