As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Tubes apply PER LAUNCHER. 6 tubes will fire 3 SRM6s as one nasty volley.

Hmm. Are you sure that's always the case? Because the STK-5M's NARC hardpoint definitely used to fire missiles one at a time. And a couple weeks ago when I was trying to build an LRM support Thunderbolt people pointed out its second missile hardpoint is only going to have 2 tubes as a drawback.

Also, yesterday I was playing with 4xSRM4 on my STK-3F and the missile don't fire all at once but in two distinct flights, a bigger one and a smaller one...and all of its missile hardpoints should have either 6 or 10 tubes, so I don't know WTF is happening there.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Most mechs have just one set of tubes and use them all at once, i.e. Centurions have 10 tubes in the chest, and will fire 3 LRM10s in one big shot if you load them in. Some mechs have multiple tubes in one hardpoint, i.e. Highlanders have both a 20 and 10 tube slot in the left torso. If you load a LRM 20 and a LRM 10, both will fire as one blob. Two LRM 20s will fire two shots - 30 missile and then 10.

The Victor seems to be odd in that it will only launch missiles one weapon at a time, which is way weird. So, as people have noted, 3 SRM6s will launch in 3 volleys.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »
    The Victor seems to be odd in that it will only launch missiles one weapon at a time, which is way weird. So, as people have noted, 3 SRM6s will launch in 3 volleys.

So it's a chassis-specific (negative) quirk. Damn.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Most mechs have just one set of tubes and use them all at once, i.e. Centurions have 10 tubes in the chest, and will fire 3 LRM10s in one big shot if you load them in. Some mechs have multiple tubes in one hardpoint, i.e. Highlanders have both a 20 and 10 tube slot in the left torso. If you load a LRM 20 and a LRM 10, both will fire as one blob. Two LRM 20s will fire two shots - 30 missile and then 10.

It seems like that's how it's supposed to work. 1 missile per tube per volley. Maybe they just haven't yet updated all of the other mechs to work this way?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    CarbonFire wrote: »

It seems like that's how it's supposed to work. 1 missile per tube per volley. Maybe they just haven't yet updated all of the other mechs to work this way?

I would make a heck of a lot more sense than the Centurion being able to magically launch 30 missiles at once through 10 tubes. The Highlander, by comparison, dynamically adds more tubes when you mount them (which looks badass).

Also, I didn't realize my Highlander could mount 50 LRMs at once.... testing time!

Edit: Testing complete. Slogging around in a 280 Standard sucks, but with an AC2 for plinking action while firing, and 1080 LRMS to burn with a TAG... it's fun. Fairly helpless vs lights, though. Tempted to swap out the AC2 for an LBX and downgrade the engine again... ugh.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    In regards to the title and Mvrck's post, for those who missed it...and update from Paul:
    "We were able to sneak the SRM damage buff into the build for tomorrow's patch. As of tomorrow, SRM damage will be set temporarily to 2.0 (until the hit detection issue is addressed) taking into account the overwhelming response in the buff poll.

Investigation started: For the 30th patch, we are looking at possibly bumping PPC and ERPPC base heat generation. If we do bump the base heat, the heat scale for these weapons will be lowered. This is just an update and not a guarantee that this change will be added to the game."

I am concerned that they are putting way too much stock in the hit detection issue being what ails SRMs and that if/when they fix that they'll go back to being wimpy at 1.5dmg/missile.

However, on the bright side, knowing PGI, it will be MONTHS before they fix the "hit detection issue." :D And in the meantime hopefully we can enjoy more viable gameplay for brawlers, lights, and mediums.

Honestly, SRMs should be given 2 damage per missile as a minimum, and then tweak hit detection etc around that damage level.

I also have no idea what he means by the "heat scale" of PPCs being different than the "base heat".

Totally agree about SRMs.

I started to type commentary/speculation on "heat scale" versus "base heat" with PPC's myself in the last thread and then stopped because I realized that I had no damn clue what he means either.

It seems like Heat Scale is how much heat that weapon can generate before it is considered boating and starts getting boating penalties.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I got a few SRM's mounted in my stalker 3F, when you set them off it's a thing of beauty. Most people seem to want nothing to do with you when they get a barrage of it thrown at them.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I started to type commentary/speculation on "heat scale" versus "base heat" with PPC's myself in the last thread and then stopped because I realized that I had no damn clue what he means either.
    This is why more of you need to read Outreach Broadcast News!
    http://outreachnews.net/heat-scaling-penalties-revealed
    The base heat of a regular PPC is 8. Heat scaling is what will happen if more than 2 are fired in under .5 seconds. The heat cost to fire more than two of them due to the scaling so for instance, firing a third one may cause its heat value to scale up to 10 or 11 (totally random example numbers). Now, we don't know if the added heat is exponential or linear, but that's the basic gyst of things.

What Paul means is that they may raise the base heat of 8 but if they do that, then the penalties for firing multiples of them will go down to compensate.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

Hmm. Are you sure that's always the case? Because the STK-5M's NARC hardpoint definitely used to fire missiles one at a time. And a couple weeks ago when I was trying to build an LRM support Thunderbolt people pointed out its second missile hardpoint is only going to have 2 tubes as a drawback.

Also, yesterday I was playing with 4xSRM4 on my STK-3F and the missile don't fire all at once but in two distinct flights, a bigger one and a smaller one...and all of its missile hardpoints should have either 6 or 10 tubes, so I don't know WTF is happening there.

Have you tried if it makes any difference whether your missile bay doors are open or closed? I've noticed some oddness with that on the Stalker.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    This change he posted will go a long, long, way to fixing PPC's in total. That change alone when implemented may be enough.
    Just to clarify:

PPC and ERPPC will be combined into one weapon bucket on the 30th. The code is done but has not gone through test yet and will not be ready for the 16th. After the 30th, both PPC and ERPPC will share the PPC heat scale. i.e. Firing 2 PPCs and 1 ERPPC will be the same as firing 3PPCs.

it seems like Paul went into overdrive. Which is fantastic.

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Kashaar wrote: »

Have you tried if it makes any difference whether your missile bay doors are open or closed? I've noticed some oddness with that on the Stalker.

That could be it, I'll have to experiment. I sometimes forget the Stalker has bay doors so I don't always make sure they're open before I engage.

Although one time yesterday I DID remember to open them and instead of pressing the forward slash key to do so I accidentally pressed the backslash key which on my keyboard is right next to it...and apparently...apparently!...I did not know this, did anyone else not know this?...apparently the backslash key is mapped by default to "alpha strike."

There was a friendly Catapult standing 20m in front of me. D: :oops:

Gaslight on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    In case anyone wanted to know the state of some things:
    Late stage design – feature has been approved, conditions of satisfaction are being worked on. Early engineering, artist, designers are scoping and building frameworks.
    In development – Engineers, artists, designers are working on building the feature.
    Ready for test – Feature is deemed complete and ready for internal QA.
    In public test – Feature has been approved for public testing, this is stage is designed to test major features that have a large impact on the stability or meta game.
    Early design – An idea has been presented and the team is brainstorming ways to make it.

Some features are so large that they are broken into phases and can inherit multiple stages as seen by CW being in both late stage design and in development.

UI 2.0 – in development.
    CW – late stage design, in development.
    DX11 – ready for test.
    12v12 – in public test.
    Tutorial (movement only) – ready for test.
    3PV – in development, nearing ready for test.
    Achievements – late stage design, in development.
    New Store – in development.
    Private Matches – early design
    Tonnage Limits – late stage design
    Lobby – late state design, in development
    Collision – on hold until launch.
    Passive Sensors – early design
    Decals – ready for development
    Gifting – in development
    Urbanmech – no eta
    Clan Tags – See CW

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm excited about the SRM changes tomorrow, spewin' rockets everywhah!

Seriously though, on a few of my mechs, like my Highlander for example, I have 2xSSRMs for harassing lights and general extra punch. At 2 damage per missile, would it be worth it to switch to 2xSRM6's?

Keep in mind Streaks are supposed to be altered also, so that they don't seek the CT nearly as much. Without knowing the outcome of that change, it's hard to say which way you should go.

Offhand I'd say for the moment keep the Streaks for fending off lights just because hitting fast targets with regular SRMs is still going to be tough. Also, 2xSSRM and 2xSRM6 are a big difference in weight...

Yeah that's true. My Highlander is currently 2xERPPC, 1xGauss, 2xSSRM2. To swap out to SRM6 I'd have to lose a PPC or something, and it's already hot.

I'll have to find something to specifically play with SRMs with. So many mechs to buy!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    BillGates wrote: »
    This change he posted will go a long, long, way to fixing PPC's in total. That change alone when implemented may be enough.
    Just to clarify:

PPC and ERPPC will be combined into one weapon bucket on the 30th. The code is done but has not gone through test yet and will not be ready for the 16th. After the 30th, both PPC and ERPPC will share the PPC heat scale. i.e. Firing 2 PPCs and 1 ERPPC will be the same as firing 3PPCs.

We knew this pretty much right after they announced the changes, but I think everyone assumed it would be in tomorrow's patch. So PPCs and ERs are going to have separate heat scale pools for 2 weeks?

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Quad PPC Stalkers continue unabated.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Just to clarify:

We knew this pretty much right after they announced the changes, but I think everyone assumed it would be in tomorrow's patch. So PPCs and ERs are going to have separate heat scale pools for 2 weeks?

We knew it wouldn't be right away, we didn't have a date for how long. Now we do.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Well, at least we're getting SRM changes this patch.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Quad PPCs is still a damn sight better than one-shot-capability hexaStalkers.

I'll wait and see how this patch turns out, but if it shows good progress in a good direction, I think I'll finally plonk the cash down for the Phoenix project. PPCs are still way, way too good and absolutely need a heat bump regardless of heat scaling, but if I can finally play MWO without the heaviest mechs trying to one-shot lighter mechs before hitting anything else, that'll still be a big step up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Just to clarify:

At least ER PPCs run hot as fuck so PPC boats will get a slight nerf until the one true patch occurs on the 30th. More likely, I think, is people will shift back to the PPC/Gauss Highlander.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    I did fool around with 2xPPC, 2xLL on my K2 a bit last night, but it's neither fish nor fowl. Not enough punch at range, and in brawler range the difference in aim points makes it hard to use.

2xERLL + 2xLL runs too hot.

It might not actually matter, though. The Victor looks like something I'm going to enjoy too much to actually care about my K2 anymore.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Hey you.

Yes, you.

Got a few minutes to kill? Want to help Outreach Broadcast News in a wonderfully non-committal fashion with zero expertise in anything? Then come hang out in our mechlab and churn out some stock mech builds for us! You can do one or you can do twenty, any help is appreciated! All you have to do is make a note in this doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LDZTasti_85HvrWZd1Z0OLmMIEwBQWHUH7207rWvGv4/edit?usp=sharing

List what you're working on before you start so that we don't get duplicate work and then once you're done putting together a stock build, paste the raw URL at the bottom of the share tab to the doc. It's that simple! It only takes a few minutes to cook up a stock mech and you can do however many you feel like doing! The mechs should already have default armor values but a few of them may be maxed. If you stumble across one of those please let us know so that we can set the values to the correct total.

Thanks to anyone that helps out!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    With as much hate as I have for the PPC metagame, having to equip 2 PPC + 2 ERPPCs to avoid heat scaling plus the newer, much stricter damage-from-heat threshold could still prove to be very strong deterrent and be enough to make the game decently playable again. Having to drop down to 4 PPCs will carve hexaStalker pinpoint damage down by fully a third, which will still leave it as aggravating as hell but also survivable for mechs that aren't heavies or assaults. Heat scaling in general will discourage other sniper builds except for the 2 PPC + gauss setups, but that immediately puts a serious limit on which mechs can do that. Having to take ERPPCs is also still something of a heat nerf, so that's also still an improvement.

Plus, getting the SRM boost now instead of in two weeks possibly means no more being undergunned when facing off against a PPC mech up-close simply because you don't have a PPC stack or enough missile slots for a silly number of streaks. Brawlers may actually go back to being bosses at close range, instead of getting pinpointed just as much at 100m as at 600m.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    All these convoluted changes to weapon heat just leave me :?

I don't get why they don't just try a holistic approach of weapon damage, mech health, and heat.

Nerfing boating won't help come CW when I grab 11 of my friends and we each equip 2 ppcs and proceed to core the opposing team in poptarting phracts/highlanders.

I sure hope Paul has something else in the work to counter the alphas or nothing will change.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    An entire team focus firing is going to rip up single targets regardless of what weapons they're using to do it. That said, even after this change PPCs will still need a nerf. They're just way too good of a weapon to take if you can.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Avynte wrote: »

I don't get why they don't just try a holistic approach of weapon damage, mech health, and heat.

Nerfing boating won't help come CW when I grab 11 of my friends and we each equip 2 ppcs and proceed to core the opposing team in poptarting phracts/highlanders.

I sure hope Paul has something else in the work to counter the alphas or nothing will change.
    Well if there's anything I've learned from reading this thread over many, many months, it's that Paul is 100% on top of weapon balancing and he has it all planned out so that there will be no issues once he finishes changing a few numbers that are screwed up because of... reasons.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

2 PPCs are not a problem, even when spread out among the entire team. It's when each one has 3-4 PPCs or more that it becomes an issue.

2 PPCs is also not an "alpha" problem. The reason it's not an issue with only 2 PPCs is that trying to get 12 people to coordinate and all be in a position to hit a single section on a mech is incredibly difficult to do.

When each mech can deliver twice the payload by themselves to a single section, it presents a problem. That's why having 4 or more PPCs is problematic.

Also poptarting itself has already been nerfed pretty heavily making it much harder to land those shots as you only have the descent to line up your shot and fire.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm...this SRM buff could mean that my dual-SRM4 Jenner-D will make a comeback. Hit detection wonkiness has resulted in streaks not being quite the light deterrent I was hoping they'd be, and I miss being able to crack open a tasty heavy's back with a nasty eight SRM enema. My nuisance of a light shall return!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I'm not sure what you mean by "a holistic approach of weapon damage, mech health, and heat." Changing multiple factors all at once in an effort to balance things generally yields poor results because it creates radical yo-yo changes and you can't tell exactly how important each piece of the puzzle is. I am especially confused about what "mech health" would refer to. Armor/health values have been unchanged for over a year; they aren't going to make 'mechs significantly more or less durable at this point. They're just not.

Furthermore, poptarting is no longer an especially effective tactic, and it hasn't been since the jump jet shake that got patched in a month or two ago.

Third, as pointed out, two PPCs on a 'mech hardly qualifies as any kind of "alpha."

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Seismic Sensor Ranges are being adjusted. Current values are 180m for basic and 250m for advanced. This is down from 200m and 400m respectively.

Yay!

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Woah.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    Seismic Sensor Ranges are being adjusted. Current values are 180m for basic and 250m for advanced. This is down from 200m and 400m respectively.

Yay!

Hmm...definitely going to be playing my Jenners a metric crap-ton more, in that case. Sneaking around people and shivving them in the back is my modus operandi...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Yay!

Speaking of band-aid solutions that aren't what we really needed to be done, hello there half-assed Seismic nerf.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I guess it's time to dust off some of my mechs with SRMs in them in preparation for tomorrow.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yay!

Speaking of band-aid solutions that aren't what we really needed to be done, hello there half-assed Seismic nerf.

Yeah, still going to be the #1 must-have module.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, Seismic itself is the problem, not the range >.<

Still, baby steps.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Baby steps...

... Not detectable by Seismic sensors.

But seriously you guys don't really think they're just going to delete it from the game, so you?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    The problem of knowing where people are when they're in knife fighting range?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Baby steps...

... Not detectable by Seismic sensors.

But seriously you guys don't really think they're just going to delete it from the game, so you?

Not delete but replace it with something else.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    Make it directional instead of pin pointing...

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular

I'm not sure what you mean by "a holistic approach of weapon damage, mech health, and heat." Changing multiple factors all at once in an effort to balance things generally yields poor results because it creates radical yo-yo changes and you can't tell exactly how important each piece of the puzzle is. I am especially confused about what "mech health" would refer to. Armor/health values have been unchanged for over a year; they aren't going to make 'mechs significantly more or less durable at this point. They're just not.

Furthermore, poptarting is no longer an especially effective tactic, and it hasn't been since the jump jet shake that got patched in a month or two ago.

Third, as pointed out, two PPCs on a 'mech hardly qualifies as any kind of "alpha."

What I want to see is a boost to mech internal health, give machine guns and LBX's a purpose besides jokes builds so the whole 'crit seeker' aspect means something. Then a boost to Pulse laser weapons. Sure you could argue that the latest revision was a 'slight' boost thanks to the damage increase, but pulse lasers are still shit.

As for poptarting, have you tried it since the removal of cockpit shake? Sure you have a smaller window to fire during the apex, but it's just as effective in my heavy metal.

Also, I don't mean alpha in the sense of number of weapons, but the difference of frontloaded damage versus dps. Aka ballistics/ppcs versus normal lasers. There's a reason Jaegerbombs, Splatcats, and boomcats have always been feared mechs. Perhaps the new boating mechanics will help alleviate the issue, but pinpoint immediate damage is just too effective. Especially once you factor in 'teamwork OP'.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    heckels wrote: »
    Make it directional instead of pin pointing...

Or make it so that the lighter your mech is, the faster you can move without tripping the sensor.

wWuzwvJ.png