As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mildly annoying Youtube issue

TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009JerseyRegistered User regular
Embedded Youtube clips are shifted so that I'll only be able to see the left half of it. Here an example from the Vimeo/Youtube thread in SE++. I get the same exact result regardless of if I have my Greasemonkey and User Style scripts disabled or not.

06bs.png

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    It sounds like its time to restart your computer, and if that doesnt work, reinstall your browser.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Speaking of Youtube, is there any way you could make it so the title of an embedded video shows up without having to click on it to load it? Looking at this page it appears to be fairly configurable.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    It sounds like its time to restart your computer, and if that doesnt work, reinstall your browser.

Computer restart didn't help. I upgraded my Firefox to the latest version (v.22.0), but I'm still getting the same behavior. I should have mentioned this originally, but this isn't a new issue. This has been happening for quite a while, I just finally decided to ask for help. And it's just with the embedded youtube clips. If I take the link to youtube for any of them I can view the video just fine on youtube's site (which is what I've been doing).

My work's default browser is IE8 (v 8.0.6001.18702CO). I don't even see the embedded video with that browser, just the floating play button that doesn't do anything when I click it. I don't ever use this one, so it doesn't really matter to me, though.

8ejn.jpg

I installed the newest Chrome (v 27.0.1453.116 m), and that works just fine. But functioning youtube embedding isn't enough to make me want to switch browsers.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Since you're able to install browsers would you be willing to upgrade to IE10?

• Options
    Smasher wrote: »
    Since you're able to install browsers would you be willing to upgrade to IE10?

I'm on XP.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Have you tried clearing your Firefox cache or making a new profile?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I figured out what was causing my problem!

After doing a complete uninstall and clean reinstall of Firefox, Youtube embedding was working perfectly fine. So I went ahead and reinstalled all my extensions (since I had already verified that disabling greasemonkey and the Stylish script I was using for the PA Forums didn't help). But the embedding problem came back! So I went through and check whether or not disabling each extension individually helped. Low and behold, when I disabled Stylish the problem vanished. I verified once again that disabling the Sylish script that was specifically for the PA Forums didn't help, so I checked the other scripts.

Apparently, the script I was using to adjust the width of The Trenches was what was causing the embedding problem. I don't even know why I had that script anymore, because looking at The Trenches site with it disabled, I can't find anything wrong with the layout. Here's the script in it's entirety:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("http://trenchescomic.com/")
    #Frame {
    overflow:inherit !important;
    }
    body {
    min-width:1050px !important;
    }

I have absolutely no idea how or why that would effect the youtube embedding on this forum, but since I can't figure out what it was supposed to be fixing I'm guessing I'll never miss it.