As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Make a new thread already.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well, I wouldnt' have died if I had received more heals, so clearly it's the healers fault.
    And obviously I wouldn't be pulling agro if the tank was taunting everything, constantly, so clearly it's the tanks fault if anyone attacks me.
    And why should I use this Ion thingy when I do more damage with either of the other two options?
    Also, I wouldn't need a poop socket if the tank would just attack already. What are we waiting for?!? Fuckit! I'm going in...
    And why should I kill the wimpy weak/silver/gold/healers, when I can spend the entire fight hitting this big bad boy?

But in all honesty, I've been almost exclusively tanking lately, and that last one is the one I'm having the most problems with.
    The weakest enemies tend to be the last ones standing.
    I get that as a tank I can point at the enemy we are focusing fire on, and just watch the damage dealers go to town, while I throw out an occasional (aoe) taunt ... but not when the dps is jumping on the gold/champion first.
    It's like people don't read the the manual. ;)

I guess I don't understand how you can play through the normal progression of this game and not figure out that the kill order is: weaks->normals->silvers->golds->elites. Work in healers, if any are present.

They all do roughly equivalent damage, but the weaker ones die faster, so kill them first and massively cut down the enemy group's DPS!

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I completely get the urge to ignore the small adds*, especially if you're a marauder or someone who doesn't really have a gap closer, but honestly 1-2 shotting mobs is awesome.

*time spent traveling is less dps and we must always have moar dps.

I wish there was a way to convert classic coms jntl basic coms... I don't want to spend the 500k to craft one enhancement (on top of whatever else I'd need to spend for the cubes and elements). I get why they're slow to get, but it god damn it I need 2 enhancements and an implant and I'm bis until my guild starts doing NiM raids (which I fear we're starting tonight... We do 16 mans and HM TFB is already super hard because standing in circles is confusing and yet these are the people we're taking into NiM S&V).

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Well, I wouldnt' have died if I had received more heals, so clearly it's the healers fault.
    And obviously I wouldn't be pulling agro if the tank was taunting everything, constantly, so clearly it's the tanks fault if anyone attacks me.
    And why should I use this Ion thingy when I do more damage with either of the other two options?
    Also, I wouldn't need a poop socket if the tank would just attack already. What are we waiting for?!? Fuckit! I'm going in...
    And why should I kill the wimpy weak/silver/gold/healers, when I can spend the entire fight hitting this big bad boy?

But in all honesty, I've been almost exclusively tanking lately, and that last one is the one I'm having the most problems with.
    The weakest enemies tend to be the last ones standing.
    I get that as a tank I can point at the enemy we are focusing fire on, and just watch the damage dealers go to town, while I throw out an occasional (aoe) taunt ... but not when the dps is jumping on the gold/champion first.
    It's like people don't read the the manual. ;)

I guess I don't understand how you can play through the normal progression of this game and not figure out that the kill order is: weaks->normals->silvers->golds->elites. Work in healers, if any are present.

They all do roughly equivalent damage, but the weaker ones die faster, so kill them first and massively cut down the enemy group's DPS!
    ... and cut down on the number of enemies the tank has to peal off our healer.

But I'll admit it took me a little too long to be able to quickly identify/recognize/remember healers.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I'll admit that when I'm on certain specs I don't always focus weaks first. Dot specs like watchman/saboteur/balance are kind of wasted on dudes that will die before your skills really get rolling, so I usually dot up the Elites/Champs and either AOE the little guys or kill them with stunning skills like Project or Blade Storm.

But all my friends that have never MMO'd seriously before absolutely get tunnel vision and aim their face for the biggest baddest dude while his little friends bumrush the healer. So I understand why Pugs do it too.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey @PreciousBodilyFluids I don't know if you're still interested in it, but a while ago you asked where you could get the chestpiece that Hunter from the Imperial agent story wears. Well it wasn't in the game before, but it is now: It's called the Revered Chronicler's Jacket. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the way you unlock that set is by collecting all the Encrypted Datacubes (there are 8 of them that randomly drop in packs). You click on the datacubes, go to Nar Shadaa to watch a cutscene, and get a consumable reward for each one (XP or Valor boost). After you unlock the last one, you get the gearset, bound to you.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Hey @PreciousBodilyFluids I don't know if you're still interested in it, but a while ago you asked where you could get the chestpiece that Hunter from the Imperial agent story wears. Well it wasn't in the game before, but it is now: It's called the Revered Chronicler's Jacket. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the way you unlock that set is by collecting all the Encrypted Datacubes (there are 8 of them that randomly drop in packs). You click on the datacubes, go to Nar Shadaa to watch a cutscene, and get a consumable reward for each one (XP or Valor boost). After you unlock the last one, you get the gearset, bound to you.

I'm sorry but that is just deplorable. How about you just let me buy it outright for a couple of thousand Cartel Coins?

Edit: I'm sorry if I'm being a bit hyperbolic but the way that armor is being handled just really bothers me.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Oh my god, is this a new rest animation thing?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=95pefd50uus

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Cormac wrote: »

I'm sorry but that is just deplorable. How about you just let me buy it outright for a couple of thousand Cartel Coins?

Edit: I'm sorry if I'm being a bit hyperbolic but the way that armor is being handled just really bothers me.

Well on the plus side, last I checked the datacubes were going for about 60k each on the GTN, so once the new datacubes are on there you will eventually be able to buy them all for around 500k. Since the set is 7 pieces, that's not a bad GTN price. (assuming the datacube price doesn't go up now that people know it unlocks armor instead of just dinky cutscenes and XP/Valor boosts)

Edit: Here's a link to the set to see what it looks like.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I'll admit that when I'm on certain specs I don't always focus weaks first. Dot specs like watchman/saboteur/balance are kind of wasted on dudes that will die before your skills really get rolling, so I usually dot up the Elites/Champs and either AOE the little guys or kill them with stunning skills like Project or Blade Storm.

But all my friends that have never MMO'd seriously before absolutely get tunnel vision and aim their face for the biggest baddest dude while his little friends bumrush the healer. So I understand why Pugs do it too.

I'm not even bothered that much by that behaviour, it's more when they are "Mmm... there are like 5 small dudes shooting at the healer, one big guy fighting with the tank and two elites standing around looking dazed/floating in the sky....

I'm gonna get those floating dudes!"

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    What are the Relnex and Diabolist from? Just generic brown/black robes?

newSig.jpg
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular

Hey, thanks! I appreciate you letting me know :)

I must have it. I saw exactly 1 datacube on my GTN though, going for 250000. Think I might level my Trooper first before going after this one

Approximately how many packs would I need to buy to get the second tier of rep with the cartel people? I'm a little peeved they've made it so the only way to get a couple of pieces of armor is through repping up with a real money faction but damn it I have like 3700 coins and I want that robe.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    there's really no way to say. it's all chance, so you could theoretically open 100 packs and get no rep. the cartel rep items are fairly rare but not ultra rare.

Are you the magic man?
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    there's really no way to say. it's all chance, so you could theoretically open 100 packs and get no rep. the cartel rep items are fairly rare but not ultra rare.

When I was grinding up to maxed cartel rep (spending zero real dollars!), i was getting them most packs. Every pack contains either a green rep item, a blue rep item, a purple rep item, or a rare Cartel Certificate. Is this no longer true?

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I believe there's a small chance to get no rep token, but all of the post-rep-addition cartel packs I've opened have had one. They didn't retroactively add them to the older packs, so if you're opening them, there's no rep items.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    The rep you get in most packs. The cartel certificate rate drop rate seems to have been raised, at least with the two newest packs.

Just spent about a million credits and now have the rep necessary to buy the coat. Most of the packs gave me rep items, and most of the rep items were the purple ones. Judging by what I got out of the packs I'll probably be looking at a 500-650k net loss which isnt all too bad, plus I still have my giant bank of cartel coins.

I also got a couple of the certificate things, but theres nothing Id really like to buy with those as of now, hopefully theyll put up the other meditation/throne mounts.

I must have it. I saw exactly 1 datacube on my GTN though, going for 250000. Think I might level my Trooper first before going after this one

Don't worry, that's just because people like me read Cambiata's post and bought Everything on the GTN that cost less than 45k ... so the only remainign pieces cost 200k ... 12h later they cost >250k

. . . uh, . . .

Blame Cambiata!

So, I just realized what is still my first, and biggest problem with the game,

It is still possible to sell the Kallig's Counenance*). :(
    I soooooooooo wish my main still had it. :(

*) It's an Inq thing.

Hey @ PreciousBodilyFluids I don't know if you're still interested in it, but a while ago you asked where you could get the chestpiece that Hunter from the Imperial agent story wears. Well it wasn't in the game before, but it is now: It's called the Revered Chronicler's Jacket. That's the good news.

Don't worry, that's just because people like me read Cambiata's post and bought Everything on the GTN that cost less than 45k ... so the only remainign pieces cost 200k ... 12h later they cost >250k

. . . uh, . . .

Blame Cambiata!

Eh, these thing move in waves. With the new packs out, and people realizing what the datacubes mean now, the price will be temporarily inflated. Give it 3 weeks and they'll be back to a normal price.

When the Calo Nord set first came out, and I realized how rare the drops are (and how cool the jacket looked) I was sure that set would go up as high as the Revan gear (which currently costs millions for the rarer pieces). But nope, Calo Nord stuff is mostly pretty cheap now. Even the Handmaiden stuff which was ridiculously high for a while, I bought all four pieces for under 400k yesterday. You just have to wait for the mania for it to die down.

Also, tangentially related, all the classic gear they're releasing into the game really made me want to replay KOTOR. When I was waiting for the release of SWTOR, in the month between the open beta and the release date, I tried playing KOTOR to remind me of the story. Because what I really wanted at the time was to play SWTOR, and because the gameplay of KOTOR has really aged horribly, I couldn't do it. Last night I tried again, more prepared for what to expect gameplay-wise, and I'm actually enjoying it. I also finally installed the reconstruction mod for KOTOR II so I'll be playing that as well.

I really need to get around to finishing starting Kotor2. I even bought it a Steam Sale or two ago and still basically havent touched it.

That Calo Nord outfit wasn't helped by clipping horribly through holstered pistols either.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    To be fair, most armor clips horribly through holstered pistols.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    I keep my bounty hunter in mostly armored gear, the pistol goes neatly on the leg with no jacket to clip into.

Are you the magic man?
    edited July 2013
    Frei wrote: »
    I keep my bounty hunter in mostly armored gear, the pistol goes neatly on the leg with no jacket to clip into.

Yeah I generally wear close-fitting things on my knight for the same reason. No capes to clip in to everything annoyingly (also safer!)

Cambiata on
    one of my biggest annoyances in this game is how robes and jackets and etc clip down through the bottom of speeder bikes. it looks so terrible, I hate it. I don't know why they can't just attach the jacket to the legs or body when on a bike.

Are you the magic man?
    This is also why I mostly like the Calo Nord jacket (although yes, the guns clipping through is kinda bothersome) - it's cape-like but also short enough that it doesn't show through the bottom of chairs/bikes and things.

My gunslinger solved the clipping issue by using two pistols that color matched the Troublemaker's Duster. Then I just squint really hard when they're holstered.

I kinda have a thing about pistols.

Black Nebula looks nice, but the effect isn't mirrored in your off hand. And the hand cannons seem comically oversized.

Primordial is ok, and Range Hunter is fine, but some of the non-cartel ones... Like Flashy. That thing looks like a cheap drugstore discount water pistol.

They need some better models.
    Can't wait for that carbine one though (the remodeled saw-off from rifle to pistol).

newSig.jpg
    I got a toothpick head piece in one of the packs I bought, why am I just finding out about this thing now!?

Scoundrel complete.

the new Primordial Blaster variant has the normal scope, but also a holographic sight on the other side... that's like putting two scopes on a weapon, haha.

Are you the magic man?
    edited July 2013
    Yah I liked the hand cannons at first because of the nifty lasers, but they're way too huge in custscenes.

I, too, am looking forward to double sawn-offs.

Cambiata on
    Nocren wrote: »
    I kinda have a thing about pistols.

Black Nebula looks nice, but the effect isn't mirrored in your off hand. And the hand cannons seem comically oversized.

Primordial is ok, and Range Hunter is fine, but some of the non-cartel ones... Like Flashy. That thing looks like a cheap drugstore discount water pistol.

They need some better models.
    Can't wait for that carbine one though (the remodeled saw-off from rifle to pistol).

Check the lowbie flashpoints for BOP weapons, there are some unique models and they can be solo'd super fast at 50+. I know at least Athiss and Mando Raiders have nice ones.

Yeah, Athiss does have some nice weapons.

Boss has a nice looking double saber I used for about 25 levels.

newSig.jpg
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Adding to this, you get the gearset as a quest reward lockbox, so you have to be a sub to actually get it. Guess I need to pick up a game time card from somewhere before accepting my quest rewards.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Adding to this, you get the gearset as a quest reward lockbox, so you have to be a sub to actually get it. Guess I need to pick up a game time card from somewhere before accepting my quest rewards.

Wait, really? Normally Cartel boxes can be opened even if you don't have a sub.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Wait, really? Normally Cartel boxes can be opened even if you don't have a sub.
    They can be opened yes, but you cannot receive boxes as quest rewards if you aren't a sub.
    :edit: well that's fun, got some game time, got my box, and it didn't unlock in my collections.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular

Are you serious. They didn't make an exception for this quest, since the gear is the whole point...?

Being nice to people not giving them money? You some kind of communist, boy?