As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Apparently there is a freeze bug at the drop preparation screen. Or maybe it's just me.

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Of course it's not going to be taken out of rotation. They aren't going to admit a failure to that extent. It would look too bad to be seemingly stepping backward on content that close to official launch.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I have had less issues with Alpine. It is just big. I am developing some major hate for River City especially the night version.

The problem with Alpine isn't that it's big, it's this (Mvrk had this up a ways back):
    LbjCiZr.jpg?1

Huge-ass map, and a quarter to a third of it actually gets used for 90+ percent of the gameplay, all of it around the horribad mountains and most of that around the one single mountain. It's a crappy map with crappy design that's mostly garbage. If you drew a symmetrical line between both bases, you can see that the vast majority of the fighting happens where one team always has the high ground advantage.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    So here are my results using an Atlas-RS with 19 DHS and all basic skills.

4 PPCs Calculated:

12%
    25%
    49.5%
    84%

4 PPCs Actual:

12%
    25%
    52%
    92%

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    BillGates wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So I dig the new patch and all, but why the fuck is Alpine even in the current rotation? It's always been bad, but now it's a complete and total shit-awful rotten piece of horrible for the side they doesn't get to start by the mountain. The only way to get up it from the other side of the map is by going all the way around or by going up the horrendously open gradual slope; in either case, the enemy team can just stand up there and pound you.

PGI needs to just pull the map entirely, because damn, that is some incredible imbalance for a map.

Its fun with 12v12 (No joke).

Then I say keep it there. And out of the 8v8 rotation.

Guess what? You are beta testing the map in a game thats in beta, if it wasn't there, it wouldn't have all the bug fixes it already received.

Not to mention a whole slew of new fixes will need to be applied because of the new mech movement.

I would rather suffer now in 8v8 then suffer in 12v12 with a map full of issues and stuck points.

My distaste for Alpine has nothing to do with any bugs. Alpine is just a shit map design.

You know "testing" includes user experiences and they gather data on where fights happen. I expect the map is designed for 12 v 12 fights and it would not surprise me if they eventually roll out a separate version for 8v8 fights.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I don't normally wade into the muck that is the official forums, but I couldn't help myself after a patch this big.
    The Jagerbomb pilots are all having meltdowns, and it is GLORIOUS.

I love this: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/123394-announcing-the-ac40-jager-pilot-support-group/, PRESCIENTLY POSTED ON 19 JUNE.
    In these difficult times, AC40 Jagers are becoming a much more familiar sight on the battlefields of MWO. This thread is to ask that we, as a caring gaming community, come together to support these poor souls.

As we all know, AC40 Jagers are, in effect, a cry for help. Mounting not one, but two of the highest damage weapons in the game, is the Loadout of Last Resort for disillusioned and low-skilled pilots. It's the bottom of the barrel Mech for pilots who, after match after relentless match of being unable to hold lasers on target, or land SRMs or smaller ACs, finally come to terms with their inability to aim beyond short range and push the mouse button more than once per four seconds.

Feeling sorry for AC40 pilots is not enough. We need to help them gain the skills that may one day be necessary, should the fickle dead hand of PGI suddenly pluck away the crutch that presently supports them.

A two-stage intervention is needed, for each AC40 Jagermech we encounter.

First, we should remove one - but only one - of their arms. By constraining these pilots to only one AC20, we can start gradually weaning them off the close range insta-death-blows to which they've sadly become addicted.

Second, we should remove one - but only one - of their legs. This will get them accustomed to moving at the slower speed of an Assault... which is the actual speed which a Mech dealing 40 damage should be moving at.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I would be curious to see a similar map of non-alpine maps. Alpine and River City are two maps that make me want to run a mech with jj but I mostly just having boring matches where I run around the side and cap a base.

Also I can see where it is moved to 12v12 only if it is fun in 12v12 and they replace it with a smaller version for 8v8.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Hoooo, man. Only had time for a few matches, but the game is already playing better. My new Victor-9K with AC20, 3 MLAS, 2ASRM6, 6JJ, XL360 is ROCKING faces. I'll post the build later if anyone is interested, just @ me.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    i'll be on later tonight.

let's see how I can turn my com-2d into a bomb runner with the new srms

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I would be curious to see a similar map of non-alpine maps. Alpine and River City are two maps that make me want to run a mech with jj but I mostly just having boring matches where I run around the side and cap a base.

Also I can see where it is moved to 12v12 only if it is fun in 12v12 and they replace it with a smaller version for 8v8.

Is 8 v 8 going to be an option after 12 v 12 is implemented?

I was under the impression it was replacing 8 v 8, not co-existing beside it.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So the takeaway I'm getting from all of this is that the Gaussomets is now the top dog of the campus pile

:D

Pshoo!

Gauss rifles need a better noise.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Hoooo, man. Only had time for a few matches, but the game is already playing better. My new Victor-9K with AC20, 3 MLAS, 2ASRM6, 6JJ, XL360 is ROCKING faces. I'll post the build later if anyone is interested, just @ me.

Yeah, bought the 9S. Nearly the same loadout. Started with SRM6x3, but after seeing how the missile tubes work, went with SRM6 + SRM4 + SRM2 + AMS. Same engine (it's just a natural fit in that mech).

How's yours on ammo? 4 tons AC/20 + 2 tons SRM looks like it's going to be tight.

• Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Second, we should remove one - but only one - of their legs. This will get them accustomed to moving at the slower speed of an Assault... which is the actual speed which a Mech dealing 40 damage should be moving at.

Bwuh? My Hunchback does 35 alpha...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing a different game than most of these people.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »

Yeah, bought the 9S. Nearly the same loadout. Started with SRM6x3, but after seeing how the missile tubes work, went with SRM6 + SRM4 + SRM2 + AMS. Same engine (it's just a natural fit in that mech).

How's yours on ammo? 4 tons AC/20 + 2 tons SRM looks like it's going to be tight.

Three tons of gauss and two tons of SRM, turns out to be plenty.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I just played a few rounds with some friends of mine.

We saw: Tons of people that boated PPCs/AC20s/etc whining that the game was ruined.

We did: Kill every motherfucker we came across.

We won: Every single fucking game except one. (We're normally closer to 50/50 with slightly more losses)

I like this patch. I like this patch a lot. It is a good patch.

It's proof that people were relying on 'boating' and not 'piloting their goddamned mechs'.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Going out to eat, i'll stream when i get back if no one else is already streaming.

edit, and yeah Delph you're right. 8v8 is being replaced by 12v12.

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So I dig the new patch and all, but why the fuck is Alpine even in the current rotation? It's always been bad, but now it's a complete and total shit-awful rotten piece of horrible for the side they doesn't get to start by the mountain. The only way to get up it from the other side of the map is by going all the way around or by going up the horrendously open gradual slope; in either case, the enemy team can just stand up there and pound you.

PGI needs to just pull the map entirely, because damn, that is some incredible imbalance for a map.

Welcome to one patch ago :P

In other news: This patch is so goddamn awesome, I love it! It might just be the chaos before a new meta settles in, but this is incredible. Also, the Quadapult and even the Facemelter are still viable unchanged, you just need to set up your weapon groups differently and only alpha strike as a last resort. And it's incredible how this changes the way the entire game is played. I am in <3

I love the new heat damage at 100% change as well. Killed a Victor in my Boomflame (AC20, 4x MLs), overheated on my killing blow, and then immediately blew up myself :D

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Organized groups feel like they just shred pubbies now. Like a lot worse than usual. Or maybe I haven't played with Oosiks in a while. Either way its nice to not get randomly two shot anymore.

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    GREAT games with some Oosiks before dinner. The one game I thought we were gonna lose we ended up winning. Shit is way more balanced now!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Considering running Victors as super heavvy Dragons

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Can't wait until the far-future date when we get LBX-20s.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

Welcome to one patch ago :P

Haha, yeah, I actually hadn't even been on Alpine for... two patches, before this one? But still, amazed and mystified that it's around with the current movement stuff.
    Selecta wrote: »
    Organized groups feel like they just shred pubbies now. Like a lot worse than usual. Or maybe I haven't played with Oosiks in a while. Either way its nice to not get randomly two shot anymore.

Oosik premades almost always shredded pub games, but now everybody that has been Jagerbombing/PPC-boating non-stop is having to adjust to having to generally work for damage. In a couple of the matches I've had today, I took serious damage early on and still was able to make some stellar contributions because people are just not accustomed to dealing with weakened targets without massive alpha damage as a crutch.

And I was using mediums. I haven't been able to properly enjoy medium mechs since... March?

Folks are still trying to find the easiest, most-exploitable builds, though, so there's still cheese out there; just not enough that it completely overwhelms a competent team any more.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

@Mazzyx

https://mwomercs.com/static//img/heatmaps/

Enjoy seeing just how terrible Alpine is compared to every other map besides Caustic in terms of area where fights occur.

• Options
    In other news: This patch is so goddamn awesome, I love it! It might just be the chaos before a new meta settles in, but this is incredible. Also, the Quadapult and even the Facemelter are still viable unchanged, you just need to set up your weapon groups differently and only alpha strike as a last resort. And it's incredible how this changes the way the entire game is played. I am in <3

I love the new heat damage at 100% change as well. Killed a Victor in my Boomflame (AC20, 4x MLs), overheated on my killing blow, and then immediately blew up myself :D

2xERLL + 2xLL might be better in the X-Wing now. You can alpha strike more, and the extended range on the arm lasers gives you a better long-range punch.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Just came across a team with 3 Victor PPC + gauss loadouts and a PPC Stalker as part of a premade.

Breaking the game with PPCs is harder, but still completely doable by douchebags.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Its going to be interesting with the meta regressing to its state 4 months ago. But I'd fight SRM brawls any day of the week over "lets see whats over this hill, oh hi, instant death". Plus, nerfed streaks, FINALLY.

I'd imagine Gauss will come back in a pretty big way, but at least that's limited by ammo, and they'll have to make it last longer against 50% more stompy robots soon.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Mazzyx

Enjoy seeing just how terrible Alpine is compared to every other map besides Caustic in terms of area where fights occur.

Looks more average than I think you make it out to be. River City is the most spread out. Frozen City all gets in one chunk with the cave in second. And Tourmaline Desert is all one giant line down the middle with dots for the two capture points on the side.

I think to tell the truth the mountain may be the biggest issue with Alpine. But I can't bring my hatred to the same level as you. Personally I think some of the other maps are more telling.

Let us look at Tourmaline Desert.

Movement Map:
    movement.jpg

Death Map:
    kills.jpg

The movement is one giant line getting to death zone in the middle ignoring 90% of the map. And isn't much worse than Alpine.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Why do people think that 50% more robots means you'll need more ammo? You'll have 50% more robots on your side with ammo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

2xERLL + 2xLL might be better in the X-Wing now. You can alpha strike more, and the extended range on the arm lasers gives you a better long-range punch.

I doubt it, to be honest. ERLL have never been worth it with the stupid unrealistic distance blur, and even less so now with the new heat/nv modes... and while it does change the play style a bit to shoot 2 + 2 instead of alpha'ing 4 at once, the higher base heat of ERs makes them more or less unfeasible in non-alpha shooting.

tl;dr: ERLL bad.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Haven't played in like a week. Patching now, hopefully I'll get some play in. Summer Dale has been eating all of my time.

Also, Kerbal Space Program, that shit is too cool.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Why do people think that 50% more robots means you'll need more ammo? You'll have 50% more robots on your side with ammo.
    But chances are they'll be chucklefucks who couldn't kill a 'Mech if it stood still and waited to die.

• Options

I doubt it, to be honest. ERLL have never been worth it with the stupid unrealistic distance blur, and even less so now with the new heat/nv modes... and while it does change the play style a bit to shoot 2 + 2 instead of alpha'ing 4 at once, the higher base heat of ERs makes them more or less unfeasible in non-alpha shooting.

tl;dr: ERLL bad.

Yeah, just tried it out. It runs cooler on nothing but alphas than 4xLL, but only a few percent. ERLLs generate a metric crapton of heat by themselves, without any "penalties".

I tried 2xPPC + 2xLL the other night to see if that would be a viable build in the K2, and couldn't stand it.

In other news: Chain-firing AC/20s in an elited Jager incurs the heat penalty (because you're firing inside the 0.5s window.... 0.48s I think with the fast fire boost).

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

it actually is a factor to your stamina. There will be times, and I'd think more often than not, where ammo dependant mechs will engage for the full duration of a fight.
    How many times have you run out or come close to running out of ammo in an 8v8 fight? how many times have you had teammates knocked out in the opening minutes of
    a skirmish?

You are going to wish you had an extra ton of ammo at the ass end of fights, especially if you had been engaging since the opening salvos.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

It is not. Or at least, not better due to heat. I tested it out earlier, the LL penalty is actually less than
    Mvrck wrote: »

Mazzyx

Looks more average than I think you make it out to be. River City is the most spread out. Frozen City all gets in one chunk with the cave in second. And Tourmaline Desert is all one giant line down the middle with dots for the two capture points on the side.

I think to tell the truth the mountain may be the biggest issue with Alpine. But I can't bring my hatred to the same level as you. Personally I think some of the other maps are more telling.

Let us look at Tourmaline Desert.

Movement Map:
    movement.jpg

Death Map:
    kills.jpg

The movement is one giant line getting to death zone in the middle ignoring 90% of the map. And isn't much worse than Alpine.

The deaths on every other map but caustic almost uniformally occur in and around a ton of cover. The deaths on Alpine almost all occur in a giant wide open field where you're forced to get into sniping contests, or do a light brigade charge against a foe on the high ground.

On the other maps, you get red spots in caves, Tourmaline is as big as Alpine, FYI, and yet has a much better distribution, and actually uses the whole map. You can see via movement and deaths that people actually fight over all the control points. There's also the problem with Tourmaline having idiot snipers with the current meta sit and die. I boldly predict that the map gets way more spread out in the coming weeks because you won't be able to rack up kills sniping in the mid ground now. There are a ton of spots on Tourmaline to flank, and now that you can close and kill things in brawling range again, I bet we see it shift back.

• Options
    edited July 2013

it actually is a factor to your stamina. There will be times, and I'd think more often than not, where ammo dependant mechs will engage for the full duration of a fight.
    How many times have you run out or come close to running out of ammo in an 8v8 fight? how many times have you had teammates knocked out in the opening minutes of
    a skirmish?

You are going to wish you had an extra ton of ammo at the ass end of fights, especially if you had been engaging since the opening salvos.
    But I have 50% more allies to kill those 50% more enemies. The only time I would worry about more ammo is when I'm severely outnumbered, in which case I'm likely to die anyway.

edit: Let me explain it like this. I have LOTS more ammo. It is just stored on other mechs. With other guns.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular

a skirmish?

But I have 50% more allies to kill those 50% more enemies. The only time I would worry about more ammo is when I'm severely outnumbered, in which case I'm likely to die anyway.

You are assuming those 50% extra allies are just as skilled as those 50% extra enemies. It will never come out that way. More often then not, your enemies will always be better then your allies. You can't imagine the game in a vacuum, because it's not.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to play MWO again when I get home tomorrow.

• Options
    edited July 2013

a skirmish?

You are assuming those 50% extra allies are just as skilled as those 50% extra enemies. It will never come out that way. More often then not, your enemies will always be better then your allies. You can't imagine the game in a vacuum, because it's not.
    You assume *I* would be as skilled as those 50% extra allies. Seriously, I don't win or lose games by myself.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guys! I just legged someone! With STREAKS!