As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn] Next Beta This Wednesday July 10 (Lasts Five Days!)

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    we dunno yet. :( probably early august.

Are you the magic man?
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    I just want to bring to everyone's attention the lack of booty on character models. This is an injustice in my book.

Winter is indeed coming...

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, when does phase 4 start?

I've heard that the announcement in Japanese over the weekend said August 8, but I don't have confirmation.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    thats too far away . . .

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    I just want to bring to everyone's attention the lack of booty on character models. This is an injustice in my book.

Winter is indeed coming...

I had not noticed until you said something. Now I am sad. :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2013
    Fused With Infinity. After WoW, that name needs to be reclaimed for the good of the community.

Edit: Partially Fused with Infinity, if it will fit, but it might run up against max character limits.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »

I've heard that the announcement in Japanese over the weekend said August 8, but I don't have confirmation.

It's sometime soon after the 8th. The 8th is just a live letter. The 1st will be the benchmark with character generator.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have to agree, Limsa 4 lyf

steam_sig.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    lima bean lyfestyle

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Hey, internet is working. Keeping this kinda short though. A lot of the folks I am bringing like the WANG name but honestly i don't think they care that much. Whatever is fine as long as its not really lame (dick jokes are never lame lol)

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I like the We Are Nice Guys with the NICE guild tag myself.

Also, I finally ran the benchmark on my system... 4727 on High, 4975 on Max, Full screen 1280X1024 (It's a 7 year old monitor). I never messed with the settings at all. It kinda chugged in cities with lots of people around, but the dungeons were always smooth as silk. Guess I'll bump it up to max next go round and get better performance?

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    Personally, I like We Are Nice Guys (NICE). It sends a good message*, and the whole wang thing is so cleverly hidden that it completely wooshes unless you are looking for it.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGo1-EVrsx8

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »
    soylenth wrote: »

It's sometime soon after the 8th. The 8th is just a live letter. The 1st will be the benchmark with character generator.

Thanks! I guess that gives me a few weeks to get my life in order before I disappear into Eorzea entirely.

• Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    At this point on the name thing I quite frankly don't care too much. I've personal naming schemes I really enjoy, but I'm pretty sure its safe to assume I would be the only one to enjoy a Irish, Gaelic, Celtic reference type of name. I'd love it if we could name the FC Fragarach after the famous sword Manannan mac Lir uses and passes on to Lugh. Fragarach means The Answer. I highly doubt anyone here would agree to this type of name, and meh that's why I don't really try to push for this name or that name type of stuff. All I do ask naming wise is if it can have the ability to be twisted halfway serious or silly, kind of you know like Shakespearean nonsense lol. Or hell an old saying like Vent you Spleen! But yea, I guess please nothing over the top silly that we'll be regreting 4 months from now. Or current pop culture references, but that's more of a scruple on my part and can be ignored.

I care more at this point at figuring out in a somewhat short order what the new name will be, so I can scrap the enjin site I made and remake a new one. I'm really happy I decided not to throw money into the wang one last night. I just can't wait to get into the game, make the FC and get this baby rolling!

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It seems the only objection is to WANG, so NICE is a good solution.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Esh wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    I would think that it would not run very well, if at all.

Is this just you saying "Integrated graphics?!?! Ewwwwwww!" or do you have some knowledge of the chips, because the new Haswell GPUs are actually pretty beefy for what they are. I'm looking for someone with actual experience or a benchmark link, not uninformed personal opinions.

There is an official benchmark you can give a try

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

Outside of that though I don't personally have any experience with that setup. But at least the benchmark might give you a general idea.

I don't have the system yet. It's a future purchase. I'm waiting for the new MacBook Pro announcements before I make any decisions. I'm currently playing beta on the PS3 and I'll move to the PS4 when that version releases. This is just a "Will it play well enough that I can do some grinding/crafting while I'm at the coffee shop". I don't plan on raiding on it.

Ah gotcha, unfortunately I don't have a Macbook or know much about bootcamping (outside of what it is) so I can't help much :(

FWIW I'm running it perfectly acceptably on a Rev H (2010 model) MBP in bootcamp on a win7 64bit partition with few issues

edit: f course, since it's a completely different set of specs with a completely new chipset it's not worth much

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Why don't we just say, G&T will make the Linkshell, SE++ can make the Free Company. They can name it what they want, we can name the LS what we want.

Everyone can play in one larger pool of players which benefits everyone.

Just like the server name, the FC name and the LS name are far less important than playing with more people and having a better community. SE++ and G&T certainly have different cultures here; but in-game we can all get along.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Another vote for not caring what the FC name is. Kind of partial to just giving it to SE++ to decide, since they apparently are being gentlemanly and rolling with us now.

If that's the route, I'd prefer them to pick the name and then Greg and I can make the FC with that chosen name, and continue along with all the planning and admin stuff we were working on

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Why don't we just say, G&T will make the Linkshell, SE++ can make the Free Company. They can name it what they want, we can name the LS what we want.

Everyone can play in one larger pool of players which benefits everyone.

Just like the server name, the FC name and the LS name are far less important than playing with more people and having a better community. SE++ and G&T certainly have different cultures here; but in-game we can all get along.

Works for me I have no problem with that at all.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    How are they handling the ones that existed before, did they just wipe all the companies, leaving the characters only?

Yup everything from 1.0 was wiped except the characters. I don't even know if Free Companies existed in 1.0 though I think it was only Linkshells.

1.0 was kind of a mess :(

My linkshells still existed, though

fuck gendered marketing
    I'd love it if we could name the FC Fragarach after the famous sword Manannan mac Lir uses and passes on to Lugh. Fragarach means The Answer.

That actually sounds pretty cool, but I understand that not everyone shares an appreciation of Gaelic.

I mean, "Antwort" doesn't sound nearly as cool... Sometimes I regret my choice of German in college.

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Oh also, this random video showing some of the armour sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6N_ruqUF1Sc

Hopefully it hasn't already been posted.

DesmondPfeiffer on
    jdmichal wrote: »
    That actually sounds pretty cool, but I understand that not everyone shares an appreciation of Gaelic.

I mean, "Antwort" doesn't sound nearly as cool... Sometimes I regret my choice of German in college.

waaaaait a minute..... someone agrees with me? This was not expected... I don't know whether to be scared and confused or to run in horror from the Morrigan.

• BaratusBaratus Registered User regular
    So this might be an early/unanswerable question considering PVP seems to be a bit of a question mark at this point. But I generally try to PVP some and like to be somewhat competitive (to the point you win at least once in while to keep things fun).

I would be starting fresh on Sarg - no Legacy character. I don't really care about not having money or other players being ahead PVE-wise, especially considering the nice PA group we'll have. But how far behind would I be PVP-wise? A slight disadvantage (lessened by grouping with you all) or not even in the same league? In other words, negligible difference once leveled up or would it be like starting a new WoW character on a long established server (ie FAR behind)?

Like I said, may be unanswerable, but I'd appreciate some thoughts - I'm afraid the one thing that could turn me off to the game would be a feeling of complete PVP-ineptness (due to starting behind on a Legacy server; if it's due to my inherent lack of skill, that's a-okay).

PSN: Baratus_JT
    mmm, I have no clue so can't comment or help you there. During phase 3 I only cared about getting the chocobo. But I'll say I'd be happy to join for pvp once game hits =D. Though honestly I don't remember seeing any kind of pvp implemented at the time; that could be me just being blind though

edited July 2013
    There's not a lot known about PvP at this point, since it's not in and not a lot is known, but afaik it's a top level thing anyway. It's not like you're gonna get ganked WoW PvP server style.

The Dude With Herpes on

Baratus wrote: »
    So this might be an early/unanswerable question considering PVP seems to be a bit of a question mark at this point. But I generally try to PVP some and like to be somewhat competitive (to the point you win at least once in while to keep things fun).

I would be starting fresh on Sarg - no Legacy character. I don't really care about not having money or other players being ahead PVE-wise, especially considering the nice PA group we'll have. But how far behind would I be PVP-wise? A slight disadvantage (lessened by grouping with you all) or not even in the same league? In other words, negligible difference once leveled up or would it be like starting a new WoW character on a long established server (ie FAR behind)?

Like I said, may be unanswerable, but I'd appreciate some thoughts - I'm afraid the one thing that could turn me off to the game would be a feeling of complete PVP-ineptness (due to starting behind on a Legacy server; if it's due to my inherent lack of skill, that's a-okay).

From what Yoshi-P has said, I gather the PVP system will be running more or less on a different system from PvE

This combined with the fact that there was never that much of a top level gear advantage under the old system to begin with and opening up the Materia system to make combines easier for everyone and multiple-melded gear easier to achieve, my gut says the answer is "negligible or even no difference"

fuck gendered marketing
    waaaaait a minute..... someone agrees with me? This was not expected... I don't know whether to be scared and confused or to run in horror from the Morrigan.

"Do not run; we are your friends."

So what's the deal with fullscreen and alt-tabbing now? Does the game still crash? Or did Square-Enix finally figure that out?

Wondering so that I can set the benchmark mode appropriately.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

So what's the deal with fullscreen and alt-tabbing now? Does the game still crash? Or did Square-Enix finally figure that out?

Never crashed for me, I ran it full screen windowed though.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png

Never crashed for me, I ran it full screen windowed though.

1920x1080 BW High - 2879
    1920x1080 FS High - 3083

Not too much difference in the scores; 7%. Probably not worth worrying about. I don't think the scores are too bad considering I bought this video card over 5 years ago.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Re: the name, I was honestly just curious! I intend to be, at least for a while, in a FC with my friends, just also on Sargantanas, and with the appropriate linkshells to organize stuff.

Honestly, since the main benefit of guilds has basically been easier communication, it'll be interesting to see how they try and make Free Companies matter in a world with linkshells.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    We could be the Dickwolves. Too soon?

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Greg USN wrote: »

terrible

fuck gendered marketing
    Huuuh? So sorry if a repeat question, anyone know how long phase 4 will be?

Elldren wrote: »
    Greg USN wrote: »

terrible

coupled with your avatar I giggled.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Huuuh? So sorry if a repeat question, anyone know how long phase 4 will be?

Via YoshiP at the E3 Q&A the open beta will probably end just a few days before the early start, so there really won't be much downtime at all.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    There was a rumor floating around that Phase 4 might only be a week long based on something Yoshi P said in a chat.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Submitted for your consideration...

Bonus that it's from FFXI

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    Even though i like wang Omega Hares is pretty rad.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
This discussion has been closed.