As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Angelic :(

• Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    Cloud has definitely earned my respect. I screamed like a 5yo girl when he evaded the hailstorm with Dante.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the people who rarely play, if not flat out don't play, fighters for hanging out with the few of us who are posting here.

You and the lurkers were the only reason I've been talking mostly to myself in this thread to see if anyone was left in GT watching Evo compared to all the SE++ people I know are watching it.

And if Marvel isn't doing it for you hang around; from what most of you guys have said you'll probably like SF4.

And good shit to Cloud!

Column on
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    I'M SO CONFLICTED, BOTH THE HEROES ARE FACING OFF!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It just feels so weird that there's an EVO where the only game I care even a little about is SF4. Usually I watch anyway, but every time I tuned in it was putting me to sleep.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    These are not the Marvel finals I predicted.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    angelic cracked

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    This marvel finals has been a blast to watch. Makes me want to start playing again.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    It just feels so weird that there's an EVO where the only game I care even a little about is SF4. Usually I watch anyway, but every time I tuned in it was putting me to sleep.
    I know you're mostly a 3D guy page but...how much did you watch Friday? Top 64 or so to top 8 were easily the best SF4 matches since the game came out. They weren't all that good obviously, but more of them than not featured a character like Makoto making it look like 3S, PR Rog beating Infiltration, Daigo getting sent to losers for doing three ume shoryus in a row, all blocked, then making top eight doing two or three ume shoryus in a row all hitting and then chipping, all kinds of awesome shit.

• Options
    VWHeX.jpg

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    Twitch is such garbage these days. Can't watch shit without crazy lag.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was working Friday, checked in Saturday and looked at the schedule then decided to go see a movie instead, then checked the schedule again for Sunday and figured I'd see how KI was progressing (bleh), then the SSF4 announcement. I guess Marvel gives me time to make some popcorn.

I'd assume the matches were good. The game is old enough that people aren't going to be losing to terrible gimmicks past really early pools. That's what happens as a competitive game gets old. The skill floor rises and rises to get closer to the ceiling, so half-assing things doesn't cut it anymore.

If anything, I regret missing the Smash finals. Which is another thing I never thought I'd do.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Jwong turning it up

• Options
    Justin

Justin

Justin

JUSTIN

JUSTIN

• Options
    Page- wrote: »
    I was working Friday, checked in Saturday and looked at the schedule then decided to go see a movie instead, then checked the schedule again for Sunday and figured I'd see how KI was progressing (bleh), then the SSF4 announcement. I guess Marvel gives me time to make some popcorn.

I'd assume the matches were good. The game is old enough that people aren't going to be losing to terrible gimmicks past really early pools. That's what happens as a competitive game gets old. The skill floor rises and rises to get closer to the ceiling, so half-assing things doesn't cut it anymore.
    Ah, okay, I see what you meant now re-reading that post.

As long as top 8 is even a fraction as good as getting to top 8 was Friday night AE should be up there with Bronson beating NIN (you need to find a way to watch old man Bronson get shit done through top 8) and Reynald channeling Charles Bronson through the entire top 8 in KoF.

• Options
    holy.
    shit.

• Options
    GOOOD SHIT WONG! ONE MORE FUCKING SET!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Dang.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Holy crap

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    The clutchness. Unbelievable.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    I AM DEAD OH MY CHRIST THAT RESET AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    ahahaha raging demon

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    peeeeerrrrrfeeeect!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    this set is too fuckin much

• Options
    I'm feeling this set

IN MY CHEST

MY HEART CAN'T TAKE IT.

• Options
    OHFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

• Options
    What a way to go...drop the TAC infinite and that was the end of the match right there...

Good shit to Flocker though. Great set for Grands.

• Options
    That

Was

Ridiculous

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I don't know how the SSF4 matches can be more epic? This game has so many of those ... moments. Guile's theme was playing the entire Top 8.

EDIT: It's also really refreshing to have a champion who doesn't come off as a prick in the FGC. Flocker was all class, that entire set was hype, respect, and just compelling to watch. It wasn't a straight shutout of wins, and there wasn't anyone running their mouth afterwards. Such a great finals for Marvel.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Alright, so now it's time for Street Fighter 4 top eight.

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012 — Top 8
    Winners bracket
    DM|Xian (Gen) vs. HORI|Sako (Ibuki, Evil Ryu)
    EG|PR Balrog (Balrog) vs. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)

Losers bracket
    MCZ|Daigo (Ryu) vs. Infiltration (Akuma)
    AvM|GamerBee (Adon) vs. Haitani (Makoto)

Will it be a repeat of Friday night where almost every match was phenominal? Or will Infiltration show why Akuma needs to find a ditch and die for killing the act of spectating the game? Find out after Ono's announcement where we learn what the new update will be called!

• Options
    All I can say after that top 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

• Options
    I don't know how the SSF4 matches can be more epic? This game has so many of those ... moments. Guile's theme was playing the entire Top 8.

It's more like Justin has so many of those moments.
    Seems like every top 8 he's in gets dramatic.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Trying to understand links and cancels, and practicing with Akuma, while I wait for the SF 4 finals to start.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

EDIT: It's also really refreshing to have a champion who doesn't come off as a prick in the FGC. Flocker was all class, that entire set was hype, respect, and just compelling to watch. It wasn't a straight shutout of wins, and there wasn't anyone running their mouth afterwards. Such a great finals for Marvel.

This Evo is the first I've seriously watched the FGC, but it was easy to identify the "villains" and the "good guys". Was nice to see two class guys in the finals. (I understand Justin Wong wasn't always seen as classy, from what I've read, but he seems pretty cool from what I've seen of him this weekend).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Links are one of those dumbnesses that fighting games still have to deal with. At least SF4 is fairly upfront about it, though. It's not like Tekken where you need to know how to backdash cancel properly in order to actually move around, but nobody ever seems to want to talk about that.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Ono is on stage. Please Deep Down, Deep Down, Deep Down. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    My god, I can't understand a word he's saying!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    Ono reminds me of drunk Donger from 16 Candles.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Ultra?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2013
    SF4 links are a pointlessly huge pain in the ass. There is no reason for half the cast to have BnB's requiring 1-frame links.
    I guess I'm too much a student of the Guilty Gear school of thought.

u-u-ultra?
    street fighter?

0_0

yes. I will buy this.

Edit: oh, it's not a hyper. hype significantly reduced.

Sokpuppet on