As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Probably had MvC on the brain after that final. Don't blame him.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    I love you Ono.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Trying to understand links and cancels, and practicing with Akuma, while I wait for the SF 4 finals to start.
    Typically, the easiest way to think of links, especially SF4 links with the game speed, is rhythm. Your average link, be it one frame or two frame will carry over from character to character. You only need to worry about weird ass timings with certain links like dudley's standing or close roundhouse link. For akkuma just rhythmically tap crouching jab, crouching jab, crouching strong.

For a cancel you just do what was called a two-in-one forever ago. Do the hadouken motion (quarter circle forward, or down, down-towards, towards) and at the start of the motion do a crouching forward, and when you finish the motion hit punch, and you'll see the crouching medium kick combo into a fireball. You can cancel normals that allow this into whatevr special. So instead of fireball you could do a dragon punch, or hurricane kick instead.

Putting them together you can do, while crouching, low punch, low punch, link to medium punch, cancel into fireball/uppercut/tatsu for a basic combo that helps you learn the two.

You can also plink or double tap (plinking is better for one frame links, double tapping is better at either two or three frame links, can't remember). Plinking is where you tap the button you want to hit for the link (saw crouching strong for akuma using the same example) and then hit jab right afgter. In training mode this will show up as you hitting strong twice, once as strong alone, and right after that hitting strong+jab at the same time.

Between Eventhubs, SRK, IPlayWinner, YouTube, the forums here, there's a ton of resources to get the absolute basics like that down.

And, as others have said, links are debateable on just how dumb they are, but even chain combo engines have them. They'll always exist when moves are tied to frames.

It's all in the timing; one frame links in SF for most of the cast are not that bad and very easy to learn compared to most games. Like the Dudley example I gave, only a few characters have absolutely awkward and why teh fuck why timings. You also don't need them at all for casual play, but they're incredibly easy to learn, and be it Rose, Ryu, Akuma, or Cody (the four characters I used) there's a character you can find that will teach you the timing for most links in the game while also teaching you how to vary that timing if/when need be.

Again, I cannot stress enough how easy it really is to do them if you want to in SF4, and how easy they are to ignore for just using two in ones/cancels for casual play.

Column on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    lol the fighting game community we're all a part of it, regardless of the games we play!

sure buddy.

Though if you actually go to tournaments that's much closer to the truth. Just never log onto a forum or look at a stream chat.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Seems a little lame that they stuffed all the SF4 action in on Friday and made me skip watching yesterday while they played 10 shitty less popular games on stream. Now all I get to see is top 8 making me miss sleep. Which always happens, but shit play some SF4 on Saturday.

On a related note I hope Haitani does well. Haven't seen his Makoto since some Australian tournament a while ago. (Spoiler: Xian will win.) (Spoiler spoiler: Probably Infiltration, but I haven't seen him play in a while.)

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    And here we fucking go! Daigo versus Infiltration, losers bracket starting off with what should be a damn good fight.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    lol the fighting game community we're all a part of it, regardless of the games we play!

sure buddy.

Though if you actually go to tournaments that's much closer to the truth. Just never log onto a forum or look at a stream chat.

To be fair, that's sound advice for EVERY game community - no exceptions.

So glad to see the thread blow-up today. I've been away most of the day so only caught the first part of the KOF finals and the very final match of Marvel. Sounds like some amaaaaazing stuff.

If you missed matches like I did, you should be able to see the matches in the twitch archives starting tomorrow. Barring that, I guarantee most, if not all of the finals for all the games, will start going up on YouTube.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    For a second I thought they were still in button check.
    lol Daigo...

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

sure buddy.

To be fair, that's sound advice for EVERY game community - no exceptions.

So glad to see the thread blow-up today. I've been away most of the day so only caught the first part of the KOF finals and the very final match of Marvel. Sounds like some amaaaaazing stuff.

If you missed matches like I did, you should be able to see the matches in the twitch archives starting tomorrow. Barring that, I guarantee most, if not all of the finals for all the games, will start going up on YouTube.

There is some exception, but that's still mostly the dreaded '09er syndrome. I was honestly dumbfounded seeing lol stream monsters bitch about having to watch Quake finals during dreamhack. That's the kind of thing I do only expect from the fighting game communities.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    WHY YOU NO ULTRA!? But holy shit great end to that round...

Bah...good shit Daigo...but you were supposed to eliminate him so he didn't havea chance to ruin top 8 with Akuma...

Get it done Makoto! Pretend it's 3S like Friday!

Column on
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    What a first match. God damn

• Options
    edited July 2013
    At least Akuma makes better television than Chun-("The Turtle")-Li

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Haitani w/ Makoto and Gamerbee w/ Adon is one of those unfortunate match-ups where I wish they'd both be able to advance.

• Options
    I remember last year's top 8 being really sloppy. Seems it might go in that direction again.

stream
  • Options
    YES! Good shit Makoto!

I love you gamerbee but makaoto!

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    I just want Makoto to punch everybody in the balls on her way to the championship.

• Options
    Haitaini's Makoto is an absolute goddam beast. Adon got mauled.

• Options
    Ibuki vs Gen evo top 8 is pmuch a dream come true.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yes, a Gen.

I miss watching Yeb play.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Xian is my SF4 hero for this EVO.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Thankfully is winners. On the one hand Sako, and Ibuki. On the other, Xian, and Gen.

DBZ power ups, the weighted clothing is off, kaio-ken times ten, over nine thousand, memes!

Column on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yes, a Gen.

When Gen got nerfed the cowardly abandoned him and Xian stepped up.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna start playing SF again this week. It's been far too long.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    FightTest wrote: »
    Yes, a Gen.

When Gen got nerfed the cowardly abandoned him and Xian stepped up.

Well, yeb joined the Air Force as far as I know.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Oh lordy that super!

• Options
    Nice. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Good shit guys, can't wait to see Sako fight out of losers.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    That's actually just bread and butter for Gen. He builds meter whenever he thinks a dirty thought.
    Xian won that on spacing and Gen's walk speed.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Love the character variety these days. No more stage full of Rufus and Ryu.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Rog needs to forget Fei exists... I can't think of the last time I've seen him on stream not need Boxer to get anything done, especially for money...

• Options
    Again Pr Rog leads with Fei and again gets smoked.

• Options
    Ugh, Akuma vs. Akuma GF with Infiltration running a train on Tokido would be the worst possible outcome. Please don't happen!

• Options
    Makoto vs Gen GF!

• Options
    Come on Sako, channel your inner Vampire Savior and plow through this fool at max CPM!

• Options
    Seriously, I just don't like Infiltration...not sure why. I just don't like his playstyle I guess..or maybe it's just Akuma.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    At least the matches are close and interesting... but damn you Infiltration...damn you...
    Grove wrote: »
    Seriously, I just don't like Infiltration...not sure why. I just don't like his playstyle I guess..or maybe it's just Akuma.
    I don't mind the guy at all. Appreciate the dedication, and the desire to get shit done. But in doing that it can get boring to spectate an Akuma cleaning house non-fucking-stop. Comapre that to him pulling out his Hakan and you just instantly hate him for not playing it all the time as a spectator.

It doesn't help, at least to me, that Tokido is so much more fun to watch. That may just be me projecting his stage persona onto his character more than Tokido's actual gameplay though.

Column on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So...torn...America for eight of nine games at Evo (damn you old man Bronson for not making it nine of nine potentially...) but...Haitani who makes Makoto not suck...

Never mind forgot persona went to Japan pretty freely...but you get the point...

Good shit Rog, I was torn there, but not anymore! Fuck Akuma up!

Column on
  • Options
    Freedom Prevails!

Go 'Rog!

• Options
    comeeeee on Xian letsssssss gooooooooooooo!

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Feels like Balrog is getting away with murder with all those focus attacks. Wonder if it's going to get shutdown in the next match(es?) or if he'll continue to surprise with it

JKKaAGp.png