As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    In my mind I fantisized "heat multiplier" as a literal multiplier of the heat value. I then enjoyed a mental picture of what that would look like.

AC/40 Jager = Grenade under a garbage can

VT09mOz.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Just did two games as my 2D which is running dual SRM4s.

The damage I was doing was much better than before. Cleaned out a Quickdraw and the back of a hunchback.

Actually saw not one but two hunchbacks out there. Also a huge amount of srm boats and no ppc boats.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    The "Scale Multiplier" is pretty ambiguous at the moment. The fact that the word multiply is used there must mean something is getting multiplied right?

Exactly!

The best I can think of is that it's added to each base heat fired beyond the max limit. Actually multiplying anything with that scale makes some ridiculously hot (AC/20) or has no effect (MLas). My best guess is that it's like this:

1 PPCs = 8 = 8
    2 PPCs = 8 + 8 = 16
    3 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) = 31
    4 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) = 46
    5 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7)= 61
    6 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) = 76

EDIT - I think this is how it works based on the evidence that the new heat scaling penalty was touted to be "exponential". Event this clearly isn't.

Unless it's ...

1 PPCs = 8 = 8
    2 PPCs = 8 + 8 = 16
    4 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7) = 53
    5 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7 + 7)= 82
    6 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7) = 118

That'd get you the exponential factor.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    I don't normally wade into the muck that is the official forums, but I couldn't help myself after a patch this big.
    The Jagerbomb pilots are all having meltdowns, and it is GLORIOUS.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    The whining about the seismic is more interesting to me. Because that thing is still amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So the pinpoint alpha issues aren't fixed, but the game is now a helluva lot closer to its better states than it is to the PPC shitfest. Yeah, people are still doing high-alpha builds, but without them being doable on practically any mech (because you pretty much need to have a gauss rifle to be able to do high-alpha damage still). Played about a half-dozen games and there were PPCs aplenty, but not one match managed to be completely dominated by alpha-pinpoint builds; lasers and SRMs all over the place as well, and actually getting to do things. Stomps still happen, obviously, but we're mostly back to shitty players running off and ruining games rather than shitty balance ruining the game; both of the worst games I had were because of the classic "everybody go a different way!" pubs stupidity, but I take solace in the fact that both stomps were also done through a mix of combat, including some nasty brawling, instead of people turning corners and alpha-striking people to death in a second or two. I saw a Jagerbomb and a dual gauss jager in the same match; the Jagerbomb got murdered because it having to chain-fire DRASTICALLY reduced its effectiveness, and the dual gauss Jager went down because of the XL engine and low fire rate. Ended up being a brutally close, awesome match right up until the last 30 seconds.

Still think the overheat penalty is far, far too lenient in terms of rate of damage; the lower value means you take the damage easier, but it's still laughably neglible damage and you have to be overheated FOREVER for it to matter much. And the hit detection issues are still there, which is pretty aggravating when an AC/20 is your main weapon on a mech.

Overall, a vast VAST improvement.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also, how big a deal is the streak change? Where were they normally hitting before? I can't tell if it's a good or bad thing, though I want to say they usually seemed to strike center.

It is a nerf they will spread more like lrms now.

But LRMs still preferentially target the CT sometimes.

There are times when LRMs don't target the center torso? I disbelieve the illusion.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Just played a few games with Pablocampy.

Converted my 1xgauss 2xppc 3xssrm DDC into a 1xgauss 2xLL 3xSRM6+A.

The verdict: The extra damage at close range is incredible - if it connects. Missile detection is awful. basically flip a coin to see if you deal damage.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular

The verdict: The extra damage at close range is incredible - if it connects. Missile detection is awful. basically flip a coin to see if you deal damage.

Yeah, getting hits with SRMs seems really weird right now...

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    The VTR-9S with 3xSRM6 fires the SRMs in a staggered pattern, rather than a single burst. The bay door button ('/') does nothing.

If that's the new missile behavior, I hope they go back and fix it for the older mechs, rather than having new mechs suffer from a design change that reduces the effectiveness of missiles.

The pattern of 3xSRM6 in the VTR-9S looks to be 13 missiles, then 3, then 2. That's just odd.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

This is because there is an issue with HSR and SRMS. This is what they are in the process of fixing but the community wanted a damage buff in the meantime.

So you get Missiles that do damage but the hits are wonky because the mechanic governing the hit is flawed right now.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    kilnborn wrote: »
    The VTR-9S with 3xSRM6 fires the SRMs in a staggered pattern, rather than a single burst. The bay door button ('/') does nothing.

If that's the new missile behavior, I hope they go back and fix it for the older mechs, rather than having new mechs suffer from a design change that reduces the effectiveness of missiles.

The pattern of 3xSRM6 in the VTR-9S looks to be 13 missiles, then 3, then 2. That's just odd.

Well I guess 13-3-2 is better than 6-6-6 but it makes zero sense. And yeah, they need to be consistent.

@Kilnborn, can you test and see what happens with, say, 2xSRM6? Can it push 12 missiles at once (seems like it should if it fires 13 in the first wave with 3xSRM6) or does it stagger no matter what?

Gaslight on
    Also the new alpha build I saw in my last game was a Victor sporting 1 gauss and 2 ppcs.

It was vicious.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2013

Well I guess 13-3-2 is better than 6-6-6 but it makes zero sense. And yeah, they need to be consistent.

Hmmmm. The model for the VTR-9S adds 6 more tubes when you add the second SRM6, and then adding the third SRM6 doesn't change the model. So it's got 12 tubes showing now.

If I set all 3 launchers to different weapon groups, here's what I get:

Launcher 1 fired: 6 missiles at once.
    Launcher 2 fired: 4 missiles, then 2.
    Launcher 3 fired: 2, then 2, then 2.

And combo of launchers fired gives the expected result.
    Firing 1 and 3 gives 8, 2, 2.
    Firing 1 and 2 gives 10, 2.
    Firing 2 and 3 gives 6, 4, 2.
    Firing 1, 2 and 3 gives 12, 4, 2.

Edit:

Looks like I went and did what you asked before you asked, Gaslight. (2 & 3 is 6, 4, 2 not 6, 2, 2)

kilnborn on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Hmmmm. The model for the VTR-9S adds 6 more tubes when you add the second SRM6, and then adding the third SRM6 doesn't change the model. So it's got 12 tubes showing now.

If I set all 3 launchers to different weapon groups, here's what I get:

Launcher 1 fired: 6 missiles at once.
    Launcher 2 fired: 4 missiles, then 2.
    Launcher 3 fired: 2, then 2, then 2.

And combo of launchers fired gives the expected result.
    Firing 1 and 3 gives 8, 2, 2.
    Firing 1 and 2 gives 10, 2.
    Firing 2 and 3 gives 6, 2, 2.
    Firing 1, 2 and 3 gives 12, 4, 2.

Edit:

Looks like I went and did what you asked before you asked, Gaslight.

That is bizzare and doesn't really match up with how any other mech out there deals with missiles. I'd submit it as a bug.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

This is because there is an issue with HSR and SRMS. This is what they are in the process of fixing but the community wanted a damage buff in the meantime.

So you get Missiles that do damage but the hits are wonky because the mechanic governing the hit is flawed right now.

To elaborate, they specifically said that they're not even sure what the full issue is but that it's clearly complex and not to expect an imminent fix because tracking down the issue is proving horrifically difficult.

I'm sad that the 5xLLAS Cataphract lost a lot of its punch, but overall sounds like a really great patch. Seismic definitely needed that nerf and probably needs more, it's still insanely powerful.

Ok, more testing shows:

The VTR-9S model without weapons in the left torso has no tubes showing. Add an SRM6, and 6 tubes appear. Add another SRM6 and 4 more tubes appear. Add a third SRM6 and 2 more tubes appear.

Therefore, the missile slots are 6 tube, 4 tube, 2 tube slots. Obviously not a bug, just intended to make the newer mechs worse with SRM bursts than older mechs. As long as they go back and modify the existing mechs, this isn't an issue.

Oh well.

• BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    I CALL THIS PATCH,

A GREAT SUCCESS.

Infact, this patch is so fucking good, that i'm going to stream tonight in holy balls 1080i (Or try at least). I'll probably start around 6 PM EST.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
    I am proud of my last match on my 2D. Started off down one due to a disconnect. So I figured I would circle around to capture their base. Got it to about 1/4 left when a hurt Hunchback 4SP comes around. I end up taking him down but lose my leg in the process. I hide behind the base and it takes a ppc winning the game.

4SP's are much more vicious with the new srms buffs now. He hurt.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Looking over item stats file comparison. Two added variables on the weapons, heatpenalty and minheatpenaltylevel.

Damage on SRM2,4 and 6 changed to 2.0 from 1.5.
    Damage on Flamer changed to 0.7 from 0.4.
    Damage on Large Pulse Laser changed to 10.6 from 10.
    Damage on Small Pulse Laser changed to 3.4 from 3.
    Damage on Machine Gun changed to 0.1 from 0.08.

There are some other changes, QKD-4G, -4h, and -5k mentioned, HBK-4PC, JR7-DS and AS7-RSC along with some Victor's. Plus some new cockpit junk.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    Ok, so guys, do you think 2 large lasers and 2 medium lasers are very low firepower for a medium mech?

I seem to do very little damage and I don't know if I gimped myself with my design or I just need to HIT MOAR SHOTS.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Ok, so guys, do you think 2 large lasers and 2 medium lasers are very low firepower for a medium mech?

I seem to do very little damage and I don't know if I gimped myself with my design or I just need to HIT MOAR SHOTS.

It's 27 damage. You could probably do better, but it's not as bad as you think.

Hit moar shots, it is.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So I dig the new patch and all, but why the fuck is Alpine even in the current rotation? It's always been bad, but now it's a complete and total shit-awful rotten piece of horrible for the side they doesn't get to start by the mountain. The only way to get up it from the other side of the map is by going all the way around or by going up the horrendously open gradual slope; in either case, the enemy team can just stand up there and pound you.

PGI needs to just pull the map entirely, because damn, that is some incredible imbalance for a map.

edited July 2013

Depends on your hardpoint layout (which mech?), but yeah, that's kind of weak for a medium mech. You should be able to fit 4 MLAS and 2 LLAS, or fit some missiles on there, unless you're making a very fast medium (sprinturion) or a cicada, which is just a light with a gland problem.

CarbonFire on
  • imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Keep in mind that lasers are applied as damage over time, so if your aim isn't steady it will spread over a few sections of the other mech. No idea what mech your running but it sounds like you could stuff more weapons in there as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox

I assume you mean on a CN9-AL. Adding Endo and DHS, dropping the armor in the legs down to 39 each, you can fit in 2 large, 2 medium, 2 streak SRMs w/1 ton of ammo, and 3 more heatsinks, all while upgrading to a standard 250 engine.

Upping that to a 275XL gives you 4 more heatsinks and 47/48 armor on each leg, and quite a bit more speed.

• mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Looking over item stats file comparison. Two added variables on the weapons, heatpenalty and minheatpenaltylevel.

Damage on SRM2,4 and 6 changed to 2.0 from 1.5.
    Damage on Flamer changed to 0.7 from 0.4.
    Damage on Large Pulse Laser changed to 10.6 from 10.
    Damage on Small Pulse Laser changed to 3.4 from 3.
    Damage on Machine Gun changed to 0.1 from 0.08.

There are some other changes, QKD-4G, -4h, and -5k mentioned, HBK-4PC, JR7-DS and AS7-RSC along with some Victor's. Plus some new cockpit junk.

That's interesting...splas are already really good in the right situation...

So I dig the new patch and all, but why the fuck is Alpine even in the current rotation? It's always been bad, but now it's a complete and total shit-awful rotten piece of horrible for the side they doesn't get to start by the mountain. The only way to get up it from the other side of the map is by going all the way around or by going up the horrendously open gradual slope; in either case, the enemy team can just stand up there and pound you.

PGI needs to just pull the map entirely, because damn, that is some incredible imbalance for a map.

Its fun with 12v12 (No joke).

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
    BillGates wrote: »

Then I say keep it there. And out of the 8v8 rotation.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Yeah I'd rather they not do that because I actually have enjoyed Alpine the last few weeks I've played it. :P

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    The "Scale Multiplier" is pretty ambiguous at the moment. The fact that the word multiply is used there must mean something is getting multiplied right?

Exactly!

The best I can think of is that it's added to each base heat fired beyond the max limit. Actually multiplying anything with that scale makes some ridiculously hot (AC/20) or has no effect (MLas). My best guess is that it's like this:

1 PPCs = 8 = 8
    2 PPCs = 8 + 8 = 16
    4 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) = 46
    5 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7)= 61
    6 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7) = 76

EDIT - I think this is how it works based on the evidence that the new heat scaling penalty was touted to be "exponential". Event this clearly isn't.

Unless it's ...

1 PPCs = 8 = 8
    2 PPCs = 8 + 8 = 16
    4 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7) = 53
    5 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7 + 7)= 82
    6 PPCs = 8 + 8 + (8 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7 + 7) + (8 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7) = 118

That'd get you the exponential factor.

This is close to what real life examples are showing but its still slightly off. Could be the Heat Capacity basic skill throwing off results.

Or isn't there already a more basic alpha penalty that we are forgetting about?

Capsaicin on
    capsaicin_zps254b275f.png

Guess what? You are beta testing the map in a game thats in beta, if it wasn't there, it wouldn't have all the bug fixes it already received.

Not to mention a whole slew of new fixes will need to be applied because of the new mech movement.

I would rather suffer now in 8v8 then suffer in 12v12 with a map full of issues and stuck points.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Guess what? You are beta testing the map in a game thats in beta, if it wasn't there, it wouldn't have all the bug fixes it already received.

Not to mention a whole slew of new fixes will need to be applied because of the new mech movement.

I would rather suffer now in 8v8 then suffer in 12v12 with a map full of issues and stuck points.

My distaste for Alpine has nothing to do with any bugs. Alpine is just a shit map design.

My distaste for Alpine has nothing to do with any bugs. Alpine is just a shit map design.

Have you tried it in the 12v12 test? It's actually not that bad, dare i say...even fun in 12v12.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Victor w/ Buccaneer and Oosik Parade
    Word on the shoulder is "REUS" j1O6PLR.jpgt4Nd3E5.jpgJXRw6kI.jpg

• WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    the founder C1 is a rustbucket now. it is awesome :)

253J736.png
    edited July 2013

Yeah I'd rather they not do that because I actually have enjoyed Alpine the last few weeks I've played it. :P

That's nice, but objectively, it's nightmarishly imbalanced with the movement system. One massive, easily-defendable piece of high ground with open sight lines in all directions and enough space for ranged units to easily stand back and pelt climbers with LRMs as long as they're in range and with PPCs and gauss as soon as they climb up. Hell, they can even watch and defend their base from up there.

Even with the screwups PGI has made, I'm genuinely astonished even they could allow a map to be so poorly designed in favor of one team and leave it in rotation. It needs some serious, serious reworking before even being considered playable.

EDIT: PPCs are still extremely OP, but the heat scale nerf has at least knocked them down so brawlers can still be in decent enough shape to close and fight. Still stupid shit like getting one-shotted by PPC + gauss builds, but it takes very specific mechs for it.

Poptarting seems to have made a huge comeback, though. Everybody is doing it again, with simply too much effectiveness. I have no freaking clue why PGI decided to adjust that back down when that issue was basically dealt with. Still, not nearly as bad as before.

Ninja Snarl P on

I assume you mean on a CN9-AL. Adding Endo and DHS, dropping the armor in the legs down to 39 each, you can fit in 2 large, 2 medium, 2 streak SRMs w/1 ton of ammo, and 3 more heatsinks, all while upgrading to a standard 250 engine.

Upping that to a 275XL gives you 4 more heatsinks and 47/48 armor on each leg, and quite a bit more speed.

It is a CN9-AL. I made some modifications and added a SRM 4, this should help when things get hairy. Thanks!

I have had less issues with Alpine. It is just big. I am developing some major hate for River City especially the night version.

u7stthr17eud.png