As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn] Next Beta This Wednesday July 10 (Lasts Five Days!)

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    What's the length limit on fc names? And I guess character names too while I'm asking

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    What's the length limit on fc names? And I guess character names too while I'm asking

I seem to remember 20 characters total (Pre and Sur) for character names. I could be wrong though.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular

After all SE++ is setting aside their dislike of the server name to join GT for fun times, so forcing another name they don't like on them might be a bit much.

I haven't been keeping up. Did the two groups finally decide to play together? If so, then as a third party, I would agree, a little more compromise would be nice (if you are all going to Sarganatas, maybe even let them select the name since you selected the server).

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    am0n wrote: »

After all SE++ is setting aside their dislike of the server name to join GT for fun times, so forcing another name they don't like on them might be a bit much.

I haven't been keeping up. Did the two groups finally decide to play together? If so, then as a third party, I would agree, a little more compromise would be nice (if you are all going to Sarganatas, maybe even let them select the name since you selected the server).

Overall it seems both SE++ and GT will be rolling on Sargatanas in the interest of having more people to play with in general (also having more people left over when people inevitably leave in a few months ;) )

Given there is ample time before we make the FC there is no reason to not let everyone put in suggestions and vote on the more popular. The only reason Sargatanas was chosen was because no one cared at the time and it only became an issue later when it was too late to change it because of server transfers.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I vote Chocoboners

Not really.

But we need a joke option, so yes really.

• ArkadyArkady Registered User regular

I agree, not the least because falaffel house is fantastic.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    How are they handling the ones that existed before, did they just wipe all the companies, leaving the characters only?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    edited July 2013
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    How are they handling the ones that existed before, did they just wipe all the companies, leaving the characters only?

Yup everything from 1.0 was wiped except the characters. I don't even know if Free Companies existed in 1.0 though I think it was only Linkshells.

1.0 was kind of a mess :(

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Technically, they wiped everything. But they are loading characters from memory.

Technically, they wiped everything. But they are loading characters from memory.

The best kind of correct ;)

delphinidaes.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I'm always partial to Chocobo Falafell (comes close to chickpea falafel) as a linkshell or FC.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Renzo wrote: »
    I vote Chocoboners

Not really.

But we need a joke option, so yes really.

LarLar is the only joke option we need.

Yukira on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, someone should gather up some nominations and set up a poll or something.

I kinda think the FC name should have some relation to PA; but I think it also shouldn't be so silly that it'll feel dumb pretty quick. Falafel House is funny, but it might not seem as funny a year from now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So I switched to conjurer for the last couple days, just to see how healing was on an actual healing class. Fun! If simple whack-a-mole. Not too hard with a controller either! Although I think it was probably little slower than mouse/keyboard would have been. I liked playing FF11 with controller though, so I'll probably stick with that for 14.

That said, I had the WORST and then most fun group in copperbell mines. The tank was borderline worthless. Would cast his cooldowns before pulling, and then took so long they always wore off before monster hit him. Always hit the defensive limit break when health was at full and we needed DPS. Apparently did not understand about rolling for loot. The lancer ended up tanking most everything. Anything requiring aggro control ended with me heal tanking ineffectively. The lancer and I managed to kill the slime boss on our own (actually the lancer did the last bomb on our own when I miscalculated, but it's hard to run and heal yourself at the same time!). I don't know, in the end it was kind of fun in a keystone cops kind of way. How were we going to win with a tank that seemed to be actively working against us? We finished with about 10 minutes left. Even so, still love this game. I'm usually anti-guild because a) drama and b) I don't like other people trying to turn my game time into a second job but I will probably be seeking one out if it gets me a more stable crew of dungeon runners. I had some amazing runs with free company groups looking for a healer that were completely on top of things. Barely needed to heal at all.

So excited for phase 4. And trying out arcanist. Still can't decide which class to start with, because conjurer was fun. If arcanist has a healing side that will probably move it to top contention though.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I think it's super corny to post at a message board and then also name all your guilds after it. it's like wearing a band t-shirt to that band's concert almost.

but I have no stake in it because I am not crazy enough to roll on Sarg.

Are you the magic man?
    I'm rolling on leviathan I think. This board is just my internet linkshell to talk about the game :)

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    @Delphinidaes Good points. We're not looking to cause another rift based on a name again. However, what I'm going to say is not going to make some people happy, but a few things need to be made clear from those of us setting up the guild.

I'm texting with @Sionnach Rua and he's fine with something different. Sion is having some internet issues right now and cant get on until later this evening, and @Greg USN it out at sea and doesn't have consistent internet to respond. So basically, the two people heading up the PA guild need to catch up on the thread and weigh in on things but cant. A lot of things have been going on in the background outside of this thread setting things up, a lot of it involving people outside of these forums that @Greg USN is bringing with him from Tera. We're going to have to get in touch with those people and make sure they're ok with a name change.

I'm open to choosing a different name, but I would prefer something of a more serious nature than a novelty name. If you want a silly novelty name make it a Linkshell for those of us that want something to represent the more serious nature of how we intend to play the game. WANG, like the server, was decided upon weeks ago, and had we not had the tiff over coming together as a forum on one server this would be easier to rectify.

It's important to acknowledge that is the invest if Gil many of us are going to be making towards guild housing. I'm not entirely comfortable settling on a name voted on by people who are not going to be sticking with this game for a long run, more than a year, after we have invested millions of credits on something under a guild name maybe wasn't our choice.

There is a large group of us within the PA group headed up by @Sionnach Rua and @Greg USN that is looking to do end game content and play the game for longer than a year, and we've been creating an Enjin website to suit our needs around that. The website will be open to anyone in the PA Free Company, but it's primary function is to organize things outside of the PA Forum threads to keep them uncluttered with strategy, min-maxing, crafting talk, and a presence outside of these forums. We'll also be using the calendar to schedule raids or other events like regularly getting larger groups together for doing Guildhests, Levemetes, and Grand Company stuff. Up to now this was all based around being We Are Nice Guys.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    soylenth wrote: »
    I'm rolling on leviathan I think. This board is just my internet linkshell to talk about the game :)

Yeah you are. ; )

Did you app yet?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    @Esh

1366x768 medium

1808 was the score.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Isn't the usual course of action to use We Are Nice Guys as the name, and NICE as the tag? For when you want to be a little juvenile, but not overtly so.

Esh wrote: »

Yeah you are. ; )

Did you app yet?

No, I am lazy. But I will do so before phase 4.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    The discontent with wang goes deeper than the abbreviation, I believe

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    @Esh

1366x768 medium

1808 was the score.

And the Intel HD 5000 is supposed to be 50% again more powerful, so it should run just fine. Thanks!

Cormac wrote: »
    @Delphinidaes Good points. We're not looking to cause another rift based on a name again. However, what I'm going to say is not going to make some people happy, but a few things need to be made clear from those of us setting up the guild.

I'm texting with @Sionnach Rua and he's fine with something different. Sion is having some internet issues right now and cant get on until later this evening, and @Greg USN it out at sea and doesn't have consistent internet to respond. So basically, the two people heading up the PA guild need to catch up on the thread and weigh in on things but cant. A lot of things have been going on in the background outside of this thread setting things up, a lot of it involving people outside of these forums that @Greg USN is bringing with him from Tera. We're going to have to get in touch with those people and make sure they're ok with a name change.

I'm open to choosing a different name, but I would prefer something of a more serious nature than a novelty name. If you want a silly novelty name make it a Linkshell for those of us that want something to represent the more serious nature of how we intend to play the game. WANG, like the server, was decided upon weeks ago, and had we not had the tiff over coming together as a forum on one server this would be easier to rectify.

It's important to acknowledge that is the invest if Gil many of us are going to be making towards guild housing. I'm not entirely comfortable settling on a name voted on by people who are not going to be sticking with this game for a long run, more than a year, after we have invested millions of credits on something under a guild name maybe wasn't our choice.

There is a large group of us within the PA group headed up by @Sionnach Rua and @Greg USN that is looking to do end game content and play the game for longer than a year, and we've been creating an Enjin website to suit our needs around that. The website will be open to anyone in the PA Free Company, but it's primary function is to organize things outside of the PA Forum threads to keep them uncluttered with strategy, min-maxing, crafting talk, and a presence outside of these forums. We'll also be using the calendar to schedule raids or other events like regularly getting larger groups together for doing Guildhests, Levemetes, and Grand Company stuff. Up to now this was all based around being We Are Nice Guys.

That's all fine, but just one point, unlike the server name, the guild name is entirely up to us and there is nothing preventing us from changing it (as opposed to the server name which had the world transfers on it)

I don't see why people coming over from a different game would have any problem with the name changing (I don't know many people who are married to the WANG concept ;) ) so I would suspect it will not be a problem.

That being said the idea is to get the ball rolling on solidifying the name. I don't expect it to be decided today, or even in the next week. But this way it gives everyone time to throw in ideas and talk about it and eventually come up with something that most people like.

For my own stake I really don't care what the name is (I suspect most people are probably in a similar boat) but for those who DO care I think it's fair to let them hash it all out and come up with something everyone is cool with.

delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2013
    What's the etiquette/rules about recruiting for non-PA guilds on here? Verboten or ok? Is my memory of putting a guild link in my sig being ok correct?

Esh on

Yeah you are. ; )

Did you app yet?

We're having a Free Company location vote. I'm going for Gridania but Ul'Dah is creeping up. App and vote for the forest!

edited July 2013
    What's the etiquette/rules about recruiting for non-PA guilds on here? Verboten or ok?

I was always under the impression that a Non-PA person was just a PA person who hasn't visited the forum yet.

No idea on the "official" stance though.

*Edit* Oh you mean using this thread to recruit people for a Guild that isn't PA? I would say etiquette-wise that's probably frowned upon. It is counter-productive to the idea of trying to gather everyone into one PA Free Company.

But I'm in no way an official voice on that.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png

Yeah you are. ; )

Did you app yet?

We're having a Free Company location vote. I'm going for Gridania but Ul'Dah is creeping up. App and vote for the forest!

I like the forest. Will do.

Yeah you are. ; )

Did you app yet?

Are the Free Companies tied to a City-State?

delphinidaes.png
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    What do you mean by recruiting for non-pa guilds? I don't think I'm reading it right. Also I'll post my thoughts on all this stuff that's happened while I've been dealing with the after math of some as who riped off my jobsite

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh

Yeah you are. ; )

Did you app yet?

Are the Free Companies tied to a City-State?

Yeah, every Free Company has to choose a Grand Company. I don't know what it affects though. No one seems to.

What do you mean by recruiting for non-pa guilds? I don't think I'm reading it right. Also I'll post my thoughts on all this stuff that's happened while I've been dealing with the after math of some as who riped off my jobsite

I think he means using this thread to recruit people for a different Free Company on a different server. That's how I interpreted it at least.

delphinidaes.png
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure the free companies are free of the Grand companies like that. Hence the free, and the fact players of separate gcs can all join the same fc

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
    Pretty sure the free companies are free of the Grand companies like that. Hence the free, and the fact players of separate gcs can all join the same fc

Nope, you have to associate a Free Company with a Grand Company.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be on Leviathan too with my fairly large guild. Leviathan bros 4life.

Are you the magic man?
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I am sorry, you lost me when you said we weren't going to be SEA PIRATES.

edited July 2013
    Frei wrote: »
    I'm gonna be on Leviathan too with my fairly large guild. Leviathan bros 4life.

We should swap linkshells at launch. We've got a lot of really, really talented members and an alliance with another Free Company would be great.

Esh on

Do we all have to join that same grand company separately as well? Like could could I join the Ul'dah grand company and then be part of a free company linked to Gridania? Or is this an uknown?

edited July 2013

Do we all have to join that same grand company separately as well? Like could could I join the Ul'dah grand company and then be part of a free company linked to Gridania? Or is this an uknown?

Your character can join any Grand Company. Totally seperate from the Free Company's Grand Company.

Esh on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, when does phase 4 start?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
This discussion has been closed.