As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    see what's going to be really great when my prediction about Miles and his entire supporting cast being refugees in 616 comes true is the inevitable rematch against Galactus, when Miles steps up in a big way to protect his new home.

Also Beta Ray Bill would play a part in that story because Godhunter was amazing and needs to be referenced.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I shouldn't be surprised, given we're on our second reboot in the past four or so years, but I didn't think they would blow it all up. Somebody get Heston on the line.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    And yet, it's still probably gonna be done better than Nu52. Also, Ultimate Mary Jane + Time Displaced Bobby Drake = OTP ! ( I'm not sure why, but it just feels right!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This would be their third reboot.

Hate to say it, but they should just end it. Specially since I'm not sure how either X-Men or Spider-Man could get better (as they're already pretty great).

• Options
    Sorry, relaunch, not reboot.

Ultimatum -> Ultimate Comics was one relaunch, and then Death of Peter Parker ->. Miles Morales was the second one. We don't know if cataclysm will be a relaunch or just a line cancelation, or just a event at this point.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    This would be their third reboot.

Hate to say it, but they should just end it. Specially since I'm not sure how either X-Men or Spider-Man could get better (as they're already pretty great).

It doesn't have to get better. It has to get peoples attention. I make this distinction because we started the relaunch with Ultimate Spider-man still being great and Hickman being on Ultimates. Three of the Four Ultimates comics were some of the best of Marvels output and it still didn't sell well.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Three of four? What was the fourth?

• Options
    Ultimate Hawkeye mini which Hickman was also writing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, I thought you were talking about ongoings.

• Options
    Ironically, I think what's hurting the Ultimate line is just how good a lot of Marvel's output is.

When it debuted, it really did feel different (and to me better) that what was happening in the main lines. Now, Ultimate X-Men is just another really good X-Men book among many good X-men books.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Whatever it is it'll be announced at Comic Con next week.

Pretty positive it's not a reboot though, marvel isnt in to reboots.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I think they should do something to give the Ultimate universe a coherent identity again. Maybe kill the adult heroes - most of whom are kind of ruined as characters at this point - and make the Ultimate line the "teen heroes" universe.

That would allow them to keep Miles and the majority of the X-cast.

• Options

I think they should do something to give the Ultimate universe a coherent identity again. Maybe kill the adult heroes - most of whom are kind of ruined as characters at this point - and make the Ultimate line the "teen heroes" universe.

The ultimate Universe has a coherent identity now.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

It was originally marketed as the "no previous continuity" line - a fresh start for new fans. Years later, it has become this strange alternate continuity line where everyone is a more dickish versions of themselves plus the awesome Ultimate Spider-Man.

I have enjoyed a lot of Ultimate books over the years. USM is still great. Ultimate X-Men is worth reading. Nothing is really selling that well.

But I can definitely see Marvel wanting to redefine or outright shutter the line. The only reason I don't think they'll cancel it outright, ala the New Universe, is Ultimate Spider-Man.

That's why I think they are settng up a relaunch of the line, most likely centered around Ultimate Spider-Man. I think "teen hero universe" is a possible direction, especially since they already have a strong existing teen cast.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ironically, I think what's hurting the Ultimate line is just how good a lot of Marvel's output is.

When it debuted, it really did feel different (and to me better) that what was happening in the main lines. Now, Ultimate X-Men is just another really good X-Men book among many good X-men books.

I agree with this, especially after NOW gave a really great refocusing to all the mainline titles.

I'm actually just waiting to drop off these books, because my pull is going to need to be significantly reduced when I start grad school in the fall. Any kind of line change or refocusing would give me a good spot to leap off from, although I'd probably still keep Ultimate Spider-Man around.

I just can't afford to read these titles while Marvel's main line is so strong, and the writers I came to and stuck with the line for (primarily Hickman and Wood) are all doing great things on regular 616 titles.

• Options

It was originally marketed as the "no previous continuity" line - a fresh start for new fans. Years later, it has become this strange alternate continuity line where everyone is a more dickish versions of themselves plus the awesome Ultimate Spider-Man.

I have enjoyed a lot of Ultimate books over the years. USM is still great. Ultimate X-Men is worth reading. Nothing is really selling that well.

But I can definitely see Marvel wanting to redefine or outright shutter the line. The only reason I don't think they'll cancel it outright, ala the New Universe, is Ultimate Spider-Man.

That's why I think they are settng up a relaunch of the line, most likely centered around Ultimate Spider-Man. I think "teen hero universe" is a possible direction, especially since they already have a strong existing teen cast.

The time where the Ultimate Universe was more dickish started with Millars Ultimare X-men and Ultimates. That was extremely close to the start.

When it hit the relaunch it became something new and unique.

It didn't help. I don't think anything will at this point.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Perhaps Marvel can do what they did with the MC2 line, and fold everything except for USM.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nnuu, I want Ultimate X-Men to keep going. For years I've day-dreamed about what would happen if you put a bunch of mutants into an isolated community and asked them to build a society, like putting them in the middle of the desert or telling them to colonize Mars. I love reading about how they all bend their different abilities to making everything perfect forever. Still want to read more about Utopia.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    This week Ultimate Spider-Man was great.

As tiring as Bendis speak is, somehow he is able to still make a whole issue of just talking work perfectly. I think it's really a testatement to how much he loves the characters in this world that USM is almost always just above everything else that he produces (not to say that's crap or anything).

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    CATACLYSM_ULTIMATESLASTSTAND_1_COVERVARIANTBAGLEY.jpg
    Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand by Bendis and Bagely, 5 issues starting in November.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Despite having an all-Ultimates cover right there, Bendis says Cataclysm will have both Miles and the cast of UXM front and center.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Bringing the team that kicked off the Ultimate universe back together has a certain symbolism to it

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Yeah, while I am not really digging that cover I like that the two guys that created the Ultimate Universe are, presumably, going to end it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So, is this the end? Or just a big event?

• Options
    Cataclysm is being treated as a follow-up to Spider-Men, as the whole Ultimate Universe learns of the 616 Earth and that if they somehow manage to push Galactus back through there he will just eat 616 Earth because I guess he is in a berserk hunger driven state or something.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So, is this the end? Or just a big event?
    They won't say, obviously, because that is gonna be the end of the series

but between Bendis and Bagely teaming up again, it heavily involving the entire Ultimate U and the discovery of Earth-616 by them it sure seems like the end of the road

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bendis once again confirms Peter Parker is very dead, but teased a 200th issue USM special.

My guess is it'll have flashback stories with Peter in them or something, no way he actually comes back.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What number did USM end on? I know UCSM is on issue 25, but I'm not sure where the combined numbers would be.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm really betting that the Ultimate universe is going to be rebooted in some manner.

• Options
    Nah, between Marvel's longstanding reluctance to reboot and the fact that the Ultimate books other than UCSM haven't been selling all that great, I think it's unlikely. I think they're looking to end the story deliberately like they did with the 2099 universe.

• Options
    I'm really betting that the Ultimate universe is going to be rebooted in some manner.
    I doubt it

They've tried re-branding/relaunching it twice now, neither of which worked to any real degree despite having high-profile talent behind them.

I'm expecting the most beloved/unique aspects of the Ultimate Universe jumping to the 616. Miles Morales for sure.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It is kind of telling that with the exception of Thor, that cover could easily be for a current 616 story.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well I mean Bendis was asked "How would you have done the Ultimate universe differently" and he said "wait and see", which to me implies they are going to do they Ultimate universe differently.

• Options
    Well, there's only two reasons to have an ultimate universe, IMO.

1. As an easy jumping on point for new readers; which A. the ultimate uninverse isn't any better at that than the normal universe what with 13 years of continuity and B. The normal universe is actually doing a pretty good job of this with Marvel Now.

2. An avenue to tell stories you couldn't tell in the normal universe. Like killing off Peter Parker and having his deatth inspire a new Spide..... hrrmm... (To be fair though, we ALL know 616 Peter is coming back at some point, whereas Ultimate Peter is likely gone for good)

• Options
    Well I mean Bendis was asked "How would you have done the Ultimate universe differently" and he said "wait and see", which to me implies they are going to do they Ultimate universe differently.

He also said the equivalent of "wait and see" regarding whether there would be an Ultimate universe panel at next year's SDCC which to me implies there's no guarantee that there will be an Ultimate universe in a year.

• Options
    Wait and see is such a non answer thst I don't think it can really be used as an implication of anything. It is just the equivalent of STORY AINT OUT YET SHUT UP

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I have up to UWS, DWF so it's safe to assume there will be 2 more volumes of all 3 UC series not including the Wolverine mini? I plan on getting both Hunger and Cataclysm in singles.

Edit: Wow, Marvel is actually releasing the remaining volumes in TPB format and skipping hardcovers. That makes buying them easier so kudos to them in that regard.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I'm still pissed I had to buy both Ultimate Spider Man book 3 AND DWF, UWS in order to stay current, all because they couldn't be bothered to put two extra issues into DWF, UWS, or release the X-men and Ultimates comics in their own seperate TPB's. :P

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm still pissed I had to buy both Ultimate Spider Man book 3 AND DWF, UWS in order to stay current, all because they couldn't be bothered to put two extra issues into DWF, UWS, or release the X-men and Ultimates comics in their own seperate TPB's. :P

I just bought issues 11 and 12 in singles. And I'm pretty sure they did release the X-men and Ultimates arcs separately.

Oh and apparently the last two UC Spider-man volumes will still be released in hardcover format first which just irritates me to no end. And the TPB version hasn't even been solicited yet.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    They didn't release them in America as far as I can tell. I'd be happy o be wrong though as the TPB for DWF, UWS hasn't come out yet.

Undead Scottsman on