As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Australia 2013 - Cosplay thread

12345679»

• Options
    RiketzRiketz Registered User regular
    Is this sword ok to get in?

01RzmsF.jpg
    AaronC wrote: »
    Is it sharp? What is it made from?

I don't mean to be snark people, but lets be honest. I can't tell from pictures if it meets the rules or not. I apologize for getting a bit frustrated. Please read the original post and if you still have questions let me know. Remember, fake swords are ok!

The only things that aren't allowed under PAX Rules are things that look like real guns, things that are still capable of shooting a projectile and sharp / pointy things.

If your sword doesn't have a sharp edge it will be fine.

Its made out of foam and coated with latex so its like a big rubbery sponge. :) great

• Options
    vladauvladau Registered User new member
    So glad to see that there'll be other TF2 cosplayers! If you see us, come say hi!

definitely will, always happy to see other tf2 cosplayers!!

preview for Sunday-

Those are the People’s teeth. For all to share!

tumblr_mpva0dxtQp1rck2kgo1_500.jpg

• Options
    MachineInputMachineInput Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Heres my costume for PAX (First time cosplaying :P)

If you don't recognise its the default character from Blacklight Retribution!

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/897/umx6.jpg

MachineInput on
  • Options
    TaikionasTaikionas Registered User new member

I'm surprised you didn't go with the troll face emote.

• Options
    MachineInputMachineInput Registered User new member
    Taikionas wrote: »

I'm surprised you didn't go with the troll face emote.

hahahah nah the le lenny face is much more badass!

• Options
    PenguingerPenguinger Registered User new member
    vladau wrote: »
    tumblr_mpva0dxtQp1rck2kgo1_500.jpg

HEAVY IS PRETTY PRINCESS

• Options
    jackuhlynjackuhlyn melbourne, australiaRegistered User new member
    my friend bianca and i are going on the sunday and i shall be cosplaying ib and she shall be cosplaying mary from the horror game 'ib'

tumblr_mbb3ngxmXs1r43hkio1_500.jpg

look forward to seeing you all there x

• Options
    deathreaper02deathreaper02 Registered User new member
    Would this be good to use? (the sign as a weapon)
    http://art.ngfiles.com/images/99/seenya_one-hell-of-a-clown.jpg

• Options
    plkplk Registered User new member
    I have read the rules for cosplay props and I think I'm allowed to bring this in but just wanted confirmation. It's Yuna's staff from Final Fantasy X. It's about 130cm long. The rod is made from plastic and the gold part attached to the top of the rod is made from lightweight wood. There are points at the top but I don't think it would cut anyone with applied pressure.
    http://i.imgur.com/16ID9kA.jpg

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    plk wrote: »
    I have read the rules for cosplay props and I think I'm allowed to bring this in but just wanted confirmation. It's Yuna's staff from Final Fantasy X. It's about 130cm long. The rod is made from plastic and the gold part attached to the top of the rod is made from lightweight wood. There are points at the top but I don't think it would cut anyone with applied pressure.
    http://i.imgur.com/16ID9kA.jpg
    As long as those points aren't sharp, it looks totally fine.

• Options
    JahaxJahax Registered User new member
    Going to PAX for 3 days...but only going to cosplay for one of them. Which day is the best day to cosplay?

• Options
    NeenerNeener Registered User regular
    Jahax wrote: »
    Going to PAX for 3 days...but only going to cosplay for one of them. Which day is the best day to cosplay?
    Barring the 3 day passes, the Saturday passes were the first to go. So presumably there would be more people on Saturday.

That said:

995107_10201105906986860_747007683_n.jpg
    Okay so. Each day of PAX, lets have a group photo of attending cosplayers at around 2 pm (which means we start taking photos around 2ish?)

If its sunny, we go to the area between the Theatres and the Big Top, if its raining, we head to the queue room Yug said its all good as long as we don't block the way for people

• Options
    feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • Options
    SapphiremayoSapphiremayo Registered User new member
    If you see Raccoon Mario, randomly say hello to me.

• Options
    RinnieLeeRinnieLee Registered User new member
    So I'm just wondering, do props have a size regulation?

• Options
    If it's not in the OP, it's not part of the official policy. I would just caution for very large items that you make darn sure that you can carry/wield it without constantly hitting other people.

• Options
    alysaelalysael Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys! I'm the Lux cosplayer on friday and cosplayed with an Ezreal! If possible, if you see any photos of us online, or you took any, could you link it to the Facebook page in my signature? Thank you so much!

alysael on
    League Team: www.facebook.com/InterstellarGaming
  • Options
    Just a reminder to everyone that the forum rules prohibit linking directly to facebook fan pages, your blogs, etc. If you need that info associated with your account, please put it in your signature.

• Options
    protowilsonprotowilson Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    tumblr_mq9me4LvgA1r0kwpzo1_500.jpg
    It was great to see so many TF2 cosplayers, and great cosplays at that. Everyone was credit to team!

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Poop. I lost my Link cap somewhere while stumbling around half blind as Iron Link...if anyone finds it please let me know :)

• Options
    solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a picture of the lady dressed as a Sister of Battle. By the time it clicked what she was
    cosplaying I lost her in the crowd.

+1 to all the Gaiges as well! I love the mechromancer :)

• Options
    s2fidesses2fidesse Registered User new member
    Hey guys!

Just hoping to maybe get some photos of my cosplay on the Saturday as Nurse Akali from league of legends!

There is also one particular video i'd hope to get, which is of Deadpool, a crazy mexican, Meghan (enforcer) and myself (Nurse Akali) on Just Dance 2014!

I think this is a long shot but you never know until you try.. I do have a facebook page that people can tagg (s2girls or the link should be in my profile).

This ws my full costume (:

944475_10151797963288092_168682524_n.jpg

Thanks everyone!

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    I forgot to update here with my finished cosplay!!
    If anyone got a photo of me please send them too me in a pm thankyou <3

evbwVxm.jpg

• Options
    CraorachCraorach Registered User new member
    Hey guys, I'll be posting here soon with photos, but I wanted to say that everyone I saw did an awesome job and between you guys and the Cos We Can panel inspired my wife and I to finally start work on this stuff :)

Sadly no pic of you Nefily, I kept seeing you around when I was in a hurry... or when you were eating!

• Options
    CraorachCraorach Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Just posting my Imgur album, not many but there are a few in there.

http://imgur.com/a/H0b0U#0

My wife (also pictures) and are I are going to be getting into cosplay, does anyone know of any Oceanic community websites for helping with that?

Craorach on
  • Options
    cheshirecat78cheshirecat78 Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Hi, my daughter was Baby Assassin/Ezio on Saturday (and baby zubat on Friday and very reluctantly and for short periods baby claptrap on Sunday).
    While we/she has an awesome time we didn't take nearly enough photos. If people could post links of any they have, videos etc we would really appreciate it. Alternately you can email them to bethziotheawwssassin@gmail.com

Also thanks to superroach and redlance71 for posting some already. We have found a few on imgur, twitter, instagram etc so people are slowly putting them out there.

We would really love some video as we just completely forgot about that.

The highlight of our PAX was seeing the huge genuine smiles people got as they spotted her. So thank you pax attendees and organisers.

(I posted this in the pics thread but thought I might double my chances in the cosplay one. Thanks :) )

cheshirecat78 on
  • Options
    timobeeetimobeee Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Here's one I got!

1072285_10151792700006796_1821157550_o.jpg

Next year I'll get my nephew to come cosplay and they could team up.

timobeee on
  • Options
    timobeeetimobeee Registered User new member
    This catwoman was probably my favourite cosplayer of the show,

46515_10151792699926796_1723230655_n.jpg

If you're ever in Brisbane lady I would like to buy you a drink!

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Hello all, I wanted to say what a great job everyone did on their cosplay, I was very impressed.

I also wanted to give some feedback and hear some feedback on costume weapons. Overall there weren't too many issues, however there were still a number of people who didn't read this thread about what was allowed and what wasn't. No one had a problem having their weapon's tagged, which I really appreciate. I will post a picture of some of the weapons that weren't allowed with an explanation for why. I didn't encounter anyone who wanted to argue with us and for that I am also very appreciative.

Some feedback that I've already gotten basically says that we should allow realistic looking guns as part of the costume and I want to let you know now that there are no plans to modify what is allowed and what is not. We will not be changing the rules to allow people to bring anything that fires anything or any realistic looking guns. Please plan accordingly for next year.

Over the weekend I think we did a good job of getting everyone tagged. If you saw some weapons that were not tagged they probably belonged to Exhibitors such as the Mandelorians (I know I spelled that wrong), who were there as exhibitors and are exempt from attendee rules. We tended to ere of the side of letting people have something that went with their costume rather than send them packing.

The decisions made by my staff were done under my guidance and the final decision was always with me, if you want to talk about cosplay weapons further I'm happy to receive PM's.

IMG_2184-XL.jpg

Here is a picture of weapons that were handed over to Info Desk rather than being thrown away or taken back to a hotel or car. We never confiscate weapons, we did give people the option of leaving them with us, without any liability for returning it (not that we were going to keep them!).

Starting at the left, The Beretta pistol looks real, especially in the holster, so wasn't allowed. The AK and the MP5, although toys, look real from a distance. The syringe from Bioshock wasn't allowed because the tip was pointed. Other little sister syringes and other plasmids were allowed after the tips were ground down or modified. The other 6 toy pistols all looked real when viewed from a few feet away, especially in holsters. All three nerf guns here were functional and one was even loaded!

An orange tip alone isn't enough to qualify it as not realistic looking.

I understand that these rules are more draconian than other cons in the US and Australia and I'm happy to discuss that point with you all here if you like.

See you next year!

• Options
    KeevaKeeva Registered User new member
    AaronC wrote: »
    Over the weekend I think we did a good job of getting everyone tagged. If you saw some weapons that were not tagged they probably belonged to Exhibitors such as the Mandelorians (I know I spelled that wrong), who were there as exhibitors and are exempt from attendee rules. We tended to ere of the side of letting people have something that went with their costume rather than send them packing.
    Hi Aaron - I read this thread prior to PAX and was prepared to have our lightsaber tagged, but when we arrived we didn't see any signs or reminders (perhaps there were, but in the crowd/confusion/excitement, I didn't see any) and it was only after about an hour of walking around that I suddenly thought - hey, weren't we meant to get this tagged? Oops. It was only a store bought lightsaber, but I still felt bad that we hadn't followed the rules.

Basically we just got swept up in the excitement and the flow of the crowd and forgot that it was something that needed to be done. Were there signs directing people with weapons? If so they weren't enough to catch our eye and tell us where to head to. Just FYI.

• Options
    SuperRoachSuperRoach BallaratRegistered User regular
    I only just found out about the organized meetups at 2pmish each day - I was wondering how that was being done! At least I know now for next year. I don't think I have noticed many photos from those group sessions yet though?

anyway @cheshirecat78, Just sent you an email with some extra photos of your awesome baby Ezio :)

• Options
    MeiMemiMeiMemi WA, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hi guys im looking to get in contact with the Arcade Sona that I meet on the Sat of the event. Just wanna know if she is planning the same costume for next years Pax as me and a friend are looking to put together a sona group with all her different skins.

• Options
    p1ng666p1ng666 Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    MeiMemi wrote: »
    Hi guys im looking to get in contact with the Arcade Sona that I meet on the Sat of the event. Just wanna know if she is planning the same costume for next years Pax as me and a friend are looking to put together a sona group with all her different skins.
    hi, not sure If your talking about me.
    But next year I plan to do a different LoL character, not Sona. :)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I realize this thread is a few days old, but I wanted to shout a massive congrats to all the Aussie cosplayers this year. I didn't get to go, but my husband posted some photos throughout the weekend that included some absolutely amazing costume work. Well done guys and gals. I look forward to seeing such creative talent in person next year.

And well done, AaronC and crew, for keeping the convention safe for everyone!

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    VakariansVakarians Registered User new member
    Hi all!
    So this is a big question but does anyone here remember the name of an American gaming site/show that was at PAX AUS 2013 that was interviewing cosplayers? I was in cosplay as Aela the Huntress and had an interview with them on Day 1 with a Corvo Attano cosplayer. If anyone knows who they are, I will be extremely happy!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.