As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn] Next Beta This Wednesday July 10 (Lasts Five Days!)

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    dear lord, the way some helmets (the ones that go over the full head and ears) let elezen ears stick out of the material looks awful. please tell me most late game helms aren't like that.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    dear lord, the way some helmets (the ones that go over the full head and ears) let elezen ears stick out of the material looks awful. please tell me most late game helms aren't like that.

I hate the cowls because of that.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I would think that if I were a type that had ears the stuck out at an odd angle from my head to the point that headgear might bend my ears, I would wear things that would account for that with either holes to let my ears through or ear pockets.

FFXIV_1335174664.jpg

Edit: That being said, google image search is not showing me any images of the problem you are describing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    A40974E44A1DE56D1C91057267614F22EF595954

That's with the smallest ears. It looks terrible.

Edit:
    Decked out proper while dabbling in conjurer. NEEDS MOAR BELTS!
    E986E1EC4ABCAB8750B4AFBB076529D6344E4FCC

And @Raziya wants to show off her Gladiator.
    DEE2BB4B2D412ADA7D4687495B25BBEE9A841A1B

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The question is; from a technical and artistic standpoint, how would you fix that?

Honestly, I'm not sure. At least make the points more subdued, maybe just small bumps instead of huge pointy things?

I'm really not happy about the whole "helm/no helm" implementation anyway. In Guild Wars 2 the equipment has a check mark in the corner and you can turn your helmet and shoulders on and off right in your character menu. Maybe you like one helmet but not another.. no need to go into the options menu.

It's nitpicky, sure, but once I have my options set the way I want them, I should never have to go into that menu again.

• WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    I have a question and it's not answered in the OP and I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it in 93+ pages:

I pre-ordered the game and I got early access - when does that start, and is it a beta key?

• ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    so lets just hope for 1-2 weeks then phase 4 can start. then i can start hitting things again.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
    so lets just hope for 1-2 weeks then phase 4 can start. then i can start hitting things again.

You could hit things now, you know...

• ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    nope i dont want to do a bunch then do it all over again :)

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Edit:
    Decked out proper while dabbling in conjurer. NEEDS MOAR BELTS!
    E986E1EC4ABCAB8750B4AFBB076529D6344E4FCC

All in favor of Lulu's dress from FFX?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited July 2013
    I am just amazed that Lulu never tripped or got hung up on things with all those belts on.

2145942-ffx2lulu.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Wydrion wrote: »
    I have a question and it's not answered in the OP and I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it in 93+ pages:

I pre-ordered the game and I got early access - when does that start, and is it a beta key?

No one knows and no.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    nope i dont want to do a bunch then do it all over again :)

wait a second...

46503d1340350842-custom-engraved-toilet-seat-t219721_fry_i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I am just amazed that Lulu never tripped or got hung up on things with all those belts on.

2145942-ffx2lulu.jpg

Thanks for finding a picture.

And seeing it again, we really, really need to have more outfits like that in games.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    The ear thing would look much better if they just made ear holes instead of having the ears actually change the shape of the material.

I haven't gotten any heavy armor helms yet... does it still happen on those? I may have to rethink my race if it does.

Are you the magic man?
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    The ear thing would look much better if they just made ear holes instead of having the ears actually change the shape of the material.

I haven't gotten any heavy armor helms yet... does it still happen on those? I may have to rethink my race if it does.

It makes holes or uses the material based on the head piece itself. I threw a comparison together for you of the Miqo'te, i'm not 100% sure how it work for the Elezen but I would imagine it's similar.

agGr4pJ.png

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    When does this beta phase end? Today? What time?

When does this beta phase end? Today? What time?

Monday 2AM PST (GMT -8)

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    So originally I was looking at Balmung with some RPers but I just find myself being to old to really care about that anymore.

So in phase 4 I'll probably create with the GT group. Has anybody made a list yet of what PA members will be doing the invites or will it be anyone can do it?

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    So originally I was looking at Balmung with some RPers but I just find myself being to old to really care about that anymore.

So in phase 4 I'll probably create with the GT group. Has anybody made a list yet of what PA members will be doing the invites or will it be anyone can do it?

Usually all PA members get permission to invite, at least in other games I've played with PA folks. It's too much of a hassle initially to have it only limited to certain people.

If things stay stable and get 'organized', then it's fine to start having organization structures and limits of who can invite; but initially it's not worth the hassle (IMO).

At the very least, I think the PA linkshell should allow anyone to invite, but the FC might have more limits.

What I'm saying is I have no idea. :P

• Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    Myself and Greg USN are setting up the Free Company for the PA guys on Sargatanas (or however you spell it =P)
    We plan to have a set structure and such for the company, but it'll be easy and such to get PA people invited. For the time being game wise on Sargantas I'd say msg myself: Sionnach Aeron or Greg USN's character. Sadly I do not know the name of his sargantas guy yet. We're planning to do this right and make it so the company will thrive long into the game!

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
    edited July 2013
    I think my Google skills are terrible. I'm just morbidly curious how A Realm Reborn would run bootcamped on one of the new MacBook Airs (probably getting one for school this Fall) with the Haswell chips and Intel 5000 integrated graphics. Can anyone dig anything up?

Esh on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I would think that it would not run very well, if at all.

sig.gif
    edited July 2013
    Sorce wrote: »

Is this just you saying "Integrated graphics?!?! Ewwwwwww!" or do you have some knowledge of the chips, because the new Haswell GPUs are actually pretty beefy for what they are. I'm looking for someone with actual experience or a benchmark link, not uninformed personal opinions.

Esh on
    Esh wrote: »

Is this just you saying "Integrated graphics?!?! Ewwwwwww!" or do you have some knowledge of the chips, because the new Haswell GPUs are actually pretty beefy for what they are. I'm looking for someone with actual experience or a benchmark link, not uninformed personal opinions.

There is an official benchmark you can give a try

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

Outside of that though I don't personally have any experience with that setup. But at least the benchmark might give you a general idea.

delphinidaes.png

Outside of that though I don't personally have any experience with that setup. But at least the benchmark might give you a general idea.

I don't have the system yet. It's a future purchase. I'm waiting for the new MacBook Pro announcements before I make any decisions. I'm currently playing beta on the PS3 and I'll move to the PS4 when that version releases. This is just a "Will it play well enough that I can do some grinding/crafting while I'm at the coffee shop". I don't plan on raiding on it.

I don't have the system yet. It's a future purchase. I'm waiting for the new MacBook Pro announcements before I make any decisions. I'm currently playing beta on the PS3 and I'll move to the PS4 when that version releases. This is just a "Will it play well enough that I can do some grinding/crafting while I'm at the coffee shop". I don't plan on raiding on it.

Ah gotcha, unfortunately I don't have a Macbook or know much about bootcamping (outside of what it is) so I can't help much :(

delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2013

I use this site to get quick comparisons for CPU's and GPU's

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Link at the top takes you to the GPU page.

This is what I'm running in XIV
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+460

I have dual 460's, but currently XIV doesn't do SLI; the 'overall' score (compiled benchmarks) for my card, non-SLI, is 2674 I can only run the game on "High"; max, my FPS goes in the shitter; though I'm hoping when they put in SLI support that'll change.

Anyway, here's the HD 5000
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+5000&id=2552

It's 'overall' score is 604.

For a less 'generic' number, my 460 scores ~3400 in 3Dmark 11; the HD 5000 1080

XIV uses DX9 though, so 3DMark 11 is a bit much; but even going back to 3DMark 06; my card gets a 23000 and the HD 5000 gets a 6243

I'm gonna have to agree with @Sorce here; if the game could even run it at all, it'd be very very poorly. Any way you cut it; even if the HD 5000 is a fine general purpose integrated chip (my laptop uses an ATI/AMDi integrated chip and it does what I need for games like WoW and FFXI, but I wouldn't dare run anything modern-ish on it, it just can't do it) it's not gonna be up to snuff for something as punishing as XIV.

However, there is the XIV benchmark, that could give you a good idea, and they're supposed to release an updated benchmark closer to launch that will have the character creator too. EDIT: I refreshed after posting and see that it's not a system you actually have, so nevermind this last suggestion. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

Welp, tonight will be the last night we see our closed beta characters (unless there's an unexpected extra test). RIP buddies.

Are you the magic man?
    edited July 2013
    Thanks, but I'm looking for more than generic GPU benchmarks. I know how to compare GPUs (I use notebookcheck.com though), what I'm looking for is someone who's used the ARR benchmark with one or who has played it on one. I'm not trying to play it at 1080p, just use it casually. Trying to figure if it's worth it though.

tl;dr I know it's not going to play "well", how not well is my question.

Esh on
    Thanks, but I'm looking for more than generic GPU benchmarks. I know how to compare GPUs (I use notebookcheck.com though), what I'm looking for is someone who's used the ARR benchmark with one or who has played it on one. I'm not trying to play it at 1080p, just use it casually. Trying to figure if it's worth it though.

You might try the official Beta forums then, it would probably have a larger sample size of players giving you a much better chance of finding someone who has a macbook and has tried to get the game running on it.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test is the link just in case you don't have it. Most likely would be more productive searching that directly than trying google.

delphinidaes.png

You might try the official Beta forums then, it would probably have a larger sample size of players giving you a much better chance of finding someone who has a macbook and has tried to get the game running on it.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test is the link just in case you don't have it. Most likely would be more productive searching that directly than trying google.

I was digging through some of the official forums. You mention "Mac" and you get descended on by a pack of rabid geese declaring people who buy Apples to be complete idiots. I'll check the beta forums though.

edited July 2013
    Well I doubt you're gonna find that one person who has tried playing the game with bootcamp with that specific integrated chipset here. And it's unlikely that any major hardware review sites are using XIV as a normal gaming benchmark.

But it's not too hard to extrapolate performance from the various reviews out there.

However, from doing some more scrounging, it appears that (currently) the minimum GPU requirement for ARR is a Geforce 8800, which is roughly on par, score and benchmark wise, with an HD 5000; so you might be able to swing it.

As far as how 'well' it'll play...dunno. Servers don't go down for a few hours still, just load the game up, turn it to whatever the native resolution for the laptop you're thinking of, and turn all the visuals to minimum and visually anyway, you'll probably see what to expect. Performance, with everything off, it'll probably run ok...but since the visuals are a good part (for me anyway) of the appeal of XIV, YMMV.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited July 2013
    Well I doubt you're gonna find that one person who has tried playing the game with bootcamp with that specific integrated chipset here. And it's unlikely that any major hardware review sites are using XIV as a normal gaming benchmark.

But it's not too hard to extrapolate performance from the various reviews out there.

However, from doing some more scrounging, it appears that (currently) the minimum GPU requirement for ARR is a Geforce 8800, which is roughly on par, score and benchmark wise, with an HD 5000; so you might be able to swing it.

As far as how 'well' it'll play...dunno. Servers don't go down for a few hours still, just load the game up, turn it to whatever the native resolution for the laptop you're thinking of, and turn all the visuals to minimum and visually anyway, you'll probably see what to expect. Performance, with everything off, it'll probably run ok...but since the visuals are a good part (for me anyway) of the appeal of XIV, YMMV.

It's not an uncommon GPU, since it's on all of Intel's new chips (on PC and Mac), so I thought I'd ask. Like I said, I'm currently playing it on PS3 (and on PS4 when that version releases) so I can't benchmark it like you're suggesting. Also like I said, it's not meant to be a primary machine for playing it, just to use if I'm somewhere away from the house and bored.

EDIT: Oof, the beta forums aren't much better. It's a serious "PC master race" wonderland. Even bringing up the PS3 version seems to send all the kids who got a PC for graduating from high school into a tizzy of "LOLOLOL PSSUCK! GET A REAL GAMING MACHINE".

Esh on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Sad to see my beta girl get deleted.

Did a bunch of duties with the duty finder today. They're mostly pretty simplistic, but still fun just because it's all new and I'm learning how to play the classes.

Now, back to fifteen posts about one person's incredibly specific hardware question and victim complex.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Are duties like instant adventures in rift?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    @Esh

I have an Air, but I don't have Bootcamp. I have Parallels though. It's not the newest one, 4000IG not 5.

I can download the benchmark and give it a go if you want.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Argh... Victim complex go! I made a marauder yesterday and ran him all the way through the Limsa Lominsa starter story quests and was just about to get my airship pass and decided to go to bed at 2am. I got woke up by my wife, "you're 30 minutes late for work! (surprise training day) So I go in at 8 and end up volunteering to stay late since I came in late... End up getting home at 6:20. Beta ended at 6:00 (my time). Woe is me.

Marauder was way more fun than I thought it would be. I enjoyed tanking. Really wanted to tank Sastansa and Ifrit before it ended. Hurry up beta 4!

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

It's not an uncommon GPU, since it's on all of Intel's new chips (on PC and Mac), so I thought I'd ask. Like I said, I'm currently playing it on PS3 (and on PS4 when that version releases) so I can't benchmark it like you're suggesting. Also like I said, it's not meant to be a primary machine for playing it, just to use if I'm somewhere away from the house and bored.

EDIT: Oof, the beta forums aren't much better. It's a serious "PC master race" wonderland. Even bringing up the PS3 version seems to send all the kids who got a PC for graduating from high school into a tizzy of "LOLOLOL PSSUCK! GET A REAL GAMING MACHINE".

Your actual best shot would be going to a Mac enthusiast site, and asking someone with a bootcamped air to run the benchmark tool for you

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
This discussion has been closed.