As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn] Next Beta This Wednesday July 10 (Lasts Five Days!)

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    As someone who is BootCamping on a Macbook Pro right now, FF14 runs pretty great on High with no fiddling on my part. Of cource, FMMV based on specs.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kainy wrote: »
    Now, back to fifteen posts about one person's incredibly specific hardware question and victim complex.

Seriously? The quote isn't at all exaggerated. It really is that bad. There are several threads where someone asks a Mac related question and it literally turns into page upon page of people bashing Macs.

EDIT: Example... http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/60337-ARR-and-Mac?highlight=macbook+air

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    @Esh

I have an Air, but I don't have Bootcamp. I have Parallels though. It's not the newest one, 4000IG not 5.

I can download the benchmark and give it a go if you want.

Sure why, not. It should give me a base to measure against. Thanks!
    Gyral wrote: »
    As someone who is BootCamping on a Macbook Pro right now, FF14 runs pretty great on High with no fiddling on my part. Of cource, FMMV based on specs.

Which one are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Acharenus wrote: »
    Are duties like instant adventures in rift?

No, they're basically training quests you do in a group. They teach people how to prioritize targets and not stand in the fire.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the dungeon duties.

Esh on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Esh wrote: »

No, they're basically training quests you do in a group. They teach people how to prioritize targets and not stand in the fire.

What? They're exactly like the spontaneous things in Rift, WAR, etc.

edit: No wait, I'm wrong, those are FATEs not duties.

Kamar on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kamar wrote: »

Guildhests? They are basically WoW scenarios. I'm assuming duties mean dutyfinder.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I don't like how you get this one quest in Gridania at Level 14, but you need to be a higher level to accomplish it. :/

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    clarifying the above^

FATE: spontaneous localized events. Give good exp, easy to participate
    Guildhest: Grouping training wheels. Limited, specific scenarios with spoon fed explanations and a massive exp bonus for doing them the first time in a possibly vain attempt to teach people the basics of partying. If that sounded snarky, believe me, god bless squeenix for making the effort. Accessed via the duty finder, which is confusing. Supported by a groupfinder.
    Duty: the classic dungeon. Also supported by a groupfinder. Oddly, story events seems to be handled by the same system, so you will sometimes see solo story quests referred to as a duty.

Soo, some more thoughts after the latest beta round.

Leveling looks pretty painless, at least up until level ~20. The main storyline ends at that point to preserve the mystery of the story, which I appreciate. The tasty little starter quest hubs also seem to dry up as well, which I am hoping for the same reason. I don't particularly enjoy the levequest system.

Even with that, the Fate system (spontaneous little group quests that pop up randomly all over the place) provide solid exp even when downleveling to participate in ones half your level. The hunting log is also an invaluable tool. It's not just a completionists treadmill. The exp rewards are significant, and possibly even more importantly, it will direct you to areas appropriate for your level. It was really helpful when I just plain didn't know where to go.

Between the above and duties, (dungeons, yay groupfinder!) leveling is serviceable. If they populate out the mid end endgame questhubbish areas with actual quests, I am going to be a very happy camper.

It's been mentioned several times the map system could be better, but I've been thinking about it and there's not much they could do to improve it. Since the zones are not all to the same scale and wouldn't actually fit together (ala WOW) I think the link structure they are using is the best they can do.

Controller seems very much the way to go, but man, 16 abilities just isn't enough to cover all the things I want when soloing. You definitely need to be disciplined about creating action sets for various activities, or you will for sure end up not using certain abilities because getting to them is too much of a hassle.

Looking forward to running around on Sargateras(sp?) with everyone else hitting things with sticks. So far, so fun.

rpshoggoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Whoops, misread that. I just woke up and my brain isn't working yet.

EDIT: Whoops again, I was right. Definitely too early. DMV, here I come.

Esh on
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I don't like how you get this one quest in Gridania at Level 14, but you need to be a higher level to accomplish it. :/

Which one?

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular

No, I was wrong, I was thinking FATEs not Duties.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    @Esh

I have an Air, but I don't have Bootcamp. I have Parallels though. It's not the newest one, 4000IG not 5.

I can download the benchmark and give it a go if you want.

Sure why, not. It should give me a base to measure against. Thanks!
    Gyral wrote: »

Which one are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Specs in spoiler. I got the 17 inch model a year or so ago (I think - no older than 2 years) and have been running Window 7 with no problem. I run Witcher 2 on high. Hell, with some tweaking, I run GTA4, but everyone has to tweak that game.
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options

No, I was wrong, I was thinking FATEs not Duties.

Oh wait, I was right. I got Hests into my head!

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    RIP my beta character, I miss you already
    Ifgr4QN.jpg

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'll admit, I spend the last part of the beta just fatting around on my Goobbue. I far too enjoy having something a lot of people can't get.

Ha ha haaa.. man I want to play more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Wooo I managed to make it through that whole long testing period without playing!

That was some force of will right there. Well, the steam sale made it a lot easier than it otherwise would have been.

Hopefully the next time I play, I can do so without the fear of a wipe and then, I can be consumed.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Alright, I came up with a way for everyone to remember which server G&T will be playing on.

oQ33O0W.jpg

I know, my photoshop skills are totally insane. Off the hook, if you will.

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Wooo I managed to make it through that whole long testing period without playing!

That was some force of will right there. Well, the steam sale made it a lot easier than it otherwise would have been.

Hopefully the next time I play, I can do so without the fear of a wipe and then, I can be consumed.

On Sunday, I ran Totorak (the level 23 dungeon) with some Free Company associates and of course that's when I get 3 needed archer drops and a greeded level 23 Paladin/Gladiator unique sword (Frostbite? I plan on going Paladin MUCH later in the game after Archer/Bard is finished). The RNG mock me. Wipes, ugh.

Esh on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I remember hearing how awful FF14 was when it originally launched, and scoffed at the idea that they could actually pull off totally remaking it into a good game.

The beta sold me. I'm in. Let's do this.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Yoshi-P is a wizard, you see.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ok hi GT i would like to propose the name Lalafell House for free company name

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    idk man that might not be pretentious/nerdy enough. And it certainly doesn't reference PA or (bonus points) start with the letters P and A.

j/k I love you guys.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    idk man that might not be pretentious/nerdy enough. And it certainly doesn't reference PA or (bonus points) start with the letters P and A.

j/k I love you guys.

I think you mean it doesn't have enough dick references in it.

• Options
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    ok hi GT i would like to propose the name Lalafell House for free company name

Falafell House!

• Options
    International House OF Falafells

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Did We Are Nice Guys get a no no from GMs? The fact that we get to have an abbreviation makes it particularly attractive

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    I don't think it was tried. I don't see any reason to change from We Are Nice Guys atm. If a GM makes us change it we can cross that bridge later.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I don't think it was tried. I don't see any reason to change from We Are Nice Guys atm. If a GM makes us change it we can cross that bridge later.

Mostly because an entire community in PA doesn't really like it. Personally I don't have much attachment to the WANG thing (other than my own deep personal attachment with my own :winky: ) but I've never really been a fan of it as a Guild name. The joke feels played out to me.

However I don't particularly care in general what the name is so I'll leave it up to GT and SE++ to come to a consensus and agree upon something. My suggestion would be to put out some names, and then make a poll (on a separate site of course) with the most popular ones (decided my number of likes?) and get a vote.

It's up to you guys though, If SE++ and GT and going to play nice though I think finding some common ground on the name would be ideal instead of one side forcing the name on the other. :D

After all SE++ is setting aside their dislike of the server name to join GT for fun times, so forcing another name they don't like on them might be a bit much.

We should start a new tradition on mutual interests and camaraderie!

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    A poll! A Poll! We demand a poll!

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    i don't actually have a horse in this race, although I'm more SE++ than G&T.

But I REALLY want the guild name to be <Dot Dot Dot>.

Because ...

• Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options

Mostly because an entire community in PA doesn't really like it. Personally I don't have much attachment to the WANG thing (other than my own deep personal attachment with my own :winky: ) but I've never really been a fan of it as a Guild name. The joke feels played out to me.

However I don't particularly care in general what the name is so I'll leave it up to GT and SE++ to come to a consensus and agree upon something. My suggestion would be to put out some names, and then make a poll (on a separate site of course) with the most popular ones (decided my number of likes?) and get a vote.

It's up to you guys though, If SE++ and GT and going to play nice though I think finding some common ground on the name would be ideal instead of one side forcing the name on the other. :D

After all SE++ is setting aside their dislike of the server name to join GT for fun times, so forcing another name they don't like on them might be a bit much.

I don't have any attachment to WANG either, really. As I've said before my personal first choice is/was Claw Shrimp, and that was actually a SE++ thing in the first place; however I'm not sure how many folks that were in SE++ then are even around now, because that was a decade ago.

Then again, this is actually why I personally think it'd be a better idea to simply start with just a Linkshell for the first little bit. Throwing a Free Company with ranks, officers, etc, into the mix when things are already a bit shaky just feels like it's asking for drama when that's what isn't needed at all.

But in the end, I don't have that strong of an opinion either way on the FC thing; except that I'm against "lalafel" anything. :P

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    easy solution: everyones head officer, no supreme leaders

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

I don't have any attachment to WANG either, really. As I've said before my personal first choice is/was Claw Shrimp, and that was actually a SE++ thing in the first place; however I'm not sure how many folks that were in SE++ then are even around now, because that was a decade ago.

Then again, this is actually why I personally think it'd be a better idea to simply start with just a Linkshell for the first little bit. Throwing a Free Company with ranks, officers, etc, into the mix when things are already a bit shaky just feels like it's asking for drama when that's what isn't needed at all.

But in the end, I don't have that strong of an opinion either way on the FC thing; except that I'm against "lalafel" anything. :P

Well you can't even make a Free Company until lvl 25 so I'm not too worried about that part (although obviously with legacy chars that's less of an issue even though you still have to do the prerequisite story stuff first)

I do however think all this stuff should be hammered out now before the game actually releases so it's one less thing to worry about. After all we've got nothing better to do while we wait so we may as well use the downtime in the thread for stuff like this instead of trying to hash it out when it's flooded with the standard new MMO rush of questions and excitement.

Obviously we'll throw up a linkshell first just for organization but we really should have this name thing figured out before beta 4. No time like the present! Especially since both groups are vocal about the idea at the moment, now is a perfect time to talk it out.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Well, lets work it out then!

Is there a way we could do a poll? Not on this site, since we can't do that here; but is there a website that can do a poll for us? How do we make sure everyone can be counted; just have it be on them, and if people miss it, they miss it?

Set up a Google Doc with a few nominated names, and then a player/forumer list to ensure only one vote per forumer, then tally it up?

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    As always with any guild name suggestions, with any game. I make a few suggestions but my favorite will always be:

<Pretentious Guild Name> - Although its less fun in FFXIV because you don't display the full name.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Is there a way we could do a poll? Not on this site, since we can't do that here; but is there a website that can do a poll for us? How do we make sure everyone can be counted; just have it be on them, and if people miss it, they miss it?

Set up a Google Doc with a few nominated names, and then a player/forumer list to ensure only one vote per forumer, then tally it up?

SurveyMonkey might be what you're looking for.

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

SurveyMonkey might be what you're looking for.

Google Docs works great for this as well. Just create a form for people to fill out and the data can be viewed in the the google spreadsheets.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    As always with any guild name suggestions, with any game. I make a few suggestions but my favorite will always be:

<Pretentious Guild Name> - Although its less fun in FFXIV because you don't display the full name.

One I saw in WoW before I liked was <Ominous Greek Words>

But I think my personal favorite 'stupid' guild name of all time is <Tom Sellecks Mustache> :lol:

This discussion has been closed.