As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Guys, friend me on steam, message me and be like 'yo holmes, get me in that sweet pa clan' and ill log in and invite you, we both have to be online at the same time for an invite.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I just picked this up, installing now. Spent a couple minutes copy/pasting those codes into that My Ego thing, so I think i'm all set.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I bookmarked a big list of the codes the other day, what do they do? Vanity stuff, or like BL2-style golden key things?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    So for the steam sale price I decided to bite.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    I bookmarked a big list of the codes the other day, what do they do? Vanity stuff, or like BL2-style golden key things?

If the site is accurate, inventory space and weapon skills and titles and stuff.

You can check here, it shows you the list even before you put any codes in.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So I bought this game because steam sale and am patching it now.

I don't really know much about it but I like the show.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is there not a PA clan anymore? Should we restart one?

What is this I don't even.
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    There is, Corrigan is leading it, but hes a terrible person so I suggest you take control from him.

Hmm, so on this race time trials if you choose try again when you finish it, when it starts it starts you with 14 seconds already on the timer.

Given the best time is 34 seconds, that's kind of a handicap.

So is it just me or is this game laggy as hell and buggy as shit?

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So is it just me or is this game laggy as hell and buggy as shit?

It likes to crash randomly (rather, it hard locks the video card and forces a PC reboot), and freezes up from time to time when events pop up or change. So yes, very buggy. Much more poorly designed than Rift.

96058.png?1619393207
    edited July 2013
    I think it was mostly lag during the time I was playing, go to an event area for a quest then stand around for a couple minutes with nothing happening until suddenly all the enemies spawn on top of you. Try to summon your vehicle 7 times in a row with it not showing up ever. Those kinds of things.

I did notice another bug though. Say you have one gun with 10 capacity and you can carry 50 spare rounds. If you're at 10/50 and swap to another weapon then swap back, you'll suddenly be at 10/40. Or if it's 45/500 swap then swap back you're at 45/455.

Aistan on
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    I too picked this up due to Steam sale, and I'm assuming/hoping that most of the performance issues are from a large influx of new players like us. Most of the problems I've been having appear to be lag related, so I'm hoping it clears up some soon.

Most of the time that I'm playing so far though, I'm having an absolute blast.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Yeah, after sitting down and actually playing seriously for the first time in awhile I can say the lag is more than likely due to the influx in people. Which obviously sucks, but it is what it is.

Also, After dozens of runs, I was FINALLY able to get Cronkhite to play nice and give me my 7/7 co-op maps pursuit completion. 'Bout damn time. :)

I do not understand weapons in this game, and rarity and how damage and fire rate and ego rating work together. I did a co-op instance and got a blue assault rifle. I was all stoked and equiped it. It does 40 damage a shot. A common assault rifle of the same ego level does far more damage, and the fire rate is only slightly less, for overall more dps.

I am confused.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I did notice another bug though. Say you have one gun with 10 capacity and you can carry 50 spare rounds. If you're at 10/50 and swap to another weapon then swap back, you'll suddenly be at 10/40. Or if it's 45/500 swap then swap back you're at 45/455.

That's not a bug. When you fill up your ammo you get one extra bonus mag for your equipped weapon. That extra mag is lost if you switch weapons.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    No matter what I do my techmag pulser and heal gun have been my favorite weapons. I keep trying to get into shot guns but the satisfying spray of death of the pulser wins me back more and more.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Got my first red weapon, which was a rocket launcher. I seem to recall that's a common problem here in the thread.

I'm having trouble evaluating weapons. They come and go pretty quickly, but the time investment to add all the mod slots is significant so I don't want to constantly rotate. Seems like the mods also don't make a huge difference at my level.

I have a bunch of crappier mods that I don't think I'll use in the long run. Should I just be breaking them down?

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I do not understand weapons in this game, and rarity and how damage and fire rate and ego rating work together. I did a co-op instance and got a blue assault rifle. I was all stoked and equiped it. It does 40 damage a shot. A common assault rifle of the same ego level does far more damage, and the fire rate is only slightly less, for overall more dps.

I am confused.

I still dont know what EGO rating has to do with weapons, I routinely reset the exp on the purple assault rifle you get from Nolan during the episode stories, it is like 250 or something and I am 500+ now, still just a good as the 500 ego weapons I use. Is there point to EGO on weapons?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

I am confused.

I still dont know what EGO rating has to do with weapons, I routinely reset the exp on the purple assault rifle you get from Nolan during the episode stories, it is like 250 or something and I am 500+ now, still just a good as the 500 ego weapons I use. Is there point to EGO on weapons?

I think there is a higher chance of more mod slots on each or something? Mostly you don't really gain in power on weapons though.

So, I shouldn't have scrapped the low EGO requirement purples I had, I guess?

I really wish the game did a better job of explaining to you how weapon experience works, that you can reset it, that you stop gaining weapon skill with a maxed out weapon, and that the weapon "level" is completely fucking irrelevant because gear doesn't scale as you level. Admitedly, I figured this crap out after a couple days of playing, but it would have been easy enough to mention it in the tutorial, or include it in the (anemic, shitty, low-information) help file.

Now I wish I could have some of my old assault rifles back, too. As it is all that ever drops for me is:

Rocket launchers
    Grenade lobbers
    Infector guns

All of which I hate and don't ever want to use so they just get scrapped.

I have a purple LMG which is really good and I like but it fills up in exp way, way faster than I can earn the 20k scrap to reset it every time.

edited July 2013
    Also I learned never to mod a scope onto an assault rifle because for some reason doing so changes the hip fire on it to be so spastic that even at point blank range most bullets will miss.

I swear after putting one on this one gun half the spray went 90 degrees to the left and right of the barrel.

-edit-

After all that bitching I should probably mention that I am really enjoying the game.

That's obvious from the bitching, isn't it? I mean, if the game sucked I would just be playing BL2.

Regina Fong on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I am confused.

my conclusion is that a ludicrously high amount of item budget must be getting applied to things like charging your melee attack with lightning or whatever. Which might be awesome for a blur build I guess, but in practice makes a lot of guns kind of awful at actually shooting. I have gotten a lot of blues and quest rewards that are straight inferior to the green LMG that I found like, 20 minutes after creating my character.

NREqxl5.jpg

I am confused.

my conclusion is that a ludicrously high amount of item budget must be getting applied to things like charging your melee attack with lightning or whatever. Which might be awesome for a blur build I guess, but in practice makes a lot of guns kind of awful at actually shooting. I have gotten a lot of blues and quest rewards that are straight inferior to the green LMG that I found like, 20 minutes after creating my character.

I see. Well, speaking from experience, having lightning on the melee of a rifle can be a real life saver. However, having a rifle that actually kills things before they are ripping your face off is better.

My LMG is the best of both worlds. It's super accurate in bursts, it does stupid amounts of damage against big targets where I can let the spread grow without missing shots, and it lights things on fire when I melee them.

I have reset the exp on it three times already.

Everything about voulge is bullshit. Rapid fire magic laser tracking sniper blasts that do insane damage.

Why aren't we severing their arms and using these instead of guns.

• KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    It's silly though but the Volge grunts are more frightening than the "captain" that is called after the grunts have been vanquished. When our Ego goes like "Watch out, a bigger guy is coming!", I'm like... Whew, no more grunts!

I'm looking forward to see what they come up with for major ark falls with some of the other groups. Kind of getting bored of the bugs.

360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
    what does experience on guns actually do?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    what does experience on guns actually do?

Once you fill the experience bar for a weapon it'll gain some sort of benefit to that weapon. Like faster reload, more accuracy, whatever.

360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
    Man, I tossed a purple assault rifle, shotgun and maybe something else already.

Why do you want to reset weapon xp again?

Also, in completely different news, this random guy messaged me and asked me to give him my orange rocket launcher in exchange for him letting me wear his all purple gear or something? I took a pass on it.

edited July 2013
    You have two 'XP' Bars. One for your weapon skill, one for your perk xp. When you kill something, you get perk xp. Fill that big bar at the bottom of your screen and you get a new perk point, and you gain 100 ego rating.

If you open the menu and pick the thing that looks like bar graphs you can see your 'weapon skill' levels. By using an Assault rifle for instance, you will gain levels in all assault rifles. The only way to gain this experience is to shoot and kill things with your gun, and gain xp for your gun. When your Gun fills up on xp you no longer gain weapon skill xp. So if you find an awesome gun you really like, you'll use it a lot. Use it a lot and it'll fill up on xp. It fills up on Xp and you won't be able to gain any 'assault rifle' xp because you're no longer gaining xp. They patched in the ability to reset the gun xp because originally we had to buy 30-40 rifles and just carry them along filling the xp then selling them.

There are a couple vendors that are hidden, when you go to their cabins and clear out the enemies nearby they will come out and sell you weapons. These weapons are blue quality, and they're always the same weapons. One of them is a military assault rifle, that does a shitton of damage and is very accurate with lightning damage. It is super awesome, and once I can find a map i'll post it so you guys can head there to pick up some rifles you can xp through. These are the ones we used to buy a shitton of and just toss when we're done. :p

http://imgur.com/a7AK9bn

Red dots = Hidden vendors. Go to them, clear out the enemies, dude walks out to sell you weapons.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX wrote: »
    You have two 'XP' Bars. One for your weapon skill, one for your perk xp. When you kill something, you get perk xp. Fill that big bar at the bottom of your screen and you get a new perk point, and you gain 100 ego rating.

If you open the menu and pick the thing that looks like bar graphs you can see your 'weapon skill' levels. By using an Assault rifle for instance, you will gain levels in all assault rifles. The only way to gain this experience is to shoot and kill things with your gun, and gain xp for your gun. When your Gun fills up on xp you no longer gain weapon skill xp. So if you find an awesome gun you really like, you'll use it a lot. Use it a lot and it'll fill up on xp. It fills up on Xp and you won't be able to gain any 'assault rifle' xp because you're no longer gaining xp. They patched in the ability to reset the gun xp because originally we had to buy 30-40 rifles and just carry them along filling the xp then selling them.

There are a couple vendors that are hidden, when you go to their cabins and clear out the enemies nearby they will come out and sell you weapons. These weapons are blue quality, and they're always the same weapons. One of them is a military assault rifle, that does a shitton of damage and is very accurate with lightning damage. It is super awesome, and once I can find a map i'll post it so you guys can head there to pick up some rifles you can xp through. These are the ones we used to buy a shitton of and just toss when we're done. :p

http://imgur.com/a7AK9bn

Red dots = Hidden vendors. Go to them, clear out the enemies, dude walks out to sell you weapons.

That's awesome! But which is the cool assault rifle guy? Right/Left/Middle?

I ask because the other two probably sell rocket launchers.

The one on the right near the minigun hotspot sells the rifles, the one in the center sells good semi-auto snipers I think, and the left one sells decent lmgs? maybe shotguns. I don't recall really. Right hand one is the important one, far left one sells cars.

n1woEHJ.png
    edited July 2013
    I got my first orange! But it's a pump shotgun that looks like a stick of poop covered in bird poop.

But then I got a blue shotgun that is a combat shotgun, which is the kind that I like, and it looks so fucking badass.

I'll just hang onto the orange, but I tried it out on zombies and despite the damage it's so not worth the reload time (the issue with all pump action shotguns).

-edit-

Thanks, Corrigan!

Regina Fong on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've being using SMG/Sniper with my cloak build. Admitedly I'm only like ego level 60 or something. I've just being logging in and doing a few things here and there. I suspect this is going to become my 'pod cast' game which I can just mindlessly play while listening to a podcast. Unless firefall blows me away that is but I prefer to more grounded look of Defiance. Even if the pump shotguns feel like wet noodles.

It took a long time for me to find a relatively hard-hitting shotgun. And even then they don't hit quite as hard as I've become used to in other games. I haven't actually found anything more effective than an accurate AR/LMG which can get head shots. But sometimes I just want to go up close and personal with shoty, even if it's not the fastest way.

As far as cloak/sniper goes, I tried that myself for the first couple hundred ego. Eventually I got fed up with all the perks wanting me to crawl on my knees while standing still and uphill of an enemy in the moonlight cooking eggs while listening to music that is neither too loud nor too soft and respecced the fuck away from cloak. I do not miss it or regret that decision even slightly, 500+ ego levels later.

Get a "Courier" shotgun. They're sawed offs that fire double sticky grenades. Super fun to use.

n1woEHJ.png
    I've been using an LMG and a rotating cast of other guns. BMGs are kinda cool but seem pretty lackluster in the damage department

also I really don't like how stats are displayed; it's hard to tell what the totals and where all the bonuses are coming from

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited July 2013
    BMGs are a must for one reason only; what was mentioned earlier in the thread is absolutely true. Show up to any arkfall, major or minor, even if you get their right at the end. Get a single green tick of healing on anyone and you get full credit for the arkfall.

I keep a BMG handy and stick it into my alt weapon slot whenever I head to an arkfall. Since I started doing that I never get that thing where you show up too late and do your best but don't get alien relic thingies.

Occasionally I will still get there just as it ends and get nothing, but the BMG exploit has improved my willingness to go chasing distant arkfalls substantially.

-edit-

But god damn am I sick of saving up for lockboxes and getting 2 rocket launchers and a grenade launcher every time.

Regina Fong on
    is there a good way to get more mods for guns? I found the vendor who sells various level 1 mods, but the only drops I seem to get are for detonators and infectors and such, never anything for SMG/AR/LMG. There's also no way to remove mods piecemeal, right? Do people just wait to have a full suite to upgrade their guns?

NREqxl5.jpg