As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Shickingly, to noone anywhere, Superman takes Injustice. KDZ blows through everybody to take it with Supes.

Up next is the Killer Instinct segment. After that is Marvel top eight.

And MarkMan confirms there's a TE for Xbox1 and Killer Instict. Pretty sure MarkMan or someone at MadCatz already announced that, but still cool to see what the stick looks like hanging around his neck.

Column on
  • sevenpainssevenpains Registered User regular
    markman got booed instantly when he mentioned xbox one on stage :c

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Man I remember playing so much Killer Instinct as a kid. It and Soulcalibur II are really the only fighting games I've ever really got deep in to.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Man I remember playing so much Killer Instinct as a kid. It and Soulcalibur II are really the only fighting games I've ever really got deep in to.
    If this turns out like the original KIs it's going to be glitches, infinites, and stupidity at the lowest levels of serious play.

I think the game looks worse every time they show it off, especially the new mechanics they added for this release. But I'm hoping it does well in the casual market. I like Rich, so a success at his new job would be nice to hear. Likewise it's going to look pretty, and hopefully get some significantly less stiff animation before release, so despite KI being a joke for anything remotely serious it should be a great let's get drunk and virtual fight game.

• Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kyoka Suigetsu on
    When's Marvel?

Right now folks. Marvel top 8 with SF top eight to follow.

ChrisG and Champ got better as the day went on, but are both in losers. Angelic made it in winners. The people in top eight are on page two, there's someone you can root for. Let's hope this shit and SF make up for the lull from KoF to now.

Think I am going to pick up Marvel. I haven't played a fighting game in a while, and I love the characters in MvC.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Think I am going to pick up Marvel. I haven't played a fighting game in a while, and I love the characters in MvC.
    The netcode is terrible if you want to take it seriously. If you just want to have fun though it's playable online. Mechanically it's like every other versus series game from Children of the Atom to MvC2; you've got a hell of a sandbox to play in regardless of how casually or seriously you want to take it.

• Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Which fighting games have decent netcode (and always assume I'm going to take it casually...I play very few games with any seriousness).

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    If there's a reason I purchase an xbox one vs. a ps4, Killer Instinct is the game that'll sway me one way or the other. So much happy arcade memories in that game.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    MvC3 bores me to tears.

Which fighting games have decent netcode (and always assume I'm going to take it casually...I play very few games with any seriousness).
    If you like the characters in Marvel then you cannot go wrong for a game to play casually, especially if fighters aren't one of your main genres. Not many games will give you a combo engine as accessible and with as many characters. I wouldn't worry too much about netcode barring a few exceptions if you're just playing it for fun.

Since it's the Evo thread and those have been on display today on one stream, Street Fighter (the game after marvel) has the best. Good connections on console, slightly better connections on the PC version. You can take it decently serious online.

King of Fighters is complete crap tier. Hopefully the steam release gets something better than the console release. It's hard to recommend even for casuals.

Marvel is alright for casual play. The bigger issue might be the people playing online in random ranked and lobby matches have been playing for a long time before factoring in lag. Fantastic bang for the buck whether you like marvel, capcom, or just want a sandbox combo engine to mess around in.

Melee can't be played online on the Cube, but Brawl can be played online on the Wii or Wii U, pretty bad netcode. Not sure how bad it is for casual play though since I only ever played Brawl with roommates.

Injustice is bad but probably playable for casuals once you get used to it. This is not based on personal experience, I don't own it and likely never will, but a lot of people play it here so you can hit that thread for the multiple opinions. Even without the DLC there's a solid casual game there, especially if you like DC. Nether Realm Studios just isn't my thing.

For other side games and non today top eight Evo games...

Tekken Tag 2 and Soul Calibur 5 have great netcode. A lot of characters and customization for the casual level, and a lot of depth if you ever get even a tiny bit interested in taking it seriously.

MK9 is around KoF, terrible online. I hate the game outside of buying the komplete edition to do nothing but throw fans and use down+2 as Katana, but I think it's fun for a casual fighter. A lot of fighters, some varied costumes especially with the komplete edition that's pretty cheap, and good nostalgia factor for most people too.

Persona 4 Arena uses the BlazBlu netcode, or something similar to it. Supposed to be solid online. Uses persona characters from Persona Four in a fighting game. Great casual game, great tourney game. Casually if you've played any other chain combo game like marvel, blaxblue, guilty gear, darkstalkers, you'll recognize what you can do.

Skull Girls is available on XBL/PSN, great netcode. Small roster of characters for the casual player, but there is a demo to try it out. Chain combo game that can be fun to play casually but, as much as I like the game and hate to say it, for casual play you probably want the most bang for your buck which means more characters to mess around with.

Street Fighter X Tekken is usually okay for casuals. Sometimes it's as good as SF:AE, other times it chugs like you're on a 56k. Even without the DLC characters has a big roster and fun engine, but you'd probably get more mileage out of SF4:AE edition which is getting another update next year and will have more people playing online than SFXT with better netcode.

For non-Evo games, to try and keep this wall of text somewhat manageable, you've got great netcode in some XBLA/PSN releases like Marvel Vs Capcom Origins, Third Strike Online, Street Fighter 2: High Def Remix, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, maybe the Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure release can't remember, and the Darkstalkers 2 and 3 combo release, Darkstalkers Reborn or whatever it's officially called.

Games with bad netcode on XBLA/PSN are the king of fighters 98 and KoF 2002 releases, and almost every other SNK release. A handful are decent to good (I think Battle Colisseum and maybe Samurai Showdown 2 are the ones, but it's been a long time since I've checked it) but most are sadly garbage. And I really like those games and wanted the releases to get solid netcode.

You've got the BlazBlue series which has solid netcode through all the revisions. Decently popular on the boards here but I think most of those guys are playing Persona until the new release comes out in Japan in the fall and either import or wait and hope for a U.S. release. I haven;t put much time into the series since the first release, especially since they released Guilty Gear on XBLA.

And just to wrap this up, Guilty Gear Accent Core is a great casual game, but I've heard mixed things on the netcode. I've only played it locally so I don't know what the netcode is like currently.

GOD DAMN

SHUMA-FUCKING-GORATH.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    There's not enough hype in this thread
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA
    ITS MAHVEL BABY

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    This has actually been a fantastic top 8 so far.
    I was expecting to see nothing but Doctor Doom-offs.

@Column: How is Street Fighter 4 for a casual player? And is Super SF4 Arcade Edition the latest version?

Sokpuppet wrote: »
    This has actually been a fantastic top 8 so far.
    I was expecting to see nothing but Doctor Doom-offs.

More like Zeros all day

urquanlord88.png
    @Column: How is Street Fighter 4 for a casual player? And is Super SF4 Arcade Edition the latest version?
    Net code solid. Game play, just ask yourself if you ever liked SF2. There's no parries so it's night and day different from SF3. But if you ever liked playing SF2 back in the day in the arcade or on a console at home, especially for casual plays, nostalgia plays, etc. you're going to like it. A ton of characters, ton of depth if you ever get around to it like you'll see after marvel if you're still watching Evo, and you can get it relatively cheaply for console or PC.

Plus even if most of the fighter people seem to be in the SE++ thread now, there's a ton of guys here who will still play SF4, decent range of skill levels and the guys that are good are always happy to play training style games so you can work on your game even if it's just to beat a friend that's giving you trouble.

edited July 2013
    Well, SSF4 AE I can get on my PS3 digital style...UMvC I'd have to go buy. I am a huge fan of convenience and laziness, so I am leaning that way.

And I loved SF2 as a kid, even if I was terrible at it.

GnomeTank on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    As a non-fighting game fan, that has been watching this stream all day for whatever the fuck reason I'm watching it for, is this game basically just whomever gets the first hit in wins instantly?

Cause that's what it looks like.

I enjoyed KoF Smash and Injustice more so far.

edited July 2013
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    As a non-fighting game fan, that has been watching this stream all day for whatever the fuck reason I'm watching it for, is this game basically just whomever gets the first hit in wins instantly?

Yeah, basically.
    They incorporated heat-up mechanics but forgot to add bursts and the result is even more of a broken mess than the previous game, with a smaller cast. MvC3 is kind of bad. Not to rain haterade on the hype train or anything :-)
    Well, SSF4 AE I can get on my PS3 digital style...UMvC I'd have to go buy. I am a huge fan of convenience and laziness, so I am leaning that way.

SSF4 AE is on sale on Steam right as well.
    Also I'm 99% sure MvC3 is available for download from the PS3 store, and 100% sure that P4A is.

Sokpuppet on
    edited July 2013
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Basically, there are a couple of picks that have unending combos but it can be countered or dropped

But essentially I just listen to the commentary

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yay, deuces Filipino Champ.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited July 2013

SSF4 AE is on sale on Steam right as well.
    Also I'm 99% sure MvC3 is available for download from the PS3 store, and 100% sure that P4A is.

When I search for UMvC 3 on the PSN store, it says Disc only.

e: Thanks for letting me know about it being on sale on Steam, I went ahead and grabbed it.

GnomeTank on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    I'm so happy right now.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    @Column Virtua Fighter has good netcode and it's a good deal for 15 bucks.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Well Champ is out

So that's something.

They both offer completely different ways to play so it's hard to say which one you might like over the other. Given what you've said about liking mvc's characters and liking SF2 in the past, you'd probably like both. I think Ultimate MvC3 is usually cheap on Amazon, but I've owned it since release so I'm not sure how that price is compared to brick and mortar. And yeah, AE is very easy to get digitally. Just make sure you read everything carefully if you want the DLC sotumes. They don't affect the gameplay at all, just the outfit the character wears so they're completely

Since they're so different form one another they're good primers for dipping into other games too, even casually. Like, if you like the way the combo engine is in ultimate marvel, then you already know how to use chains if a game like persona catches your eye since you like the persona rpgs or something. Or say a friend has king of fighters 13, you've got the general idea covered from playing SF.

There's going to be more game specific stuff you can get into no matter how seriously you'd ever take new stuff, but at their most basic level you can reduce most games to playing like SF2 or playing like a Marvel or Darkstalkers chain combo engine game. Most people in America are most familiar with playing those games at some point in an arcade or at home.

edited July 2013
    @Column Virtua Fighter has good netcode and it's a good deal for 15 bucks.
    I knew I'd forget something worthwhile in that wall of text. And I forgot one I really like even if I rarely play it.

And here come the Champ tears. Just need the ChrisG tears to follow.

And Marvel's never had bursts. Bursts would be horse shit in Marvel. Leave them in games like Guilty Gear, and its inferior copies like Persona and BlazBluwhere, they belong.

Embrace the differences, Smash is trash, Opinions!, fuck haters, etc., etc.

Good shit Justin...need two more though...
    JUSTIN WOOOOONG!!! STill need one more fucking get it done son!!!

Column on
    edited July 2013
    *shrug*

Even Injustice has bursts - because they work very well as a balance mechanic.
    I was surprised at how interesting the game is. I've always dismissed it because it's not my style at all, but it was looking really solid.

Sokpuppet on
    Oh. My. God. Losers semis JWong vs. ChrisG. Final game giving me heart attacks.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    Justin

come on man

Wow, heart attack city there.

Dat Wong factor.

• GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    WHOAH. Just...wow.

*shrug*

Even Injustice has bursts - because they work very well as a balance mechanic.
    I was surprised at how interesting the game is. I've always dismissed it because it's not my style at all, but it was looking really solid.
    As much as I've, mostly jokingly, shit on some games in here hoping some of the other GT would venture in even if you yell at me, it's differnet strokes. I can't stand NRS, mostly MK9 even if I like Kitana, but get why people like Injustice. Two or three games from now I might even like NRS.

I also said that earlier because I like my bursts in GG ( I even like persona and BB, just like GG better) where it feels right. Marvel wouldn't feel right at all with bursts. I don't blame people for hating it for lacking them either, especially with people getting into mvc3 who never played any prior versus series.

And thank you Justin Marvelous King of Chinatown Wong for that delicious ChrisG salt. Let the twitter hate flow Chris, you know you want to...type with those tears...

chris g got DA WONG NUMBAH

• GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I feel kinda sorry for Chris. I mean he's been bar none the most dominant marvel player all year and a respectable threat in injustice. I can't imagine that kind of pressure. Also, get ready for the PS3 lag/Monitor lag/Sun was in my eyes, twitter tears.

Kinda hoping for Angelic, but not sure if he can handle Flockers Zero.

Gigaton on
    Gigaton wrote: »
    I feel kinda sorry for Chris. I mean he's been bar none the most dominant marvel player all year and a respectable threat in injustice. I can't imagine that kind of pressure. Also, get ready for the PS3 lag/Monitor lag/Sun was in my eyes, twitter tears.
    I love the fact he made my favorite shoto of all time relevant outside of Vampire Hunter, I think the only other game she hasn't sucked ass in. I love lame play; I never even bitched about people playing lame to win via timeout every match during vanilla SFxT.

But ChrisG is the whiniest mother fucking baby who cannot take a loss, no matter how it happens, no matter how much he deserved to lose by getting outplayed, playing like crap, whatever.

And dammit Shuma...you were supposed to kill the robot to be in Grands in winners not losers...