As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    I will laugh if those 6 stages are from SFxT and the fifth character is Asura.

Might pick this up if i can use the $15 update on a new copy of AE.
    Considering Akuma, Oni, and Ryu were all ported into a mode as DLC for Asura's Wrath, and Hugo, Rolento, Elena, and Poison already have most of their work done from SFxT, it's the safest bet hence most people's reaction.

Someone like Maki (from Final Fight, never in a SF but added to CvS2 as a playable character) is where I'm hoping they're going with it. I'm still betting it's Asura.

Can't wait to see the name reveal tomorrow. Will they go with '(Dash), Turbo (America)/X (Japan) to follow the SF2-> SSF2-> SSF2T/SSF2X convention, Champion Edition, Hyper, or something brand new? Will we keep the meme going or re-brand to something sensible?

Also this.

IMG_0421.JPG?format=1500w

Column on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Very cool. Might be the time to get more into SF4. Still crossing my fingers that divekick gets greenlighted. I'm actually still shocked that it hasn't, yet.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Is KOF about to start?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    edited July 2013
    Rynge, I like watching you play and commentate, especially on NSFW Fridays after Watson's Story Hour. But this is Evo...please tie your damn tie if you're going to be on the stream next time. It's been a nice theme holding strong all weekend.
    Is KOF about to start?
    Yep, stream 1 after the break.

And with Sanchez commentary, fuck yeah.

Column on
    Psycho ball.
    Psycho ball.
    Psycho ball.

I hate Athena.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Psycho ball.
    Psycho ball.
    Psycho ball.

I hate Athena.
    I'm conflicted about her. On the one hand, I really like playing as O.Sagat in ST (who doesn't if you're trying to win?) and can appreciate the fireball game when she's played like a shoto.

On the other hand, I hate watching and playing against O.Sagat. And the only thing we need less of than "Tiger!" is "Psycho Buuuulllll!"

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kinderparty on stream!

EDIT: Sadly, KP was sent to Loser's bracket, so there's still a chance. Way to represent PA with the Child's Play shirt!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Aaaand kinderparty off stream

wbBv3fj.png
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Kinderparty gave it a hell of a shot. I think we could see him back out of losers. His Spencer is great.

Angelic is a phenomenal player though. What a good fight.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    hell yeah @Kinderparty! I was waiting for an Arthur all day, and so glad you brought him.

Nice job man! Best of luck in losers bracket!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I normally don't watch fighting games (more of an SC2/Dota 2 watcher), but I put Evo on my big TV in the living room while I was cooking...just in time to see @Kinderparty. Was really cool to see a PA'er up there! Good luck in the losers bracket.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    WTF happened at the last Injustice match?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    Psycho ball.
    Psycho ball.
    Psycho ball.

I hate Athena.
    I'm conflicted about her. On the one hand, I really like playing as O.Sagat in ST (who doesn't if you're trying to win?) and can appreciate the fireball game when she's played like a shoto.

On the other hand, I hate watching and playing against O.Sagat. And the only thing we need less of than "Tiger!" is "Psycho Buuuulllll!"

I really enjoyed seeing Ren's Athena. I realize that the Psycho Ballgame might not be very interesting to watch, but it's A LOT harder to utilize than in Street Fighter.

KOF was great in general, and I wish we could have seen more of pools, and all of quarter- and semi-finals. There were a lot of great players we weren't able to see.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Anyone able to post the footage of the Injustice coverage? I'm actually interested in seeing those fights.

Just heard Kinderparty is still alive.

Also it is insane that Chris G has had to play 3 matches in a row.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited July 2013
    Divekick is live right now. No Great Name (SirToons) playing as I type this. He's coming from losers, but in top 8.

SirToons eliminated by another S-Kill player, Adelheid. Good shit to toons.

Column on
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Woah, Neo vs. Chris G was intense for those first 3 rounds. I thought Neo was going to stroke out after he lost.

I gotta admit, all the silly FGC references in Dive Kick make me chuckle when I spot them.

MetalMagus on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, who watched the Skullgirl stream?

Justin Wong vs. Filipino Champ was aammmmaaaazzzzing.

• ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, who watched the Skullgirl stream?
    I did. Solid grand finals. I've been on the receiving end of both Duckator and Severin's abuse, so it wasn't a surprise to see them there. Severin is a combo machine but Duckator has been doing well all year. Also, it was nice to see a solo character in top 8.

ContentContext on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Is ChrisG out? Tell me he's out of UMvC. Also, who won between FChamp and JWong?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Is ChrisG out? Tell me he's out of UMvC. Also, who won between FChamp and JWong?
    I was half asleep for a long time last night thanks to a lack of sleep, every game is in top 8 now. Justin beat F. Champ. Justin's going into top eight in winners while ChrisG and and Champ are going into top 8 in losers.

So here's top eight for every game tomorrow. Copying and pasting this from ScrubHubs for those who cannot click links at work, phone, etc. The link has results for those not in top 8 and games already completed. This info is purely for the top 8's being played on Evo1's stream.

King of Fighters 13 — Top 8
    Winners bracket
    CafeID|Verna vs. Hee San Woo
    MCZ|Tokido vs. CafeID|MadKOF

Losers bracket
    AGE|Romance vs. AS|Reynald
    Fox vs. DM|Xian

Super Smash Bros. Melee — Top 8
    Winners bracket
    Wobbles (Ice Climbers)
    CT|Hungrybox (Jigglypuff)
    VGBC|Dr.PeePee (Falco)
    EMP|Mew2King

Losers bracket
    Shroomed (Dr. Mario)
    Mango (Fox, Falco)
    Ice (Sheik)
    Armada (Peach)

Injustice: Gods Among Us — Top 8
    Winners bracket
    EGP|MFSlayer (Superman)
    EMP|KDZ (Superman)
    Crazy DJT 88 (Green Lantern)
    AGE|NYChrisG (Green Arrow, Black Adam)

Losers bracket
    EMP|REO (Batman)
    EMPR_Theo (Superman)
    EG|PR Balrog (Killer Frost)
    RDK|Godspeed (Black Adam)

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 — Top 8
    Winners bracket
    Cloud805 (Zero, Vergil, Dante) vs. Angelic (Wolverine, Dormammu, Shuma-Gorath)
    EMP|Flocker (Zero, Vergil, Hawkeye) vs. EG|Justin Wong (Wolverine, Storm, Akuma)

Losers bracket
    AGE|NYChrisG (Morrigan, Dr. Doom, Vergil) vs. Ranmasama (Haggar, Dormammu, Magneto)
    ATX|Zak (Zero, Vergil, Dante) vs. coL|Filipino Champ (Magneto, Dormammu, Dr. Doom)

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012 — Top 8
    Winners bracket
    DM|Xian (Gen) vs. HORI|Sako (Ibuki, Evil Ryu)
    EG|PR Balrog (Balrog) vs. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)

Losers bracket
    MCZ|Daigo (Ryu) vs. Infiltration (Akuma)
    AvM|GamerBee (Adon) vs. Haitani (Makoto)

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That King of Fighters grand final was pretty amazing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Wow...

Reynold takes KoF coming from the losers bracket. Great top 8, even better grand finals. If you like fighting games you need to watch that grand finals.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh hey, it's time for humorless planks to play Smash Bros wrong.

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    KOF was awesome. I was really rooting for Woo, but happy the US proved its competency in KOF.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    Wow...

Reynold takes KoF coming from the losers bracket. Great top 8, even better grand finals. If you like fighting games you need to watch that grand finals.

Not only coming from the losers bracket, but down 2-0 and comes back to win 3 times in a row to reset.

JKKaAGp.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Man, whoever thought 8 minute matches, 4 stock, best of three was acceptable for a tournament needs to be punched in the dick. I really hope a shitload of matches are off-screen right now or this will take an eternity.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    reVerse wrote: »
    Oh hey, it's time for humorless planks to play Smash Bros wrong.
    You're playing Smash...you're doing it wrong period...

That said, if Smash is your thing, it's on now. As of this post you've missed a Dr. Mario versus Peach. Second match is underway.

I wish I liked watching the game, because this has been a great tournament if this is your game/one of your games. You want to watch this top 8. The energy from the Smash stations has been great, nice to see people enjoying their game; fuck haters, play on playa.

I'm surprised there aren't people playing Samus in melee. Time has passed.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I'm surprised there aren't people playing Samus in melee. Time has passed.
    Given I know fuck all about smash I'm not claiming knowledge here, but the only thing I've seen her do that other characters haven't is swing completely under the stage. Maybe to try and win via time out, no clue. It also always looks like anything she does another character does better.

My smash knowledge is playing a lot of 64 with a friend God knows how long ago, a tiny bit of melee with some former roommates, and a lot of brawl with those same roommates because only one of them liked playing fighters. My favorite thing to do was playing Jigglypuff, because no one wants to lose to that, and playing Zelda like she was Guile with explosive, fuck-off sonic booms. I'm assuming nothing in that first paragraph is accurate.

And watching this stupid ice climbers throw infinite...the idea of smash players ragging on MvC2 is even more of a joke than it was years ago...

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Smash finals have been fun to watch so far. Probably helps that I don't take it seriously and get my panties in a bundle over ice climbers bs.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Those Ice Climbers are bullshit. Can Climbers player do the double throw? Yes, opponent loses a life. No, bunch of jumping about for eternity.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Those Ice Climbers are bullshit. Can Climbers player do the double throw? Yes, opponent loses a life. No, bunch of jumping about for eternity.

I dunno, he got the final kill with just bobo in the first match.

Smash is done. Mango wins, running the gauntlet from losers bracket by channeling left over Charles Bronson energy Reynald didn't use this morning to win KoF.

Up next is Injustice top eight. Right before that we have a special announcement from NRS concerning a new DLC character.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Not like Fox has any bullshit at his disposal...

So who do we think is going to win street fighter? Lotta the usual suspects are already in losers bracket.

Also, kinda bummed about no Guilty Gear or Blazblue this year.

Sokpuppet on
    They're playing for money. Complaining about tourney legal play is a waste of time.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh nice! reo is still playing batman. last I saw he had abandoned him.

I like reo

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    So the announcement consisted of Martian Manhunter as the fifth DLC character, his native martian skin or a white martian skin or whatever the fuck some comic nerd can correct me, and a Green Lantern skin that turns Hal Jordan into John Stewart complete with new voice.