As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    heckels wrote: »
    Make it directional instead of pin pointing...

Or make it so that the lighter your mech is, the faster you can move without tripping the sensor.

And also have it detect friendly mechs (since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a seismic sensor to have an IFF receiver). Maybe even make it so your own movement affects the overall effectiveness of the module.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, if they made it so it only worked when you stood still, I think I'd be ok with it (in combination with the range nerf).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Closed on my house.

Not enough left over for Project Ph. :(:(

Wish I could have rolled it into the loan.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    Range nerf is a good start though.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Closed on my house.

Line item: Miscellaneous (drop)ship expenses.
    Congrats on the house purchase btw :^:

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Closed on my house.

Congrats on pledging to a House

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular
    the steam summer sale is really putting things into perspective as to how many great games you can buy with $80......

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Orick wrote: »
    the steam summer sale is really putting things into perspective as to how many great games you can buy with $80......

Meh. I think I've got Steam sale ennui...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Orick wrote: »
    exactly.
    You put it into MWO.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    So I have been trying out this game, since I liked the tabletop version.

Got myself a lazor Centurion (I always loved that mech), took out the missiles, got me some sweet Endosteel, switched the small laser in the arm for a large laser and upgraded the engine. It's fast, takes a beating and can be scary enough. I have two main problems now:

1-Heat builds up too fast once I get in range of the medium lasers.

2-I can't hit the broad side of a barn in this fucking game and it makes me sad :(

I may get some SRM now that they are being buffed up again (in the tabletop they were pure terror) but I always feel unsafe while riding a giant bomb. That's why I don't like ballistics except Gauss.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    So I have been trying out this game, since I liked the tabletop version.

Got myself a lazor Centurion (I always loved that mech), took out the missiles, got me some sweet Endosteel, switched the small laser in the arm for a large laser and upgraded the engine. It's fast, takes a beating and can be scary enough. I have two main problems now:

1-Heat builds up too fast once I get in range of the medium lasers.

Sweet! Hello :)
    You should probably get yourself the Double Heatsinks upgrade. Unfortunately right now it rarely makes sense not to run it when you can afford it.
    I may get some SRM now that they are being buffed up again (in the tabletop they were pure terror) but I always feel unsafe while riding a giant bomb. That's why I don't like ballistics except Gauss.

In this game, the Gauss ammo also doesn't explode... but the Gauss Rifle does.

Kashaar on

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    DHS aren't quite double currently in this game. The ones in the engine are worth double. Any others that you add to the mech, including those which add to the engine are "only" worth 1.4.

There are almost no mechs that don't work better with DHS, and those that do aren't top tier builds anyway.

Think of DHS as a mech tax.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    DHS aren't quite double currently in this game. The ones in the engine are worth double. Any others that you add to the mech, including those which add to the engine are "only" worth 1.4.

There are almost no mechs that don't work better with DHS, and those that do aren't top tier builds anyway.

Think of DHS as a mech tax.

Geth apparently likes the concept of mech tax.

• Options
    So what mechs is everyone going to be busting out for patch day? My HBK-4SP and Jenner-D are definitely going to be getting a run around. Though I'm most excited about my Awesome-8R being splat-tastic!

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble deciding between SRM Quickdraws or speedy brawler Victors for today.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I currently own the following mechs:

JR7-F (Elite, 3xML, 3xSPL, 152kph)
    RVN-3L (Elite, 3xML, 2xSSRM2, 140+kph, ECM, BAP, AMS)
    HBK-4P (Basic, standard 9ML build)
    TBT-3C (Elite, Sprinturion sorta build)
    TBT-5J (Elite, 2xPPC, 3xML, 115kph or so, JJs)
    DRG-Fang (Basic, AC20, 4xML, 85kph)
    DRG-5N (Basic, 2xPPC, 3xMG, 96kph)
    CPLT-K2 (Master, 4xLL build - will change it up if the patch makes it too annoying to use)
    CPLT-C1 (Elite, usually ERPPC/SRM6 build, sometimes LRMs, has Artemis)
    CTF-Ilya (Almost Elite, 2xUAC5+2xLL, or 2xLB10X+2xLL usually)

I only have Seismic (Basic) and Extended Sensor Range unlocked.

Gonna pick up advanced Seismic in about 800GXP, and working towards a third Dragon to elite the Fang and 5N. The only Dragon worth avoiding is the 1N, right? I think that's the one with two hardpoints each in Energy, Ballistic and Missile.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Man I got busy yesterday and you guys post way too fast around here. I was gonna talk about shotguns but I think everything got said. Anyway WHAT UP new robutte thread? When's the Ultracat night happening?

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    ioncacheioncache The MireRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Baby steps...

... Not detectable by Seismic sensors.

But seriously you guys don't really think they're just going to delete it from the game, so you?

Not delete but replace it with something else.

You can't really replace it now due to the way GXP works in the game I don't think.

If they replace it then they have to refund the GXP spent on it to everyone who bought it in case they don't want the replacement. But if they used MC to convert MXP to GXP then they have to refund MC as well. But there would be no way to tell if an MXP conversion done was specifically used for the Seismic purchase. So they'd probably have to over-refund MC just to cover all cases. Essentially they would be giving money back. Not something companies like to do.

ioncache on
    FccUfOu.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Or make it so that the lighter your mech is, the faster you can move without tripping the sensor.

And also have it detect friendly mechs (since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a seismic sensor to have an IFF receiver). Maybe even make it so your own movement affects the overall effectiveness of the module.

It seems like a logical run-through of seismic sensors would be the following:

1) Anything that moves is picked up by the sensor. Perhaps your radar overlay could still show the arrows to help you determine if that seismic hit is a friend or foe, but if you move or your allies move you have to take the second to determine what's causing the hit.

2) As an extension of this, multiple seismic hits clustered together would create a sort of blob of red as you registere multiple seismic hits; this blob could be utilized by light mechs to sneak in, since their own seismic hit will be lost in the sea of red.

3) Perhaps add a tonnage/speed consideration to what shows up on seismic. I'd say that a light mech travelling under a certain speed wouldn't produce a seismic reading, and the range at which a mech shows up on seismic would also be based on tonnage. This would allow you to be sneaky, and also given the fluff behind battletech technology I don't think that seismic sensors need to be perfect anyways.

imperialparadox on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options

1) Anything that moves is picked up by the sensor. Perhaps your radar overlay could still show the arrows to help you determine if that seismic hit is a friend or foe, but if you move or your allies move you have to take the second to determine what's causing the hit.

2) As an extension of this, multiple seismic hits clustered together would create a sort of blob of red as you registere multiple seismic hits; this blob could be utilized by light mechs to sneak in, since their own seismic hit will be lost in the sea of red.

3) Perhaps add a tonnage/speed consideration to what shows up on seismic. I'd say that a light mech travelling under a certain speed wouldn't produce a seismic reading, and the range at which a mech shows up on seismic would also be based on tonnage. This would allow you to be sneaky, and also given the fluff behind battletech technology I don't think that seismic sensors need to be perfect anyways.

I'd like a none definite position for seismic, whether this is via blobbing, directional reporting or something else. Either way the pin point accuracy of it is ridiculous.

The tonnage/speed limit would be really easy to implement too. Just a simple equation taking into account mech size and speed.

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Merry Patchmas everyone!

Should be a good one today so long as they don't introduce any horrible bugs. And or those who get the patch notes, please copy pasta them here for those of us at work.

<3

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options

I'd like a none definite position for seismic, whether this is via blobbing, directional reporting or something else. Either way the pin point accuracy of it is ridiculous.

The tonnage/speed limit would be really easy to implement too. Just a simple equation taking into account mech size and speed.

I agree, seismic should just give you a general sense of where the opposition is at, like "there's a mech somewhere nearby to the north." Instead, it seems incredibly precise, to the point that you can fire a shot in anticipation of somebody poking their head out as the hit starts to move around the corner.

How does the UAV consumable work? It seems like precision enemy detection should be the realm of this item instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    How does the UAV consumable work? It seems like precision enemy detection should be the realm of this item instead.

I dunno, but if a Scout can get one up near the enemy LRM boats or snipers, friendly LRM boats can shoot at them at their leisure.

I'm considering getting it just for that reason but I have no idea how to use it either. I think it works like the air or artillery strike (but I don't know how that works either!).

• Options
    Also I think the fix for seismic is this:

Make it toggle-able (like AMS and TAG are going to be)
    Make it so it senses both friend and foe
    Make it so when you move, you set off your own sensor. So if you are moving at a decent clip or are a large mech, it completely distorts your minimap with your own stomps
    Return the range back to pre-nerf

This means, that if you want to effectively use your sensor you need be completely still, or be lightweight and move slowly. Also, you'll want to turn off your sensor while moving so you don't completely blind yourself with your own stomps.

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'd check out the NGNG podcast, episode...78? 79? The devs talk...a lot...pretty in-depth about different issues, including balance. Bryan Ekman (I think) gave an explanation of their cautious approach to balance tweaking, and hearing it in his own words was comforting.

The thing he stressed was that extremely small tweaks to damage/heat/range/etc. can cause huge shifts in the meta - and they've been collecting data to back that up. I'm sure that effect gets stronger once your game starts nearing "good" balance since smaller advantages are magnified.

This even extends to what the devs *say* is over/underpowered, which is why they tend to stay quiet while everyone flips their shit over SRMs/PPCs. If they acknowledge something sucks or is too good, people change their builds accordingly and then their tracking data get skewed. Hence the "we're looking closely at the ability to melt the face off a Medium mech at 600m. We feel the <I WIN BUTTON> is just about where we want it to be balance-wise, but we may tweak it in the future."

Not that any of this is a revelation, but it shows they're not completely oblivious.

Edit: Data is plural. Sorry, everyone. Sorry.

VedicIntent on
    VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Data is BOTH.

At least according to the almighty Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
    It occurs in two constructions: as a plural noun (like earnings), taking a plural verb and plural modifiers (as these, many, a few) but not cardinal numbers, and serving as a referent for plural pronouns (as they, them); and as an abstract mass noun (like information), taking a singular verb and singular modifiers (as this, much, little), and being referred to by a singular pronoun (it). Both constructions are standard.

emphasis mine. :D

Also, yeah. Now that their weapons guy (whose name escapes me for the moment) is back, I forsee good things on the horizon.

Also also I'm going to actually have to build a sprinturion now that SRMs aren't cotton balls.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The initial incarnation of Piranha Games' MechWarrior reboot[removedyourspamIMGbutkeptitforthemods]

With a name like that, and a post like that, it certainly seems like you're trying to get a few posts under your belt before flooding some spam.

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Tell me about weird tricks, Mr. Forum bot 8->

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Make it toggle-able (like AMS and TAG are going to be)

I mean, options are fine, but why would you toggle TAG off anyways? I could almost see turning AMS off, but I don't think I've ever run out of AMS ammo either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TAG basically draws a line to you for all the enemy to see. If I were flanking, I'd probably want to leave it off until I could TAG from behind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Can't you just stop holding down the TAG button?

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Can't you just stop holding down the TAG button?

Yeah, but holding it on can be annoying.

• Options
    It's currently a real pain moving my grinder off and on the - key on my numberpad whenever I want to turn tag off/on. Also it resets every time I say anything in chat, meaning I have to lift it up and down again.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any tips on decent macro software? I'd like to rid myself of this aforementioned problem also dakka up my dakka.

• Options
    It's currently a real pain moving my grinder off and on the - key on my numberpad whenever I want to turn tag off/on. Also it resets every time I say anything in chat, meaning I have to lift it up and down again.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any tips on decent macro software? I'd like to rid myself of this aforementioned problem also dakka up my dakka.

I was under the impression that macros were borderline not allowed...

But if you're looking for moar dakka on quad AC4s, then there's something I've been meaning to try:
    - Bind all 4 guns to group 4 chainfire off
    - set LMB to fire group 4
    - Bind one gun each to groups 1,2,3
    - When fighting, roll your fingers across 123 then hold the LMB

This should fire any gun as soon as it is ready to fire, and should end up staggering them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

I was under the impression that macros were borderline not allowed...

But if you're looking for moar dakka on quad AC4s, then there's something I've been meaning to try:
    - Bind all 4 guns to group 4 chainfire off
    - set LMB to fire group 4
    - Bind one gun each to groups 1,2,3
    - When fighting, roll your fingers across 123 then hold the LMB

This should fire any gun as soon as it is ready to fire, and should end up staggering them.

I've been doing something similar with my mouse, rolling buttons 1,2,3 and holding 4. It achieves excellent Dakka, but means aiming around corners is a bit of a pain. And now I've changed my build to have 2 ML I need those buttons more than ever. I can still get decent dakka firing left and right side, but it's just not the same. I'll definitely give your idea a go, but it could be difficult when manoeuvring at the same time.

• Options
    Chaining 4 AC/2s sounds cool, but I'd rather all 4 land on the same spot.

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    Sooo...this game boils down to: Get an Alpha-optimized mech, hide behind a rock, blow someone up, hide behind the rock again? That's what I keep seeing. Alpha strike was fine in the board game with the randomized hit locations, but with this pinpoint accuracy is a bit ridiculous. No point in configuring mechs for sustained combat.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am excited for tonight. My dual SRM4 2D is getting a really nice damage boost. Also should get its XL engine tonight if I get a few good games going.

Of course after the All Star game.

Also the victor is interesting me now. I made a fun little brawler. Is it good? Not really. Fun? Looks like a lot of fun. Chaining the AC/2, the large lasers for range and some srms for if things get too close.

I think it probably runs a bit hot though. Could change the llas to mlas and use the weight for some extra heat sinks.

Victor Five Spice [VTR-9B]: 2xLLAS, 2xSRM4, AMS, 3xAC/2, 280XL, DHS, Endo

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    The 9B is on my short list to buy. The 3 AC2s on an assault platform makes me chuckle.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Sooo...this game boils down to: Get an Alpha-optimized mech, hide behind a rock, blow someone up, hide behind the rock again? That's what I keep seeing. Alpha strike was fine in the board game with the randomized hit locations, but with this pinpoint accuracy is a bit ridiculous. No point in configuring mechs for sustained combat.

Well this has been true in all pc mechwarrior games. Just because punishing a player with randomized hit location when they have good aim doesn't do well.

But this isn't 100% true. I run a dual AC10 jaeger. Not enough alpha damage to not brawl. And the heat changes will effect the alpha strikers much more than brawlers with a mixed load out.

Mechs are still not as tough as you would think if you have only played the table top but a good pilot, max armor and some good twist you can spread the damage around and get a good brawl going.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png