As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thursday Night Pre PAX Drinks!

FuzzyPredatorFuzzyPredator MelbourneRegistered User regular
So... I know there's all these threads about board games and such, however I had another idea! For those of us over age and not wanting to game (although handhelds can be brought along), I though I would organize a night of shenanigans and pre PAX debauchery! I live in the CBD of Melbourne and therefore know a few good spots for a couple of nice drinks! I already have a few friends willing to join me, but would be happy for others to tag along and maybe meet some friendly faces before PAX! I will be finishing work at around 6PM and should be in the city around 7PM and be happy to meet people at Flinders Street Station or Federation Square (just across the street from the station) whereupon we can migrate to a venue with some alcoholic beverages!

Comments, ideas are welcome!

If you want to come along, please post in here and I will PM you my details closer to the date!

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Would love to join-in... do you have a place in mind?

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    I have a few in mind, I'm thinking of maybe going to Transport to wait for people to turn up, before migrating somewhere else!

• Options
    Casa_VinoCasa_Vino Registered User new member
    I have a few in mind, I'm thinking of maybe going to Transport to wait for people to turn up, before migrating somewhere else!

I have a crew that will be climbing at hard rock / go-karting before and after the weekend but meeting up for drinks Thursday if we change opinions on climbing would be a solid option! It has been ages since I've been in Melb. I have fond memories of the epic little bars hidden in alleys there. If anyone reading has a crew available to hook up with a local for an evening in Melb I would highly recommend it :D

• Options
    Trust me! One of the small venues I was looking at is The Croft Institute! Also known as the most hidden bar in Melbourne... It will be a good night, even if it's just me and vjreddy :P

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    She might have planned something else for us, but if not I'll count my girlfriend and I in - would definitely be keen to get a local's tour of the best spots :)

• Options
    GrimRetributi0nGrimRetributi0n WellingtonRegistered User regular
    I would love to come. I am coming from NZ and will have all of Thursday with no idea what to do. I haven't been to Melbourne before so lets hit up the local bars!

• Options
    Actually turns out I am staying just a few blocks away from Flinders Street Station. Should just be a quick 15min walk down from Nomads All Nations Backpackers.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    This sounds awesome! But we're already committed to the game night: :(

Any chance of a pre-pre-meetup on Wednesday evening? Or maybe a post-PAX re-do on Sunday?

26904.png
  • Options
    There is a Post PAX Party happening so I'll be attending that instead and pre-pre-meetup on Wednesday is out as I have to go to work on Thursday :P

Also from Nomad backpackers you can either walk for 10 mins or catch a tram going straight to Flinders, will only take about 3 mins

• Options
    Count me and the better half in as a "probably". We're staying at the Rydges somewhere (see how organised I am?) but will be out and about for dinner regardless, so can wander along wherever!

Also over from NZ, would be awesome to catch up with some other Kiwi's too since it's well-established that Aussies smell.

• Options
    Cool, I'll PM you my number closer to the date, so you can text/call me when you guys are done with dinner and you can meet us wherever we are. I think the Rydges that you're staying at is this one: www.rydges.com/Melbourne so you'll be pretty close to where we are :)

• Options
    feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Shall of course be there, thanks fuzzy for starting the thread, nice one. I've been a bit lazy..

I guess we need something in the way of an itinerary so ppl can join as they wish, or perhaps a hash tag.. I propose #paxbeer because it looks to have been used before, I can live tweet our location in between pints. (disclaimer, someone will need to tell me where I am, ha ha.)

(Kia ora to the fellow kiwis)

feralmaster on
    posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • Options
    DeathbystormDeathbystorm CanberraRegistered User regular
    Aah cool we'll I'm staying at Nomads so thats easy but only problem I get to Melbourne in the morning traveling overnight from Canberra D:

• Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    i will be up for a few, but probably later in the evening as i dont get in until 7. i'll look for the tag.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm interested, although I actually have work on friday so I won't be able to stay super late (only have tickets for the saturday and sunday, because I'm an idiot). Would be nice to stick my head in the door and have a few drinks at least!

• Options
    @feralmaster: Sounds like a good idea!

@Deathbystorm: Rest during the day and come out at night :)

At the moment the meetup is going to be at 7pm at the Transport Bar on Federation Square (right across from Flinders Street): http://www.fedsquare.com/eatdrink/transport-public-bar/

Can people who are definitely coming please PM me your mobile numbers and I will respond with mine!

• Options
    Sweet. Confirmed we're staying at Rydges on Exhibition St, so we're a ten minute walk from there. We should be able to get there at 7pm - I'll keep an eye on #paxbeer (and will send through my number).

• Options
    SpannerBunnySpannerBunny Registered User new member
    This sounds awesome!
    I'll keep an eye on the tweets and see you wonderful people at the bar!

• Options
    KimbuttesKimbuttes Registered User regular
    If no one minds a yank and a Canadian along for the ride, @FiSHNuTZ and I would love to join up with you at some point.

• Options
    We'd be glad to have you along! PM me your details and I will PM you my number, otherwise join us at the Transport Bar (across the street from Flinders Street Station) at 7 and we'll go from there!

• Options
    @ deathbystorm I get into Melbourne at 8am, I have the 6am flight from Wellington so if your around nomads all nations we should catch up and do something. Also anyone else who is floating around, this is my first time in Melbourne and I have no plans beyond PAX.

In terms of meeting at 7pm, how are we going to find each other? A sign? Funny hats? I imagine that it will be busy at that time of night

• Options
    feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    In terms of meeting at 7pm, how are we going to find each other? A sign? Funny hats? I imagine that it will be busy at that time of night

Good question, we will use the twitter hash tag #paxbeer the rest will have to be your elite detective work, inspecting crime scenes and Interviewing suspects.

(unless someone feels like bringing a plush toy mascot or wearing a loud shirt, maybe look for the American and Canadian, they're sure to stand out.. :P )

posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I'll be the guy wearing a fedora.
    Not really.

Maybe give FuzzyPredator a txt closer to the time (or check #paxbeer). It might just be a matter of "look for the dude with the green shirt".

exis on
  • Options
    @GrimRetributi0n I am giving my mobile number in PMs (and grabbing yours), so that'd be the easiest way to do it. I'll be wearing my work clothes, so suit & tie!

• Options
    Ok so I have joined Twitter but for the life of me I can't find #paxbeer, I will also get an Optus SIM card, because I'm told they are the best, when I get in SO at that point I can txt and be texted without international roaming fees. So looking forward to it all coming together.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Just posted up the first post with #paxbeer, so should appear now! Also I am @FuzzyPredator on Twitter!

FuzzyPredator on
  • Options
    YcrosYcros Registered User new member
    I'm flying in on Thursday, so I'm up for drinks.

• Options
    Haha, the Canadian is beardy and will be wearing either a Woot shirt or a Threadless shirt. The American will be dressed entirely in stars and stripes and blathering in a Larry the Cable Guy accent about "where I come from."

• Options
    We are also @KimCruts and @JasonCragg on Twitter.

• Options
    demoniquedemonique Registered User regular
    I'm keen for pre drinks and meet some fellow PAX-ers. I fly from Adelaide Thursday and get in around midday. Having said that I've got the tail end of a cold an the congestion isn't gone yet so the flight could cripple me. If that's the case. I think I'd prefer to hid in my hotel room.

• Options
    @Kimbuttes: Feel free to follow Twitter for updates, or just rock up to Transport Bar at 19:00! Oh, and a polite suggestion... Less Stars and Stripes :P (j/k)

@demonique: Come out anyway! I'm sure we can find a drink or two to snap your cold out of you *thinks of Jagermeister*

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! You mean I bought this new dress for nothing?! ;-)

american-flag-wedding-dress-7.jpg

As for you @demonique, I highly recommend bourbon. Bourbon cures all ills. I am more than willing to drink bourbon with you.

Kimbuttes on
  • Options
    *thinks of Jagermeister*

D:

• Options
    @Kimbuttes: that one does look nice! Who are you getting married to on the night? ;)

• Options
    It's the Thursday before PAX... I wouldn't put it past myself to get in enough of a state that Fish tries to get someone to take me off his hands. Tempting, no? :winky:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @Kimbuttes: Really depends what's underneath the dress :P (meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously)

FuzzyPredator on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @FuzzyPredator I'm completely covered in scales. That's why I had to settle for a Canadian.

Kimbuttes on
  • Options
    @Kimbuttes: Careful now, being a DrWho fan I might just find that attractive XD

• Options
    @FuzzyPredator Touche, sir. Touche.

Also, Dr. Who is the shit.

• Options
    Personally I am a fan of vodka and suger like mixer to get rid of colds. Which I will be drinking to finally kick the last of my very own

This discussion has been closed.